AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-06-14, 00:50   Link #1121
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
"Person from a parallel and/or alternate universe" would be a more accurate term. There's no connection with actual time travel.
In other words...the Seitenkan!
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 00:53   Link #1122
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A Slider would be someone from the same period of time, but an alternate universe (or dimesion). This generally implies that there is another one of you in another dimension that is the same age, but something different happened to them. This could also be a universe where you didn't exist, or existed in a different form. Thus if Kyonko traveled to Haruhi's world, she would be a slider.

Time Travel is generally considered to be the moving forward or backward within the same dimension. From Mikuru's statements it seems that time travelers cannot alter the past thus cannot themselves create alternate universes, thus cannot be sliders in and of themselves.
Old 2008-06-14, 00:53   Link #1123
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
. . . great, now for some reason, I want to see the "slider girl" from Volume 9 turn out to be Itsuko(would've said Kyonko, but it wouldn't be right to see her without a ponytail)...

*e* Thanks for explaining what I couldn't, Ithekro
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 00:59   Link #1124
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Oh...could this prove that the Seitenkan could be canon to Haruhi in anyway?
That would be freaky and amazing at the same time.

Spoiler for vol.9:

Haven't read vol.9 yet, so I don't know any of their names.
Old 2008-06-14, 01:02   Link #1125
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

ehh... no... they're just from opposing factions... the alpha story is the one with the "slider girl"
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2008-06-14, 01:06   Link #1126
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Well lets hope for it to be someone whose close to the SOS brigade but from another dimension...in other words, THE SEITENKAN!! (>_< I really want the Seitenkan to become canon in some way!)
Old 2008-06-14, 01:32   Link #1127
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever want to see the Seitenkan become canon. It would completely nerf all the work we've put into it.

It's completely a fan thing and doesn't work within the real plot anyway.

------

The difference between what sliders can do and what time travelers can do is simple: Sliders cannot cross time planes. They can only cross into timelines adjacent to themselves.

In addition, the world in Vol. 4 was not a different dimension, but an alternate timeline... for about 15 minutes on December 18th, it overwrote the real universe, which is something only the "Harupowers" can do, apparently. The other world, due to the awesomeness of temporal mechanics, never really happened. Sorta.

What we are seeing in Vol. 9 is a split universe, two timelines coexisting simultaneously. In other words, sliders could cross between them, and neither is replacing the other. Although, at the end of Vol. 10, I doubt that there will be more than one left...

Also, the sliders probably aren't from either dimension, but from another one entirely that split from "Haruhi Prime" back at the 3/4 years ago event.

The Dark Brigade has nothing to do with the sliders whatsoever, though it is interesting to note that Slider-tan's phone call in Alpha replaced Sasaki's in Beta... thus preventing Kyon from meeting the Dark Brigade and finding out what Sasaki really is. This will be important later.

The sliders, in other words, are another group entirely. Although they were mentioned by Haruhi way back in Vol. 1, they have delayed their appearance until her second year, for an as-of-yet unknown reason.

Again, Vol. 10 will probably answer our questions.

...Did any of that make sense?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 01:36   Link #1128
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The sliders, in other words, are another group entirely. Although they were mentioned by Haruhi way back in Vol. 1, they have delayed their appearance until her second year, for an as-of-yet unknown reason.
Simple, really... all the members were outside of the 15-18 age range in the first year.
Old 2008-06-14, 01:42   Link #1129
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Simple, really... all the members were outside of the 15-18 age range in the first year.
I doubt all the members are that young, but maybe the only young members weren't old enough?
Old 2008-06-14, 01:44   Link #1130
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I never said they were all too young, now did I?
Old 2008-06-14, 01:45   Link #1131
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I never said they were all too young, now did I?
Oh, right, I get it.
Old 2008-06-14, 01:47   Link #1132
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Of course... the question then is "Why didn't they have one of their members in the 25-35 age group pose as a teacher?"
Old 2008-06-14, 01:51   Link #1133
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Of course... the question then is "Why didn't they have one of their members in the 25-35 age group pose as a teacher?"
I don't think teachers can join the SOS Brigade...
Old 2008-06-14, 01:55   Link #1134
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Technically they should have an advisor or something to be an "official" club.
Old 2008-06-14, 01:55   Link #1135
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
Spoiler for more spoilers:

I don't think it was ever mentioned (maybe in the novels) but whats a Slider anyways?
Actually, Taniguchi, Kunikida, and Tsuruya are family names. Their given names are the ones we don't know.

If the discussion about sliders is still relevant: The translation "slider" comes from a '90s sci-fi series about a group of people stuck traveling between different realities, which diverged from each other at some point in the past (sometimes including fundamental laws of physics). It has absolutely nothing to do with time travel. It could also include universe that have no discernible point in their histories in common. If someone from our world somehow got the Haruhi's world, that would be an example of sliding.

Maybe Haruhi subconsciously summoned the sliders only when she realized that Mikuru would be leaving at the end of the year, and wanted something to make up for the loss.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 01:58   Link #1136
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Technically none of the groups(with the possible exception of the Organization) actually placed their members in the school to join the SOS Brigade... and knowing Haruhi, since she'd most likely force said teacher into sponsoring the Brigade, she'd probably also force him/her into active participation...
Old 2008-06-14, 02:01   Link #1137
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Technically they should have an advisor or something to be an "official" club.
Since when has Haruhi cared about rules? She's inherently chaotic.

Quote:
Technically none of the groups(with the possible exception of the Organization) actually placed their members in the school to join the SOS Brigade... and knowing Haruhi, since she'd most likely force said teacher into sponsoring the Brigade, she'd probably also force him/her into active participation...
How many of the major (named) characters so far are above high school age?

Let's see... The Lone Island gang and Big Mikuru? (And Big Fujiwara, if he shows up like I think he will. Heh.)

They send someone of Haruhi's age so that they can get close to her easier. That's why they didn't send a teacher.

Also, adding another female high school girl further increases the size of Kyon's harem, so win.
Old 2008-06-14, 02:07   Link #1138
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

True enough.
Old 2008-06-14, 02:08   Link #1139
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You know...technically they could replace Mikuru (small) when she leaves after graduation with Mikuru (Big) as their new teacher (and offical club sponsor). Haruhi might see through that, she might not (or she won't care as that would be impossible for her rational side to handle). Haruhi does seem to show proper respect to her elders when it is traditional. Though getting the larger Mikuru to cosplay might be amusing and more difficult since she is more mature and seems to have a position of power (so something).
Old 2008-06-14, 02:11   Link #1140
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
You know...technically they could replace Mikuru (small) when she leaves after graduation with Mikuru (Big) as their new teacher (and offical club sponsor). Haruhi might see through that, she might not (or she won't care as that would be impossible for her rational side to handle). Haruhi does seem to show proper respect to her elders when it is traditional. Though getting the larger Mikuru to cosplay might be amusing and more difficult since she is more mature and seems to have a position of power (so something).
You know, just because Little Mikuru is graduating does not mean that she's leaving the plot... just that neither she nor Tsuruya will be at the school anymore.

Or, you know, they could end up failing their third year on purpose.

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga