AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-01-23, 14:06   Link #61
Blaat

-{A1}- [Best Storyline & Plot] Chihayafuru
-{A2}- [Best Visuals & Animation] Hyouka

-{B0}- [Best Action-Adventure] Fate/Zero
-{B1}- [Best Fantasy] Nastume Yuujinchou Shi
-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction] Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
-{B3}- [Best Horror] Another
-{B4}- [Best Mystery] Another
-{B5}- [Best Drama] Chihayafuru
-{B6}- [Best Romance] Ano Natsu de Matteru
-{B7}- [Best Comedy] Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
-{B8}- [Best Slice of Life] Tsuritama
-{B9}- [Best Sports] Chihayafuru

-{C1}- [Best TV Series] Chihayafuru
-{C2}- [Best OVA] Abstain.
-{C3}- [Best Movie] Hotarubi no Mori E

-{D1}- [Best Female Lead] Watashi (Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita)
-{D2}- [Best Male Lead] Taichi Mashima (Chihayafuru)
-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] Abstain.
-{D4}- [Best Side-Character] Satoshi Fukube (Hyouka)
-{D5}- [Best World Setting] Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
-{D6}- [Best Credits Theme] Sakamichi no Melody (by Yuki)
-{D7}- [Best Soundtrack] Sakamichi no Apollon
-{D8}- [Best Ongoing Series] Shin Sekai Yori
Old 2013-01-23, 14:23   Link #62
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I absolutely agree with what you guys wrote. It shouldn't surprise me to see anything Fate/Zero automatically be thought of as being of a higher quality, as that was a pretty great show (I loved it to pieces) ... but at the same time, I could not see how anyone could think of it as being the best that this year had to offer music-wise. Perhaps this is due to me being a Kajiura fan (and this is not her best work by even a long shot), and as someone who had heard a good chunk of the music from the Fate/franchise, so I am a bit harder to please, but even then it's hard to listen to the actual OST and think that it is the best when in reality it's closer to being decent in quality.
I tend to agree with this. With very few exceptions, I thought Kajiura was replaying her own clichés in this one. While the Fate/Zero soundtrack was more stable in quality, I preferred the work she did for Sword Art Online. The scene where Sugu/Leafa duelled Kirito is a perfect example, where it starts all drums and then segues effortlessly into a piano piece; not a mean feat that. (Of course, the soundtrack was rather sparse near the beginning, and it, too, has a lot of vanilla tracks. But it does have scene-enhancing creativity, which I didn't feel from Fate/Zero, which came across more as rule-book polish.)

My personal favourite soundtrack of the year was Hasegawa Tomoki's Nazo no Kanojo X. That soundtrack set the mood for the show and flowed very well with the dreamy images. It was a vital part of the show.

I haven't seen Horizon (haven't even finished season 1). And I can't remember Guilty Crown at all (but then I dropped it after 7 episodes).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 14:51   Link #63
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I don't really see most of my choices that aren't Fate/Zero winning either.
Chihayafuru seems to have a lot of supporters here as well. I'm also surprised by how many people have voted for Tsuritama in either, or both, of the storyline and best TV anime categories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque
AKB0048 ... to be honest, that is one of those shows that I enjoy watching but don't pay much attention to it.
My comments had more to do with the fanbase than with the quality of the show. I do think it could have contended in the visuals category, but a lot of people disliked Satelight's use of 3D, which I'll agree with quite variable in quality. The backgrounds by their group of French illustrators are brilliant, though. Those guys have a real eye for architectural design. I also thought AKB might have drawn a nomination for best ED.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 15:13   Link #64
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
-{A1}- [Best Storyline & Plot] Fate/Zero
-{A2}- [Best Visuals & Animation] Hyouka (Of the shows listed here, I feel that Hyouka provided the best combination of excellent animation and excellent artwork in general, including character designs. I don't consider it the best in either category, but it's in the top 3 in both, imo. There's no other 2012 anime show that I would say that about.)

