AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Old 2007-12-12, 07:11   Link #1
evil-samurai

Soul Eater - Anime General Discussion thread

Soul Eater is licensed by Funimation.

Since it is licensed, the following posts are no longer allowed in this thread.
  • Asking where you can find Soul Eater downloads or torrents.
  • Asking for help downloading Soul Eater.
  • Asking for playback help for Soul Eater episodes.
These rules applies to fansubs (in English or any other language) and raws alike.

You still are allowed to discuss the anime, that has not changed but please remember to limit the discussion to the story. End of edit by Mod (xris)

Anime adaption of the manga Soul Eater by OOKUBO Atsushi.

Description: Set in the Shinigami technical school for weapon technicians, the series revolves around 3 groups of each a weapon technician and a human weapon. Trying to make the latter a Death Scythe and thus fit for use by the Shinigami, they must collect the souls of 99 evil humans and 1 witch.

Broadcast: April 2008

Official Site: Soul Eater

Original Work: Ookubo Atsushi
Director: Igarashi Takuya
Series Composition: Yamatoya Akatsuki
Character Design: Itou Yoshiyuki
Concept Design: Aramaki Shinji
Main Prop Design: Hoshino Takeshi
Art Director: Nakamura Norifumi
Animation Production: BONES

Read the manga? Then use tags! Spoilers are Bad!

Thanks to NeoSam for the info!

Last edited by GHDpro; 2009-04-30 at 03:25.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 07:24   Link #2
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

BONES doing Soul Eater? AWESOME.

Granted, the style of the manga and its ridiculous characters/settings may not be for everyone, but the charm of the manga's flat-color black-white tones is something that is hard to evoke if it uses typical shonen-budget animation.

Not to mention the director and art director of Ouran, good stuff.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 10:03   Link #3
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Great news!

When I first read vol 1 of the manga. I wasn't that impressed with the series, but as I read on I got hooked. : o
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 11:04   Link #4
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
Great news!

When I first read vol 1 of the manga. I wasn't that impressed with the series, but as I read on I got hooked. : o
I didn't quite like it at first either, what's with the weird settings and all that, but it started its feel on the whole out-worldly feel along with new characters made it more interesting.

I think I started enjoying it once Stein appeared. And Medusa. :3

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-12-12, 13:17   Link #5
NeoSam

I'll put the available volumes of the manga in this post:

==========

ソウルイーター
SOUL EATER

The manga is seriaized in the shounen manga magazine Shounen GanGan.
For now there are 10 volumes released of the manga.
Covers:

Spoiler:

Mangaka: Ookubo Atsushi

Genre: Shounen, Fantasy

==========
Old 2007-12-12, 23:40   Link #6
Westlo
Lets be reality

Andrew C made a thread for this 2 weeks back on AOD and since he has never lead me wrong so far this year I checked out the manga. Lets just say I'm rapt that Bones are doing it since they will be able to do this series justice in terms of animation.

Soul Eater is a very fast paced manga and has a stylish charm about it, Andrew C also mentioned it was going to run for 50 odd episodes so I expect something similar to what Bones did with FMA.

I also really hope Bones nails the casting choice for BlackStar since in the right hands he will come across awesome, miscast role and he will just be flat out annoying. And oh yeah Blair is hot!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 21:34   Link #7
Destinyblade

BONES adapting a Shounen Gangan manga that will last for at least 50 episodes... it sounds like FMA all over again, in a sense.

Not that it's the same show as FMA, of course. I've checked the summary and a couple of the chapters, and it sounds interesting. I'll probably take a look at it when it comes out in Spring.

On a side note, I was curious if this might get the same timeslot and broadcaster as FMA did (for example, this show's first season in Spring, followed by Gundam 00 Part 2 in Fall, and then this show's last half in Spring '09). According to MOON PHASE, however, Soul Eater will be airing on TV Tokyo on Mondays at 6:00p.m.
Destinyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 23:02   Link #8
Westlo
Lets be reality

I think unofficially Code Geass 2 is going to be airing in between Gundam 00 seasons, though with 3 months to go things can change. What show is Soul Eater replacing btw?
Old 2007-12-13, 23:29   Link #9
Destinyblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I think unofficially Code Geass 2 is going to be airing in between Gundam 00 seasons, though with 3 months to go things can change. What show is Soul Eater replacing btw?
Currently, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles airs on that slot. So it'll be replaced by Soul Eater in the Spring.

When I first saw Soul Eater, I thought that the show might land on doroku for the Spring and air a second season in Spring of '09; I was curious about this because of the whole Square Enix/Shounen Gangan and BONES connection. However, this anime is more of the type that TV Tokyo airs, and besides, doroku shows tend to have some sort of military/anti-war theme to them (courtesy of the Executive Producer for that slot). Soul Eater doesn't have any of that, though, so I guess it makes sense for it to be aired on TV Tokyo.

As for the 6pm slot on MBS/TBS, it's going to be either Code Geass 2, Macross Frontier (which I don't know if this has any chance whatsoever of being licensed ), or some unannounced show that MBS plans to air. We'll probably know by January, since it seems that timeslots for shows are announced around three months before it airs.
Old 2007-12-13, 23:38   Link #10
Westlo
Lets be reality

Yeah could be Macross F, is there any other prime time slot it could take? Looks way too high budget to be stuck in a late night slot.
Old 2007-12-14, 00:19   Link #11
Destinyblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Yeah could be Macross F, is there any other prime time slot it could take? Looks way too high budget to be stuck in a late night slot.
As far as I know, MBS and TBS only have one primetime slot for anime, and that's the doroku slot. All their other anime air on late night, usually at the end of the week (like Thursday, Friday, and Saturday). If Macross F isn't going to be on late night, MBS/TBS would have to create a new timeslot for the series.

The 1982 Macross aired on the stations on Sundays at 14:00 (2p.m), and Macross 7 aired on Sundays at 11:00a.m. Interestingly enough, the Macross F special that's set to air in late December are all airing on late night slots (for MBS, it's December 28th at 25:25; for TBS, it's December 23rd at 26:50). So I don't know if the TV Series will get late night or maybe a mid-afternoon slot like its previous TV series. I guess Macross F could take over Shana II on the MBS 25:25 Thursday slot in Spring, but isn't Macross a bit too high profile of a franchise to be receiving a late night slot? I don't know much about the Macross franchise, so I can't be sure.

Anyways, speaking of timeslots (and to keep this post from being completely off-topic ), I'm kinda glad that Soul Eater is getting a primetime slot, though that may be just because TV Tokyo is willing to put more anime on their network than the other major broadcasters in Japan. Unfortunately, a lot of TV Tokyo anime tend to be overlooked by anime fans outside of Japan. For example, a lot of low profile Sunrise shows have aired on TV Tokyo before, such as Keroro Gunso, Yakitate Japan, Gintama, Kekkaishi, just to name a few. A part of me hopes that this show doesn't end up the same way and get overlooked by a lot of fans just because it looks like typical shounen (especially with the whole Shinigami stuff, since Shinigami is being used a lot in numerous shounen anime), especially with the Code Geass and Haruhi sequels on the way. Then again, this is being done by BONES, not Sunrise, so maybe that'll give this show more recognition, lol.

EDIT: Before anyone catches me on a mistake, Kekkaishi aired on NTV, not TV Tokyo. Still, though, it was a pretty low profile Sunrise show outside of Japan.

Last edited by Destinyblade; 2007-12-14 at 00:49. Reason: Noting a mistake I made in the post.
Old 2007-12-14, 00:35   Link #12
aardvark

The character designs are pretty nice.

I know it's the FMA designer, but they sort of remind me of Kekkaishi anime designs as well.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 00:46   Link #13
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It's been more than 10 years since the last TV series, and the latest production was an OVA too, so it's harder to gauge the market value. Especially if it's going to be for the doroku slot, that has been in a decline of sorts due to ratings failure of post-GSD shows.

And those Sunrise shows named... well, it's a little sad, yeah, since Sunrise is a good studio at shonen manga adaptions. Though to be fair as well, other than Kekkaishi, Sunrise never really put in much money and production values into their shonen adaptions, and Kekkaishi had the support of it being in a great timeslot once before ratings dropped. (( next to Conan ))

Soul Eater imo suffers much of what the other low-profile-outside-Japan Sunrise shows did. A somewhat uninspiring start-off to the series, (( since Soul Eater started as 3 different one-shots before it became a regular series, and were the weakest links of the manga )) along with a somewhat strange settings and all, easily coming across as being weird and in Black Star's word, uncool.

I mean, this guy is the strongest character in-series. -_-

Spoiler:

Old 2007-12-14, 01:27   Link #14
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Btw, this was the casting for the Soul Eater Drama CD.

Maka: Takeuchi Junko
Soul Eater: Hoshi Souichiro
Black Star: Yumiko Kobayashi
Tsubaki: Mamiko Noto
Death the Kid: Takako Honda
Liz: Yuko Kaida
Patty: Miyuki Sawashiro
Shinigami-sama/Lord Death: Ryusuke Oobayashi
Death Scythe: Hiroaki Hirata
Franken Stein: Mitsuru Miyamoto
Sid: Susumu Akagi

Chances are there will be changes of the casting towards animation just like how Ouran ousted Hoshi, but it gives an idea of how the character sounds.

Old 2007-12-14, 02:12   Link #15
solomon

Just as an addenum, Inu Yasha was a Sunrise Shonen Adaption that did very well.

To stay on topic, Soul Eater, I dont know much about it. To be frank it sounds generic but one piece is generic as hell and I love it so we shall see how it turns out. Hopefully we will get some a couple of good sakuga episodes here, and I like Itou's work (I can tell a draawing is by him usually by the way he draws the mouths). As for Igurashi, his direction on Ouran was great, lotza nice visual florushes. Hopefully he'll keep it up and attract good animators to work on it.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 02:14   Link #16
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'll be happy with that lineup from the drama cd if it was the final one but yeah I'm expecting some changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinyblade View Post
I guess Macross F could take over Shana II on the MBS 25:25 Thursday slot in Spring, but isn't Macross a bit too high profile of a franchise to be receiving a late night slot? I don't know much about the Macross franchise, so I can't be sure.
Hmm I always thought that the 4th Maria-sama series was going to get the "Pizza Hut" slot. I know it hasn't been announced yet but I'm expecting something soon especially since that Pizza Hut deal for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Especially if it's going to be for the doroku slot, that has been in a decline of sorts due to ratings failure of post-GSD shows.
Wasn't Dokoku going into decline slightly once NTV started airing Major against GSD? IIRC Major was the cause of most of the ratings loss for GSD and in addition to Major shows which probably shouldn't have aired in the slot really diminished Dokoru.
Old 2007-12-14, 04:46   Link #17
solomon

Read the manga, meh. Probably be more fun in well animated form. That seiyuu cast for the cd sounds awesome though. If hoshi does it, he should use his "kamina" voice.

as fer doroku, I have a feeling that it'll be macross F. It's a big enough franchise.

It is true ever scince Major started airing on Kyoiku, the youths arent watching Doroku in high numbers, I thought Blood+ would be marketable enough but without a preexisting media tie in i guess its rough going in the anime world.
Old 2007-12-14, 05:06   Link #18
Westlo
Lets be reality

Hoshi's Soul Eater will probably sound similar to a (slightly younger) Kazuma I'm guessing, would have to be the worst voice actor director in history to make Hoshi use his Kira voice lol.

As for Blood+ I've liked what I've seen (35 eps) but it definitely took too long to get the "hook" episode in. I know the first SEED was also off to a sluggish start but it had the whole "It's Gundam!" thing behind it.
Old 2007-12-14, 06:07   Link #19
aardvark

The only thing tempering any enthusiasm I could have for Soul Eater, is the main writer...who doesn't really have an encouraging resume to say the least. Hopefully the show will be able to match FMA in terms of animation at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Read the manga, meh. Probably be more fun in well animated form. That seiyuu cast for the cd sounds awesome though. If hoshi does it, he should use his "kamina" voice.

as fer doroku, I have a feeling that it'll be macross F. It's a big enough franchise.

It is true ever scince Major started airing on Kyoiku, the youths arent watching Doroku in high numbers, I thought Blood+ would be marketable enough but without a preexisting media tie in i guess its rough going in the anime world.
I'll bet you that Macross F will air on the thursday late night timeslot that Code Geass season 1 and Darker than Black aired in. Shakugan no Shana 2 is airing there atm and (Im guessing its ~26 eps since I dont watch it) will be done when Spring season begins and Macross F begins.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 06:18   Link #20
solomon

Oh dear, i did mean "Kazuma" hehee.

As for Yamatoya, meh. When adapting shonen usually you dont have licence to get creative (unless you try filler) youre just there to translate the comic into animated form. Resume reads mailny from generic shonen which this is. What will make or break it for me is weither the direction and visuals can really make it entertaining.

Tags
action, death the kid, shounen, soul eater