AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-08, 10:15   Link #41
monir
cho~ kakkoii

AnimeSuki plays sports! Sure it does. How much fun can one get out from sitting behind the computer all day anyway..... unless of course it's a rainy day?

I was in track & field in high school. I paid a good portion of my college tuition by playing sports. I played midfield when I was playing soccer for my university. I also joined the LaCrosse team even though at that time I didn't have much of an opinion about it, but I was volun-told (opposite of volunteering) to play the offensive midfield position. Those were fun days!

Currently I'm into boxing and grappling, two very physically demanding sports. I also swim, rock climb, and bike often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I already knew no one is reading through the thread when no one flamed me for claiming that chess is a sport.
lol.. why would anyone flame you? No really, ASuki has evolved a lot. And besides, sports is anything that is governed by a set of rules and can be played competitively. I play chess a little bit also, but I might not be very good. My 8 year old niece beat me just recently.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 10:47   Link #42
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I haven't really played anything since high school (unless you consider the Magic: The Gathering card game a sport; hey, it's been on ESPN2) but back then I was pretty good at badminton. Got to the finals in our PE tournament against some of the most athletic people in my class, everyone was surprised that a complete nerd like me could do that. I also played soccer when I was little but I was completely terrible at it and only continued because my friends did.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 11:30   Link #43
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReizoSan View Post
Me too (only when it warm outside or even dry lol ) also played football (aka soccer) for about 10 years as striker , also when i was at school i would be on every sport club i just loved sport.
What does table tennis(aka ping pong) have anything to do with weather outside?
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 12:07   Link #44
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
Well i have an OUTSIDE table tennis board (don't have no room in the house or garage) and also it always rains in the UK so playing it depends on the weather.
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 12:13   Link #45
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
Because when its raining all them rugger buggers come in and steal the hall
Old 2008-03-08, 14:21   Link #46
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
I play tennis in High School, so far we're having try outs which have been getting rained out. I play for like, 12 hours a week.

I also run Cross-Country. It's only fun when you're not running . You do feel great about yourself after you complete the race and know that you tried as hard as you could. Too bad your body is thinking the exact opposite of that. I personally think this is the hardest sport. Ability is necessary, but the REAL part of the race is when your body is screaming at you to stop. It's so painful now that I think about it =/.

I also do track, same idea only not as "hard" per se.

Last edited by Thentus; 2008-03-08 at 14:56.
Thentus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 17:46   Link #47
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

I've played soccer since I was in middle school, and I've played pretty much all the positions (except goalie). But around highschool I settled down in defense, usually as left wing or sweeper.
I also did track & field for a good while, sprints, relays, and high jump.
Living where I live, I also grew up downhill skiing ^_^

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 17:50   Link #48
Yaoi_Daisuki
少年愛

long distance runner i guess?. sadly for the sake of freebies and goodies bag and prizes if you get in the top 200, 50 and so on. Suprisingly easy if you jog all the way! oh yeah and the unlimited supply of isotonic drinks and the great attempt to drag 2 carton home
Yaoi_Daisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 17:56   Link #49
Gemstar
Banned

I play Cricket =D It's a game with a bat and a ball similar to basball
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 19:06   Link #50
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Daisuki View Post
long distance runner i guess?. sadly for the sake of freebies and goodies bag and prizes if you get in the top 200, 50 and so on. Suprisingly easy if you jog all the way! oh yeah and the unlimited supply of isotonic drinks and the great attempt to drag 2 carton home
Jogging all the way? Won't that...lol.

I guess I do it for the pasta parties that we have sometimes.
Thentus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 23:44   Link #51
Anime+
Banned

I've played soccer, but currently only play tennis and ping pong. I have two brothers, one plays soccer and the other plays rugby.

These are all awesome sports, I just watched my brother play rugby for the first time today and it was really badass.
Anime+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 23:45   Link #52
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
I play basketball for fun in the gym, but not competitively. The same goes with table tennis, even though you have to be fucking crazy to play that competitively. If chess counts as a sport, and I don't want to discuss this subject for 10 pages, then sure, I've played that competitively.
Exactly the same things...
But I take ball more seriously, and I can't seem to get into my school team.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 00:39   Link #53
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
I already knew no one is reading through the thread when no one flamed me for claiming that chess is a sport.

And by the way I finished editing that other thread.
I met a professional chess-player once. He was quite insane.
We played a game and I lost within twenty turns or so.

Continuing,

I forgot which thread it was in.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 00:42   Link #54
Tran225

I am in the Tennis team for my school but i play basketball and football with my friends on the weekends however i still consider myself as an otaku and im proud of being one
Tran225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 01:16   Link #55
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
In elementary school, I played morning league baseball, where I was assigned right field because I didn't know if left field was on the batter's or pitcher's left, and I ultimately disliked the experience. Shortly after, I signed up for a peewee soccer team that never even met for the first practice. I don't think those counted.

For a good while, I enjoyed various forms of martial arts. That stopped several years ago, because family circumstances put a damper in my ability to practice.

I didn't really practice as a sport, though, because I never competed.

If an activity lacks practical utility or contains any form of competition, I lose interest almost immediately. I cannot maintain interest in frivolous action and I have no emotional investment in winning (losing is still unpleasant, of course, but far more likely when there is zero desire to win).

If one could apply words like "intense" and "great" to describe a void, that is how I would describe my apathy toward sports. And that was before I learned to loathe sports fanaticism when I saw it ruling academic institutions. (Not that I have issues with sports, players or fans--just the religious fanaticism often surrounding it.)

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 01:34   Link #56
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
I met a professional chess-player once. He was quite insane.
We played a game and I lost within twenty turns or so.

Continuing,

I forgot which thread it was in.
I almost thought you said you lost 20 times in a row, lol ^^. I'm not that great at chess myself >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
In elementary school, I played morning league baseball, where I was assigned right field because I didn't know if left field was on the batter's or pitcher's left, and I ultimately disliked the experience. Shortly after, I signed up for a peewee soccer team that never even met for the first practice. I don't think those counted.

For a good while, I enjoyed various forms of martial arts. That stopped several years ago, because family circumstances put a damper in my ability to practice.

I didn't really practice as a sport, though, because I never competed.

If an activity lacks practical utility or contains any form of competition, I lose interest almost immediately. I cannot maintain interest in frivolous action and I have no emotional investment in winning (losing is still unpleasant, of course, but far more likely when there is zero desire to win).

If one could apply words like "intense" and "great" to describe a void, that is how I would describe my apathy toward sports. And that was before I learned to loathe sports fanaticism when I saw it ruling academic institutions. (Not that I have issues with sports, players or fans--just the religious fanaticism often surrounding it.)
That's not very good to say. Of course winning is one of the main priority, but having fun while doing it is even more. Personally for me, if I cannot enjoy the activity i'm doing, i'll be very unlikely to play it again. For me, I cannot get into basketball. It must be cause I cannot free throw or dribble at all, lol ^^ I do enjoy Tennis, Ping Pong, Billard, Bowling, Soccer, Baseball, sleeping... ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 02:10   Link #57
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I almost thought you said you lost 20 times in a row, lol ^^. I'm not that great at chess myself >.<

That's not very good to say. Of course winning is one of the main priority, but having fun while doing it is even more. Personally for me, if I cannot enjoy the activity i'm doing, i'll be very unlikely to play it again. For me, I cannot get into basketball. It must be cause I cannot free throw or dribble at all, lol ^^ I do enjoy Tennis, Ping Pong, Billard, Bowling, Soccer, Baseball, sleeping... ^^
He probably easily could have. I would say that I'm a decent chess player, I easily beat my family and a good deal of my friends, but I'm nowhere near a competing level (even lower-level things and such.)

I agree that the "fun" aspect of a sport is most important. Honestly, the main reason I play rugby and other contact sports is so I can hit people.
I find it also great to win, but if I can't tackle some people while doing it, it's not as fulfilling.

And continuing onto the chess-sport discussion, I read somewhere that a "sport" is classified as an activity in which at least two or more sides (can be teams or single) compete for some goal and the winner can be announced objectively, such as: points/goals/runs in soccer, basketball, rugby, football, cricket, baseball, polo, etc., finishing first in some kind of race, checkmating your opponent's king first, clearing your opponents' checker pieces, etc. etc. That being said, they had ruled out figure skating, gymnastic events, other "judged" events as sports.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 03:05   Link #58
Rick_Grimes

Years ago in high school, I ran varsity track and field. I was the second leg of the 1600 relay. We were pretty good and made it to state, but we didn't win. I also played club baseball for several years in high school. I was always pretty good at fielding, so I played shortstop. In college I joined the University's ultimate club, and mainly was designated as a cutter because of my fielding. I don't do much now that I'm older. I run a lot, and every now and then I go bouldering or shoot hoops with my friends. I'm pretty casual now.
Rick_Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 15:25   Link #59
reloaded
skywalker

Ive played football all my life and still do (It isnt called soccer goddammit), currently the captain of my 5-a-side football team.....5 a side is much more technical and fun to play...remember football..not soccer
reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 15:36   Link #60
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

its called soccer in America