AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-03, 14:34   Link #1
LuciaMelody

Send a message via AIM to LuciaMelody
Fruits Basket

I was wondering how many volumes are in Fruit Basket? It says on this one website that 12, but there are different editions, right? Is it 12 skinny books or 12 Tokyo Pop graphic novel books?

I just read the first volume and its soooo good!!! But if its 12 books then its $120 X_X'
Old 2004-05-03, 14:43   Link #2
Ialdaboth

Last time I checked (on Nippon Export) there was 13 tankoubons (the big, 180+ pages books).

Fruits Basket is an excelleeeeent manga, better than the TV series IMO. Where I live we are around tome 10, and it's still as good as it was at the beginning.
Old 2004-05-03, 14:48   Link #3
AnimeFangirl

Volume 14 came out in mid-April. I want it!!
Old 2004-05-03, 15:04   Link #4
Key
s e m p i t e r n a l

Send a message via AIM to Key Send a message via MSN to Key
Yep, there are 14 volumes out in Japan right now and the manga has yet to end.

And... skinny books? Nani? @.@ The TP translations of Furuba have exactly the same amount of pages as the Japanese one (maybe give or take a few pages, since there may be blank pages, etc.); also, their has been only one edition of the manga in Japan... no bunkoban or wideban or anything (only the original shinsoban). ^^;

Last edited by Key; 2004-05-03 at 15:22.
Old 2004-05-03, 15:17   Link #5
LuciaMelody

lol what did I get myself into >_< Im gonna be so broke now......
I was staying away from all the manga series but then I won this book in a contest, read it and got totally hooked -_-'

Thank u guys!!!!
Old 2004-05-03, 15:25   Link #6
Key
s e m p i t e r n a l

O, I'm sure you will get even more hooked soon! XD

Well, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but it gets even better from volume 3... And volume 6... so wonderful (and heartfelt, blah blah).

I think it's worth a warning, though, that the artwork changes midway through the series (maybe around volume 9 or so?). Everyone looks quite different from how they looked at the start of the series (you won't have trouble telling them apart, but they all look older and... well, different).
Old 2004-05-03, 15:36   Link #7
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key
I think it's worth a warning, though, that the artwork changes midway through the series (maybe around volume 9 or so?). Everyone looks quite different from how they looked at the start of the series (you won't have trouble telling them apart, but they all look older and... well, different).
Yes.
It struck at volume 8 : The characters look more adult. It's particulary flagrant with Yuki, Kyo & Tohru.

Last edited by Ialdaboth; 2004-05-03 at 16:19.
Old 2004-05-03, 15:57   Link #8
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

The artwork may look different because the author got a surgery on the arm wich she uses for drawing. She said that in a freetalk ( i read the french edition of Akata Delcourt). She also said before that she tried to draw the character in a way for us to see that they have grow. I hate my english i can't say anything like i want it to be!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2004-05-03, 16:10   Link #9
Ialdaboth

Yes, true.
But it was said in only that freetalk, and not confirmed elsewhere (well, i haven't searched a lot, too ^^ ), so I put it aside, waiting to find more infos on Takaya-sensei condition.
Old 2004-05-03, 16:38   Link #10
Key
s e m p i t e r n a l

So it was surgery? Apparently, there's more than one of these stories floating around.

In the freetalk, it says Takaya-sensei had surgery performed on her arm, it was said on another forum that she had to fire one of her main assistants, and another that said she got into a car accident... although maybe this could account for the surgery in the first place.

HM.
Old 2004-05-03, 17:06   Link #11
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMelody
I was wondering how many volumes are in Fruit Basket? It says on this one website that 12, but there are different editions, right? Is it 12 skinny books or 12 Tokyo Pop graphic novel books?

I just read the first volume and its soooo good!!! But if its 12 books then its $120 X_X'
14 volumes, 1 every 2 months, that's over TWO YEARS before they reach vol. 14
that's about 5 bucks a month
you can afford it
Old 2004-05-03, 17:24   Link #12
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialdaboth
Yes.
It struck at volume 8 : The characters look more adult. It's particulary flagrant with Yuki, Kyo & Tohru.
And Momiji, he looks way older and more bishie now, just like Hatsuharu said he would. The older characters like Shigure look much the same, though.
Old 2004-05-04, 10:02   Link #13
LuciaMelody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
14 volumes, 1 every 2 months,
Every2 months? yeah...when u put it that way it does sound so bad. I just keep remembering the huge pile of Sailor Moon books I have >_<'

Interesting about the art changing - i like the one that she is using right now. Super cool story is not gonna change ^-^
Old 2004-05-04, 11:35   Link #14
KristopherZ
Car Freak

Send a message via AIM to KristopherZ Send a message via MSN to KristopherZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
14 volumes, 1 every 2 months, that's over TWO YEARS before they reach vol. 14
that's about 5 bucks a month
you can afford it
Really? I thought it was MUCH different for monthly anthologies (which are 30+ pages per chapter), where the tanks are released every 5 or 6 months. After all Kare Kano started in 1994 and is now in the 19 volume (as far as I know) with the 2004 releases.

Yes, Kare Kano is 10 years old believe it or not.
Old 2004-05-04, 11:37   Link #15
KristopherZ
Car Freak

Send a message via AIM to KristopherZ Send a message via MSN to KristopherZ
I love fruits basket, probably my 3rd favorite manga series of all time (after Kare Kano and Rurouni Kenshin). I know that it may be strange to have a guy that has 2/3 favorite series of all time be shojos.
Old 2004-05-04, 12:51   Link #16
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherZ
I know that it may be strange to have a guy that has 2/3 favorite series of all time be shojos.
Seems perfectly normal to me.

A lot of shoujo fans are male. Look at Marimite...
Shounen manga like Jojo can be fun for some time, but when I am looking for good plots and/or interesting (read : wicked ^^) characters, I tend to search into shoujo titles.
Old 2004-05-04, 17:59   Link #17
Spyre
"Soon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key
So it was surgery? Apparently, there's more than one of these stories floating around.

In the freetalk, it says Takaya-sensei had surgery performed on her arm, it was said on another forum that she had to fire one of her main assistants, and another that said she got into a car accident... although maybe this could account for the surgery in the first place.

HM.
Maybe her assistant was driving her somewhere and got in an accident, which forced her to have surgery on her arm, and as a result she fired the assistant
Old 2004-05-04, 18:58   Link #18
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherZ
Really? I thought it was MUCH different for monthly anthologies (which are 30+ pages per chapter), where the tanks are released every 5 or 6 months. After all Kare Kano started in 1994 and is now in the 19 volume (as far as I know) with the 2004 releases.

Yes, Kare Kano is 10 years old believe it or not.
Crazy, too much stuff the Karekano anime left out...

About Fruits Basket, because of the anime and some scanslated manga, I'll still have to wait almost a year before I can catch up to the events 'after' the anime (around vol. 7-8 right?). I'd say not bad... long waits for Furuba is better than no Furuba.
Old 2004-05-05, 02:34   Link #19
Aurora
Just visiting...

Send a message via AIM to Aurora
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
I'd say not bad... long waits for Furuba is better than no Furuba.
Good point, although I'd be less inclined to agree had I just read a newly released volume. It always takes a couple days to shake the 'need' for more.
Old 2004-06-03, 16:12   Link #20
Sessoumaru's girl

Fruits Basket

Hey all! This is my first post on this lovely site. Pleased to meet all of you. =D I had a question about the manga series "Fruits Basket" I was recently directed to by a friend. I picked up the first one at the bookstore and now I'm addicted. But, I've only been able to find the first two volumes so far. Are there more? Are there only two translated so far?
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, romance