AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-25, 14:06   Link #3081
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
He just wants to leave it unresolved so they can milk the Frontier setting for all it's worth. (A movie, and maybe an OVA or three).

I totally expect Sheryl to take the damsel in distress role for once in a sequel, and Alto and a proactive and more mature Ranka growing closer while trying to save her in a role reversal, in order to build her up as worthy of being called a rival in a non lopsided triangle.
I actually don't see that. Sheryl won't be the damsels in distress to begin with. Even with it being lopsided, people still liked Ranka and Ranka x Alto. Making her into Sheryl 2.0 doesn't work. Though I'm not expecting a real true sequel to resolve the love triangle. The best we can hope for is a DYRL where Alto's choice is made more clear. I actually am not as upset as some people, because I think Ranka will probably go and continue to grow up and just be BFF's with Sheryl and Alto.

I think in the end it was always going to be the three of them reaching an understanding and becoming friends, like the original triangle. I don't think that takes away from the romance though. Alto isn't the same person he was before, so I just can't picture the whole back and forth going on endlessly between the three of them.
Old 2008-09-25, 14:07   Link #3082
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
I just take it as it comes, after all it is entertainment.
Macross F was built on the triangle, it carried the show, a cop-out like this in a series like this lessens the show to a great degree.

Macross F, because of the ending, went from an "That was epic..." to a "What could have been...", in my books anyway.

This is why people like myself are disappointed. Kawamori failed to deliver on the most important aspect of the show by choosing a neutral side.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-09-25, 14:24   Link #3083
Seifall

I never thought I could agree with some of you , Kawamori choose to not anger anyone.......
But the unresolved triangle is not the worst:
WHY DID THEY KILL MICHEL ???????? He was supposed to be a catalysis for Alto with this need to pick one of the two girls....
I really but really am disappointed here. I would have prefered Luca's disappearance instead .....
Old 2008-09-25, 14:28   Link #3084
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
Macross F was built on the triangle, it carried the show, a cop-out like this in a series like this lessens the show to a great degree.

Macross F, because of the ending, went from an "That was epic..." to a "What could have been...", in my books anyway.

This is why people like myself are disappointed. Kawamori failed to deliver on the most important aspect of the show by choosing a neutral side.
I suspect the upcoming Macross Frontier movie is meant to answer your disappointment.
Old 2008-09-25, 14:30   Link #3085
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post
I never thought I could agree with some of you , Kawamori choose to not anger anyone.......
WHY DID THEY KILL MICHEL ???????? He was supposed to be a catalysis for Alto with this need to pick one of the two girls....
I really but really am disappointed here. I would have prefered Luca's disappearance instead .....
I agree with you on that: catalysis... bad joke. Killing Luca should have led to open the Pandora's box Grace and Leon wouldn't want to let fall in the hands of those ready to counter their plans for everybody's sake. Meanwhile, the loss of Michel had absolutely NO EFFECT on what went on afterwards romantically.
Old 2008-09-25, 14:41   Link #3086
magnuskn

Quote:
Wow, I am agreeing with you. Will wonders never cease? Next BleachOD will post something coherent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I agree with you on that: catalysis... bad joke. Killing Luca should have led to open the Pandora's box Grace and Leon wouldn't want to let fall in the hands of those ready to counter their plans for everybody's sake. Meanwhile, the loss of Michel had absolutely NO EFFECT on what went on afterwards romantically.
No, that is not true. Michaels death prompted Klan to make Alto take the initiative. It probably is only because Kawamori wants to keep his options open for the movie that he chose to not end the romance properly.

I want that release date. -.-
Old 2008-09-25, 14:53   Link #3087
digi.amuro

I havent been watching Macross Plus for that long (marathon'd it last week till ep24), but having heard about the ending, I have to say I am alittle disappointed. I thought Michael and Klan's tragedy was gonna be a plot device to push Alto to make a move, but Michael's death ended up being all but pointless. Klan's interactions were a good push but I guess not good enough. Hope this movie gives us some much needed resolution, though I'm not too confident.
Old 2008-09-25, 14:54   Link #3088
kujoe
from head to heel

Oh well, not exactly the big finale I was hoping for. So there's a movie, but it would just be my day if the movie ends up in Ranka's favor after everything that has happened so far. Heck, maybe he would just leave the triangle unresolved again, or not even bother to take it on just for the fun of it.

Come on Kawamori! You gave us Macross, you gave us Macross Plus! You haven't failed me yet..! Ok, so there was M7.. no wait, that was awesome... sometimes.

Here's hoping for the better and more things to come in the movie.
Old 2008-09-25, 14:56   Link #3089
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Wow, I am agreeing with you. Will wonders never cease? Next BleachOD will post something coherent.
That is what Kawamori wanted, he wanted to unite both sides of the shippers! Mission accomplished!
Old 2008-09-25, 15:00   Link #3090
Seifall

Until the end of the awaited movie that's it
I think sheryl's fan must be really dangerous, for Kawamori to pull a trick like that to all Ranka's fan.....
Old 2008-09-25, 15:15   Link #3091
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
That is what Kawamori wanted, he wanted to unite both sides of the shippers! Mission accomplished!
Unite against him?

"This is the United Shipper Alliance calling for a truce in the shipping wars. Our only goal now is to defeat the Hory Froating Head and bring some damn resolution back to the triangle!"

