AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

View Poll Results: By what method did you get recruited in to fansubbing?
I started at the bottom and worked my way up with tutelage from my peers 53 39.26%
I started my own group and learned as I went along 41 30.37%
I joined a new group with one or two *experienced* fansubber who taught us how to do stuff 23 17.04%
I joined a new group and all of us were new and we worked it out as we went along 18 13.33%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-03, 01:10   Link #61
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber

starting a new group with inexperienced people in general isn't that bad a thing really. i started out that way 6 years ago. as long as you have a good translator, it doesn't matter much how good the rest of the staff is, producing a good fansub isn't rocket science. the problem however is that some people try to be too flashy when they don't have the skill for it. that's when things go wrong.
Old 2007-10-05, 11:41   Link #62
mistershow

my friend introduced me to it and loved it ;]
mistershow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 12:12   Link #63
chaos4ever
Retired
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky_Kiske View Post
run's lured me with the prospect of candy when i was a wee lad. i've been missing ever since...
But did you get the candy? ;o
chaos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 16:28   Link #64
Zilveari
Retired(?) Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Zilveari
I started with QC for Anime Kraze back in... it was the naruto/seed/spiral fall, that season was followed by the scrapped princess/last exile spring... 03/04 maybe?

After that I started teaching myself. Right now I time, edit, QC, and im currently teaching myself to TS/Karaoke/Encode... or attempting to...

I guess I fall into the self-taught category.
Zilveari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 21:59   Link #65
eLiT3_
XII
*Fansubber

Hmmm....

I was interested in giving back to the fansubbing community what I had leeched over the many years. And I don't have a paypal account (*sigh*) so I decided to offer my own intellectual services!

So at the start of this year I applied for a QC position at Anime Yoshi just out of the blue got in! I was taught the basics and the "know-how" by my fellow experienced staff members and I was able to do the job the best I could!

Then one day I was promoted to Editor for a project and I haven't looked back since!
I love being an Editor/QCer!

^_^
eLiT3_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 20:06   Link #66
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
starting a new group with inexperienced people in general isn't that bad a thing really. i started out that way 6 years ago. as long as you have a good translator, it doesn't matter much how good the rest of the staff is, producing a good fansub isn't rocket science. the problem however is that some people try to be too flashy when they don't have the skill for it. that's when things go wrong.

That's ass-talk, Screwy. I've seen plenty of editors screwing up good translations before (I've been one of them in fact )
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 21:13   Link #67
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

I have to agree with False Dawn here. Even if the TL wasn't experienced, an experienced editor with some JP knowledge can turn bad scripts into something good. Remember that fans don't care much about how accurate the TL is, they just want something easy to read and fits nicely into the scene.
Old 2007-10-14, 07:53   Link #68
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru View Post
I have to agree with False Dawn here. Even if the TL wasn't experienced, an experienced editor with some JP knowledge can turn bad scripts into something good. Remember that fans don't care much about how accurate the TL is, they just want something easy to read and fits nicely into the scene.

Well, I'd contend that the situation described wouldn't exactly make a good release, though I agree that it would be generally less noticeable than bad quality editing.

Though I suppose it depends what you look for in a release as to whether it's considered "good" or not.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 11:13   Link #69
ScR3WiEuS
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru View Post
yeah lol, that's not a very good attitude
Old 2007-10-17, 05:58   Link #70
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
yeah lol, that's not a very good attitude
I'm gunna have to disagree along with you screw. I feel dirty now T_T. Anyways, the worst thing in the world is an editor with "some" jp exp trying to correct what they "think" are errors. I've watched it snowball into making scripts that are worse off than originally. If the T/Ler is new he needs to be backed up by a more experienced one doing T/L check and helping him/her learn. If someone has the required knowledge in japanese to actually check a translation they would be a translator themselves, or have a double title. Also any editor who instead of modifying the source to increase the clarity of the original interpretation goes and changes the meaning of the source trans they are given to what they interpret from the source dialogue, should not be editing.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 07:53   Link #71
Cyprene

Quote:
I've been fansubbing for something like 5, 6 years, and I've never actually seen this happen.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 09:08   Link #72
juggen
Saizen Supreme
*Fansubber

I sort of just started fansubbing as a typesetter.
I've been self studying and know quite a bit, but it was DeeCie that recruited me to AniSubs not long ago, and we met each other on AnimeYume's forum a long time ago, started modding together etc. =)
Old 2007-10-17, 13:13   Link #73
ScR3WiEuS
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
That's ass-talk, Screwy. I've seen plenty of editors screwing up good translations before (I've been one of them in fact )
What I really meant is, if the translator is truly good, you don't need a good editor to scr3w this up, just one that isn't shit. Inexperienced does NOT equal bad. Simple typesetting can be done by any noob, and you don't need the fancy afx shit. Karaoke is a bonus, any tard with a timing tool can make a \k or \K karaoke. And you don't have to know amazing fonts to produce readable subs. Even arial or calibri will do.
So let's see, good translation, non-intrusive editing, simple but clear typesetting, simple but decent karaoke ( bonus ), readable font... You've got a decent fansub right there. I guess encoding is kinda hard too, but you don't need to have the best video quality to have a decent sub. Just don't try to mess with the raw too much.
That's what I truly meant to say, basically. You shouldn't try to act like a pro when you don't have the skills, just do your best with your humble talents. My group, for example, back in 2002, was made up out of noobs who had never fansubbed before. Yet our GadGuard release was accepted as the best version, even better than Anime-Keep's release back when they were one of the big groups.
Old 2007-10-17, 14:50   Link #74
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

not trying to start shit with you here screw *since I can do it all day long on irc*, but A-Keep wasn't considered "high quality" back in 2002. No offense to any old A-Keep staff. This is based off my interactions with others at the time and my personal opinion.

Oh a lighter note, I never like any version... gadguard was worse than star ocean ex ~_~
Old 2007-10-18, 04:41   Link #75
ScR3WiEuS
*Fansubber

Lol, I never said they were good ;p (unless crustol tled for them). I meant that we, as a newbie group, produced a release that was better than that of an established group with resources well beyond our own.
PS: GadGuard was fun ;p
Old 2007-10-18, 05:56   Link #76
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

*shrugs* whatever makes you happy I guess...

Now back to the more pressing matter of finding a karaoke slave to do my bidding! fufufufufufufu~
Old 2007-10-18, 22:24   Link #77
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
I'm gunna have to disagree along with you screw. I feel dirty now T_T. Anyways, the worst thing in the world is an editor with "some" jp exp trying to correct what they "think" are errors. I've watched it snowball into making scripts that are worse off than originally. If
I find it really depends on the group and environment. Ideally the editor and translator work together as a team, complementing each other. But I've seen so many cases where the work is fully translated, the translator is long gone and everyone is left guessing what he actually meant for a certain unclear line. Or where the translator just hands the work off and doesn't want anything to do with it once he's had his initial shot at it. The editor has to work around these things and just tries to do the best job he can with what he's got.

As for the more established / newer group thing, honestly it can go either way. Too many of the established groups have too much baggage, are too factional, or feature some kind of odd power structure that is unfriendly to new members or not suited to getting fansub work done efficiently. On two recent occasions I had translators I knew, unhappy where they currently were, asking me to get them into a 'name' group I happened to be in at the time. I ended up having to explain the situation to them and then sent them to a different group where they would be treated better and happier. Sometimes things are just wrong with a group, other times it's a matter of finding a group with the right 'pressure' level and where expectations will be met on both sides.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 02:53   Link #78
what_apath
whatevermember
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaloom View Post
Can inexperienced fansubbers form a group and still manage to release a quality product?? (Or at the very least learn from their mistakes FAST)
I believe so. BSS started out with 2 people, on Gurren Lagann 14, it being their first sub. Somehow, it attracted the help of other people (myself included, who just hosted it on a bot) and I'd say we've come a long way since then, picking up a few experienced people to help and teach along the way. Now that Gurren Lagann is done with and we have more time to improve upon our roles (lol) I think we will continue to get better. I have certainly learned a lot the past 2 months.
what_apath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 15:15   Link #79
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
I find it really depends on the group and environment. Ideally the editor and translator work together as a team, complementing each other. But I've seen so many cases where the work is fully translated, the translator is long gone and everyone is left guessing what he actually meant for a certain unclear line. Or where the translator just hands the work off and doesn't want anything to do with it once he's had his initial shot at it. The editor has to work around these things and just tries to do the best job he can with what he's got.

As for the more established / newer group thing, honestly it can go either way. Too many of the established groups have too much baggage, are too factional, or feature some kind of odd power structure that is unfriendly to new members or not suited to getting fansub work done efficiently. On two recent occasions I had translators I knew, unhappy where they currently were, asking me to get them into a 'name' group I happened to be in at the time. I ended up having to explain the situation to them and then sent them to a different group where they would be treated better and happier. Sometimes things are just wrong with a group, other times it's a matter of finding a group with the right 'pressure' level and where expectations will be met on both sides.
yay! the topic finally found someone to twist it into a propaganda flaming thread against ppl not in their current... what'd you call it, a "faction"...

>.>

*goes back to lurking*
Old 2007-10-19, 18:34   Link #80
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
yay! the topic finally found someone to twist it into a propaganda flaming thread against ppl not in their current... what'd you call it, a "faction"...
what

Seriously how do you interpret that post as the start of a flamewar? It's a very thoughtful and respectfully worded post that doesn't even really disagree with the quoted post all that much, it's just saying that some groups are less fun to work with than others, what a shocking truth! We have more than enough flamewars here without people inventing them from nothing at all, I'd say.

I mean, if you WANTED a flamewar I'd be glad to start one by saying your mother was a hamster and your father stank of elderberries and then we'd get the usual bunch of hangers-on jumping on our collective retard bus (sup mods that are going to infract me for using this word) as it rattles through the neighborhood constantly honking, but honestly I don't really see anything flammable enough here and you calling "wolf" when you see a guinea pig doesn't really count.

But I guess now I created enough material for said flamewar. Welp.

Quote:
goes back to lurking*
yes, yes stop posting

wait that goes for me too
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote