AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-06-24, 14:15   Link #341
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I got very strong K-ON! vibes from the last two episodes, especially with Yuuko falling face-first and exposing her underwear, just like Mio did during HTT's first concert and the constant reminder that Run and co. would become third-years, and that Tooru would have to part ways with them.

In the end, this show wasn't always hilarious, but it always gave off a nice, warm atmosphere and the characters were likable. I liked how each episode had its own insert song that fit the mood.

9/10 for me. Second season, please.
Old 2011-06-24, 15:59   Link #342
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
I didn't think I'd end up watching this after the first 2 episodes, but it turned out to be pretty entertaining. I'd actually quite enjoy a second season.
Old 2011-06-24, 16:11   Link #343
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Durian burger?!

God I hate the smell of those things, ain't bad but smells like hell.
Yea I'd be one of them people that doesn't like the smell>__<

Never went through that emotional farewell phase at school even tho I had friends in the upper years but then I'm male so that says alot

This series never really got me excited for it but I still enjoyed it alot more than alot of other series, a very pleasant show to watch.

The girls don't really stand out a great deal but aren't exactly forgettable.
However I do love Yuuko, her clumsy side was a joy to watch, loved how she spoiled the book for Nagi(I ship Yuuko X Nagi)
Old 2011-06-24, 16:50   Link #344
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I didn't think I would stick it out for the entire series, but I'm glad I did. A nice, simple, clean series that leaves one feeling rather good after viewing.
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 18:46   Link #345
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

nice finale ep. That durian burger looked interesting. Lol at Tooru's dream, surprised Run was able t carry her home.
Old 2011-06-24, 20:03   Link #346
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Does the real-life Mos Burger (yes, it's a real chain) sell durian burgers? If so, wouldn't they tell people to eat them outside like I've heard Southeast Asian eateries tell customers? :P (And now I'm going to have to try durian someday. I can handle stinky Brie cheese...)

In the end, this series wasn't great, but still good. I liked how Tooru was obviously sad that her friends would eventually graduate, but she didn't have a full-blown breakdown. The writers had a good grasp of subtlety there.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 21:08   Link #347
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Sure a good ending but kinda sad come one second season

8/10
Old 2011-06-24, 21:23   Link #348
demonkevy666

alight I'll be the pervert once here I want to yuuko's white lace panties damn it >_<! LOL.
I thoroughly enjoyed and would enjoy a second season too.
demonkevy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 09:41   Link #349
Tiberium Wolf

Yutaka with eyes open freebie!
Old 2011-06-25, 09:43   Link #350
FireChick

Are all these insert songs gonna be released? On the OSTs?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 10:00   Link #351
Midonin
Last Engage

They've already been released, and will continue to be. They're bonuses with the DVDs.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 10:01   Link #352
Qpax
黒猫のタンゴ

I really enjoyed this series a lot and so I'm a bit sad to see this series ended with lack of episodes. I hope we could see second season soon. I'm glad this sort of moeblob slice of life series exist just like this one. Because they serve as tranqulizer and takes all of your stress from your body. I giggled quite a lot while watching. Moreover if you have been reading or going through a long period of reading angsty manga and these sort of series are in need to take quick break from gloomy and heavy mood. I love how modern life is so stressful yet they are creating something that is super sedative just to wind it down. Like I said before I really loved the world of this series and it was a paradise, a world where everything was right and things were the way they were supposed to be. So it gets 8/10 from me and can't wait to see more episodes in the future. *goes and listens opening theme, Morning Arch <3*

And also they indeed made good parody of Mio’s Shimapan moment in the last episode. Well Yuuko is cute version or lets say twin of Mio but in Kansai dialect and I can't wait to see uncensored version of this moment:

vs

Last edited by Qpax; 2011-06-29 at 08:54.
Qpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 15:39   Link #353
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I enjoyed this series a lot. Maybe not as much as I hoped, having seen a bit of the manga, which seems a bit weirder than the anime. But the whole thing worked for me. The characters, the situations, the animation, the music.

True, there's no need to compare it to Nichijou, but I'll just say that I somehow lost interest in that show, but eagerly awaited each new episode of this one. For some reason. Maybe it's just that I liked these characters more as people. The characters there are more unique, more hilarious, and less like real humans.

The main cast here recorded a brief video that was posted on the official site just before the final episode aired. I'm sorry, the NicoNico version didn't come with the ability to embed it in a web page, so here are links:

NicoNico (requires registration).
official site (slow).

Left to right: Kotobuki Minako (Yuuko), Fukuhara Kaori (Run), Yuuki Aoi (Tooru, with baseball bat), Uchiyama Yumi (Nagi).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 15:54   Link #354
Dawnstorm

Unexceptional content + Excellent execution = very enjoyable show!

I liked the subtelty of the show. Nothing's in your face. You can tell that the staff knew and liked their characters. The characters were the main draw for me. I'm going to miss them more than any other ensemble this season.

But I also liked the way they animated scenery: from falling cherry petals, to fireworks, to cracking ice puddles. It was all very pretty.

And Nagi's vision of Run standing under her "zebra" is an image I'll never forget.

I'm really happy I watched this.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 16:27   Link #355
Sol Falling

This show eventually became my most consistently enjoyable watch of the season. I'd end up always winding down the other series I picked up with it. I picked this up with a bit of uncertainty, thinking there were already so many other shows with more ambition this season and that I might have already seen it all anyways having read the manga, but in the end I can't regret watching A-Channel at all. Like others have said, a second season would most certainly be welcome.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 19:52   Link #356
Salt
the cynic

It's over...

When I first started watching, the first thought that came to mind was "This feels kind of like K-ON!.", probably due to Yuuko and Run who at first glance resemble Moi and Yui, but nevertheless the show came into it's own and developed a unique feel.

This show has growth into the highlight of my weeks. Kind of sad now that it's over.

PS: I for some reason find it easier to "accept" Yuuko more than Moi for some reason, despite their similarities.
Old 2011-06-25, 21:26   Link #357
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
PS: I for some reason find it easier to "accept" Yuuko more than Moi for some reason, despite their similarities.
I admit, Mio felt a bit "forced" to me, too, while Yuuko's moe attributes somehow seemed more natural.

Gotta say, I greatly enjoyed following A-Channel this season. Sure, not the next great masterpiece of Japanese television, but it put a smile on my face week after week, and what more could I ask?

I also gotta say, the attention to detail in this series is pretty surprising. Not necessarily mind-blowing, but there are lots of little things to notice upon rewatch. For example, I thought it was odd when Nagi hesitated before accepting the candy in episode 1, until it all made sense with her diet shenanigans a few episodes later. Similarly, you'll notice Tooru diligently taking notes in ep. 1 before Run mentions she's an honor student later in the series. Something else I didn't notice until it was pointed out-- in the last ep, Tooru is staring at the burger place's poster because it mentions "limited time offer," reminding her that her time with her friends is also limited.

It's little stuff like that which shows the care that was put into production.
Old 2011-06-25, 22:27   Link #358
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I enjoyed watching A Channel, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if they had different visual direction--something with more vibrant colors and backgrounds (like what you see in the scenes without realistic backgrounds), or a pallet of washed out pastels--to draw out the healing, lighthearted waffy-ness of the series. The manga seems lighter in tone even with a lot of deadpan jokes, though in contrast with the anime it doesn't have the enjoyable lead-ins and in-betweens that the animators added in. The current visual style would have fit better if they'd added more story to go with it outside of Tooru's worries in the last few episodes. Maybe they could have axed the dekophile and used the time he took up for more character development.

Edit: (a series I think did the emotional story comedy mix really well with a similar visual direction is Kanamemo)

Last edited by Decagon; 2011-06-25 at 22:48.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 01:41   Link #359
Salt
the cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I admit, Mio felt a bit "forced" to me, too, while Yuuko's moe attributes somehow seemed more natural.
I think it might be Moi's level of intelligence. Moi is just too smart!
Yuuko on the other hand is basically your average girl, with Nagi as the brainier of the pair, which I suppose makes it a bit more believable.

Quote:
I also gotta say, the attention to detail in this series is pretty surprising. Not necessarily mind-blowing, but there are lots of little things to notice upon rewatch. For example, I thought it was odd when Nagi hesitated before accepting the candy in episode 1, until it all made sense with her diet shenanigans a few episodes later. Similarly, you'll notice Tooru diligently taking notes in ep. 1 before Run mentions she's an honor student later in the series. Something else I didn't notice until it was pointed out-- in the last ep, Tooru is staring at the burger place's poster because it mentions "limited time offer," reminding her that her time with her friends is also limited.

It's little stuff like that which shows the care that was put into production.
/KeanuReevesVoice{ Woah. }
Old 2011-06-26, 02:29   Link #360
Peanutbutter

One of the most soothing series I've watched.

If there's ever a time I'm stressed, frustrated or whatever, I'll use this to calm myself down.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, manga time kirara, school life, seinen, slice of life