AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-23, 21:45   Link #521
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Considering what a tough act last week was to follow, I thought this was excellent. I really like how the sands are always shifting with this series, so you never feel comfortable about what to expect. A beach episode? No - this ep doesn't even wait for the eyecatch to take a radical turn, like KamiDolls usually does. A beach episode with no beach, and then back to Tokyo. And the field trip to the library turned out to be something much darker as well.

The feelings between Kyouhei and Aki are extremely completed, and I don't think the anime has told us anywhere near all there is to know. There's a lot of love, hate, and everything in between. Kyouhei's quiet little conversation with Shingo was loaded with subtle intensity - Shingo basically walked the path Kyouhei is trying to walk now. It's all fascinating stuff.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 22:06   Link #522
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep8:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 00:15   Link #523
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Episode 08

I LOVE THIS SERIES. The whole thing just works I mean, I wouldn't let something like cake ruin all that I've enjoyed so far.

Take for example at the beginning, when Utao does smiling practice. Thinking back, this girl has never smiled... except for cake See, that cake scene was so much useful in it's own way, which proves Utao can smile, and that life outside of the village is such a rosy adventure

And then when leaving the village, Utao tries to smile, and Kirio does what he does best, and teases Utao

Still though, like Rei.K said, a beach ep without the beachy stuff? No girls frolicking in the water? Aside from that dreamy scene, I like how I was expecting swimsuits and skin, and I get slapped in the face with... a typhoon Having been through several typhoons in the last few years, I can say a typhoon is never something to laugh at, and one the many things I like about this series, is how they can insert even the tiniest moments of comedy and shift to serious so well, like when the shop owner said Hibino was strong lol @ Utao swimming in the tub

And like Kyohei's cosplay cafe suggestion, that was so hilarious and yet Hibino-papa wouldn't hear of it, yeah I'd be mad too if my cafe was a hangout spot for pedo's (lol doggy Utao)

Here's where the meat of the episode is though: Hibino's confrontation with Aki. I said it before, the way this whole thing works, not a single part of this episode was a waste. "A God's Role", see how everyone left the village, Hibino with new uncertainty, Utao with her lack of confidence as a Seki, and here Aki gets to reveal that a Kakashi has the heart of a human. In the first half of the ep we see Utao is very much getting the hang of being a Seki, although she's still 50/50 in the "good" role, having gutted Kyohei but saving Hibino.

In the second half of this ep we see a fight between Kuramitsuha and Kukuri, which Utao was pretty much 50/50 again, which I would wager the fight was pretty much a draw, though she held up pretty well. This is why the end of the ep was so important, Utao was very much in conflict as to what the role of a Doll was, to help, or destroy. Kyohei summed it up very nicely too, if it's got a human heart, it can do humanely things too, and that's what Utao has to decide on for her answer.

This also shows that, Kyohei was already aware that Aki knows this, and again, this could be the reason why Kyohei very much dislikes Aki, for the fact Aki uses his Doll to destroy. But we see Aki isn't always a blackheart, as his doll has the potential for good too, although I can't see how a doll with blades for hands can help in rescue missions

Did I just see a maid Kuuko in the preview? Man, Aki is the man of the house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei.K View Post
I almost expected her to blush and deny, I was delighted at her answer
It's a shame Kyohei had to let his beta side take over during the last scene though. The falling on Hibino thus leading to a classic awkward blushing scene wasn't needed, in my opinion.
I too was expecting Hibino to blush when Aki asked her, aw how I love to be corrected

That scene at the end when Kyohei fell on Hibino, proves another point about my view of the characters not being over-conscious about Hibino's big ones. See, when Kyohei fell on her, at least he didn't grab onto a breast and squishy squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzhk View Post
Well, I'd just chalk it up to faithful adaptation and manga-ka's tastes...
It's actually not ignored in-universe.
Quite a few characters comment (usually in their minds) on Hibino's assets when they first meet, and some even refer to her as the large chested woman.
Too bad the anime won't reach a certain bath scene down the road... Not this season anyway.
As for bouncing, I guess the anime is prioritizing its budget towards animating kakashi action instead.
True, in the first ep Hibino's big ones were prominent (lol Suou-chan), but that's about it. Kind of like "once is enough"(which I like), in recent eps it's hardly been a topic for them.

