AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-11-30, 12:05   Link #1541
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Stop topping this thread and getting my hopes up!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-30, 12:13   Link #1542
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Stop topping this thread and getting my hopes up!
You think opening your comment just now wasn't a disappointment??

First film release date confirmed for March 19, 2016... not what you were waiting for either, maybe??
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-30, 12:16   Link #1543
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Not a huge fan of about 98% of live-action manga or anime adaptations. My main interest here is that it may spark enough publicity to make S3 of the anime more likely.
Old 2015-11-30, 12:23   Link #1544
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Not a huge fan of about 98% of live-action manga or anime adaptations. My main interest here is that it may spark enough publicity to make S3 of the anime more likely.
That would be nice too, though I remain cautiously optimistic. Hope you don't mind if I'll continue to post some diversions in this thread, to wile away the interim...
Old 2015-11-30, 13:42   Link #1545
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Don't take my jibe seriously - I'm just kidding around. Any discussion of Chihayafuru (that's not of the Taichi is the devil variety) is certainly a good thing.
Old 2015-11-30, 16:18   Link #1546
Ulin

Quote:
That's exactly what I am hoping for
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-30, 22:32   Link #1547
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Don't take my jibe seriously - I'm just kidding around. Any discussion of Chihayafuru (that's not of the Taichi is the devil variety) is certainly a good thing.
I didn't. My comment was posted in the same bantering spirit as yours. I think this story has a very strong ensemble cast of characters who interact with each other in meaningful ways and it has a setting with very compelling roots spanning a very interesting period of time covering many changes.

Personally I think it is a pity when I see discussions of this series - becoming progressively more- focussed almost exclusively on him, almost to the exclusion of everything else - whether he is described as either evil or love incarnate - but there are people who disagree with that. People who appear to enjoy the series for no other reason than his presence. To me Chihayafuru seems so much richer than that. Even though Taichi is an integral part of the story he isn't why I personally became invested in it and that's what my opinions will reflect.

Will you go see the first film when it comes out? I know I will. I've already decided to go see the second one as well, if possible on or about the April 29 release date- unless the first one turns out to be unbearable to watch...

Edit:
Since we've now moved on to page 78...
How often, I wonder are the guards at Suma Gate woken ...
From the English translation by Stuart Varnam-Atkin and Yoko Toyozaki, added as a reminder why I came here.

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2015-11-30 at 23:46.
Old 2015-12-01, 23:00   Link #1548
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Is this a good thread to discuss the potential impact of the films on the decision whether or not to green light a third season? Where would be a good place to explore how they may influence the continuation of the ongoing manga?

Spoiler for Mixed media commentary:

Is there a topic on this forum where the various forms of symbolism employed in the different adaptations of Chihayafuru can safely be compared and contrasted without spoiling the fun for people new to either one of those? Without running afoul of forum rules ? The media are divided into discretely separate topics in designated areas of the board here - as they are on most other message boards...
Old 2015-12-02, 01:23   Link #1549
Verso Sciolto
Banned

What's in a name

I really like this series because it can be approached from different perspectives. I dislike this series because each element pulls me in different directions as each layer vies for attention. Trying to tie it together makes my head spin. At the moment I’m looking at the story with focus on translations.

Some of this had already been considered for a different forum but I might as well post it here as well. Given the direction this thread has taken recently. I would also like to expound on names and nicknames a little more.

It is in the choice and use of names that Suetsugu demonstrated how deliciously duplicitous she can be. I think. She, of course, picked both the names and the nicknames herself. But while the nicknames are translated the character’s family names and given names rarely are. I’m not saying that they should be, but they are worth looking into for the kanji she chose - or could have chosen. This has already been noted in this thread and I'll add a few links later to the comments I had in mind when I typed this.

While I completely agree that you should stop using a nickname once the person has repeatedly asked you to do so, the nicknames aren’t as troublesome to me in Japanese as in translation but that has already been noted.

In the case of Tsutomu Komano that admonition becomes a little humorous, though, because his given name has a meaning which is very closely tied to the reason why he was given his nickname by other characters in the series. Characters who are unlikely to ever call him by his first name. A homophone in Shinobu’s case was already pointed out and at least one exists for Komano as well although that is less relevant in this context, it may be significant in an other.

While it has already been pointed out that Chihaya never uses these nicknames in a derogatory sense and that it may nevertheless be inappropriate for her to persist, there is something else that I didn’t see discussed here before but might be interesting to note briefly.

Taichi on several occasions in this season explicitly used people’s appearance to insult them. In the case of unfavourably comparing Chihaya to her sister Chitose and calling her a boy it is probably written of as childhood banter but I think that comment too contributed to Chihaya’s later personality. The reason why she doesn’t seem to consider herself very attractive can perhaps be traced in part to remarks like those. Although Chihaya herself doesn’t seem too troubled by it in the sense that she doesn’t appear to bear any grudges against Taichi when they reunite.

The second example is clearly not as easily excused but isn’t as clear in the subtitles for episode seven as it is in the original language. That time, well after the time skip, Taichi uses “Chinchikurin” to express his displeasure for Komano’s presence. This is translated as "brat" in the online subtitles. Brat is not as explicitly about a person’s short stature as the Japanese word is, however, and he clearly used it to emphasise how annoying he found Komano upon their first meeting. Not as a term of endearment. Yet someone, in this thread I believe, suggested that Taichi might be the person best suited to teach Chihaya about the inappropriateness of using those nicknames.

Tu quoque, perhaps but because of those two examples I find him unsuitable for that role. If anything, he could learn something from her there because she never says such words or uses the nicknames with malicious intent or to belittle the person she addresses that way. Although both would perhaps be better off learning manners from someone else entirely.

Not that the word Taichi used is so offensive that it can’t be used in public or to imply that it is used exclusively as a swear word, there are restaurants in Japan with ちんちくりん for their name, for example…

I hope commenting on that wasn't beyond the boundaries of what is deemed acceptable in characterisation... Not for the first time, however, I think, Suetsugu-sensei set us up there and a little of that is lost in translation for this season, I think...

Late edit - Manga text added:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2015-12-08 at 07:09.
Old 2015-12-02, 23:09   Link #1550
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
The episode title, "The Cresting Waves Almost Look Like Clouds in the Sky," comes from the 76th waka. The U. Virginia translation is as follows:

Over the wide sea
As I sail and look around,
It appears to me
That the white waves, far away,
Are the ever shining sky.
[…]
I think this may be a good poem to single out when considering how to present these poems in English text.

By not including the romaji transliteration it may perhaps get lost that the part of the Japanese text translated as "Cresting Waves", in the Episode 20 title and “white waves” at UVa, from the final line of the second verse of poem 76, is pronounced Shiranami.

Shiranami is also used in the name of the Karuta society in Tokyo's Fuchu town, and it may therefore be reasonable to assume that this may have been the poem from which those who named that club took their inspiration. Perhaps it is sufficient, though, to identify the poem or to indicate the source of the translation so that those interested can check the transcriptions into modern Japanese provided there.

In your commentary you refer to Mostow and wrote that the sailor in the boat has been interpreted as representing the emperor. Perhaps it is interesting to note that the kanji in Kana’s first name, - pronounced Kanade when used as a name, in shortened version, popularised by Chihaya, possibly a reference to the two syllabaries, has various meanings when written in full. Most meanings listed there are associated with musical instruments and harmonising, as in the idiom associated with Kana in episode sixteen, the translation of the kanji in her given name, when used as a verb, also includes “report to the emperor”.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2015-12-03 at 01:58.
Old 2016-02-27, 00:58   Link #1551
YamaYama2000

Coming Soon

I really enjoyed this anime.

"Chihayafuru" a best-selling manga series created by Suetsugu Yuki, has been made into a live-action film in Japan.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

https://youtu.be/ZjNlJLjDzjk
https://youtu.be/CUNS2RX5olk
http://www.chihayafuru-movie.com/

I wish this movie also gives me feeling of satisfaction.
YamaYama2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-14, 17:14   Link #1552
LKK

It's finally coming! Sentai announced they have licensed seasons 1 & 2 of Chihyafuru. Few details yet though.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-14, 17:38   Link #1553
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

jesus ***** christ finally
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-15, 01:47   Link #1554
Blaat

Okay Japan you have the juicy license money, there is a live-action movie and there are enough chapters for a third season so announce it already.
Old 2016-09-15, 10:34   Link #1555
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you've read the manga, does it end more or less decisively? They only have one more year of high school so one would think at least this phase of Chihaya's life would be coming to an end in a third season.

I've wondered whether there hasn't been a third season because the manga is selling well enough that the publisher sees no need to finance a third round. The first two seasons sold poorly in Japan so the economics of a third season might be pretty dicey.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-15, 10:46   Link #1556
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Isn't the manga still ongoing?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-15, 11:10   Link #1557
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Yes, sorry. What I meant was, does the manga reach the end of high school, which would be a logical conclusion for a third season, since the other two each covered an academic year.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-15, 11:18   Link #1558
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
It's finally coming! Sentai announced they have licensed seasons 1 & 2 of Chihyafuru. Few details yet though.
I'm hoping either the disks are going to be region-free (some of their stuff is) so I can import it, or a UK distributor will piggy-back on the release to bring it out over here.

I WANT TO BUY THIS!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-15, 11:55   Link #1559
Ulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Yes, sorry. What I meant was, does the manga reach the end of high school, which would be a logical conclusion for a third season, since the other two each covered an academic year.

It's currently ending the third year... I'm not sure it will cover university or if it will end when the third year ends
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-15, 12:25   Link #1560
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just on a personal level, I find the manga to be spinning its wheels a bit. It's one tournament after another, each one presented in more grandiose fashion than the last. I still love Chihayafuru but it's not connecting the way it used to.

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse