AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 38 20.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 61 33.70%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 41 22.65%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 12.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 4.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 3.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.55%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.55%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-18, 16:38   Link #181
Yami Sonozaki
Shion's follower xD

Send a message via MSN to Yami Sonozaki Send a message via Yahoo to Yami Sonozaki
Yeah, I agree too, he was cool xd.
Old 2009-07-18, 16:42   Link #182
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

I suppose playing Phoenix Wright helped in easily getting used to Battler's over-the-top coolness.
Old 2009-07-18, 16:43   Link #183
Kitsu
The unlucky one

I can be a nitpick after watching somethin two times, the first time I watched it and then the glass broke thingy effect it was really impressive but watching it a second time I don't like it that much.

Spoiler for VN=Anime comparison, missing scene:

Btw I just noticed something...which kinda shocked me....in the anime Kanon is a little or a bit more (especially with hat) taller as Jessica... on the whole he became rather tall. He reaches till Genji's ears/eyes and Battlers forehead. What about fragil and not having his growth spurt

Ah and yes chronotrig I'll keep that in mind
Old 2009-07-18, 16:56   Link #184
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think at this point I can only think that the odd one is Battler. He is way shorter than he is supposed to be. He isn't much taller than Jessica either. Also Shannon is pretty much the same height as Kanon as shown in ep1-2. So it's not Kanon that's tall, it's Battler that's short.

Old 2009-07-18, 17:05   Link #185
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Yeah, you are right. The way he is in the anime, Jessica would have never called him a giant like she did in the VN.

But it still shocks me that Kanon is taller than Jessica, I always thought he was smaller. The same with Shannon, expecially with Shannon I thought she was was smaller than Jessica, I mean Jessica is older and stuff.
Edit: Something that exactly describes my feelings about Kanon's high, okay maybe not that extreme but
Spoiler for high:
Old 2009-07-18, 17:20   Link #186
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Higurashi wasn't bad necessarily, but Umineko has been so much more watchable for me just because Battler > Keichii. Also, this series is associated too much with Touhou in my mind, so some things just become inadvertantly funny to me.
Old 2009-07-18, 17:34   Link #187
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Also, this series is associated too much with Touhou in my mind, so some things just become inadvertantly funny to me.
That's interesting. I know practically nothing about touhou, I can barely recognize the main characters. What make you think they are related?

Old 2009-07-18, 17:56   Link #188
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
That's interesting. I know practically nothing about touhou, I can barely recognize the main characters. What make you think they are related?
The original VN drops lots of references to Touhou, and supposedly the author has mentioned that certain characters are inspired by Touhou characters. Plus, every time I see Beatrice, I always imagine her as Yukari, especially in that scene where Beatrice had an umbrella.
Old 2009-07-18, 18:20   Link #189
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Talking

Oh gawd, my heart is falling out of my chest. Just more s**t hitting the fan. Now I ask this, considering what's happening now are they going to be able to cover the entire visual novel in 26 eps or less? And is it possible to get a season 2? I don't want to feel like they're throwing everything in at once. I mean it's only ep. 3.

This show is really something and I'm enjoying it. And Maria is creeping me out man.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
Old 2009-07-18, 18:26   Link #190
Kitsu
The unlucky one

The chance for a second season is reaaaaaaaally high since they will need them for the answer arks. And yes they will able to cover it (or so I think). And actually there are four VN's covered in season 1 and four that will (or should) be covered in season 2.
Old 2009-07-18, 18:38   Link #191
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Well considering that in Higurashi's case they crammed 6 arcs in 26 episodes and now there are only 4 which can be covered right now, I also think the chance for a complete, not too rushed, covering is pretty high.

Of course the adaption can never be 100% faithfull, but looking at other adaptions and seeing what DEEN managed regarding Higurashi, I'm pretty sure that they will pull through quite nicely.

I mean, looking at adaptions of some light novels, manga etc. that are not even the size of what the When they Cry universe is and seeing how much they screwed up there....I think they are doing a rather good job.
Some people say Umineko is more or less only a teaser of the VN, while I understand that, what would you call stuff like Fate Stay/Night which was basically only the fight scenes animated while cutting the good endings out. Or Mushi-Uta, which was then only some pages ripped from a rather good novel...still I found the anime enjoyable.
Old 2009-07-18, 19:16   Link #192
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
To Kitsu and chounokoe I thank you for your input.

Wow, I never knew. But then again I don't much about VNs as I've never played them. So I wouldn't know what to expect since the anime is one medium adapting another. So this is someone a new experience for me as a long time anime fan. But hey, at least 'Ryukishi07' seems pleased with the direction. I read an interview (in either 'NTUSA' or Otaku USA) where 'Ryukishi07' stated that he was pleased with the direction of 'When they Cry'. I think it was the 2nd season. So again with the same director at the helm you can't go wrong.

So if they cover a good chunk of the chapters over 24 or 26 eps, then I'll have to watch and see how it's done.

I will be purchasing 'When they Cry' as I need to experience how this creator ticks. And now with 'Umineko' he's become a favorite that can scare hell out of me.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
Old 2009-07-19, 04:11   Link #193
Alaya
Counter Force

For me adapting things from VN is always difficult. Umineko is alright compare to how they used to screw Fate/Stay Night VN (that's not Shirou I know!!!). It's not perfect, but it's still above mediocre rate.

Sigh, I guess, as a Type-Moon fan, the VN that got screwed so much in anime adaptation, is Tsukihime (does it exist?)

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Old 2009-07-19, 04:18   Link #194
Oekitarts
Oppai Sommelier

Send a message via Yahoo to Oekitarts
Come on guys, I mean... it's not like it's Higurashi S1 all over again-OH NO HE DIDN'T!
Old 2009-07-19, 04:52   Link #195
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One can never know...and at this point, in truth...no one yet knows.
Old 2009-07-19, 06:20   Link #196
Yami Sonozaki
Shion's follower xD

Send a message via MSN to Yami Sonozaki Send a message via Yahoo to Yami Sonozaki
I don't get it.
Why does everyone start comparing Umineko with Higurashi season one ?
Just because of Maria's weird faces? Yeah, I agree they don't really fit in... at least the ones in Higu fit in perfectly (in my opinion).
I wouldn't mind it going the Higu way, but I doubt it will.
Old 2009-07-19, 06:25   Link #197
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Well I actually like the face when Maria laugs or grins, but not when here eyes and face go all strange
Old 2009-07-19, 07:24   Link #198
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami Sonozaki View Post
I don't get it.
Why does everyone start comparing Umineko with Higurashi season one ?
Just because of Maria's weird faces?
Also because the Umineko characters watch Higurashi themselves.
Old 2009-07-19, 09:09   Link #199
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Well, since his next line is "Keep that face of hers in your mind when you think of her", it works just fine in the anime version too. Even though George can't see Shannon, he's obviously imagining what she looks like after seeing the other corpses. Hideyoshi is trying to stop George from doing that.

Good.
I found the delivery a bit odd, the way Hideyoshi tackled it with no buildup. George's reaction reinforced this for me -- he gasps, as if he's just considering Shannon's condition for the first time. Perhaps this was intended as just his emotions getting the best of him, but that's not how it read to me. IMO, it works better with George's request from the VN, but maybe I'm in the minority. This was just my initial impression of the scene.

Also...

I don't think Maria's weird faces are supposed to fit in. A demon-child is generally pretty noticeable. What I find more incongruous is the overall lack of response from everyone else in the room when she makes the crazy eyes and suddenly gets all calculating and articulate.

But, really, that's a minor thing.
Old 2009-07-19, 09:24   Link #200
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Just a guess but probably everyone except Battler are already used to it.

In fact Hideyoshi asked Maria if she could recognize the magic circle, which means it was a very known fact that Maria was in that sort of things, and seeing as she always gets that "demonic" when she is in the position of teaching others about magic, they have probably witnessed such behaviour before.

Closed Thread