-{B1}- [Best Fantasy] Sword Art Online (As critical as I've been of SAO, I think that it deserves some positive recognition for what it has accomplished. SAO is generally well-done "Fantasy" in every sense of the term. Yes, it's wish-fulfillment entertainment, but I would argue that a good Fantasy show tends to discover that which the audience longs for and wishes for and turns it into a fantastical narrative. SAO has its flaws, but for "Fantasy", I think it delivers nicely. Fate/Zero is definitely better overall, imo, but it's a much darker show, and that's not really what I look for in "Fantasy")

-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction] Accel World (two of its three competitors lost me over time, and while Jinrui did have some nice sci-fi elements, I never felt it was as consistently sci-fi as Accel World was. Accel World's world is rich, vibrant, and fully realized in many notable sci-fi elements. So it has my support in this category.)

-{B3}- [Best Horror] Another (As flawed as its ending may be, I did find the horror element of this show very compelling up until those last two episodes.)

-{B4}- [Best Mystery] Hyouka
-{B5}- [Best Drama] Tari Tari
-{B6}- [Best Romance] Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
-{B7}- [Best Comedy] Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
-{B8}- [Best Slice of Life] Tari Tari
-{B9}- [Best Sports] Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A

-{C1}- [Best TV Series] Fate/Zero (There were three anime shows in 2012 that had massive hype behind them - Nisemonogatari, Fate/Zero, and SAO. Of the three, Fate/Zero is the only one that more or less matched the hype, imo. Having extremely high viewer expectations is both a blessing, but also a challenge. For being the 2012 show that rose up to that challenge better than any other, Fate/Zero gets my vote here)

-{C2}- [Best OVA] One Off
-{C3}- [Best Movie] K-On! Movie

-{D1}- [Best Female Lead] Kuroyukihime (Accel World)
-{D2}- [Best Male Lead] Houtarou Oreki (Hyouka)
-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] Gilgamesh (Fate/Zero) (I usually don't like overpowered characters, be they heroes or villains. So the fact that I really liked Gilgamesh says a lot about him for me. Gilgamesh is a great theatrical villain with the power, style, and flare to match his scenery-chewing bravado. And let's not forget that Kirei would not be the villain he is if not for Gilgamesh)
-{D4}- [Best Side-Character] Satoshi Fukube (Hyouka) (I like Rider, but I think he won an award similar to this last year. Satoshi vs. Toki is tough for me, but Satoshi is the more multifaceted character I think)
-{D5}- [Best World Setting] Sword Art Online
-{D6}- [Best Credits Theme] To The Beginning (by Kalafina)
-{D7}- [Best Soundtrack] Guilty Crown (I thoroughly loved its soundtrack, and listened to much of it online. Fate/Zero has a few tracks I like, but I honestly feel that Kaijura's work here pales in comparison to her Tsubasa and Madoka work. I want Kaijura to step her game back up before she wins this award again.)
-{D8}- [Best Ongoing Series] Psycho-Pass (Very tight between this and Shin Sekai Yori for me. But I prefer Psycho-Pass ever so slightly because I find its commentary a bit clearer and more engaging. I get a sense that Shin Sekai Yori is trying to say something profound, but its not entirely clear to me what it is. With Psycho-Pass, I see superb social commentary that reminds me of Orwell's 1984.)
Old 2013-01-23, 15:41   Link #65
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
I tend to agree with this. With very few exceptions, I thought Kajiura was replaying her own clichés in this one. While the Fate/Zero soundtrack was more stable in quality, I preferred the work she did for Sword Art Online. The scene where Sugu/Leafa duelled Kirito is a perfect example, where it starts all drums and then segues effortlessly into a piano piece; not a mean feat that. (Of course, the soundtrack was rather sparse near the beginning, and it, too, has a lot of vanilla tracks. But it does have scene-enhancing creativity, which I didn't feel from Fate/Zero, which came across more as rule-book polish.)
I have yet to to listen to the Sword Art Online score separately, but I would tend to agree that it did sound better than F/Z. I will say that the reason why the music didn't impress at the beginning of the show had more to do with sound design in the show started off bad and managed to get better as the show went on, and by the end they had managed to get a good grip on it. Of course, there were tracks there that had a lot of power in there (as the scene you mentioned) so once they figure out how they could use them effectively, they manged to really shine.

I would agree that the Fate/Zero score was pretty by-the-rules, and as such it got around to being more boring than anything for me, even if it wasn't bad in anyone area, but it only shone in a few tracks and overall was merely there to add to the scenes in the show, rather than be a genuinely powerful instrumental score that I tend to expect from Kajiura. I hate to say it, but it really did seem like she was just taking a break with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
My personal favourite soundtrack of the year was Hasegawa Tomoki's Nazo no Kanojo X. That soundtrack set the mood for the show and flowed very well with the dreamy images. It was a vital part of the show.
That's actually a really nice score as well, even if it isn't my most favorite, but it certainly managed to fit the mood of the show very well. That and I honestly loved the sounds that anime had in general.

... I might need to change my vote for romance ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Chihayafuru seems to have a lot of supporters here as well. I'm also surprised by how many people have voted for Tsuritama in either, or both, of the storyline and best TV anime categories.
I would imagine that there is quite a large overlap between the two shows fanbases, at least here (I certainly notice a lot of the same people who loved them while they were airing mention to others to check the other out).

Quote:
My comments had more to do with the fanbase than with the quality of the show. I do think it could have contended in the visuals category, but a lot of people disliked Satelight's use of 3D, which I'll agree with quite variable in quality. The backgrounds by their group of French illustrators are brilliant, though. Those guys have a real eye for architectural design. I also thought AKB might have drawn a nomination for best ED.
I suppose then that it was the lack of organization? I remember how Cross Game managed to sweep the awards a few years back due to how much members made sure to participate and vote for it as much as they can, which managed to make it carry over and win in a lot of areas. Had the AKB fanbase done the same here, they might have gotten it at least a few nominations. Maybe next year we can get a few people to actually come here and represent it alongside Space Brothers :P

I agree with the visuals, especially the part about the backgrounds (I thought that was Satelight's and their French staff best effort in Ikoku Meiro no Croisée back when it was airing, and what made me fall in love with the show. They really have very strong signature for rich backdrops and backgrounds).

That said, I'm not sure it could've competed on quality, not when there where more visually innovative and/or aesthetically pleasing shows (I would personally place Lupin and Black Rock Shooter before I would with AKB) and it isn't exactly the most impressive looking anime around. It can be very clever with it's visuals and character designs, but even then it didn't exactly catch my eye due to these elements. Granted, none of those shows managed to even come close to being nominated so I guess there goes my argument ...
Old 2013-01-23, 15:43   Link #66
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
I absolutely agree with what you guys wrote. It shouldn't surprise me to see anything Fate/Zero automatically be thought of as being of a higher quality, as that was a pretty great show (I loved it to pieces) ... but at the same time, I could not see how anyone could think of it as being the best that this year had to offer music-wise. Perhaps this is due to me being a Kajiura fan (and this is not her best work by even a long shot), and as someone who had heard a good chunk of the music from the Fate/franchise, so I am a bit harder to please, but even then it's hard to listen to the actual OST and think that it is the best when in reality it's closer to being decent in quality.
I think it's mostly a case of being a more prolific show with a good soundtrack rather than the sound track just being necessarily more amazing. Horizon is not as prolific on these boards, and well Guilty Crown is its own undoing by being a show few people want to give accolades to. I personally thought sound track wise that Jormungand was better than any of these nominees. Accel World had a nice one too. E7 AO had a good one (even if the show was absolutely horrid).

In any case I thought the F/Z OST lacked the impact that some might expect because a lot of the tracks blend together. However, individually on the OST, I found there are a surprisingly amount of distinct and stand out tracks. Just they didn't see as much air time on screen due to most of the show having talking more than action.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 16:03   Link #67
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I think it's mostly a case of being a more prolific show with a good soundtrack rather than the sound track just being necessarily more amazing. Horizon is not as prolific on these boards, and well Guilty Crown is its own undoing by being a show few people want to give accolades to. I personally thought sound track wise that Jormungand was better than any of these nominees. Accel World had a nice one too. E7 AO had a good one (even if the show was absolutely horrid).
I would say that the most noticeable quality about the Accel World score was its diversity, which is pretty logical since it had 3 people working on it, but yeah that one was pretty nice, so was E7AO's score as well.

Of course, as is you mentioned, the more prolific shows that have an advantage, even if they don't have the quality to back up. I do think that out of all the picks, Horizon's OST is the best when you listen to it on it's own (followed by Kids on the Slope and Guilty Crown) but even then, I doubt it can match the label of current-Kajiura.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
In any case I thought the F/Z OST lacked the impact that some might expect because a lot of the tracks blend together. However, individually on the OST, I found there are a surprisingly amount of distinct and stand out tracks. Just they didn't see as much air time on screen due to most of the show having talking more than action.
I'd say that there were a few tracks that had a really unique and memorable presence among very bland ones, and that a lot of them seem to derive their impact from the scenes in the show rather than being able to stand on their own. Which is where the audio really shined in F/Z, and that was accurate usage of music and general sound design.

Still, its not a bad OST, just very much not the ''best'' of the year.
Old 2013-01-23, 16:56   Link #68
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Well, that may be the case but if either of those shows happen to beat out Fate/Zero, the only thing that really changes in my statement is that instead none of my picks are likely to win, since I didn't vote for those in any category either. It does actually seem that my pick of Another is currently on pace to win Best Horror, though I wonder if that may be due to it being the only show in that category people have seen or consider to actually be horror, as the hate base for it here seemed very large and vocal at one point.

I really need to get back to Chihayafuru though. I started it but then it got lost in the shuffle last year and I completely forgot about it. Really liked what I saw up till that point though.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 17:01   Link #69
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I've actually been listening to the Fate/Zero tracks even now and there are quite a few that I really do like so I disagree with the overrated sentiment. I don't think it's the best of the year (That title, imo, goes a soundtrack that didn't even make the cut - E7:AO), nor do I think it's Kaijura's best, nor do I think Kaijura always does great (I thought the Sword Art Online soundtrack was just a mix of Fate/Zero rejects). But I do think it's among the best of the year.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 18:10   Link #70
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I would personally place Lupin and Black Rock Shooter before I would with AKB
I nominated Lupin III/Mine Fujiko for the visuals category because it was so distinctive. They took a classic art style and updated it with modern tools and sensibilities. I would have nominated Fujiko herself in the best female character category had I liked her more. I found it hard to empathize with any of the characters, which is usually a threshold criterion for me to enjoy a show.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 18:44   Link #71
Scab
Saizen
*Fansubber

-{B1}- [Best Fantasy] Fate/Zero
-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction] Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
-{B5}- [Best Drama] Sakamichi no Apollon
-{B6}- [Best Romance] Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
-{B8}- [Best Slice of Life] Hyouka

-{C1}- [Best TV Series] Fate/Zero
-{C2}- [Best OVA]

-{D1}- [Best Female Lead] Chihaya Ayase (Chihayafuru)
-{D2}- [Best Male Lead] Kiritsugu Emiya (Fate/Zero)
-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] Kotomine Kirei (Fate/Zero)
-{D4}- [Best Side-Character] Asako Natsume (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun)
-{D5}- [Best World Setting] Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
-{D7}- [Best Soundtrack] Fate/Zero
Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 03:40   Link #72
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

-{B1}- [Best Fantasy] Sword Art Online
-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction] Accel World
-{B5}- [Best Drama] Chihayafuru
-{B7}- [Best Comedy] Yuru Yuri♪♪

-{C2}- [Best OVA] A-Channel: A-Channel+smile

-{D1}- [Best Female Lead] Shizuku Mizutani (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun)
-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] Kotomine Kirei (Fate/Zero)
-{D6}- [Best Credits Theme] Sakamichi no Melody (by Yuki)
-{D7}- [Best Soundtrack] Guilty Crown
-{D8}- [Best Ongoing Series] Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Old 2013-01-24, 13:52   Link #73
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Easy choice. Fate/Zero's story had me gripping in the edge of my seat from beginning to end.

Fate/Zero was the biggest contest here and there's even Nisemonogatari to boot. Hyouka just blows everything out of the water though in terms of creativity in its animation (and just how visually stunning it is).

I actually didn't want to vote on this. Fate/Zero as an action series? Definitely. As an adventure one? Nope. Why splice these two together anyway?

-{B1}- [Best Fantasy] Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

Again, I didn't really wanna vote on this since none of the titles really gave out the true meaning of fantasy.

-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction] Mouretsu Pirates

Mouretsu Pirates is one of the BEST science fiction series that I've seen in a while. It definitely deserves to win this award.

Another was technically the only horror series of the year. Mirai Nikki is scary but that's just because Yuno's so twisted. Another was pure horror from start to finish.

Another may be a pure horror series, but it was also a pure mystery in another sense. The search on who the extra student was was really intriguing to watch and how everything came together was really great.

Sakamichi may have overdone the drama towards the end but it doesn't defeat the fact that it managed to cram all that drama in 12 episodes and make it that amazing.

-{B6}- [Best Romance] Nazo no Kanojo X

I feel terrible on not voting for Tonari but Nazo no Kanojo X deserves this. It's a real unique gem that focuses on the relationship part of a romance rather than the pursuing.

Nothing made me laugh as much as this in 2012.

-{B8}- [Best Slice of Life] Hyouka

A festival arc that goes on for 6-7 episodes and never becomes boring despite how mundane everything is? Hyouka wins this award hands down.

This is a surprisingly harder choice than I imagined. Saki Achiga actually made me play mahjong which is the end goal for most sports series. Too bad there's Chihayafuru this year.

It really is the best of 2012.

-{C2}- [Best OVA]

-{C3}- [Best Movie]

I can't vote for OVAs and Movies since I didn't watch enough to actually vote for one.

-{D1}- [Best Female Lead] Shizuku Mizutani

Best Shojo lead in years. Headstrong, dedicated, yet surprisingly vulnerable in many ways, Shizuku really becomes a female character that you somehow idolize. I initially voted for Chihaya but I really feel guilty for not nominating Tonari in any other category despite being one of the best series this year. Plus I do like Shizuku as much as Chihaya.

-{D2}- [Best Male Lead] Houtarou Oreki

There wasn't much competition for this. Oreki is a damn great main character and his characterization is just wonderful and down-to-earth.

-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] Yuno Gasai

Yuno is evil and crazy and she totally deserves this spot.

-{D4}- [Best Side-Character] Satoshi Fukube

This is surprisingly the hardest category to vote on since I rather love all 4 characters. Satoshi won out because of, like what I said with Oreki, his really amazing characterization. Natsume, Rider, and Toki are all amazing characters too but I only had to pick one sooo. . .

I hated Sword Art Online but if there's one thing it wins merits for then it's on how it managed to really build an RPG world that you can live in and how detailed that world is.

-{D6}- [Best Credits Theme] Yume no Naka no Watashi

-{D8}- [Best Ongoing Series] Psycho-Pass

Last edited by ahelo; 2013-02-02 at 21:22.
ahelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 16:59   Link #74
Belial13

-{A2}- [Best Visuals & Animation] Fate/Zero

-{B0}- [Best Action-Adventure] Jormungand
-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction]
-{B3}- [Best Horror] Mirai Nikki (TV)
-{B5}- [Best Drama]
-{B6}- [Best Romance]
-{B7}- [Best Comedy]
-{B8}- [Best Slice of Life]
-{B9}- [Best Sports]

-{C2}- [Best OVA]
-{C3}- [Best Movie]

-{D1}- [Best Female Lead]
-{D2}- [Best Male Lead] Kiritsugu Emiya (Fate/Zero)
-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] Yuno Gasai (Mirai Nikki (TV))
-{D4}- [Best Side-Character] Rider (Fate/Zero)
-{D5}- [Best World Setting]
-{D6}- [Best Credits Theme] Kuusou Mesorogiwi (by Yousei Teikoku)
-{D7}- [Best Soundtrack]
-{D8}-[Best Ongoing Series] Shin Sekai Yori
Belial13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 14:36   Link #75
PowerHouse1234

-{A1}- [Best Storyline & Plot] - Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon
-{A2}- [Best Visuals & Animation] - Hyouka

-{B0}- [Best Action-Adventure] - Jormungand
-{B1}- [Best Fantasy] - Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction] - Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon
-{B3}- [Best Horror] - Another
-{B4}- [Best Mystery] - Hyouka
-{B5}- [Best Drama] - Sakamichi no Apollon
-{B6}- [Best Romance] -
-{B7}- [Best Comedy] - Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
-{B8}- [Best Slice of Life] - Hyouka
-{B9}- [Best Sports] - Chihayafuru

-{C1}- [Best TV Series] - Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon
-{C2}- [Best OVA] -
-{C3}- [Best Movie] - K-On! Movie

-{D1}- [Best Female Lead] - Watashi (Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita)
-{D2}- [Best Male Lead] - Kiritsugu Emiya (Fate/Zero)
-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] - Yuno Gasai (Mirai Nikki (TV))
-{D4}- [Best Side-Character] - Rider (Fate/Zero)
-{D5}- [Best World Setting] - Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon
-{D6}- [Best Credits Theme]
-{D7}- [Best Soundtrack] - Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon
-{D8}- [Best Ongoing Series] - Shin Sekai Yori
PowerHouse1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 18:09   Link #76
Echoes

I've not seen Fate/Zero as of yet, and that might've very well taken the spot in this category, but as it stands, Chihayafuru gets it, and I'm perfectly fine with that. The plot itself might not be groundbreaking, but it's executed in such a spectacular manner that it's hard to level any sort of complaint against it.

-{A2}- [Best Visuals & Animation]
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

A bit of a toss-up between Hyouka and Chuunibyou in this one for me. Again, I've not seen Fate/Zero. Both Hyouka and Chuunibyou look absolutely gorgeous to me, so I ended up giving it to the show which ultimately resonated more with me personally. Great nominees all around in this one!

-{B0}- [Best Action-Adventure] Mirai Nikki

Mirai Nikki is a series whose genres are hard to nail down, but it's easily my favorite of the bunch in this category, so it gets a resounding vote from me!

-{B1}- [Best Fantasy] Sword Art Online

Easy choice. Sword Art Online is exactly what I want out of a fantasy title, and it was a ton of fun to sit through; despite its flaws. To be fair, I've not seen either Jinrui or Fate/Zero, so my vote here shouldn't be given too much credence.

-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction]

Abstaining from this one. Didn't like Accel World, didn't see Jinrui, and though I had fun with both Mouretsu Pirates and Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon, I don't think either are "best of" material.

-{B3}- [Best Horror] Gyo

Oh man! Hardest one yet. I liked every single entry on this list a lot. Mirai Nikki is easily my favorite entry out of the bunch, but it isn't consistently a horror title. Tasogare Otome Amnesia is great, but *never* even close to scary; it's more horror-themed than an actual horror series. While I liked Another a lot, I'm going to go with Gyo for this one. Perfect length, engaging and original plot, and the surreal, dream-like atmosphere it goes for by the end really stuck with me. It's the only one on the list I've rewatched, and these kinds of short OVAs are something I'd really like to see more of. Great artistry as well.

The mysteries in the show were inconsistent in how interesting and/or clever they were, but the show itself was engaging all the way through, and I think it's easily the most appropriate winner of this category. The theme was mysteries, and it managed to stay with that theme without feeling contrived at all.

-{B5}- [Best Drama]
Sakamichi no Apollon

Tough one. Hard to decide between Chihayafuru and Sakamichi. I came down on the side of Sakamichi despite thinking that Chihayafuru is the better show overall. Sakamichi's drama is the core of the show, while Chihayafuru is more of a mixed bag of goodies.

-{B6}- [Best Romance]
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

Ano Natsu makes a praiseworthy effort for this title, but the romance in Chuunibyou ultimately moved me more. There were a lot of good romances this year; Sukitte II na yo is a notable exception from the nomination list, but they're all good choices.

-{B7}- [Best Comedy] Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

Easy choice, although Yuru Yuri is another fantastic candidate. Chuunibyou's comedy is the freshest and most consistently funny I've seen in years. And last year was a fantastic year for comedy in itself!

-{B8}- [Best Slice of Life]
Hyouka

Hyouka's slice of life moments are closer to what I would call "light drama", but semantics aside, the day-to-day lives of these characters and the character development which it resulted in was a thing of beauty to behold. The characters ended up being surprisingly deep, which made finishing the series very rewarding.

No contest.

Hyouka is a strong contender, but again, Chihayafuru is a step above.

-{C2}- [Best OVA]

Abstaining. I've either not seen, or not liked, each of the nominees.

-{C3}- [Best Movie] Fullmetal Alchemist: Milos no Seinaru Hoshi

Four excellent choices once again. I'd be fine with any of them winning, but I had the most fun with good ol' FMA.

-{D1}- [Best Female Lead]
Chihaya Ayase

It's almost impossible to dislike Chihaya. She has such a magnetic personality, and her adorable antics coupled with a strong, go-getter attitude makes her a force to be reckoned with.

-{D2}- [Best Male Lead] Takashi Natsume

Damn. This one might just take the cake when it comes to difficult choices. They're all great guys that make their respective shows a ton of fun to watch. I don't quite know why I ended up going with Natsume. I guess there's just something about his tranquil gentleness and kind, courageous personality that really makes him memorable. He's able to be completely and utterly kind and friendly, despite his past, and without seeming either unrealistic or boring. That's impressive to me.

-{D3}- [Best Antagonist]
Yuno Gasai

I absolutely love Yuno, and I'd vote for her in anything.

-{D4}- [Best Side-Character]
Satoshi Fukube

Fukube seemed like a quirky, slightly annoying side-kick at the series' inception, but showed more depth over time and ended up being an incredibly compelling and interesting character by the series' end. I love it when a character can prove me wrong along the way.

The setting is what I think sold a lot of people on Sword Art Online to begin with, and I still think that it was an incredibly good idea for a series. Then again, I'm one of those crazy people who liked .Hack/Sign.

-{D6}- [Best Credits Theme]
Kuusou Mesorogiwi

All good choices, but Kuusou Mesorogiwi is the runaway favorite for me. I've listened to it dozens of times, and it always evokes the same sense of an awesome and despair-filled struggle for survival.

Not seeing Fate/Zero is really coming back to bite me in the rear, but I'll happily vote for Sakamichi regardless. A very nice and chill soundtrack which I listened to quite a bit outside of watching the series as well.

-{D8}- [Best Ongoing Series] JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure (2012)

Despite loving Shin Sekai Yori and enjoying Psycho-Pass quite a bit, this is still the easiest choice ever. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure almost defies description. It's like nothing I've ever seen before, in *all* the right ways.

I thought Hellsing Ultimate was the zenith of over-the-top badassery. I was wrong.
Old 2013-01-26, 17:35   Link #77
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

-{A1}- [Best Storyline & Plot] - Fate/Zero

-{A2}- [Best Visuals & Animation] - Fate/Zero

-{B0}- [Best Action-Adventure] - Fate/Zero

-{B1}- [Best Fantasy] - Sword Art Online

-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction] - Accel World

-{B3}- [Best Horror] - Mirai Nikki (TV)

-{B4}- [Best Mystery] - Another

-{B5}- [Best Drama] - Kokoro Connect

-{B6}- [Best Romance] - Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

-{B7}- [Best Comedy] - Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

-{B8}- [Best Slice of Life] - Tari Tari

-{B9}- [Best Sports] - Chihayafuru

-{C1}- [Best TV Series] - Fate/Zero

-{C2}- [Best OVA] - Code Geass: Nunnaly in Wonderland

-{C3}- [Best Movie] - Fullmetal Alchemist: Milos no Seinaru Hoshi

-{D1}- [Best Female Lead] - Kuroyukihime

-{D2}- [Best Male Lead] - Kiritsugu Emiya

-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] - Yuno Gasai

-{D4}- [Best Side-Character] - Rider

-{D5}- [Best World Setting] - Sword Art Online

-{D6}- [Best Credits Theme] - Kuusou Mesorogiwi

-{D7}- [Best Soundtrack] - Fate/Zero

-{D8}- [Best Ongoing Series] - Shin Sekai Yori
Old 2013-01-27, 06:47   Link #78
Ridwan

-{A1}- [Best Storyline & Plot] - Fate/Zero

-{A2}- [Best Visuals & Animation] - Hyouka

-{B0}- [Best Action-Adventure] - Jormungand

-{B1}- [Best Fantasy] - Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction] - Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon

-{B3}- [Best Horror] - Another

-{B4}- [Best Mystery] - Hyouka

-{B5}- [Best Drama] - Kokoro Connect

-{B6}- [Best Romance] - Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

-{B7}- [Best Comedy] - Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou

-{B8}- [Best Slice of Life] - Hyouka

-{B9}- [Best Sports] - Tsuritama

-{C1}- [Best TV Series] - Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon

-{C2}- [Best OVA] - Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san

-{C3}- [Best Movie] - K-On! Movie

-{D1}- [Best Female Lead] - Watashi (Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita)

-{D2}- [Best Male Lead] - Houtarou Oreki (Hyouka)

-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] - Kotomine Kirei (Fate/Zero)

-{D4}- [Best Side-Character] - Rider (Fate/Zero)

-{D5}- [Best World Setting] - Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon

-{D6}- [Best Credits Theme] - Sakamichi no Melody (by Yuki)

-{D7}- [Best Soundtrack] - Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon

-{D8}- [Best Ongoing Series] - Psycho-Pass
Old 2013-01-27, 08:48   Link #79
Dextro
He Without a Title

-{A1}- [Best Storyline & Plot] Tsuritama

-{B0}- [Best Action-Adventure] Mirai Nikki (TV)
-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction] Moretsu Pirates
-{B3}- [Best Horror] Gyo
-{B7}- [Best Comedy] Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

-{C1}- [Best TV Series] Hyouka
-{C2}- [Best OVA] One Off

-{D1}- [Best Female Lead] Chihaya Ayase (Chihayafuru)
-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] Yuno Gasai (Mirai Nikki (TV))
-{D7}- [Best Soundtrack] Guilty Crown
Old 2013-01-27, 09:28   Link #80
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

-{A2}- [Best Visuals & Animation] Fate/Zero (Dogfight scenes and the Saber + Rider chase is really awesome, watching F/z looks like watching a movie)
-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction] Accel World
-{B3}- [Best Horror]---
-{B4}- [Best Mystery]---
-{B5}- [Best Drama]---
-{B6}- [Best Romance] Ano Natsu de Matteru (though Tonari is much better, the downside of that one is that it doesn't ended that well, and the pros of AnoNatsu is the ending of each episode made me irritated waiting for the next one ... )
-{B7}- [Best Comedy] Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou (Chuunibyou made me laugh as well but seeing boys instead of the usual girl groups is kinda refreshing)
-{B9}- [Best Sports] ---
-{C2}- [Best OVA]---
-{C3}- [Best Movie]---
-{D1}- [Best Female Lead] Shizuku Mizutani (no contest here, it reminds me of one of my fave char before Yuki from Kare Kano)
-{D2}- [Best Male Lead] Kiritsugu Emiya
-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] Kotomine Kirei
-{D4}- [Best Side-Character] Rider
-{D5}- [Best World Setting] Sword Art Online (Very nice settings specially for those who loved mmorpg's, it will tell you that someday I hope there will be a VR game like this [but not with the die in the game + reality stuff ])
-{D6}- [Best Credits Theme] To The Beginning (To be honest I like the ending song of F/Z more.)
-{D7}- [Best Soundtrack] Fate/Zero
-{D8}- [Best Ongoing Series] ---
Shiro
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Last edited by Patchy; 2013-02-04 at 09:08.
Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choice awards