But I really like how faithful it is to the manga, even right down to exact same artwork directly from a manga panel, and that's probably why I like what I'm seeing so far. The fact that I've run into many an unfaithful (or at least, dissimilar) adaption over the years, makes KsD quite enjoyable, which I only hope the ending is as fun as I've had my past 8 weeks

And, because it makes so much sense:
Spoiler for lol:
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 00:38   Link #524
Forsaken_Infinity

Well that reply - or rather the manner in which she made it - of Hibino's was a mild surprise. Rather uneventful episode otherwise though.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 06:18   Link #525
ookamigirl

They finally left the village. The typhoon sure was pretty bad, but Utao managed to do a really good job helping. So Aki & Kuga are more similar than Kuga would admit, but still, Kuga doesn't look like the type who'd snap as much as Aki did. I also didn't expect Hibino to go meet Aki alone..

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 06:47   Link #526
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Poor Utao... nothing went her way in this episode. Her "big sister" smile completely failed (or did it? Kio actually didn't react too badly. That's not what she wanted to happen though), her vacation was (mostly) ruined by a typhoon, and she didn't get the opportunity to enjoy the library because of Aki.

I too was pleased that Hibino didn't blush like an idiot when Aki asked him if she liked Kyouhei, and that she actually answered truthfully. That kind of scene shows having young adults as main characters rather than teenagers makes a difference. That's one of the thing I like about this anime.

Overall, while it wasn't as good as last week's episode (and I didn't expect it to be), it was solid and enjoyable.

Nobody ever talks about it, but I'm very interested to see where the detective subplot will lead. When will he notice one of the guy he's hunting down lives with his daughter whom he's turned into his own private maid?

PS: the CG pedestrians we saw in this ep are some of the very worst I've ever seen. They looked like goddamn playmobils.
Old 2011-08-24, 07:41   Link #527
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That kind of scene shows having young adults as main characters rather than teenagers makes a difference. That's one of the thing I like about this anime.
Yeah, it's a world of a difference. Now, imagine if Kirio and Utao were the main characters....

Never mind.

Quote:
Nobody ever talks about it, but I'm very interested to see where the detective subplot will lead. When will he notice one of the guy he's hunting down lives with his daughter whom he's turned into his own private maid?
You know what scenario I like? Kuuko-papa visits her apartment because he's worried, he see's Aki, and then he'd point ad go "Ah!" and then Kuuko breaks his finger again

Quote:
PS: the CG pedestrians we saw in this ep are some of the very worst I've ever seen. They looked like goddamn playmobils.
lol

It's so funny that you had to compare them to that. Wait a minute, they still make those toys? I believe only those of us from Europe would know about them, those toys were popular in Germany but not so much in the USA.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 09:15   Link #528
klare

Utao may be too young to have her own belief, she is too easily shaken by Aki's words

about the kakashi fight, shouldnt it be easier if attack the owner? just like during Aki vs Koushiro

since everyone back to the city, Aki hunting should resume
Old 2011-08-24, 16:44   Link #529
kitten320

Even though I don't like whole robot thingy, feels weird to have such huge machines in the city. But show starts to get more entertaining, really liked whole flashback in episode 7, poor Aki. I wonder what is the real reason for him escaping from prison.
Old 2011-08-24, 17:47   Link #530
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Even though I don't like whole robot thingy, feels weird to have such huge machines in the city. But show starts to get more entertaining, really liked whole flashback in episode 7, poor Aki. I wonder what is the real reason for him escaping from prison.
We don't know if he escaped or if someone helped him.
Its kinda hard to escape when your "robot" is away from you and you are in prison...
Xaturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 18:11   Link #531
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Just caught up with both episodes 7 and 8.

I can't say anything more about episode 7 than has already been said, but I didn't expect this from this series either. I've liked it more of less the whole way through, but this was definitely a step into a high echilon of entertainment. The fact that I found it moving after finishing the 3rd season of LoGH last night which destroyed my soul says a lot.

Episode 8 was weaker,, but still OK. I didn't expect episode 7 to be followed up that well. I'm still extremely doubtful of Kyousuke's innocence and all the things Aki keeps saying about him really does make me believe Kyousuke has a dark side in him. I also think there is a lot more to why Aki is the way he is than just this flash back.

It seems one of the main story lines here will be Kyousuke finally overcoming his feeling of powerlessness to take on the struggles in front of him. Is the system of the village the ultimate enemy in this series? It would seem so. Perhaps he will one day have a heart to heart with Aki. But who knows?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 12:01   Link #532
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

A few things I'm not sure many noted.

-Did anyone notice how Kyohei, the prodigel son, got the coolest sending-away when they left the village? His mother was a mother to Utao, a drinking buddy to Hibino, but nothing personal towards her son... and the stare-off with dad!

-It seems Koushiro and Kyohei pre-arranged to let Utao see twin-bro. I think it's been hinted that Kyohei and Koushiro have a past... a friendship-rivalry or sort? It isn't Aki-level (few things in fiction are), but they seem to understand eachother.

