AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2013-01-06, 12:06   Link #10301
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic View Post
OK, I understand that if Rogue and Gajeel wanted to fight they would try to meet each other. Same goes for others. BUT the only one who decides everything is Mashima. And In my opininon it would be better not to stick with the plan. Come on, these fights were foreshadowed like weeks ago. Why not to make another twist and surprise everybody?
Was Juvia/Cheria forshadowed? Who has Jura been forshadowed to fight? What about Sting? Natsu isn't here, after all. Not everything has been foreshadowed and we still have plenty of time for twists.

But you'll have to accept that foreshadowing is a valid story tactic. And it is common for those that have histories or certain propensities, to end up clashing in the finals battles. Shonen in particular, is renowned for this.

Did you have a problem with Gray fighting Juvia in the Phantom arc? Did you have a problem with Natsu fighting the fire guy in the Phantom arc? Did you have a problem with Gray and Lyon fighting in the Galuna island arc? Did you have a problem with Erza fighting Jellal in the Heaven's tower arc? I could go on, but you've seen this all before. The main protagonist is gonna fight the main villain... do you have a problem with that? Would you prefer a "twist" when Wendy fights Zeref alone and wins?
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 13:52   Link #10302
classic

Quote:
Was Juvia/Cheria forshadowed?
Not, but it is not surprising they fight. Catfight.
Quote:
Who has Jura been forshadowed to fight?
That is the last thing which is keeping the competition at least not 100% predicted.
Quote:
What about Sting? Natsu isn't here, after all. Not everything has been foreshadowed and we still have plenty of time for twists.
But you'll have to accept that foreshadowing is a valid story tactic. And it is common for those that have histories or certain propensities, to end up clashing in the finals battles. Shonen in particular, is renowned for this.
I am OK with foreshadowing, but if after all this foreshadowing we somehow had Chelia fighting Orga, Rogue vs Juvia, Laxus and Gray doing their best vs Jura, Gajeel vs Lyon. It would had been much more interesting.
Considering Sting, he already was beaten to a pulp by Natsu. Mashima will never repeat the same twice. I think he will mess up Minervas plans somehow. May be even fighting her.
Quote:
Did you have a problem with Gray fighting Juvia in the Phantom arc? Did you have a problem with Natsu fighting the fire guy in the Phantom arc? Did you have a problem with Gray and Lyon fighting in the Galuna island arc? Did you have a problem with Erza fighting Jellal in the Heaven's tower arc? I could go on, but you've seen this all before. The main protagonist is gonna fight the main villain... do you have a problem with that? Would you prefer a "twist" when Wendy fights Zeref alone and wins?
Why did you remembered all these? We are talking about current ark. You know i would not have been reading FT for so long if i didn`t like at least something in it. Wendy vs Zeref is of course too much, but what i wrote earlier were possible.
classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 15:38   Link #10303
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
gray vs juvia is a bad example because they aren't the same element.
1. Gray and Leon were rivals so they were going to fight
2. Erza vs Jellal was the whole point of the tower of heaven.
3. Natsu vs Zancrow was coincidence since we didn't know about his power until he started
All the fights that are happening are because they fit with the whole Sabertooth vs Fairy Tail.
Natsu and Gajeel vs Sting Rogue- Dragon Slayer magic.
Laxus vs Orga- Both lightning users
Erza vs Minerva Female Wizards
Gray vs Rufus- Maker magic users. The point of each is basically to prove that FT is stronger in every way.
Only reason kagura is involved is cause of Jellal and I expect kagura backstory very soon to explain why she has that sword and why she hates jellal
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 15:40   Link #10304
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
3. Natsu vs Zancrow was coincidence since we didn't know about his power until he started
We had already seen that Zancrow used black fire BEFORE he fought Natsu. The second we knew that everyone immediately figured he would be fighting Natsu.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 16:20   Link #10305
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Half true... Azuma usedfire too and Natsu charged athis location. I recall plenty saying they'd end up fighting not Zancrow and Natsu as it turned out to happen instead.
Old 2013-01-06, 19:09   Link #10306
ImperialFlameGod8190

either way the fights in this final so far have all been foreshadowed this entire series so I see no complaints now its a matter of how well they do them
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 21:04   Link #10307
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic
I am OK with foreshadowing, but if after all this foreshadowing we somehow had Chelia fighting Orga, Rogue vs Juvia, Laxus and Gray doing their best vs Jura, Gajeel vs Lyon. It would had been much more interesting.
Wait, you're okay with foreshadowing, only if said foreshadowing doesn't come to pass? Do you understand what foreshadowing is, in a literary context? It means that you signal what is to come.

Quote:
Considering Sting, he already was beaten to a pulp by Natsu. Mashima will never repeat the same twice. I think he will mess up Minervas plans somehow. May be even fighting her.
But Sting fighting Natsu again would be a twist, eh? After all, he was beaten once, and it would be surprising to have Natsu show up in the tournament and fight Sting again.

Quote:
Why did you remembered all these? We are talking about current ark. You know i would not have been reading FT for so long if i didn`t like at least something in it. Wendy vs Zeref is of course too much, but what i wrote earlier were possible.
Why not? You were the one who wanted twists, and didn't want the obvious matchups that were foreshadowed. So what would be wrong with Wendy vs. Zeref? You complain if the foreshadowed matchups happen, and you'd complain if we got twist matchups. At least pick a side and be consistent.

And yes, I remembered all of those, because they were all foreshadowed fights in one way or another. Well, Gray/Juvia was a bit too subtle, but ice and water are close enough that it seemed likely. Would you have preferred Natsu/Juvia in the Phantom arc? After all, Natsu fighting another fire user was kinda stupid, eh? Would have been better to have a twist matchup. Hmm, perhaps Natsu/Earth Guy would have been a better matchup. Elfman could have fought Juvia instead.
Old 2013-01-07, 13:02   Link #10308
classic

Quote:
Wait, you're okay with foreshadowing, only if said foreshadowing doesn't come to pass? Do you understand what foreshadowing is, in a literary context? It means that you signal what is to come.
Is it a rule for foreshadows to come true? I dont`t think so. Why not make like Erza/ Elfman switch to fight Bachus? Mashima clearly wanted us to think that Erza will be his opponent. Believed we or not it is another question. The fact is you can foreshadow a lot, but they are not Charle`s premonitions. They don`t have to come real.
Quote:
But Sting fighting Natsu again would be a twist, eh? After all, he was beaten once, and it would be surprising to have Natsu show up in the tournament and fight Sting again.
It would be a twist, but twists can be boring as well. I cannot tell what Mashima will decide. Don`t make me predict future plot. I am only talking about what happend already in the last chapter; that is, these boring match ups.
Quote:
Why not? You were the one who wanted twists, and didn't want the obvious matchups that were foreshadowed. So what would be wrong with Wendy vs. Zeref? You complain if the foreshadowed matchups happen, and you'd complain if we got twist matchups. At least pick a side and be consistent.
Wendy vs Zeref is absurd, but i never told that i don`t want it. It would be hilarious. Still, I wrote you possible pairings and you go from one extreme to another.
Quote:
And yes, I remembered all of those, because they were all foreshadowed fights in one way or another. Well, Gray/Juvia was a bit too subtle, but ice and water are close enough that it seemed likely. Would you have preferred Natsu/Juvia in the Phantom arc?
Were they? We even didn`t saw Totomaru`s face until he faced Natsu. How would we know that he is a fire user and that he will fight Natsu. And Juvia was screwed up against both Natsu and Gray from the beginning due to her elements` weaknesses.
Quote:
After all, Natsu fighting another fire user was kinda stupid, eh?
Yes, it was. Although that time i was not tired of it.
Quote:
Hmm, perhaps Natsu/Earth Guy would have been a better matchup.
Well,
why not?
Quote:
Elfman could have fought Juvia instead.
Why not? It`s ok for me.
You can say that these is illogical and for you it really is.
What i don`t like are genre cliches and can`t do anything about them. Shounen cliches. FT`s has them less than Bleach for example, but i can`t wish for more.
Old 2013-01-07, 16:03   Link #10309
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Is it a rule for foreshadows to come true? I dont`t think so. Why not make like Erza/ Elfman switch to fight Bachus? Mashima clearly wanted us to think that Erza will be his opponent. Believed we or not it is another question. The fact is you can foreshadow a lot, but they are not Charle`s premonitions. They don`t have to come real.
So, by your own acknowledgement, Mashima already does a mix of foreshadow and twist matchups. So what are you complaining about?

Quote:
It would be a twist, but twists can be boring as well. I cannot tell what Mashima will decide. Don`t make me predict future plot. I am only talking about what happend already in the last chapter; that is, these boring match ups.
You'll just have to accept that you are in the minority here. Most people would rather see Gadjeel and Rogue fight each other, rather than see Gadjeel fight Cheria.

Quote:
Wendy vs Zeref is absurd, but i never told that i don`t want it. It would be hilarious. Still, I wrote you possible pairings and you go from one extreme to another.
Merely following your complaint to its logical conclusion. So, if you want a mix of foreshadow and twist, then we already have that. Which renders your complaint pointless.

Quote:
What i don`t like are genre cliches and can`t do anything about them. Shounen cliches. FT`s has them less than Bleach for example, but i can`t wish for more.
Cliches will be in everything you read or watch. They are what every damn story is made of. The good guy will confront the bad guy at the end. People with history or links with someone else, will confront them. If they don't, it is bad storytelling. There need to be conclusions to character arcs. You might want to learn to accept thst now, and you'll feel less grief in the future.
Old 2013-01-07, 17:29   Link #10310
classic

Quote:
So, by your own acknowledgement, Mashima already does a mix of foreshadow and twist matchups. So what are you complaining about?
To have more twist matchups. Don`t make foreshadows or do them in the way that people still were not sure what is awaiting them in the story. Or would you rather know every pairing beforehand?
Quote:
You'll just have to accept that you are in the minority here. Most people would rather see Gadjeel and Rogue fight each other, rather than see Gadjeel fight Cheria.
Only because they want to fight each other? Or may be cause someone should be a fodder to show how strong Gadjeel is. These match up only means that Rogue will be beaten up in order to Gadjeel to have some screen time.
Quote:
Merely following your complaint to its logical conclusion. So, if you want a mix of foreshadow and twist, then we already have that. Which renders your complaint pointless.
What?? I want twists, but what we had is super LAME last chapter every part of which was predictable. It was not what i expected waiting last two weeks.
Quote:
Cliches will be in everything you read or watch. They are what every damn story is made of. The good guy will confront the bad guy at the end. People with history or links with someone else, will confront them. If they don't, it is bad storytelling. There need to be conclusions to character arcs. You might want to learn to accept thst now, and you'll feel less grief in the future.
Cliches will be, but the amount of them may vary. Last chapter consisted of cliches on 99.9%. I never heard that tiring up a cliche were bad for a manga. That makes it more interesting. Manga was great in the beginning of the ark dai matou enbu. Now its again became predictable even when we still dont fully know about Eclipse plan.
Old 2013-01-07, 20:01   Link #10311
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
To have more twist matchups. Don`t make foreshadows or do them in the way that people still were not sure what is awaiting them in the story. Or would you rather know every pairing beforehand?
Foreshadowing is storytelling 101. And if you're doing it right, it's mostly subtle, and it doesn't give everything away. Just hints at what is to come. Because, honestly speaking, we *didn't* know who would match up during this, until it happened; we just had some guesses. This is just the way it turned out. Why can't you leave it like that? If Mashima didn't have Mavis as a tactical wiz in this mix, and thus they met up more randomly (but still same matchups), you may have had a point. But they didn't. Like it or not, Mashima set things up well enough. Perhaps Mavis, in her tactical thinking mind, realized Laxus was the only one who could beat Orga. Perhaps she realized Gadjeel was the best person to beat Rogue. We already saw that she set Erza up to fight Minerva, figuring Erza was the best one who could take her.

Honestly, dude, it really sounds you're nitpicking and being pedantic. We have TWO matchups that you have a problem with, out of how many this arc? Can't you just let those two fights go?
Old 2013-01-08, 21:30   Link #10312
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Well that's where the problem starts. He was following same formula forever, isn't it about time to become a bit more creative?

It is cool and exciting at first, but when you see same thing happening 50 times over it's boring and shows lack of creativity on author's side =/

In all honesty we didn't even need hints to predict almost every match up there. It is THAT obvious!
Old 2013-01-09, 12:37   Link #10313
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Well that's where the problem starts. He was following same formula forever, isn't it about time to become a bit more creative?

It is cool and exciting at first, but when you see same thing happening 50 times over it's boring and shows lack of creativity on author's side =/

In all honesty we didn't even need hints to predict almost every match up there. It is THAT obvious!
So, you were able to predict every single matchup this arc? Can you tell us who Sting and Jura will fight?
Old 2013-01-09, 16:19   Link #10314
Vmem

kitten, I think you're forgettin that this is an action shonen; for me, just given the genre, predictable fight pairings is pretty much a given. hell, Fairy Tail would lose most of it's fan base is Mashima started being more realistic, and have someone like Jura run around and disrupt half the current pairings by pwning everyone (not that it wouldn't be realistic or fun to see).

My other point would be that you're forgetting Rufus from ST also has pretty decent strategic abilities. all in all, between him and Mavis, FT and ST members should be pairing up only with enemies they WANT to fight, having Kagura as the only outlier as even Mavis didn't know Kagura's epic grudge against Jallal and now Erza
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 01:23   Link #10315
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Spoiler pics out

Not posted here though... on cell ATM, sorry

Spoiler for ch 314 spoiler pic description:
Old 2013-01-11, 02:00   Link #10316
ReinhartX

where do u see the spoiler pics?
ReinhartX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 03:33   Link #10317