AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-12-11, 13:00   Link #461
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Why discontinue it? It looks good, esp. if you're a male looking from point blank.
Let's put it this way. I'm a man, and I wouldn't want my teenage daughter to wear something like that. Not when there are male teachers teaching in her school....

Pink nurse uniforms exist for real? Hmm...I've always thought it was only a figment of anime fantasy.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 13:16   Link #462
barefoot

yeah pink nurse uniforms are actually common over my country too. almost every other private clinics and certain department of big hospitals(children wards etc. . .) have nurses dressed in light pink. however, i have yet to spot one with mini skirt
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 17:39   Link #463
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
hmm does uni students in Japan really start looking for jobs(jobs meant after they graduate) during their 3rd or final year?
I would like to ask this question: what university student doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
yeah pink nurse uniforms are actually common over my country too. almost every other private clinics and certain department of big hospitals(children wards etc. . .) have nurses dressed in light pink. however, i have yet to spot one with mini skirt
Well, there are semi-miniskirt uniforms over here..... Not as short as in the games, but above the knee.

Yet, it looks decent.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 14:39   Link #464
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Is there any uniqueness to how Japan university students get post-grad jobs or is it the usual nepotism-goodoleboy-networking-chance routines that most countries work with?

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-12-12 at 18:25.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 16:45   Link #465
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Can I remind posters to remain on-topic to the actual subject
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 17:35   Link #466
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Right... when to start job looking isn't really about *japanese culture* now unless you can compare the differences... otherwise it is derailing the topic.

Back on topic: is there any uniqueness to how Japan university students get post-grad jobs or is it the usual nepotism-goodoleboy-networking-chance routines that most countries work with?
The usual.

Getting a job is all the same everywhere (unless you're continuing the family business)
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 11:13   Link #467
Kristen
*Author

Sorry if this has been asked before in this thread...

If you're a 3rd year high school student, what is the college admissions process?
Old 2007-12-13, 11:52   Link #468
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Most of the year is spent prepping for entrance exams (the series Lucky*Star and Lovely*Complex addressed this somewhat as did Love Hina).
You can apply to any college or university. Your hopes of getting in are directly tied to your scores on the university entrance exams and which high school you attended.
Getting into Todai is a bit like getting into Harvard/Yale with a dash of Stanford/MIT (though there are science and engineering schools equally difficult to get into ... Todai is where a lot of future power brokers come from: lawyers, government, politicians).

Which high school you attended was based on your high school entrance exam and scoring the levels that high school required (different high schools have different scoring minimums). You apply to high schools just as you do for college.

Early mistakes in academic life directly impact your later range of choices -- hence the uber-pressure that extends all the way down to pre-school. It isn't really unique to Japan but they, like most asian countries, take it up a notch.
Old 2007-12-13, 11:55   Link #469
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
You can apply to any college or university. Your hopes of getting in are directly tied to your scores on the university entrance exams and which high school you attended. Which high school you attended was based on scoring the levels that high school required (different high schools have different scoring minimums).
When do these college admissions tests take place? (I'm pretty sure it's January, but I can't be sure.) And when does someone apply to college?

(Also, thanks. ^_^)
Old 2007-12-13, 12:26   Link #470
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah... since the K-12 school year is April to April.... admissions tests take place in January a few weeks after New Years (so you can get that last prayer in at the shrine ). When you graduate from high school, you've already gotten notice of who has accepted you. If no one accepts you, you're a "ronin" (clan-less) and will probably spend the next year in cram courses and study to prep for entrance exams again.

You have to select what colleges to apply to before that so your scores can be sent there. I'm not sure how early you can *start* an application file with a college but I imagine in it is in the fall beforehand.
Old 2007-12-20, 11:10   Link #471
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
The seniors here have pretty much all quit their circles; time to look for a job during their last semester of university. Many of the students have already found the place they'll be starting their career at, and those who haven't are scrambling...
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 11:40   Link #472
Dxon
Inactive Member

Quote:
Most of the year is spent prepping for entrance exams (the series Lucky*Star and Lovely*Complex addressed this somewhat as did Love Hina).
You can apply to any college or university. Your hopes of getting in are directly tied to your scores on the university entrance exams and which high school you attended.
Getting into Todai is a bit like getting into Harvard/Yale with a dash of Stanford/MIT (though there are science and engineering schools equally difficult to get into ... Todai is where a lot of future power brokers come from: lawyers, government, politicians).

Which high school you attended was based on your high school entrance exam and scoring the levels that high school required (different high schools have different scoring minimums). You apply to high schools just as you do for college.