-Hibino's afraid of thunder? Who would have guessed?

-I'm surprised Utao wasn't more concerned about squishing Kyohei, given how bro-con she is, I still don't have a good feel for what she thinks of Hibino. Positively, that much I'm sure, but past that?

-Nor can I quite get a handle on what Kyohei thinks of her. There's fondness, but also exasperation. He looks out for her, but he's also the first to be frustrated by her bumbles as a Seki even as he hides it. And he always evaded the question when she asked if she was bothersome or if he didn't want her around. He cares for her... but I can't escape the feeling that part of him wishes that she weren't around (though he would never say such). I bet that the less-positive feelings he has for her (exasperation, impatience, a general 'stop hounding me!') will be among those if/when he 'snaps' like Aki wants. I mean, he could tell she wanted to go to the library... but he didn't volunteer or show any interest in going with her.

-I cracked up at the exchange over a cosplay cafe. "Hahaha- now I'm mad." "Sorry."

-I can never quite get how the dolls are hidden. I thought they stayed in hammer-space, or maybe hidden elsewhere, or even were plane-teleported as needed, but now they can turn invisible? That's pretty handy wood sap.

-When Aki didn't kill Hibino himself immediately, I wondered if he'll try and manipulate things so that Hibino gets hurt by someone from the village. Not only get Kyohei mad, but also get Kyohei mad in the right direction.

-After the seriousness of Hibino's musing on Kyohei, the sillyness afterwards was a bit of a let down. Especially Kyohei's face as Utao was beating on him. If he had been increasingly impatient and a hint of stirring of anger while she was beaten before the turn to Utao's fears, THAT would have been golden. (I wonder, though, where she gets off calling him unfaithful. Childhood promise?)

It wasn't a bad episode, but I'm certainly looking forward to next week's. I have some hopes for the new girl, and I want to see what she thinks about Kyohei.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 12:37   Link #533
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't think Kyouhei and Koushirou were in on the twin summit together - I think Koushirou thought that up on his own. Mind you, I think you're fundamentally right that there's some sort of mutual respect between the two of them, though "friendship" between Kuga and Hyuga might not be possible.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 14:49   Link #534
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Well, Kyouhei was perceptive enough to realize who set it up despite said person not being visible, then.
Old 2011-08-25, 22:04   Link #535
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Well, Kyouhei was perceptive enough to realize who set it up despite said person not being visible, then.
Definitely the case with this one

What - if anything - I liked about episode 8 was Hibino's reaction to it all. She isn't your generic damsel in distress. She actually gets frustrated by people and doesn't just go "I love this guy" and she can already tell that everybody, at least all the adults, involved - Kyohei included - is more or less insane and closed off and won't even try to let her on in because they are oh so sure that she couldn't understand. Her position is a really pitiful one tbh. She can't not care about them because she is involved whether she likes it or not but she can't do anything because they won't let her. I really wanted to see a slap on Kyohei's face telling him to shut it and leave her alone but I suppose whatever they did go with wasn't too bad either.

Oh and I suppose that stare-off between pops and son was pretty cool too. As was Kirio's reaction to Utao.
Old 2011-08-25, 23:52   Link #536
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't think Kyouhei and Koushirou were in on the twin summit together - I think Koushirou thought that up on his own. Mind you, I think you're fundamentally right that there's some sort of mutual respect between the two of them, though "friendship" between Kuga and Hyuga might not be possible.
Spoiler for From the manga:
Old 2011-08-26, 00:17   Link #537
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
Utao may be too young to have her own belief, she is too easily shaken by Aki's words

about the kakashi fight, shouldnt it be easier if attack the owner? just like during Aki vs Koushiro

since everyone back to the city, Aki hunting should resume
Well certainly might be easier to try and snipe the other Seki, but does have the handicap of leaving you open to attack. Utao isn't the type to handle a fight that way and Aki seemed more interested in having a war of words than a serious fight. Take some time to gauge the level that Utao is at.

Things should get crazy with the Aki hunting squad arriving. Not sure how the heck he can handle this situation since as it is he'll be down 3 against 1, 4 against 1 if Utao joins too.
Old 2011-08-26, 02:59   Link #538
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodearth View Post
Spoiler for From the manga:
Spoiler for rage......:
Old 2011-08-26, 12:22   Link #539
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Well, since I certainly took a different impression, 'clearly implied' is rather subjective in this case.
Old 2011-08-26, 13:25   Link #540
YuriEcchiGirl

I've heard a lot about this series all over the show online recently, so it must be a pretty good one

Tags
action, fantasy, horror, romance, seinen