AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-11-18, 12:09   Link #1341
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit View Post
Mmm...he goes through severe emotional trauma, yes. But I do also agree that the word 'emo' makes it sound redundant and a lot less serious. This isn't. But if emo's the word you use for any sort of emotional angst, then I suppose he does. Become 'emo', that is. It's emotional /and/ mental, though. Jarring doesn't even begin to cover it when you're not just betrayed but you're betrayed in the worst way and end up with innocent blood on your hands. It's the kind of thing you'd go through as well if you were put in his shoes.
Really isn't a surprise that he would snap at the end of the episode. The fact he was on whatever level you'd like to argue responsbile for thousands of deaths isn't something a person can brush off. Got hit with a serious of disturbing truths in a row. Van who he trusted more than anyone on the planet openly betrayed him. Then you can toss in all those people who died tied to that. Then for the heck of it get told he's a replica of the original Luke. Will be good when he gets a chance to cool his head.

Just a case where he'll have to pull it together. Sadly there isn't too much time for it since the world isn't going to wait to respond to this. Should be a very chaotic situation when you think about it. Following the score expecting a positive resolution to the situation. Instead its a disaster of unprecedented proportions.
Old 2008-11-18, 13:34   Link #1342
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Really isn't a surprise that he would snap at the end of the episode. The fact he was on whatever level you'd like to argue responsbile for thousands of deaths isn't something a person can brush off. Got hit with a serious of disturbing truths in a row. Van who he trusted more than anyone on the planet openly betrayed him. Then you can toss in all those people who died tied to that. Then for the heck of it get told he's a replica of the original Luke. Will be good when he gets a chance to cool his head.
It'd be a good wakeup call at any rate.

I mean, resolve is built through tragedy, I'd prefer to think Luke's finally seen that the world he lived in is nothing more but a thing of the past, and that it's time to realize the seriousness of what he's facing.

Also, the whole bit with the score and the sephiroth trees...makes you wonder why Ion didn't just tell the party about it sooner, or at least tell Luke.
Fynal_Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 16:56   Link #1343
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynal_Fyre View Post
It'd be a good wakeup call at any rate.

I mean, resolve is built through tragedy, I'd prefer to think Luke's finally seen that the world he lived in is nothing more but a thing of the past, and that it's time to realize the seriousness of what he's facing.

Also, the whole bit with the score and the sephiroth trees...makes you wonder why Ion didn't just tell the party about it sooner, or at least tell Luke.
Well I'm not surprised Ion didn't say anything about it. The idea of Van's plan is so outside normal thought it probably never occurred to Ion as a possibility. Without that danger there really wasn't a necessity to bring it up. Besides the fact that the whole thing is top secret he really couldn't talk about it. Once they were dropped it no point in not talking then. Long as he respects the position he has not a surprise he wasn't going to divulge anything.

Can't believe we forgot the important thing. Jade got his ride back .

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2008-11-18 at 18:23.
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 22:28   Link #1344
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:

Damn straight he did and remember thats what it was all about for me. U dont steal a mans ride its wrong
Old 2008-11-18, 22:44   Link #1345
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

Quote:
Well I'm not surprised Ion didn't say anything about it. The idea of Van's plan is so outside normal thought it probably never occurred to Ion as a possibility. Without that danger there really wasn't a necessity to bring it up. Besides the fact that the whole thing is top secret he really couldn't talk about it. Once they were dropped it no point in not talking then. Long as he respects the position he has not a surprise he wasn't going to divulge anything.

But I'm pretty sure they knew hyper-resonances could be used as powerful weapons of war. Though granted Ion wouldn't have thought Van would have the guts to try something like that.

He could have at least pleaded with Luke when he was destroying the pillar IMO. That...may or may not have worked though, given the ridiculous amount of trust Luke places in Van.

And yeah, Jade got his huge pimp'd out...tank-cum-fortress back.
Old 2008-11-18, 22:58   Link #1346
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
But I'm pretty sure they knew hyper-resonances could be used as powerful weapons of war. Though granted Ion wouldn't have thought Van would have the guts to try something like that.

He could have at least pleaded with Luke when he was destroying the pillar IMO. That...may or may not have worked though, given the ridiculous amount of trust Luke places in Van.

And yeah, Jade got his huge pimp'd out...tank-cum-fortress back.
He may have known Luke was a replica, but was Ion aware Luke could cause a hyper-resonance on his own? Don't remember Van saying that with Ion around him. If he knew Luke could do that it would have been really stupid to not tell him to stop after Van said to head to the passage ring and concentrate.

Not sure if pleading with Luke would matter once he was down there. If Luke was about to change his mind saying the phrase would probably have still caused him to destroy it. Plus before he could say much Ion would be knocked unconscious like he did anyways.

At least Jade can go back and report on the important stuff. Yes Akzeriuth was annihilated but he didn't lose his ride.
Old 2008-11-18, 23:40   Link #1347
vspirit
...huh?

Someone mentioned Ion giving in to Luke's pleadings as without a backbone or something along those lines. Come to think of it, I never did question that aspect while playing the game. Having played the game more than a year ago, I forgot whether it's because it was justified or whether I plain didn't think to question it. -.-;; Still, if it were as obviously stupid as that someone has mentioned, I'm sure I would've noticed it. Strange...

I also can't remember if Ion's aware of Luke's hyperresonance ability as I can't recall if the score ever detailed that bit. But it's just as well. This way I can enjoy the anime like it was a brand new story, haha.
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 00:43   Link #1348
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

Quote:
He may have known Luke was a replica, but was Ion aware Luke could cause a hyper-resonance on his own? Don't remember Van saying that with Ion around him.
I always had the inkling that Ion knew what Luke was capable of ever since the meeting with Asch. If Asch (probably) knew what Luke was capable of doing since he was trying to force him to stop, it seems likely Ion would know too.

Speculation though.

Quote:
If he knew Luke could do that it would have been really stupid to not tell him to stop after Van said to head to the passage ring and concentrate.
Good point. Knowing Luke, at that point in time he'd have trusted Van over ANYONE.

Quote:
Not sure if pleading with Luke would matter once he was down there. If Luke was about to change his mind saying the phrase would probably have still caused him to destroy it. Plus before he could say much Ion would be knocked unconscious like he did anyways.
Yeah, but Asch was trying to stop him too though.

Quote:
At least Jade can go back and report on the important stuff. Yes Akzeriuth was annihilated but he didn't lose his ride.
That's the good part.
Old 2008-11-19, 02:48   Link #1349
Peanutbutter

Seeing the preview for Ep 9, I have a feeling I'll start shedding tears while seeing Asch.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 03:35   Link #1350
yolin.shana

Ion trusted Van too. The one he was suspiscious of was Mohs, but to him, Van had always been on their side.
I don't really see how the situation could have been avoided... If Ion hadn't opened the door, Van would have probably found another way.
And Luke had that thing with the trigger phrase, so even if he had hesitated, Van would have still found a way to activate it.
The only way to prevent Akzeriuth would have been to let Tear kill her dear brother at the beginning xD
(and that might not have been enough...)
yolin.shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 05:35   Link #1351
kujoe
from head to heel

I think the only way that you could avoid such a calamity is if Luke doesn't go to Azeriuth in the first place.

But you know, there's the Score... and Van doesn't even have to do anything except wait for the King to give the order to Luke. Sometimes, I think that this has been a wake up call for the King and the Duke themselves. This over-reliance on the Score has sown the seeds of such a disaster.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 08:13   Link #1352
FrOzE BLadE

little wonders why its always Tear who saves Natalia and not other guys (well forget about Luke, or Jade (he'll probably just give an excuse about crackin his old bone) but Guy?) =\

oh well anyway, Jade's Seiyuu did an awesome job one Jade's FAKE "hahaha". Heavy scent of scarcsm. They dropped quite alof of hints in epi 7.

