AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-04, 15:33   Link #81
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
I have to agree with Kitsu. After raping my eyes with Queen's Blade, Miyuki's got nothing on them orz

Finished my first Basquash fanart last night. I was too tired to upload it though.

Spoiler for DAN. YOUR HAIR NEEDS TO BE BIGGER.:
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 17:58   Link #82
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Is there romance in this anime? between the big black breasted girl and the main character?
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 18:03   Link #83
Anonidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
Well, wasn't there some talk about Miyuki's design being a specific request from Kawamori?
God bless him if that's true. God bless him.
That or Thomas Romain request it, I need to lurk at Catsuka more to know the detail though.
Anonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 18:17   Link #84
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonidas View Post
You guys compare this to Gurren Lagann and Code Geass but no MegasXLR?
One guy mentioned Code Geass and he just talked about a parallel

Quote:
Anyway, the "young kid + busty female sidekick + over the topness = Gurren Lagann" connection here is hilarious, considering that these traits have been very common in super robot anime since...you know, Mazinger Z?
I am talking about it being like Lagann in terms of style, since I also bring up Soul Eater clearly mecha has nothing to do with my point but please feel free to bring up more super robot shows from the 70's and continue to miss the point. Or did I miss a Mazinger series from back in the day where it come off too cool for school with flashy characters and battles with hiphop incorporated into the soundtrack?

Similar Feel/Style =! Ripoff

Speaking of the soundtrack I was surprised that Taku Iwasaki wasn't doing this considering he did Lagann/Soul Eater as well as working on Thomas Romain's Oban Star-Racers.. and he seems to be using hiphop more and more in his works... seemed like he would've been a perfect fit... but it gives Kei Yoshikawa a chance so let's see how he goes.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 18:27   Link #85
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I was that guy, and I also brought up Megas XLR before the show debuted.

But however many robot shows I can see it being like, the one I most want it to be like is itself.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 18:29   Link #86
Anonidas

Quote:

I am talking about it being like Lagann in terms of style, since I also bring up Soul Eater clearly mecha has nothing to do with my point but please feel free to bring up more super robot shows from the 70's and continue to miss the point. Or did I miss a Mazinger series from back in the day where it come off too cool for school with flashy characters and battles with hiphop incorporated into the soundtrack?
Hey ya, Kouji Kabuto is always too cool for school. Too much mechabeasts for him to BRREEEASSST FFIIYAAA, too little time to study=))
That means you miss every Mazinger series ever.
Now go watch Mazinger. I mean it.
Hip hop soundtrack? Yeah, sure Dancougar Nova did that along with Gurren Lagann time to time. And holy sh!t. Eureak Seven did that too.

I'm just saddened that no one draw an obvious parallel line between this and MegasXLR, I mean just look at both shows!!!
Old 2009-04-04, 18:44   Link #87
Westlo
Lets be reality

I know what Mazinger is.. I saw the butchered Americanized version of aka Tranzor Z when I was 5 or 6 and I went back to it later on.... Also saying Mazinger is like Gurren Lagann in style is like saying Hakeem Olajuwon and Shaquille O'Neal played the 5 (center) position the same way.

E7 was more trance.
Old 2009-04-04, 19:21   Link #88
Anonidas

Quote:
I know what Mazinger is.. I saw the butchered Americanized version of aka Tranzor Z when I was 5 or 6 and I went back to it later on.... Also saying Mazinger is like Gurren Lagann in style is like saying Hakeem Olajuwon and Shaquille O'Neal played the 5 (center) position the same way.

E7 was more trance.
Sorry, dood, then you really have to watch Mazinger Z (or the recent Mazinkaiser), because GL does kinda get the quirky and oldschool supa robo feel out of it, even with the quirky animation style, fanservice, over the top characters, flashy attacks and overall MANLY soundtrack.
And these traits are obviously the thing BASQUASH is going for, kids and old schoolers will love the freak out of it.

Don't watch Shin Mazinger atm though, it's going to give you a big mindfrak.
Old 2009-04-04, 23:16   Link #89
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
kids and old schoolers will love the freak out of it.
I suddenly feel old even though I shouldn't (but when I was a kid I did watch Mazinger Z, and Great Mazinger, and all the other Nagai shows). I guess I easily fall in love with hotblooded shows.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 23:41   Link #90
Anonidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
I suddenly feel old even though I shouldn't (but when I was a kid I did watch Mazinger Z, and Great Mazinger, and all the other Nagai shows). I guess I easily fall in love with hotblooded shows.
Super Robot Spirit won't ever get old.

Not when there's still hotblood kids playing basketball with their car robots wearing sneakers...wow, that was kind of mouthful.
Old 2009-04-05, 00:00   Link #91
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
Quote:
Also, kudo to the BASQUASH's French staff for a new kind of animation, they made the pre-rendered 3d CGI backgrounds look good, even with 2D characters.
Yeah, it reminds me of a more advanced version of the Oban style.

And the point wasn't "it's all been ripped from older stuff" it's stop comparing ever damn thing to the one megapopular mecha show you saw because it's all you've seen and ANYthing with Mecha is going to remind you of it.

Gurren Lagann wasn't even trying to BE original--it was a tribute/parody almost. It was meant to be the Hot Fuzz of mecha. Let's not pretend it was doing anything but rehashing everything ever done in mecha over the last decade, without taking any of it seriously.

And most people saying that haven't seen an episode yet, sooo yeah.

Jinsoo, the fanart is great! I was thinking of doing one myself. I like the idea of ANOTHER hot-blooded, b-ball playing redhead once again!
Keiichi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 01:03   Link #92
Anonidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiichi_chan View Post
Gurren Lagann wasn't even trying to BE original--it was a tribute/parody almost. It was meant to be the Hot Fuzz of mecha. Let's not pretend it was doing anything but rehashing everything ever done in mecha over the last decade, without taking any of it seriously.
100 % agree with this statement!!!
Holy sh!t, finally someone who acknowledges the true nature of GL.

Not that I hate GL or anything, I fricking love every second of it, but it wasn't original and didn't even try to be original.
Old 2009-04-05, 01:22   Link #93
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I honestly don't really care that much about "originality". And in any case, I still prefer shows like GL or Basquash that spawned from the minds of their creators, rather than watching an anime studio always playing the safe route by doing visual novel and 4koma adaptions which take little effort in terms of planning and concept design.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 07:52   Link #94
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiichi_chan View Post
And the point wasn't "it's all been ripped from older stuff" it's stop comparing ever damn thing to the one megapopular mecha show you saw because it's all you've seen and ANYthing with Mecha is going to remind you of it.
Otaku please, I've been watching mecha shows since I saw the Americanized versions of Mazinger Z, Go-Lion and Macross, aka Tranzor Z, Voltron and Robotech. If you can't seem to wrap around your head that this is partially aimed at the same crowd who "digged" Gurren Lagann/Soul Eater for their vibe and style... (which is nothing like Mazinger Z/One Piece) and don't give a shit or even know about Mazinger than it's your loss.

Quote:
Who said Gurren Lagann was original in the first place? Basquash by essence of combining mecha and basketball is more original than Lagann by far but originality is overrated anyway. Execution > Originality and Lagann knocked it's execution out of the park, too early to say the same about Basquash.

Quote:
And most people saying that haven't seen an episode yet, sooo yeah.
I watched the HD raw shortly after it was put up on torrents.
Old 2009-04-05, 08:09   Link #95
Anonidas

Quote:
If you can't seem to wrap around your head that this is partially aimed at the same crowd who "digged" Gurren Lagann/Soul Eater for their vibe and style... (which is nothing like Mazinger Z/One Piece)
This is wrong, because it's obviously that BASQUASH is aiming for the audience who watch and enjoy both Mazinger Z and GL, you know, the super robot fans.

...and fricking umai is so slow, at this state, seems like Shin Mazinger will be getting subs first before Basquash.
Old 2009-04-05, 08:14   Link #96
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
This is wrong, because it's obviously that BASQUASH is aiming for the audience who watch and enjoy both Mazinger Z and GL, you know, the super robot fans.
When did I say it wasn't aimed at Super Robot fans? Partial =! Only? Surprise surprise shows can be aimed at multiple groups!

This is pointless.. and lol @ the new Mazinger being a mindfuck, it's clearly a near last episode aired as the first, it's been done before and it will be done again.
Old 2009-04-05, 08:21   Link #97
Anonidas

Quote:
When did I say it wasn't aimed at Super Robot fans? Partial =! Only? Surprise surprise shows can be aimed at multiple groups!
You know, the fault in your statement is that you think that the show particularly aimed for the GL/Soul Eater (I didn't even watch Soul Eater so maybe I miss out something), but it obviously isn't, it's aiming at mecha fan and shounen fan in general which also consists the GL/SE group.
Honestly, I don't see this trying to be GL or SE anything more than it trying to be a new shounen/ super robot show.
Old 2009-04-05, 08:23   Link #98
Westlo
Lets be reality

No the fault is yours in not knowing the difference between partially and particularly. Now that this uh.. "misunderstanding" is cleared up let's drop it since it's pointless.
Old 2009-04-05, 08:27   Link #99
Anonidas

Quote:
No the fault is yours in not knowing the difference between partially and particularly.
Yeah, I guess.

But you are right, this is kind of pointless, because this is just the first episode. And we don't have any freaking subs yet.

If I was here back when GL's first episode was airing, I could totally say GL = One Piece with rowboats due to the shounen characters, animation style and the goddamn piracy theme.
Old 2009-04-05, 21:03   Link #100
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
Quote:
which is nothing like Mazinger Z/One Piece
if you don't see the art style similarities between Soul Eater and Op then I can only urge you get your prescription checked very soon. Soul Eater literally looks like OP directed by Tim Burton and occasionally grabs character designs from every other shonen series like Naruto and Bleach, but oh! throws a scar or a pair of glasses on them. Oh, and let's not forget the designs it directly copies from Guilty Gear. I think you're confusing art style with music, guy.

I'm talking about the way the show is drawn and the design sense. And once again, the scenes in the Basqash promos with the redheaded protagonist shouting passionately as he slam dunks are DIRECT lifts from Slam Dunk! if anything. The angle and everything is identical from the exact same moments in that anime, not Gurren. And since when are Gurren and Soul Eater the first ever anime series to try and be "hip"? Anime series are following those music cues because it's a trend--not a trend GL started either. Get over it.
Hey, I guess The World Ends with You is ripping off Gurren Lagann, too. It has the same style and music taste...

Westlo, could you kindly curb your flailing until you've actually SEEN an episode or two of the show you're reaming??
This show looks more like a straight-up sports series with mechs thrown in to add some semblance of originality, not the standard mecha show in the first place.
Quote:
Honestly, I don't see this trying to be GL or SE anything more than it trying to be a new shounen/ super robot show.
Yeah, that's what I'm getting from it, too. Just a sports shonen with mecha thrown in. Because of that, it may appeal to non-mecha fans the way Gurren not taking anything seriously did, but I don't see it TRYING to appeal to people who liked either show. I find the "Soul Eater is doing something nobody else has done" argument hysterical. It's just a stylish show, there have been other stylish shows, dude. Have you never seen cartooniness mixed with gothness before?

Last edited by Keiichi_chan; 2009-04-05 at 21:17.
Keiichi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basketball, mecha, shounen