AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-12, 10:41   Link #1
brigas

The man with the big eyes, the man with the big mouth

I should have made a deal with the devil, I shouldn't have made a deal with the devil.

What was the meaning of the story?
Old 2006-09-13, 19:38   Link #2
i0td

There didn't seem to me like there was any greater underlying meaning to the story other than illustrating to us viewers (1) how pessimistic Klaus Poppe's take on the world was at the time he authored this story and (2) more significantly, how getting involved with a devil monster (eg. Johan) can only lead to disaster no matter which route is attempted. I am interested in hearing any other takes on this story.
Old 2006-09-14, 09:38   Link #3
brigas

Hmmm... Maybe it means that no matter what human beings have, or do for that matter, they are never satisfied?
Old 2006-09-15, 20:19   Link #4
i0td

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigas
Hmmm... Maybe it means that no matter what human beings have, or do for that matter, they are never satisfied?
Perhaps, but other than tying in with the determination and dedication displayed by the characters, I don't see the interpretation fitting too well with the overall theme of the story.
Old 2006-09-15, 22:19   Link #5
Jewelray

Send a message via AIM to Jewelray
Quote:
Originally Posted by i0td
Perhaps, but other than tying in with the determination and dedication displayed by the characters, I don't see the interpretation fitting too well with the overall theme of the story.
As you said before, it shows how pessimistic Klaus Poppe's books were. The moral of the book is more or less "people are doomed to be unhappy and regretful" which is something that Poppe would think. This is something the show later tries to prove isn't true.
Old 2006-11-07, 12:42   Link #6
eris_sama

It's like the old saying "You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't."
His stories seem to show how little control/choice people have.
Old 2006-11-08, 06:18   Link #7
Cooldude

Grass is always greener on the other side

Although it's already mentioned that Bonaparta lets people make up their own morals in their storybooks, but all those morals are generally dark and depressing, or violent.
Closed Thread