Early mistakes in academic life directly impact your later range of choices -- hence the uber-pressure that extends all the way down to pre-school. It isn't really unique to Japan but they, like most asian countries, take it up a notch.
And thats why I dont wanna go to a japanese school. I think the pressure is just to much. Although it also seems somewhat fun in its own way on a japanese school. Like you stay in the same class room and the teachers go from room to room unlike here where everybody goes from room to room. (teachers and students)
The cafeteria in the school seems funny too. (IF there is one) We dont have that here. :P
The biggest thing of japanese schools i probably wont like is the amount of homework and the pressure of getting good grades.
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 13:22   Link #473
Yaoi_Daisuki
少年愛

hey guys, im not too sure if this question shoudl be under this thread but well

are there any major piracy issues in japan? (be in anime, games, console, software etc etc.)

you know, pc game piracy are getting better, probably due to the online gaming features, but when it comes to purely offline stuff wouldnt most people just bt off and get some cracks? eroge etc . . . even software like windows, photoshops and stuff . . the worst would be console games i guess, look at psp, nds etc . . i could literally see pirates everywhere

are the situation in japan similar to this as well? you know, when your in train, you could see people switching games in psp/nds without removing the disk and stuff -_-
Yaoi_Daisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 13:53   Link #474
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Daisuki View Post

are there any major piracy issues in japan?
Well there was a japanese freighter that got taken hostage by pirates a few weeks ago...
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0070710b2.html

Sorry, I no longer buy into the industry framing this issue as "piracy". Its taking a word that invokes a incredibly violent behavior and applying it to copyright violation. Therefore when the consumer public buys into using the phrase they fall to the propaganda efforts of the industry.

As far as copyright and bootlegging goes <shrug> "major" depends on how you define it. Are the corporations involved making major profits? Gee, accurate information is actually quite hard to come by.
How would one *measure* the amount of copyright violation and then make a determination about "major" or not? Every unauthorized copy does not equal lost sale so that doesn't work... hmmmm.

Seriously, the question is difficult to answer framed as it is. There's some copying and sharing for sure. Is it enough to damage sales and affect the willingness of industry to continue their work? Unknown.
Old 2008-01-06, 21:32   Link #475
Autumn Demon
~

on working in japan
http://economist.com/business/displa...ry_id=10424391
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 02:32   Link #476
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Daisuki View Post

are there any major piracy issues in japan? (be in anime, games, console, software etc etc.)

you know, pc game piracy are getting better, probably due to the online gaming features, but when it comes to purely offline stuff wouldnt most people just bt off and get some cracks? eroge etc . . . even software like windows, photoshops and stuff . . the worst would be console games i guess, look at psp, nds etc . . i could literally see pirates everywhere

are the situation in japan similar to this as well? you know, when your in train, you could see people switching games in psp/nds without removing the disk and stuff -_-
I'll actually answer this question instead of just giving personal opinions about piracy and whatnot. (winks at Vexx)

Yes, there is a copyright violation issue in Japan, just like any country.
Majority of them comes from the P2P file sharing using anonymously encoded softwares, mainly one called "winny" (And although less userbase, "share")
Unlike bittorrent, which isn't very anonymous in client to client nor is it only used for piracy (video game patches, for example, makes good use of this efficient client based network) winny's secure anonymousity and cache sharing renders its use almost completely for piracy.
Bittorrent is not very widly used in Japan, and neither are majority of english-based file sharing software.

However, the "piracy" problems in Japan is mostly due to file-sharing, and not in physical form of business like it is in many of the asian countries. You don't see very many people selling pirated CDs and DVDs on the streets or in stores, and only ones found are mostly indivisual unique cases.
It's somewhat similar to US, although US DOES have shady retailers selling illegal pirated chinese CD/DVDs. And those bootleg Nintendo systems you see sold in the hallways of shopping malls. You've seen them, haven't you? However, these cases in US are not nearly as wide spread as most asian countries (especially in the developing nations).

The extent of piracy problems is somewhat hard to measure for Japan, as it's mostly among computer geeks and younger generations with some knowledge of P2P. The fact that it doesn't have a large retail distribution does suggest its economical impact isn't as bad, but the problem still does exist, even if smaller than most nations.
Old 2008-01-12, 04:18   Link #477
Navel

Are japanese children so dependent on mobile phones as this article says ? It's true that in this country where I'm living there are more mobile phones in circulation than there are people (according to the telecom operators), but I've never heard of people relying so much on them.
Navel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 10:01   Link #478
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Yes, there is a copyright violation issue in Japan, just like any country.
Majority of them comes from the P2P file sharing using anonymously encoded softwares, mainly one called "winny" (And although less userbase, "share")
Unlike bittorrent, which isn't very anonymous in client to client nor is it only used for piracy (video game patches, for example, makes good use of this efficient client based network) winny's secure anonymousity and cache sharing renders its use almost completely for piracy.
Bittorrent is not very widly used in Japan, and neither are majority of english-based file sharing software.
I remember the Winny incident where the lead developer was indicted (kinda like the Napster case in the US).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navel View Post
Are japanese children so dependent on mobile phones as this article says ? It's true that in this country where I'm living there are more mobile phones in circulation than there are people (according to the telecom operators), but I've never heard of people relying so much on them.
I don't know, but I won't be surprised. Looking at what MySpace or Facebook can do to children in the US, and extrapolate that so that the kids can be online 24/7, it sure gives a scary result.
Old 2008-01-12, 17:36   Link #479
JustInn14
moo

It's not as gross as other people have said it is,,, right? (Japanese Culture).
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 18:02   Link #480
solidified

question: Not really about the culture...but I heard there are alot of "love hotels" in japan, mainly in the big cities. is this true?

im just asking
solidified is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture