Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-17, 10:04   Link #81
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
there's clearly more to this girl than meets the eye.
Here's what the opening has to say about it

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-03-17, 10:40   Link #82
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 10:43   Link #83
garbage

izumiko suzuhara is cute, don't mind her at all, saori hayami as VA is good too.
the main guy is really annoying, well i guess they meant it to be that way at the start but would later turn good, but don't really like that kind of story development & it's kinda cliche.

pretty interesting build up at the start, loved her way of videoconferencing, way to go full immersion experience

seems she has power over gadgets or is it information structures, hence the title.

anyway it's PAW so i'll be watching this, besides i like fantasy

hey shouldn't this be transferred to Current?
Old 2013-03-17, 11:56   Link #84
Amoiro Nguyen
lazy onee-sama

This looks interesting. The mystery of her power, the shrine's tradition and the way Izumiko and the jerky boy are going to handle their situation. Of course they are going to get along well after some time and begin loving each other.

The first episode is always a little slow, but I think it was well done, the characters were introduced, Izumiko's power was shown and the whole episode had an eerie feeling to it. Looks like it's goping to be one great anime.

I'll be following it, I have a liking for mysteries. ^_^
Old 2013-03-17, 12:13   Link #85
musouka

Maybe I'm just used to Ogiwara's works, but I thought both of the leads were fine and intriguing. The inability of people in this thread to at least try to understand both of their situations is, frankly, baffling to me.

On the one hand, you have people saying the exact same thing as Miyuki about Izumiko, but then going on to criticize him as an irredeemable jerk in the same breath. I don't know about you, but I'd feel pretty miserable if my own dad made it clear that my two choices were protecting someone I found morally repulsive or he would kill me.

And on the other hand, Izumiko has obviously been raised unthinking and extremely sheltered. She barely manages to gain the courage to do something like add bangs to her hairstyle--which, when anyone points them out, she covers up like a naughty child try to hide a treat she filched--and people are expecting her to hold her own in arguments with someone that's at least ten times more socially adept than she is?
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 16:04   Link #86
garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
On the one hand, you have people saying the exact same thing as Miyuki about Izumiko, but then going on to criticize him as an irredeemable jerk in the same breath. I don't know about you, but I'd feel pretty miserable if my own dad made it clear that my two choices were protecting someone I found morally repulsive or he would kill me.
I wonder though about your choice of words here because I haven't really seen anything morally repulsive about Izumiko. In fact I don't see anything wrong with her aside from her super shyness, & social awkwardness brought about by her guardians being over-protective.

I do understand Miyuki's situation & it's really disheartening how his father would beat him up like that, but then why would he put all the blame AND vehemence on her? In fact coming from the same family he should understand better where she's coming from, and why she's like that, she has as much choice in life at that point as he does. that's what I find annoying about him.

Another is the fact that annoying bad boy turned good guy/love interest is one of my lesser liked story progression, because most of the time it feels forced, but that's a meta reason.
Old 2013-03-17, 16:10   Link #87
Kirarakim

I find the main female character's traits annoying & cliche but I don't see what is morally repulsive about her.

And yes the main male character is a jerk who treats the main girl like crap for no good reason. The way he treated her in this episode is despicable. She didnt force him in that situation so there is no justification how he treated her.

I am not defending the boy's father but again what his father did also has nothing to do with the main female character. She is a human being, he doesn't have to like her but he can at least show her respect.
Old 2013-03-17, 17:21   Link #88
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

I heard about this, so I decided to give it a watch. Animation and music were pretty good, it had that mysterious and esoteric feel that I like, and the plot, while a bit cliche, is interesting to me. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Yes, anyone would feel bad if their dad treated them like that, but that doesn't give him an excuse to be so rude and antagonistic to her.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.

Last edited by Endscape; 2013-03-17 at 18:00.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 17:36   Link #89
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Spoiler:
Maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that the setting is basically the good old "cute girl who is terminally shy + cute boy who is a jerk to said girl" that we've seen about a million times before. I'm not saying it's inherently bad, but it's a cliché, and one that I personally don't find interesting unless there's a twist in it. (The voice acting so far doesn't help.)

And while I know nothing about the story, going by the opening I predict the good old "coming of age story where both end up changing for the better due to the other's influence, also they'll fall in love with each other." Of course I could be mistaken.

Now, even with this, the other elements of the setting seem pretty interesting so I'm sure I'll stick with this show for a while, but I expected something less, well, clichéd.

As for Miyuki, I can only agree with those who said that yes, I understand how bad his situation is, but that doesn't justify him taking his frustration out on Izumiko. Of course, characters like Miyuki always turn out to have a heart of gold deep down, plus an angsty past that explain why they're being jerks, but I'm really kind of tired of characters of this type.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 17:53   Link #90
HandofFate

Premise is pretty generic, but interested in the explanation/history of the family clans and what their duty is in this small town in the hicks, so will be giving it at least a few episodes.

1st episode really didn't do anything other than "well here are our characters"

The va for the main girl is good.
Old 2013-03-17, 18:06   Link #91
Dextro
He Without a Title

There's something that bothers me a bit and it's the negative connotation the word Cliché has acquired. Clichés are Clichés for a reason and that's mostly because they work. The only difference between good and bad usages of them is the execution.

That said I can say that the show made a pretty effective job at making me actively dislike Miyuki and I already know that, if Izumiko doesn't grow a bit soon it's going to start annoying me quite a bit but I still have faith that the show is going to make the best of the characters and provide us with a decent coming of age story for them.
Old 2013-03-17, 18:21   Link #92
sikvod00

Describing a show as cliche definitely has a negative connotation, even when that may not necessarily be the case. But if you don't like a particular cliche or are just tired of seeing the thousandth iteration of it, it may not even matter if it's well executed or not. That's already a mark against the show in your eyes. It's entirely about personal preference\taste and what elements pushes your buttons. Likewise, I've seen many people write that they love an anime despite it being cliche, because they love the cliche itself and it happens to be written well. Different strokes for different folks.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 18:26   Link #93
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
I wonder though about your choice of words here because I haven't really seen anything morally repulsive about Izumiko.
I, personally, don't think there's anything morally repulsive about Izumiko either. Miyuki, on the other hand, obviously feels very strongly about Izumiko's passivity, to the point of finding it actually offensive. If I was THAT offended by passivity, the idea of my life existing to "serve" someone like that would be equally offensive. That's what I mean by "morally repulsive".

Whether or not you agree with his feelings about Izumiko is beside the point--he's not being given a choice in the matter, and seeing her giving lip service to "wanting to change things" while his own father just beat the shit out of him for trying to make his own decisions--exactly what she claims to want to do--must rub an extra dose of salt in the wound.

In no way am I defending his actions towards her, the way he talks to her, or his outright bullying her as a child. I just think, purely from the standpoint of characterization, he makes sense as a character, and I'm looking forward to where things go from here.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 18:50   Link #94
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Miyuki does find the system that Izumiko represents morally repulsive, it seems - a system where status and power are conferred based on birth rather than merit.

I certainly won't defend the way he treats her for something that really isn't her fault, but it seems disproportionate (though quite typical) that he should receive a flood of criticism for rudeness while the Yamabushi character gets a trickle for child abuse. The two are by no means morally comparable as far as I'm concerned.

The other thing I'll say about that is that I noticed Miyuki called his father by his given name, which at least suggests a small chance that the father-son relationship may be a front.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 20:07   Link #95
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Izumiko didn't bother me, just a shy kid who gets picked on. Nothing to annoy me there. If you do find shyness annoying, chances are you're an arrogant blowhard a la Miyuki.
Haha, you're a cool guy.

I don't find Izumiko's mousy personality annoying, and I'd probably be the world's biggest hypocrite if I did; I almost never spoke a single word during the entirety of middle school and high school besides saying 'here' during roll call.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 20:13   Link #96
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

I like the story of this animation, but the characters themselves have made me a little weary about this anime. Of course it's only the first episode, they'll probably grow on me, but the anime didn't really spark my interest when it came to the characters.

If not for the plot, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this episode as much. I also like the animation
Old 2013-03-17, 20:16   Link #97
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Miyuki does find the system that Izumiko represents morally repulsive, it seems - a system where status and power are conferred based on birth rather than merit.

I certainly won't defend the way he treats her for something that really isn't her fault, but it seems disproportionate (though quite typical) that he should receive a flood of criticism for rudeness while the Yamabushi character gets a trickle for child abuse. The two are by no means morally comparable as far as I'm concerned.

The other thing I'll say about that is that I noticed Miyuki called his father by his given name, which at least suggests a small chance that the father-son relationship may be a front.
No one is defending the father but the father is not the main character nor is he going to end up with the female protagonist as the op suggests.

The conversation wasn't about whose actions were worse but this was a horrible start for the main male character.

That being said he was way more than rude to her.
Old 2013-03-17, 20:20   Link #98
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
No one is defending the father but the father is not the main character nor is he going to end up with the female protagonist as the op suggests.

The conversation wasn't about whose actions were worse but this was a horrible start for the main male character.

That being said he was way more than rude to her.
He didn't physically attack her, though. Verbal abuse is bad, but what the "father" did left a 14 year-old what looked to be about one step away from the hospital.

I think it could be argued, in fact, that what Izumiko endures at school was much worse than what Miyuki said, which were just basically petulant outbursts. The stuff at school looked like it had been going on for a while, and might have constituted real bullying.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 20:24   Link #99
Dr. Casey

Quote:
but the father is not going to end up with the female protagonist
or is he

Honestly, the main thing that ruined my opinion of Miyuki was the flashback. A maladjusted teenager that's become angry and bitter over the years as a result of child abuse is a very interesting character concept, and a relatable one since I've known numerous people in real life that have undergone the same transformation. The flashback to childhood, though, makes me wonder if he's always been an asshole and that's just his natural personality.

I'm sure that Miyuki will grow on you, though, even if he was a prick in this first episode.

Spoiler for Right?:
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 20:25   Link #100
kuromitsu

Quote:
Well, as Kirarakim said, Yukimasa is not one half of the main couple. Also, to be honest, I'm not sure which one is worse, a child-beater or a 15 year old boy who pretty much bullies a shy and insecure girl. (Yes, I know he probably has a deep wound on his soul, and I'm sure his personality and his relationship with Izumiko will improve.)

Quote:
Or he just calls him by his given name because he has serious issues with him and doesn't want to call him "father". (Re: Ishida Uryuu from Bleach who also calls his dad "Ryuuken" instead of "father.")
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, p.a. works, school life, seinen, shoujo