"YACK PROTOCULTURE!" (Kawamori just before being buried by the deluge of hate mail he finds waiting for him).

Last edited by glyph; 2008-09-25 at 15:32.
Old 2008-09-25, 15:24   Link #3092
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

Thus, "Schinkel" ending achieved. Or rather Kawamori has decided to dabble in agricultiure, of the Celestial kind.
Old 2008-09-25, 15:36   Link #3093
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Well, I wait until the movie is out. I suspect the movie has more conclusion to be made.
Old 2008-09-25, 16:35   Link #3094
AMDX1325
AdvancedMicroDevices1325

eh, what a quick wrap up in the end lol, so many things are unexplained! I believe they are making a movie, It better be based on after their landing and the planets survey team finds some clues to explain the whole universe. During which the triangle can also take a final wrap up along with wraping up the whole controversy of the show. DYRL + Macross Zero would be perfect imo
Old 2008-09-25, 16:44   Link #3095
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Well, I wait until the movie is out. I suspect the movie has more conclusion to be made.
Yes, hopefully the movie is like the first Kimagure Orange Road and concludes the love triangle.
Old 2008-09-25, 20:10   Link #3096
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for Posted in RC:
Old 2008-09-25, 20:40   Link #3097
zalem

Quote:
I bet it doesn't! I'm telling you this is M7 all over again.
Old 2008-09-25, 20:53   Link #3098
Seifall

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
[spoiler=Posted in RC]Anata no Oto is a serenade for the Vajras, for those who have faith that the last episode title actually means more than “DOKUN DOKUN KAWAII” for Alto, you have done well in treating the series with the respect it deserves.
No one here said it , at least among the least of Ranka's fan

The final episodes makes it clear that the romance is to take a step into the background as Alto, Sheryl and Ranka focused on the Vajra and human war.

Quote:
That said, anyone who thinks the love triangle isn’t solved at this point needs to rewatch the episode again, as the pieces have been neatly laid out in the open. How refreshing is it to see Ranka snapping back to her old self and telling Sheryl that she isn’t there just to sing and die; she has Alto to come back to?
How is it to see Alto coming and saying the same thing to Ranka,too about singing ??

Quote:
How absolutely wonderful is it when you saw Alto and Sheryl saluting each other in the final battle, just like Misa and Hikaru did in their own? I cried when I saw the salute, for it was the most direct, emotionally impacting homage that they could ever do to Hikaru and Misa's own final scene in battle in DYRL.
crisis
Misa leaved with Hikaru at the end.... We saw Alto flying in the sky here, not leaving with Sheryl...

Quote:
Also, how much did you love that Ranka had saw the depths of Sheryl’s love for Alto, and decided to compete with Sheryl from a fresh beginning? For in doing so, she has chosen to shrug off the tight shackles of her worship-love for Alto that has bound her for a good half of the series.
She said she will not lose to Sheryl nor in songs or love .
She's pretty determined and confident now....

Quote:
I believe the stage has been set for the movie, and this time, it’s pretty clear where the the romance will be, for Alto has yet to return to Sheryl with the words that he wanted her to hear, and assure her that those were not words that she was afraid of hearing, but one that will answer to her heart.
All your interpretation is right except that you omitted all Alto and Ranka's interactions in this episode.....
But Alto sure made his choice because said to Grace " We are alone, that's why we can love someone".
Seeing this episode, and how they will developp Ranka's chara design with her personnality, I 'm not changing my mind here, Ranka is the one.
I think you will agree with me when I said this was THE surprise
Old 2008-09-25, 21:00   Link #3099
Key Board
Carbon

Macross golden rule of love triangles is yet to be unbroken it seems

you can either win the love triangle or save the galaxy

well guess what, Ranka and Sheryl worked together to save the galaxy so both are disqualified

hence, this ending
Old 2008-09-25, 21:07   Link #3100
Westlo
Lets be reality

Wow Crisis/cheesie you come across as so composed here but was burning with rage on IRC when I woke up Also damn you for mentioning the Alto/Hikaru VF salate to Sheryl/Misa, I said on IRC in the last week that scene was tight and to see it used here was awesome, Ranka's reaction was also lolz.

Anoter thing about the triangle is that Alto "you are my" (this was at sheryl alone) .. no both of you are my wings. So people who didn't think Alto was going to confess last episode before sheryl's tongue held an executive meeting with Alto's lol you.

Also at the end with alto he says something like "i love the sky, which opened up to me thanks to sheryl and ranka". Sheryl mentioned first! I look forward to her glorious victory in stunning movie quality animation in 2009/2010

Quote:
crisis
Misa leaved with Hikaru at the end.... We saw Alto flying in the sky here, not leaving with Sheryl...
the big difference here seifall is that Macross finished completely while the announced a movie for frontier the second after the show finished. Like they said at the end this is just the beginning

Quote:
She said she will not lose to Sheryl nor in songs or love .
She's pretty determined and confident now....
You know what Ranka's scene at the end reminded me of? Scenes in harem type shows where the 2nd rival says it isn't over to the clear winner. Ranka and Sheryl there would be like Kozimi and Shana from Shana and Tsukiumi and Musibi from Sekirei. These sort of scenes are generally put it because they want/plan to do another season.
Closed Thread

Tags
romance