AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-08-27, 14:16   Link #1121
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Just got my own 3DS today, although it is the regular one and jp to boot, so I assume people won't consider this choice conventional, while the XL is currently having the spotlight.

Frankly, I was "hyped" with all the fixed points the XL got, but considering how bulky it became, it wouldn't really be portable in my case, even though it isn't too big for my hands. Biggest reasons for not picking a 3DS LL aside of the portability were the starking difference in price (4-5K yens, which is basically a retail game altogether) and the size would prevent it to be practical with some accessories. Namely, I can't see how the 3DS XL would be comfortable with a circle pad pro.
Another point was also the color catalog, which is quite poor for the XL/LL. I'm particularly not fan of a "mixed" batch, with Red/Blue/Silver stuck with a dominant black for no damn reason, whereas Japan has a bland full white available (a full silver or blue could potentially change my mind). So just went for the sexy cobalt blue instead.

Anyway, currently having fun with Project Mirai, MH3G and Fire Emblem. PM isn't really on par with Project Diva series, but it is a good complement to the latter. MH3G is surprisingly comfortable to play, due to the customizable touch screen tools.
That said, the primary game that made me decide buying the 3DS was Fire Emblem Kakusei, which didn't fail its promises: gorgeous and engrossing. After 2 rehash on the DS, I wasn't expecting a lot for Kakusei, but the trailers and the actual game proved me wrong big time. I didn't expect the 3DS to be able to display battle this way without any loss of framerate (didn't see RER in action though), and if you add the excellent music scores, solid gameplay and all, any FE or SRPG fan wouldn't complain (expect perhaps the minimal dub, but hey, it would be difficult with "My Unit" and the number of characters for a single 3DS cart).
Definitely hope for other people that the localization won't take ages, because Kakusei is definitely a major hit.
Saw a 3DS XL for myself from a friend who has connections; it was so thick that his pockets wouldn't house the damn thing. Also, they did shove a bigger battery up its bum but it only gets about 30 minutes more. Without any other improvements, it's really not worth it in my opinion, since it costs more than the regular, which is just fine.

I have to ask: how is Fire Emblem? I really like those games.
Old 2012-08-27, 14:25   Link #1122
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I will probably post more impressions in the appropriate thread, but frankly, Kakusei (FE13) is definitely a solid release: I'm not really far in the game, but the presensation is quite good with well animated CGI movies (fully voiced), neat character design, great OST and interface being crystal clear.
It really has everything a FE fan/TRPG would love to see on a 3DS, packed with a very good graphic engine (nothing as impressive as RER, but definitely close to GC/Wii titles, in term of rendition style, as opposed to flat sprites before). The DLC system is also interesting as you have toncrap of possible free returning characters, and the paid DLC have absolutely no impact on the main game, so you miss absolutely nothing important (plot wise/gameplay wise) if you decide not to spend a penny on them. yet, their purpose are on spot: some grinding maps, others are extra conversations between chars, and a huge pack is made of extremely challenging maps that hardcore players would be interested in.
Old 2012-08-27, 14:28   Link #1123
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

anyone know the reason why the gamestop 3ds xl is 199.99 while the amazon is 239?
Old 2012-08-27, 14:39   Link #1124
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I will probably post more impressions in the appropriate thread, but frankly, Kakusei (FE13) is definitely a solid release: I'm not really far in the game, but the presensation is quite good with well animated CGI movies (fully voiced), neat character design, great OST and interface being crystal clear.
It really has everything a FE fan/TRPG would love to see on a 3DS, packed with a very good graphic engine (nothing as impressive as RER, but definitely close to GC/Wii titles, in term of rendition style, as opposed to flat sprites before). The DLC system is also interesting as you have toncrap of possible free returning characters, and the paid DLC have absolutely no impact on the main game, so you miss absolutely nothing important (plot wise/gameplay wise) if you decide not to spend a penny on them. yet, their purpose are on spot: some grinding maps, others are extra conversations between chars, and a huge pack is made of extremely challenging maps that hardcore players would be interested in.
Thanks for the solid opinion, it sounds good. I won't ask any more here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
anyone know the reason why the gamestop 3ds xl is 199.99 while the amazon is 239?
I've heard the $199.99 price is correct. Have you taken a look at which dealers are offering that price on Amazon?

It also baffles me how in Japan and Europe they won't even include an AC Adapter with the XL. They want people to go out and buy it separately, or are sitting on a high horse knowing everyone's probably already got at least one. At least here in NA they're adding it.
Old 2012-08-27, 14:52   Link #1125
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post

I've heard the $199.99 price is correct. Have you taken a look at which dealers are offering that price on Amazon?
i am surprise Amazon isn't selling the 3ds xl itself but letting vendors do it at a absurd price.
Old 2012-08-27, 14:54   Link #1126
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

That's because, from what I heard on some forums (nothing official... unless someone can pin point the source), a lot of people had to send their 3DS regular unit back to Amazon due to the screen scratching issue.
Amazon complained about that to Nintendo of America, but the latter firmly stated there is nothing wrong with the 3DS, s

So amazon isn't dealing anymore with 3DS stuff.
Old 2012-08-27, 14:58   Link #1127
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
That's because, from what I heard on some forums (nothing official... unless someone can pin point the source), a lot of people had to send their 3DS regular unit back to Amazon due to the screen scratching issue.
Amazon complained about that to Nintendo of America, but the latter firmly stated there is nothing wrong with the 3DS, s

So amazon isn't dealing anymore with 3DS stuff.
people don't buy screen protectors?
Old 2012-08-27, 15:01   Link #1128
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
people don't buy screen protectors?
Well, people didn't expect the top screen to be the one afflicted to scratching issue (IIRC, most early screen protector were solely destined for the touch screen, and the clamshell concept would make you expect the top screen is not subject to scratch issues). Even more so when no one had issue with the DS series.

But really, Nintendo failed big time the design of the 3DS, despite the DS series was alright with this.
Old 2012-08-27, 15:07   Link #1129
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Well, people didn't expect the top screen to be the one afflicted to scratching issue (IIRC, most early screen protector were solely destined for the touch screen, and the clamshell concept would make you expect the top screen is not subject to scratch issues). Even more so when no one had issue with the DS series.

But really, Nintendo failed big time the design of the 3DS, despite the DS series was alright with this.
Wait, there's a screen scratching issue? Mine is perfectly alright, and I wasn't even aware the 3DS had screen protectors. They're certainly not for sale where I am.
Old 2012-08-27, 15:12   Link #1130
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

It is a recurrent issue with the regular 3DS: the 2 bumps on the top screens are not thick enough, so the frame of the touch screen will touch the top screen if you fold down your 3DS. If you didn't put any screen protector or a microfiber cloth inbetween, the chances your top screen will have scratches due to the bottom screen are extremely high. A lot of people complained about very obvious vertical scratches on both sides of the top screen, matching the location of the touch screen frame. Since it was obviously a design oversight, people claimed warranty coverage on their units, which lead to a massive amount of returned 3DS units to sellers and the likes.

That issue was quite widespread (if you type on google "3DS screen scratching" you will have tons of results).
Old 2012-08-27, 17:46   Link #1131
GDB

They also fixed it on a later shipment of 3DS, as far as I heard. So it's another case of early adapters getting screwed.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 18:50   Link #1132
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Just checked my 3DS, no scratches whatsoever. I purchased the day after release day too, so am I just lucky? I'm usually quite unlucky with electronic purchases.
Old 2012-08-27, 20:02   Link #1133
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
They also fixed it on a later shipment of 3DS, as far as I heard. So it's another case of early adapters getting screwed.
More like a lucky batch I guess.
Cobalt Blue 3DS were released recently (something around march/april 2012), yet screen scratching issue is present (made few test, and the top screen definitely is in contact with the frame), unless it is starting from Midnight Purple batch, which is even more recent.
Old 2012-08-27, 20:16   Link #1134
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Mine had its screen scratched and it happened a little before the XL released, so thank goodness I was able to get rid of it through trade-in.

Last edited by Kurosu; 2012-08-27 at 20:37.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 22:57   Link #1135
kyouray
2D > 3D

The Tomodachi Collection trailer featuring Iwata made my day :

Also new Animal Crossing video

from NeoGAF :
Quote:
- First Mr. Resetti appearance
- Booker has his own lost and found shop
- Decide what shops to build
- Decide when shops open
- Exchange designs via QR Codes
- Furniture colors can be changed
- More will come through a special Nintendo Direct broadcast just for the game
Old 2012-08-30, 03:23   Link #1136
Sides

Harmo Knights
HP: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/aq7j/how/index.html
It is a new platform-rhythm game made by Game Freak. Check out the videos on the official HP.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 05:29   Link #1137
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Harmo Knights
HP: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/aq7j/how/index.html
It is a new platform-rhythm game made by Game Freak. Check out the videos on the official HP.
I feel like the 3ds is really about to hit it's stride now. Several games in the pipeline I want to play, even more if we can get some localizations done.

As a side note, I'm seriously considering a JP 3ds missing out on some great titles. (Senran Kagura I'm 'm I'm looking your way! )
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 14:37   Link #1138
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Actually the new DLC that will be about...

Spoiler:

Seems to be very story intensive. It wont affect what happens in the game but it's still pretty connected to the overall plot. So if you like the story than the Alternate DLC series is pretty much a must have.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 17:35   Link #1139
Sides

Ace Attorney 5 Confirmed For 3DS! read more on andriasang.com
And Phoenix Wright will be the main character!
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 21:25   Link #1140
GDB

Now you can get a finger pointed at your face. In 3D!!!
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ds, dsi, nintendo, nintendo 3ds, nintendo ds