AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-03-20, 01:48   Link #1
Devin

Tales of Phantasia Game Discussion

Another RPG game, this one from Super Famicon(SNES of Japan). What i like about this one was the character actually "talked". Yep, I believe this was the first console RPG with "voice" features. Also, the characters have common anime character expressions such as huge sweat drops, and distorted facial expression. Overall a very interesting anime and in my opinion, it was a breakthrough in console RPGs with it's sound feature and superb graphics.

here's a link to some of the image galleries of characters. Very cool anime type rpg.

http://www.fantasyanime.com/legacy/top_art.htm
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 03:58   Link #2
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

I loved everything about the game. The music, characters, storyline, and especially the battle system, the beginnings of the greatest battle system ever invented for an RPG.

None of that 'press a button and watch', it's like 4 player Street Fighter!

The Tales series has the one most important thing that most RPGs lack: Character Interaction. Not just character interaction during plot events, but interaction everywhere. It draws you in, getting you to know the characters better, brings them to life, and by the end of the game, makes you truely care about them.

Plus Arche is in it
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 05:43   Link #3
Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot

Plus Arche is in it
Hmmm, your avatar sure resembles Arche alot. Is it her?
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 10:42   Link #4
SoulDrinker
wandering soul

Send a message via MSN to SoulDrinker
this game is great and if u can find the combo pad and find all the button combos it can be like street fighter. is anyone else getting the gamecube sequel?
SoulDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 14:06   Link #5
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Yes, my avatar is Arche.

It's a ToP figurine

And the new GC game isn't a sequel, it's a prequel.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 18:54   Link #6
DekaMaster
Banned

I hope the ToP port to GBA makes it out in the us. The fantranslation of the Sfam game was a joke. "I bet she fucks like a tiger" gimme a break.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 20:28   Link #7
TDKNL
GIF genin

Send a message via MSN to TDKNL
Loved the SNES version, played it all day.
And now, every now and then

Hope that the GBA version has some extra's

Can't wait till the OVA's are released this year
TDKNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 21:37   Link #8
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

I played both an incomplete translation (years before any were available publically) of the SNES ver, and the PSX ver. Both were quite enjoyable, but I never finished either version.
Old 2004-03-20, 22:10   Link #9
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
You all should try, tales of eternia. AKA: tales of destiny 2.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 13:17   Link #10
TheXev

Send a message via AIM to TheXev
Quote:
I hope the ToP port to GBA makes it out in the us. The fantranslation of the Sfam game was a joke. "I bet she fucks like a tiger" gimme a break.
No you don’t. lol The GBA version of ToP is worse then the SFAM version, and the music is a complete joke! Namco should fall over and die for releasing such a lousy port.

I agree, DeJap’s translation of the game is a joke. I bought the PSX version of ToP, and it excels at nearly everything the original version was good at (save the instrument sets used on the music). There is also an ongoing fan translation of the PSX version of ToP underway, although progress is incredibly slow since there is very little experience from anyone in hacking Playstation games.
TheXev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 13:40   Link #11
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheXev
No you don’t. lol The GBA version of ToP is worse then the SFAM version, and the music is a complete joke! Namco should fall over and die for releasing such a lousy port.

I agree, DeJap’s translation of the game is a joke. I bought the PSX version of ToP, and it excels at nearly everything the original version was good at (save the instrument sets used on the music). There is also an ongoing fan translation of the PSX version of ToP underway, although progress is incredibly slow since there is very little experience from anyone in hacking Playstation games.
TheXev, you shouldn't forget that Dejap isn't making you pay for the translation so I guess you shouldn't even say such a thing.
As for the game, I found it a little too easy, even the last boss didn't give me any problem but it's still a great game with nice original fights ^^
Old 2004-03-21, 18:45   Link #12
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
TheXev, you shouldn't forget that Dejap isn't making you pay for the translation so I guess you shouldn't even say such a thing.
As for the game, I found it a little too easy, even the last boss didn't give me any problem but it's still a great game with nice original fights ^^

Why not? They released it to the public. We all know as fansubbers that we are all open to such things. And it is a joke when more than half the dejap translation is made up.
Old 2004-03-22, 00:44   Link #13
Thany
Unfair

I think you mistaken what I said : I said that there is no need to bash a translation group even if their work isn't perfect, they do it freely so you should be happy they do it ^^
Old 2004-03-22, 02:51   Link #14
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
I think you mistaken what I said : I said that there is no need to bash a translation group even if their work isn't perfect, they do it freely so you should be happy they do it ^^

I should be happy the made up a translation as they went along?
Old 2004-03-23, 02:12   Link #15
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
I should be happy the made up a translation as they went along?
No you shouldn't. However, do realize that the game translation community has a MUCH SMALLER translator pool than the fansub community, even several years ago. Games are generally harder to translate than anime since they are generally quite long and most of them do not have voices AND people have to look up all the kanji to create tables for them (unless it's a PC game, in which case this isn't usually the case). So basically, imagine the fansub community with a few good groups, a good number of wanna-bes, and about 5 active-duty translators to go around for everyone. Add in more whiny fanboys and you've got the scene about right I mean, digisubs were pretty terrible back in the early days too
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 14:34   Link #16
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Tales of Phantasia

How many of you have played this amazing RPG for the SNES? It was remade for Playstation, but it was a slightly different version. Anyway, I think this is one of the greatest of the golden age of RPGs, up there with FFVI and Chrono Trigger -- it would have been huge if it had hit the US during that period.

Dhaos, Cless, Chester, Arche, Klarth, Mint... really good stuff.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 15:07   Link #17
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
ToP IS the best RPG ever made. No wonders people still talk about it.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 16:48   Link #18
RichMan
????

Yeah I loved that game. I wish they made an american version of it for PSX.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 18:22   Link #19
Kaka
罪人クロノ

I should get the ps ver someday.....
but I still have ToD2 (not ToE.....) sitting in my drawer since I got it few weeks ago
gotta play ToD first >_<
Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 18:59   Link #20
daliinn

hah, i just started playing this game around the time this thread was created. pretty good so far but im having a little trouble learning the attack controls. is there a specific way to do air or uppercut moves or is it strictly random?
daliinn is offline   Reply With Quote