AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-02, 02:27   Link #121
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So we can assume that the manga people who have completely written this one off are going to drop the series after the first episode leaving only those interested in seeing the show as it is, right?

I'm glad at least orion seems to have picked up on what I'm getting at though. Obviously this was going to be an alternate retelling type adaptation, they probably struck a deal as such. If people are going to make a big issue out of it then by all means stick to the manga as it will be to everyone's best interests, just don't expect me to not have something to say or points to argue if people end up jumping to conclusions and engaging in more pointless studio hate.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-01-02 at 02:53.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 02:56   Link #122
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So we can assume that the manga people who have completely written this one off are going to drop the series after the first episode leaving only those interested in seeing the show as it is, right?
Why do you jump to conclusions?

At least for what concerns me, I just expressed my disappointment that certain things deviate from the manga (e.g. Keita, Akane, but most of all the target audience). This has nothing to do with watching or enjoying a show; it just means that sticking to the original would probably be better.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 03:23   Link #123
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Why do you jump to conclusions?

At least for what concerns me, I just expressed my disappointment that certain things deviate from the manga (e.g. Keita, Akane, but most of all the target audience). This has nothing to do with watching or enjoying a show; it just means that sticking to the original would probably be better.
Yes well hopefully it get's closer to the original story sooner on for the manga purists sake and I can certainly sympathize with why you are upset, but I just can't help but take offense to the fact that you really didn't do your research on Macross to know that it is not a Sunrise series and also the notion you presented that we usually get generic emo leads from Sunrise. Where did you get this idea from and why would you even add that to the point you are trying to make when it's not at all the case?

I'd hardly call Lelouch, Ben Barberry, Setsuna F. Seiei or Chirico Cuvie emo just to name a few recent examples, but then again I've also noted that the definition as to what constitutes emo seems to have gotten broader and broader with each passing anime season to the point where a character can simply express some discontent with a situation and they'll automatically be labelled emo.

Regardless, why didn't you just stick to the point about the manga being altered instead of trying to bring in all of that other stuff that was factually incorrect? You're point would have been airtight and retained it's opinion status and then there'd be nothing to dispute. That's really all I'm getting at here. It's one of my pet peeves when people make statements like the kind you and some others have made.
Old 2009-01-02, 03:39   Link #124
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
I'd hardly hold Mai-Hime and it's stock of generic characters up as the "usual" type we get from Sunrise, and Macross is a trademark of Studio Nue and Big West so I have no idea what your going on about there Malkuth, assorted non sequiturs aside. It helps to do your research before you talk about what is standard for something, especially when you end up being way off the mark otherwise.
I mixed up Gundam and Macross, though I do not see where is the actual difference considering the context. The bottom-line is that some companies finance/produce/animate shows like a production line aimed at mass consumption. My problem with this is that it significantly reduces diversity and the potential to get an original show.

Quote:
Yes well hopefully it get's closer to the original story sooner on for the manga purists sake and I can certainly sympathize with why you are upset, but I just can't help but take offense to the fact that you really didn't do your research on Macross to know that it is not a Sunrise series and also the notion you presented that we usually get generic emo leads from Sunrise. Where did you get this idea from and why would you even add that to the point you are trying to make when it's not at all the case?

I'd hardly call Lelouch, Ben Barberry, Setsuna F. Seiei or Chirico Cuvie emo just to name a few recent examples, but then again I've also noted that the definition as to what constitutes emo seems to have gotten broader and broader with each passing anime season to the point where a character can simply express some discontent with a situation and they'll automatically be labelled emo.
Sunrise X emo-male-leads:
1) "Lion-King"@Tales of the Abyss
2) Suzaku@Geass
3) "blond-guy"@Mai-Otome/Hime
4) the kid from Kekkaishi, though after ep.30+, he should have gotten over it
5) the whole damn cast of Bakumatsu
6) Zegapain, if memory serves, since I dropped it after a couple of episodes
7) does anyone remember Planetes ?!?!
8) or Witch Hunter Robin
9) Argento Soma, maybe?
10) But granted Spike@Bebop is the king of emo and angst-ing

Not to mention that I have not even watched half the shows Sunrise was involved in.

And specifically for what concerns Kurokami, I, as a lot of other people, liked some concepts and ideas that are uncommon at least for mainstream anime (thus the mention to Geass and Gundam, not Macross, since it's a "trademark of Studio Nue and Big West") ... replacing those with generic ones is rather disappointing.

Last edited by Malkuth; 2009-01-02 at 03:50.
Old 2009-01-02, 04:17   Link #125
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'm curious to see the reaction from Korea after it starts airing.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 05:27   Link #126
cristian

For the first ep. Great work sunrise, And i hope they keep going in this line of story telling development.
cristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 06:04   Link #127
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
I mixed up Gundam and Macross, though I do not see where is the actual difference considering the context. The bottom-line is that some companies finance/produce/animate shows like a production line aimed at mass consumption. My problem with this is that it significantly reduces diversity and the potential to get an original show.

Sunrise X emo-male-leads:
1) "Lion-King"@Tales of the Abyss
2) Suzaku@Geass
3) "blond-guy"@Mai-Otome/Hime
4) the kid from Kekkaishi, though after ep.30+, he should have gotten over it
5) the whole damn cast of Bakumatsu
6) Zegapain, if memory serves, since I dropped it after a couple of episodes
7) does anyone remember Planetes ?!?!
8) or Witch Hunter Robin
9) Argento Soma, maybe?
10) But granted Spike@Bebop is the king of emo and angst-ing

Not to mention that I have not even watched half the shows Sunrise was involved in.

And specifically for what concerns Kurokami, I, as a lot of other people, liked some concepts and ideas that are uncommon at least for mainstream anime (thus the mention to Geass and Gundam, not Macross, since it's a "trademark of Studio Nue and Big West") ... replacing those with generic ones is rather disappointing.
Okay, first of all Gundam and Macross are not the same thing. You've probably already freaked out just as many Macross and Gundam fans alike as it is. As for the character list:

1) No such character
2) More of an idealist, but this is the one your closest on that I know of
3) I need names not vague descriptions
4-5) Haven't seen them so I can't say whether or not it's the case
6) Way off on this one. Kyo is one of the most happy go lucky characters you'll find in a mecha series most of the time and borders on hot blooded too. And when he's not....well, if you ended up having to question the very fabric of reality as a means of survival then you'd be pretty out of it too.
7) Yes
8) Not even remotely close. And the lead character is a female by the way
9) Haven't seen it so can't say
10) Lol.....amusing

Again you go off about something you admittedly know little about and again I ask why?

Anyway, after watching the sub of this one I'd classify it as a slow start, though maybe that's just because I'm a little sleepy and had trouble paying attention. I really wouldn't describe Keita in this one as emo though. I know that if I lost my mother suddenly in an accident that I would have a hard time getting over it even it were years later. He seems to have nothing more then the expected mentality of someone who has suffered a great loss, especially since it seems he was close to her. Though I really didn't see him dragging everyone else down with it like a typical emo character does. In fact he even tried to defend Kuro from the baseball bat guy by hitting him with a chair, so he was actually quite brave in that regard. Sorry, but I'm just not seeing this generic emo character so much as one that needs to overcome his loss and move on. The mourning process is sometimes longer for some people though.

Anyway, aside from that I found I liked some of the music in the episode, but felt the character art could have used a lot of work. It kind of reminded me of Zegapain's style, it's just....well.....kind of generic. The animation itself was suitable though, especially during the fights. And one thing that did kind of surprise me is that the high school sequences weren't simply exploited for cliche harem style antics. The focus was kept on introducing Keita to the audience and later on to Kuro, which is the way it should be before they worry about putting the characters in any sort of silly situation at a school. Too many shows like to pile on the fanservice and antics before they bother to introduce the characters properly so this was quite refreshing in that regard even though apparently they aren't supposed to be in high school. Though if the change to a high school setting was made for the purposes of targetting a different audience then it didn't come across that way at all.

Overall I'd say the opener was above average as a first episode, about a 6.5/10 in my scoring system, but still kind of slow. This means I'm all the more of the opinion that one episode is just not enough to give this show a thumbs up or thumbs down yet and that I'll at least have to spend 3 or 4 more episodes with Kurokami before I decide if I want to keep it or not.
Old 2009-01-02, 06:13   Link #128
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I mixed up Gundam and Macross, though I do not see where is the actual difference considering the context.
Err... what?

Let me guess, you don't see an actually difference because you just think it's all giant robots killing each other?

Anyway this is pretty off-topic, and even if i can see why Kaioshin is acting the way he is, maybe he should just calm down a little bit. Don't want to be getting in trouble now just for defending Sunrise (when i still don't understand why people must hate on them first. Sigh.).
Old 2009-01-02, 06:51   Link #129
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
As an adaptation, Kurokami has changed too many things from the manga for my liking. The character and context itself of Keita; the relationship with Akane; Kuro's fighting style; the villain etc etc...

However, just taking it as itself (ignoring the presence of the manga), I suppose it's too early to call on this one. Episode one seems to be just a set-up of the context of doppel-liners. However, killing of Mayu this early takes away the potential drama latter on with Keita coming to grips with what Kuro's clan (Matsu something) do. Also does this mean...
Spoiler for maybe:
tzia_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 07:03   Link #130
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzia_n View Post
Spoiler for maybe:
No such thing. She's already in the character page of the main site.
Old 2009-01-02, 07:39   Link #131
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
That is hardly the case kaio as I don't see anyone in the thread going to that extreme even with the changes to the anime and being the manga reader myself, trust me when I say that a lot of the changes can be called superficial (minus keita's personality change for the better(?)). You assume too much there

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 07:56   Link #132
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Err... what?

Let me guess, you don't see an actually difference because you just think it's all giant robots killing each other?

Anyway this is pretty off-topic, and even if i can see why Kaioshin is acting the way he is, maybe he should just calm down a little bit. Don't want to be getting in trouble now just for defending Sunrise (when i still don't understand why people must hate on them first. Sigh.).
I dunno. Mixing up Macross and Gundam is worse than the 10 deadly sins in the Church of Macross punishable by death.

Quote:
But you've also hit the nail on the head. The concepts and ideas weren't mainstream, meaning it won't sell DVDs. So they tweaked it to make it more sellable so that they wouldn't go bankrupt. Sunrise has to survive and make a profit too.
Old 2009-01-02, 08:34   Link #133
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But you've also hit the nail on the head. The concepts and ideas weren't mainstream, meaning it won't sell DVDs. So they tweaked it to make it more sellable so that they wouldn't go bankrupt. Sunrise has to survive and make a profit too.
In regards to being a prick = not mainstream, how exactly is manga Keita different from Luke from Tales of the Abyss and Lelouch from Code Geass? Having those leads didn't exactly hurt the game and dvd sales for those did they heck from what I saw a lot of the appeal of Lelouch was that he was nothing like a typical gundam lead. Sunrise (or should I say Goro) went out on a limb there and it payed off, pity they didn't here.

It's annoying as fuck seeing people act like Manga Keita was the biggest asshole in the history of manga to justify this change, when he's no worse than Lelouch the lead character of one of the highest selling anime tv series in history from the same studio. Someone on psgels blog said he was worse than the lead from Linebarrels which is just no way near true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzia_n View Post
However, just taking it as itself (ignoring the presence of the manga), I suppose it's too early to call on this one. Episode one seems to be just a set-up of the context of doppel-liners. However, killing of Mayu this early takes away the potential drama latter on with Keita coming to grips with what Kuro's clan (Matsu something) do. Also does this mean...
Spoiler for maybe:
Clearly since impressionable young viewers can't handle manga Keita there's no way they would introduce that character in the same manner. ANd like DUo said she's on the website, here's her and Steiner's VA.

Yukari Tamura as Excel
Jouji Nakata as Steiner

Definitely good fits.

Last edited by Westlo; 2009-01-02 at 08:50.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 08:55   Link #134
Malkuth
Banned

wow, guys we are really getting off-topic here and it's partially my fault for starting it.

To sum it up, whether you agree or disagree, I am just saying that series that sell well and/or get a new season per year are usually called mainstream and they target different audiences than Kurokami.

I am not saying that Gundam and Macross are the same because robots kill eachother ... well to be sarcastic at least in Macross you get upbeat j-pop when they do

As for emo characters in Sunrise series, well this is my opinion. I am not trying to persuade anyone here. Actually, Planetes and Bebop are two of my favorite series, along with a lot of other emo/angst- series.

The adaption might prove better than the manga? Yes, it can! I never suggested the opposite, I just stated what I did not like in the first episode that was deviating from things that I loved in the manga. I am also pretty sure that the majority will disagree, hence mainstream and also drew a parallel to other series from the studio that fit in this description.
Old 2009-01-02, 09:02   Link #135
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I dunno. Mixing up Macross and Gundam is worse than the 10 deadly sins in the Church of Macross punishable by death.
I beg for absolution through the elevating power of j-pop ... yak, deculture!

Or my eyes will rot in the purgatory from watching 30+ years worth of mecha!
Old 2009-01-02, 16:56   Link #136
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep1:
Old 2009-01-02, 17:47   Link #137
Chase

I thought the episode was pretty good. Not much of anything i can say about the episode that hasnt been said(positively). I will continue to watch, i need something with Ga Rei Zero and Kannagi being done and currently only watching Bounen no Xamd, Gundam 00 and Soul Eater.
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 19:13   Link #138
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Well already I was this close dropping the whole series since sometimes it's following the manga a bit closely, because I can't stand emo's like Keita matter of fact this should be a down right thriller, as long it maintains a part in the manga and at least Keita won't go to his emo-side this show will definetly keep it's pace.
Old 2009-01-02, 21:32   Link #139
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Noooo its already licensed !

Just watch ep 1 :

[SPOILER="Wow a great anime , good action , the battle was amazing , kuro badass with her combo punch ahah !
Poor Risa and the little girl omg ! I thought Kuro was more scariest when i saw a cover , and i read the synopsis , it said keita will lost his arm between the fight but nothing
It's been a long time since i don't saw an anime who the character like Risa or the little girl dies
Have you noticed or you probably noticed that the name "Keita" is very popular lol
And The boy is a weakling , normal human , but courageous and have the right words to say
Instead of the girl is a badass as always , a human or not , but get problems and need help its very popular too
Good show i will follow it [/SPOILER]
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 02:32   Link #140
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
now i wonder how they'll introduce Excel and Steiner now that the loli is dead...
tzia_n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy, seinen, sunrise