AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-15, 18:04   Link #26561
kyp275
Meh

ah, I see. It's an interesting take, but I'm not sure how applicable it is in real life, as the ability of someone to make positive ID depends largely on the circumstances and their practice. For example, in my case I'd like to think the chance of me making a false positive ID would be next to none, as a high powered flashlight is part of my HD equipment, and if I can't recognize a family member when they're being illuminated by 500 lumens... well, either I'm blind or I have just contracted some super-alzheimer

the opposite would be true if someone has a habit of firing in the dark at stuff they can't see or see very well, but to me that's more of an issue with poor firing discipline and training than false visual ID.
Old 2013-02-15, 18:12   Link #26562
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If I can't ID the target as friend or foe, I have no business firing at them - period. There are too many other options (firing into ceiling, vocal demands to ID that include "I have a gun pointed at you.", use of spotlight, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Wait... what if the asteroid was actually a scout by the bugs?
Heh, yeah I used the word "bugs" on purpose. You win the Easter Egg
Old 2013-02-15, 18:18   Link #26563
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Yes, generally, by being in a habit of "ask questions first, fire later", you can dodge the false positive problem.

Others may not be as wise as you of course. It's also very easy to lose your common sense when you're pumped up on adrenaline, ready to defend your homestead.

Anyway, what I'd take away is, if you're not 100% sure, you're probably incorrect. This kind of mathematics might be why accidental shootings are more common then actual defenses against a home invasion. You'd need to do some guesstimating before you had a reasonable idea though, and I don't have the resources (or time) to figure those out.
Old 2013-02-15, 18:21   Link #26564
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Yes, generally, by being in a habit of "ask questions first, fire later", you can dodge the false positive problem.

Others may not be as wise as you of course. It's also very easy to lose your common sense when you're pumped up on adrenaline, ready to defend your homestead.

Anyway, what I'd take away is, if you're not 100% sure, you're probably incorrect. This kind of mathematics might be why accidental shootings are more common then actual defenses against a home invasion. You'd need to do some guesstimating before you had a reasonable idea though, and I don't have the resources (or time) to figure those out.
Agreed - that's why I have absolutely no sympathy for deer hunters who "accidentally" peg another hunter. That is pure negligence, not an accident.

Its like having an escape plan, an earthquake supply kit, whatever -- for too many people don't even go through the exercise of scenario planning for various events much less practice them.
Old 2013-02-15, 18:36   Link #26565
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I have to wonder how much people buying guns for home defense prime themselves for such an accident, too. I mean, someone who doesn't believe it's worth worrying about won't buy a gun in the first place, or won't reach for it at the first sound if he has one.

But among those who buy a gun, how many believe they will be invaded someday, and are not only willing but eager to have that happen so they can shoot someone and be validated?
Old 2013-02-15, 22:45   Link #26566
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Exclusive: North Korea tells China of preparations for fresh nuclear test - source
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91E0J820130216
Quote:
North Korea has told its key ally, China, that it is prepared to stage one or even two more nuclear tests this year in an effort to force the United States into diplomatic talks, said a source with direct knowledge of the message.

Further tests could also be accompanied this year by another rocket launch, said the source, who has direct access to the top levels of government in both Beijing and Pyongyang.
Old 2013-02-16, 02:06   Link #26567
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Here we go again.

From what I can gather, even people in China are pissed off at North Korea and are willing to support anything that could put an end to that wretched regime. I didn't think of it first, but all the depots containing food supplies destined to troops and politicians are good targets for initial strikes and THAT should hurt them a lot.

The World really needs to wake up, show out its fangs and make an example out of the DPRK in order to show everyone what happens when one country messes up with world peace by threatening everyone. The longer things are dragged, the more time the DPRK would have to sell nukes to terrorists as means to get money. I long for the lost days when several countries could find an agreement and allow a beating upon particular regimes doing very despicable things (i.e. the 1991 Gulf War and the Kosovo War).

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-02-16 at 05:13.
Old 2013-02-16, 02:16   Link #26568
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The Chinese business community is probably applying a few metric tons of pressure on the government about the impact of China's little rabid yap dog on the "big picture". I've always figured the PRC itself will finally say "enough' when it hits them in the pocketbook.
Old 2013-02-16, 06:26   Link #26569
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The Chinese business community is probably applying a few metric tons of pressure on the government about the impact of China's little rabid yap dog on the "big picture". I've always figured the PRC itself will finally say "enough' when it hits them in the pocketbook.
I thought the "natural resource" sector of this community isn't done on strip mining NK yet.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-02-16, 06:46   Link #26570
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Fugitive LA ex-cop may have died from self-inflicted gunshot
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91F00E20130216
Old 2013-02-16, 08:48   Link #26571
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Seeing how surprisingly WTF life can be....I actually get the feeling there's a small chance this may turn out to be an ironic thing where the Fat Tyrant is trying to squeeze more money out of everyone else to facilitate a transition to a new era like what Burma is doing...
Old 2013-02-16, 08:51   Link #26572
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Singaporeans Protest Plan to Increase Population by Immigration

Quote:
Thousands of Singaporeans demonstrated today against a government plan to increase the island’s population through immigration, saying the policy will erode the national identity and threaten their livelihoods.
Protesters gathered at Speakers’ Corner at Hong Lim Park at the edge of the city’s financial district on a rainy afternoon, many dressed in black and carrying signs opposing the plan. Lawmakers from Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s ruling party last week endorsed a white paper that outlined proposals including allowing more foreigners through 2030 to boost the workforce.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...migration.html

Old 2013-02-16, 09:35   Link #26573
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Our CEO ran out of ideas to grow the company.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-02-16, 11:00   Link #26574
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Singaporeans actually....protesting O__o
Old 2013-02-16, 11:02   Link #26575
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Meanwhile in Malaysia...

Malaysia detains Australia senator Nick Xenophon
Old 2013-02-16, 11:18   Link #26576
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Singaporeans actually....protesting O__o
We already did. Against Odex in '07, with a whole line of figurines, remember?

I guess we otaku led the charge against discontent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I thought it is pretty normal in Malaysia to detain anyone they don't like.

Old 2013-02-16, 11:20   Link #26577
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Sorry...the Odex fiasco was simply so stupid, it refused to register in my mind...
Old 2013-02-16, 15:14   Link #26578
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
Let's not get too dramatic, that rock *only* had the punch of the bomb that destroyed Nagasaki, so it sucks if it hits your city, but you would need to be a really small country to be obliterated by that (unless of course, some cold war era protocol activates and the nukes start flying because the meteor destroys a Russian city (yeah, reminds me of a Superman comic where destroying the Fortress of Solitude could trigger the destruction of Earth)..
Sir, it doesn't give a complete picture of energy released by an explosion that happens as a result of nuclear fusion and the energy released by an explosion due to an impact at super speed. While I'm not disputing what you are saying, allow me to lay down couple of facts to make a clearer picture of why a nuclear bomb can never equal the impact of an Asteroid that size. Our earth is moving around the sun at about 67000 miles per hour. This rock was moving at 17500 miles an hour. If the earth gets in the way of this rock, then the impact is something similar to two cars colliding head-on. The global impact may be nominal depending on where it falls because it's not large enough. That said, the human casualty should be a lot higher if it falls on the sea. If it falls on the land, then aside for the immediate destruction of a city or two, it can trigger all kind of geological events. And if we are really unlucky, then couple of dozens volcanoes' go off simultaneously. The dinosaur killer didn't wipe out everything from earth instantly despite its humongous size. One of the global extinction scenarios involves 20-100 volcanoes going of simultaneously, which would expel so much gas and dirt in our atmosphere that would block out the sun for a while (1 to 100 years.) Once the vegetation goes, the ecology breaks down fairly quickly to trigger a mass extinction. A 150-feet wide rock can do a lot of damage in a global scale than a one or two Hiroshima-type nuke. And if we are unlucky enough, then the 150-feet wide rock would fall on a place that has all the perfect condition going for it to trigger a mass extinction event. It may take a few years for that size of rock compared to the dinosaur-killer, but the point is our ecosystem is really that fragile and it doesn't take much.

Quote:
That's because it was MY birthday
Was it really? Happy belated birthday!

Quote:
There's some suspicion that the asteroid has a "cloud of debris" associated with it and the the Russian event was one of the "bugs". I'm still waiting to see what the analysis of the bug's flight path reveals (was it aligned with the asteroid, blah blah).
Considering the chunk was about 10 feet wide, and probably consist of iron, I say the suspicions aren't baseless. If the sonic boom can do this much damage from such a small chunk, I can only imagine what kind of BOOM could have happened if a 150-feet wide rock made entry in our atmosphere. I also found an image of the landing site (slide-3):

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...?smid=pl-share

Wonder how big the surviving chunk going to be after the explosion? Probably a pebble. I know the astrophysicists all around the world are having a non-stop orgasm since yesterday.
Old 2013-02-16, 15:23   Link #26579
kyp275
Meh

Nice one Facebook...

I too would like to pay zero income taxes after making over $1bil in profit, yet somehow still get $429mil in refunds:

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?p...d-f91d67e30b92
Old 2013-02-16, 15:30   Link #26580
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I too would like to pay zero income taxes after making over $1bil in profit, yet somehow still get $429mil in refunds:

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?p...d-f91d67e30b92
Anyone care to break down how does the, "the tax deductibility of executive stock options" works in layman terms?
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international