FrOzE BLadE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 11:08   Link #1353
yolin.shana

I love Jade's seiyuu<33
But I love his English VA too~
It's like with Kratos in Symphonia : they both portray the character differently but in an equally awesome way <3
yolin.shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 11:41   Link #1354
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
So in the next episode it looks like not do Asch and Natalia get some alone screen time together but so does Luke and Tear. Things should prove to be most interesting though i see Asch being a complete douche to Natalia.
Old 2008-11-19, 17:06   Link #1355
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
I always had the inkling that Ion knew what Luke was capable of ever since the meeting with Asch. If Asch (probably) knew what Luke was capable of doing since he was trying to force him to stop, it seems likely Ion would know too.
But would Ion know that Asch could cause a hyper resonance on his own just by meeting him? I mean sure its possible during that plesant ride they had to the ship they would have talked all about Asch . Asch definitely knew that Luke could do that. Luke is his replica which means they should have the same ability. Its possible that Ion knew, but I just thought that he had no idea. I mean no way I'm letting someone that can do something that destructive anywhere near the passage rings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
So in the next episode it looks like not do Asch and Natalia get some alone screen time together but so does Luke and Tear. Things should prove to be most interesting though i see Asch being a complete douche to Natalia.
Well considering Asch's conversation record its good speculation. Has he talked nicely with anyone so far ? It should be interesting next episode since it appears they will get a moment to talk. Though after all that's happened wonder if he will open up. Not having experience with losing my identity I wouldn't know.
Old 2008-11-19, 20:12   Link #1356
kujoe
from head to heel

The problem with Ion for me is not whether he knows what Luke or Asch are capable of doing or not, but rather, he hasn't been shown to be even remotely suspicious of what he's been doing for Van and the God Generals. He's just too meek and practically goes with the flow. Sure, what he has done may be harmless, but that still has to raise some alarm bells in your head considering that you're being made to do stuff for your "enemy".

Perhaps he does become suspicious, but it's doubtful when the story doesn't really emphasize it. The end result is that makes Ion look like as if he lacks foresight about these events... despite the context of his circumstances even (i.e., on a mission to prevent war). It's only towards the end of it all when he expresses some doubt and suspicion.

In the end, he gets a free ride past the blame game after Akzeriuth, simply because he gets off due to good behavior unlike Luke who acts like an ass about it. Like Luke however, he shares a good deal of the responsibility.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 20:14   Link #1357
xellos2099

So Spinoza is making an appearance next week based on the preview. I sooo want to kill him for what he did, not only to Asch but to the people he knew as well.
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 21:14   Link #1358
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~

Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
Spinoza... who again? ^^;;;;;

Minnie's Blog- My thoughts, my stories.
Hey, Say, Anime!- My anime blog with a group of writers.
rose-wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 21:29   Link #1359
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos2099 View Post
So Spinoza is making an appearance next week based on the preview. I sooo want to kill him for what he did, not only to Asch but to the people he knew as well.
Lol, has that part come up yet. Anyway, this upcomiming episode should really be interesting since it has Luke starting to change his ways.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 06:39   Link #1360
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

This quote is the central point of the mentally immature Luke. "Everyone keeps making a fool out of me. I'm going to save Akzeriuth and wipe those looks off their faces!" It leads to the great disaster. Everyone in the group may not have known he was mentally a moron but Guy and Natalia knew and should have stopped him from doing all the stupid shit he did to lead up to this point. Is there something against slapping the crap outta him? Seriously, spare the rod and spoil the child in this case. I don't care if he was a spoiled brat raised secluded in a palace with a mentality of a seven year old. If that's the case then you should treat him like a seven year old. Do you give a seven year old a sword and allow him to run about killing things? It's hypocrisy to allow Luke to act and function as an adult when you know he is not an adult. By doing that you are allowing whatever misfortune to happen. Are Guy and Natalia essentially his guardians at this point? Obviously we know that Van is manipulating the simpleton into doing whatever he wants to be done. But again why would Fon Master Ion go along with it? Even though he's a child himself he should know better and yet he just goes along with it all as if nothing is wrong.

A lot of the characters have serious common sense issues. Luke just happens to be the lowest character on the common sense comprehension level.

Oh and I'm glad they all black listed him in the end even it's only temporary. Maybe realizing that his own actions killed thousands of people might force him to wake up a little bit. I doubt it but there is always hoping his character improves. Right now Luke irritates the crap outta me and has since Episode 1. He needs a muzzle to keep his mouth shut. Maybe someone can conjure their magic and remove his voice for a few episodes. That might help.

Last edited by kilroy0097; 2008-11-20 at 06:54.
kilroy0097 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy