AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Anime available on crunchyroll (legal) and fansub: What do you use?
Crunchyroll 14 24.14%
Fansub 44 75.86%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-01-21, 22:55   Link #1
bigsocce

Anime available on crunchyroll (legal) and fansub: What do you use?

For example, do you use crunchyroll to watch Naruto, Gintama, Natsume, SKip Beat (all legal and free) or do you download the fansub of Naruto, Gintama, Natsume, Skip Beat?

This is for anime that are BOTH available on crunchyroll and fansub only. You have the choice of choosing to watch it on crunchyroll or download a fansub instead.

And explain your reasoning for why you choose that option.

Last edited by bigsocce; 2009-01-25 at 09:27.
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 22:57   Link #2
einhorn303

If there's a legal way, I use the legal way. That's about all there is to it...fansubs are a replacement for a legitimate, artist-supporting release, not a viable option unto themselves.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-21, 23:56   Link #3
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

As for right now, Im not watching any of the shows offered by Chruncyroll. However if one of the shows i was watching was streamed legally by Crunchyroll, i would take that option.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 03:22   Link #4
npcomplete

You need another option: both
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 07:46   Link #5
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
Agree.

If fansub wouldnt be aviable for a certain anime, i would use crunchroll, if they have it in their database. Same goes the other way.

But well.. I prefer to download and then watch for better quality(HD, too).

So from 100 animes, i have watched, i watched only one, on Crunchroll.
Old 2009-01-22, 13:25   Link #6
Thingle
Banned

Fansubs. I like to keep an index... so when years pass by it can function as a mini-library.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 17:25   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Agreed... this is exactly why I often end up scribbling rants in the margins on surveys and polls. I may watch a show streaming legally AND keep a fansub copy. This is kind of theoretical so far because Crunchyroll does not seem to present the genres of anime I care for. Streaming is also an issue for anyone who has a transfer cap, especially if they tend to watch an episode more than once (reaches for streaming capture tool).

Anyone know how big a stream transfer is from a Crunchyroll episode? If its, says, 50MB/episode, I'd be much more interested to preview series than say, 220MB/episode. But then I'd want Crunchyroll to offer quality files or DVDs as well (for "keeper series").
Old 2009-01-22, 17:46   Link #8
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Fansub, because my anime club is screening the only show Crunchyroll does that I'm interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Streaming is also an issue for anyone who has a transfer cap, especially if they tend to watch an episode more than once (reaches for streaming capture tool).
To be fair, grabbing it off a torrent is probably even worse for bandwidth use because of the requirement to use both download and upload.

I love how my ISP's bandwidth use tracker doesn't seem to be able to pick up IRC transfers. Being able to use 500KB/s+ XDCC bots is nice.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-22, 18:44   Link #9
klowny
OH NO

Fansubs here, i have gotten use to downloading anime instead of watching it online and usually its better quality than whats being offered to view online. i like downloading from torrents
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 13:32   Link #10
tyrionlannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Fansub, because my anime club is screening the only show Crunchyroll does that I'm interested in.

To be fair, grabbing it off a torrent is probably even worse for bandwidth use because of the requirement to use both download and upload.

I love how my ISP's bandwidth use tracker doesn't seem to be able to pick up IRC transfers. Being able to use 500KB/s+ XDCC bots is nice.
The same here with my ISP, they throttle torrents but XDCC is fine.
If it's a series I'm interested in, I'll definitely get a fansub, preferably 720p, but I'd try an episode of something I'm not sure of on Crunchyroll.
tyrionlannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 06:52   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
why do we have so many discussions that are almost always the same o.o;
crunchyroll legal anime what do you think, anime streaming online do you watch them etc etc etc..
it is kind of annoying that my answer will always be the same, no I won't watch things on crunchy lol maybe a drama or a live action movie but no anime, why? cause I don't want to be stuck behind a computer to watch anime all day long or late at night, i have a divx dvd player and I intend on using it lol
and according to my country's law it is allowed to download movies, series etc. for personal use as long as you don't upload it yourself ROFL with a law like that why would i limit to Crunchyroll
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 10:06   Link #12
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I watch what is higher quality... which 99% of the time I find to be fansubs.

And downloaded episodes can still be watched without an internet connection.
Old 2009-01-24, 18:53   Link #13
Seifall

The majority of the videos in Crunchyroll is not even available in my region...
So fansub for learning english in a good quality , and streaming for the rest .
I wonder how people can watch anime in Crunchyroll in this quality and not for free even though there will always be a site or torrent which will provide them with their need.
So streaming sites and downloads but surely not Crunchyroll.
Seifall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 07:40   Link #14
Blacksmith_Tony

My preferences go as follows:

DVDs (or any physical media)->Legal downloads (not much available afaik)-> Legal streaming (even though I hate streaming really)->Fansub downloads->Fansub streams (never)

So I really dislike streaming, however I still prefer legal streaming over fansubs though. Fansubs of shows I can't get any other way are as far as my morals will let me go (not judging anyone else). It's funny that after DVDs, fansub downloads are still my most watched format though, simply because those have the shows I want to watch compared to the available legal streams.

Anyway so yes, my answer is if it's available (to me) on a legal streaming site, I'll watch it there instead of downloading the fansub.
Blacksmith_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 09:31   Link #15
bigsocce

Quote:
Both is not a good option because you either

Download the Naruto fansub and skip Naruto crunchyroll all together

or

Watch Naruto on crunchyroll and skip the fansub of Naruto

Just using Naruto Shippuden as an example.

Because I doubt many would download a fansub of Naruto Shippuden ep 93, watch it and then watch Naruto Shippuden ep 93 again on Crunchyroll.
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 15:17   Link #16
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsocce View Post
Both is not a good option because you either

Download the Naruto fansub and skip Naruto crunchyroll all together

or

Watch Naruto on crunchyroll and skip the fansub of Naruto

Just using Naruto Shippuden as an example.

Because I doubt many would download a fansub of Naruto Shippuden ep 93, watch it and then watch Naruto Shippuden ep 93 again on Crunchyroll.
You'd be suprised. I'm sure there are people out there who do just that, just as there are people who download the different groups subs of the same anime. Both would also cover people watching some series on crunchyroll and some with fansubs.
Old 2009-01-25, 15:33   Link #17
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Though I am not against streaming I prefer subs .The reason being its more convenient to me and also I hate increasing my flash buffer The only problems I have with streams is exclusivity ....
Old 2009-01-26, 02:49   Link #18
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
I'm going to go put myself on the "both" bandwagon and also add the option of buying legal DVDs. What I tend to do is take fansubs and store them into personal DVDs, but also buy DVDs of the same anime in order to give the anime companies some monetary support, especially in the given economy. Not that I ever actually open the legal DVDs, but at the very least, I'm not exactly just 100% robbing.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 05:25   Link #19
LordCalgar1984

If the anime I want to watch is available on Crunchyroll and not regionlocked, I will watch it there, but I would still download it, just for the sake of archiving.
LordCalgar1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 10:10   Link #20
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Raw/softsubbed fansub releases. Streaming is shithouse. Anime's only just started to properly go HD for more than one or two shows a year, and now they want to revert back to worse than VHS quality? No thanks. I watch all of my media on HD screens, and streams upscale to them (to watch fullscreen) very, very poorly. It's not a viable option. And that's just the start of it. I could rant about a lot more, but I won't. This is the primary reason for my clearcut choice.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote