AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-18, 06:13   Link #2401
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I always assumed it was converted to mana then stored. In that form it has no mass. So no, no change in weight. If it were valid, Teana's hand in the StrikerS train job did not have a "compensatory sag" when she called off XM's other half, so while the lack of canon detail is appalling, I think this is a reasonable assumption.
Old 2010-05-18, 06:55   Link #2402
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
Not going to bother digging through the 121 pages here because we all know how much DRAMA took place in the past, so i might as well ask straight out anyway.

question is on devices. their weight, to be precise. for example, Cross Mirage has a Two-Hand mode, but when the second one is not in use, is its weight added to the original body, making it twice the weight of one gun, or is it stored in a pseudohammerspace(or whatever the equivalent is in nanoverse. that'll be another story, though i remember it being discussed here once) and thus the weight is negligible?
If you think the weight is still there, when do you stop?

Does vita always carry around her enormous Hammer (and why does she change if it has the same weight?), does Nanoha have the equivalent weight of her blaster bits even in normal mode?

And what about sealed mode?

Myself, i just think about either hammer-space (), or else even that it creates everything on the spot (but the crystals).
Old 2010-05-18, 15:28   Link #2403
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Plus we already know they can create apparently solid objects - Vita and Rein's ball/dagger projectiles.
Old 2010-05-18, 17:42   Link #2404
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
Plus we already know they can create apparently solid objects - Vita and Rein's ball/dagger projectiles.
You forgot about subspace pockets each device have. At least Vita balls and Signums Laevantin components for whip-sword are in they devices subspace storage. Same with device in inactive form. And Rein definitely DO have her own device even if she can't make subspace pocket on her own... as Acous clearly could with his cake, and she most likely can do it on her own anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
question is on devices. their weight, to be precise. for example, Cross Mirage has a Two-Hand mode, but when the second one is not in use, is its weight added to the original body, making it twice the weight of one gun, or is it stored in a pseudohammerspace(or whatever the equivalent is in nanoverse. that'll be another story, though i remember it being discussed here once) and thus the weight is negligible?
We have only one direct number IIRC and it's weight of Signum's device with all upgrades and parts - and it's more than half ton!!! Parts in subspace storage definitely don't weight anything, though it's not clear about active device weight like Signum's sword-whip which most likely most of that half ton weight. What is clear - there are definitely strength and durability enchantments on mages, so Nanoha could counter pressure of Vita's attack in first episode of Aces while concrete literally!!! crumbled under her from that same pressure - so using half ton sword-whip without anti-weight enhancements is not out realm of possibility, especially because weightless it would be mostly ineffective.

PS. It's funny - but after some thinking I must conclude that somewhat proficient nanohaverse mage can easily kill unprotected human just by punching him... Strength enchantments and all that...

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.

Last edited by al103; 2010-05-18 at 17:55.
Old 2010-05-18, 18:31   Link #2405
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Whoa, where was there a direct quote for mass of a device? I've been wanting one forever.
Old 2010-05-18, 19:05   Link #2406
arkhangelsk

There almost certainly isn't. The half-ton stuff, AFAIK, is from the fan fiction Academy Blues by Daishi Prime...
Old 2010-05-18, 19:23   Link #2407
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
Whoa, where was there a direct quote for mass of a device? I've been wanting one forever.
Don't remember, but it was most likely either booklet or sound stage.

Old 2010-05-19, 01:20   Link #2408
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Last I checked, the whole 'parts are stored in subspace' was still an unconfirmed theory.
Old 2010-05-19, 01:45   Link #2409
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Last I checked, the whole 'parts are stored in subspace' was still an unconfirmed theory.
Well, there is a subspace storage (jewel seeds etc), though it might not be for parts.

However, if it's not for parts, there is designed parts on the device made to materialize pretty much everything in the device.
Old 2010-05-19, 09:55   Link #2410
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Well, it's either stored in subspace, or formed out of magic particles would the device goes active.

Or it's, you know, magic.
Old 2010-05-19, 10:57   Link #2411
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Well, it's either stored in subspace, or formed out of magic particles would the device goes active.
Only subspace storage is much more plausible and energy efficient...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Or it's, you know, magic.
Since when Nanohaverse worked on "it's magic!!!"? It's one of the things I like about it that while we don't given explanation of everything, we at least can be sure that there is in-universe explanation, even if characters don't know it and that rules of magic don't change seven times in week.

Old 2010-05-19, 11:34   Link #2412
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
Only subspace storage is much more plausible and energy efficient...
I don't see how it's more plausible, no evidence exists to confirm either really and support goes both ways.
Old 2010-05-19, 11:48   Link #2413
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I don't see how it's more plausible, no evidence exists to confirm either really and support goes both ways.
If Signum's device after all upgrades weight more than .5 ton then I think it's not ".5 to actually converted in mana to transform back if needed".

PS. Actually requesting parts and requiring replacement parts at all don't make sense if all of that is just materialized mana...

Last edited by al103; 2010-05-19 at 12:00.
Old 2010-05-19, 12:28   Link #2414
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Neither does 'imagining your device' if it's all build already. Like I said, there's credit to both theories, but no final proof.
Old 2010-05-20, 14:22   Link #2415
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
If Signum's device after all upgrades weight more than .5 ton then I think it's not ".5 to actually converted in mana to transform back if needed".

PS. Actually requesting parts and requiring replacement parts at all don't make sense if all of that is just materialized mana...
Ah, well. Why draw stick figures when you can commission a pro artist?

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-05-24, 05:30   Link #2416
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Ah, well. Why draw stick figures when you can commission a pro artist?
And wasting military budget for mere Aesthetic version, but yes, you right, it's NOT for sole aesthetic reason, it's the PERFORMANCE.

As far as we know, there are 4 class of device (some are damn confusing)

- Storage Device

- Armed Device

- Intelligent Device

- Unison Device

As far as we know, Storage Devices are rather common (StikerS manga, there are Staffs for Mid-childan trainees and Spears for Belkan trainees). They're easier and simpler (in some kind of sense) than another three.
For example; Teana's Anchor Gun and Subaru's Rollerblades are hand-made.

These two looked crude and yes, kinda like Stick Figure, but they are useful.

Back to the topic;

Weight issues are confusing too, and yes, they NEED Parts, not simply talk about damn talented artist or something.

By the way, I heard Verossa Accous carried cakes on his sub-space, is that true???
Old 2010-05-24, 05:48   Link #2417
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

go watch the episode where Hayate and Teana visit can't-remember-where in episode 14, where Rossa was chatting with Chrono.

You also forgot about Boost Devices.
Old 2010-05-26, 10:50   Link #2418
Arkeus

Ok, two questions as i can't seem to remember:

1°) Do we know why Jail was looking for the Relics, and what he planned to do with them? beyond the one for Vivio, that is.

2°) Any theories on what would have happeend to Fate hadn't she be freed from the YnS and Arc-En-Ciel'd as standard procedure by TSAB?

Would she have become part of the Wolrenkitter, or died with it?
Old 2010-05-26, 13:52   Link #2419
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
1) wow, thats a thought provoker. Well, alright, I'd say yes if only for the fact that letting her die is an obvious no. So, then, if we have her as a data being like the volkenwritter, then she wouldn't age. She'd be an eternal lightning loli under hayate's guidance.

Hmm, that would make the adoption process confusing. Ah well. maybe not.

2) Yes? They thoroughly destroyed that thing.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-09-23, 20:24   Link #2420
DKN117

...I just spent the last eight days reading this ENTIRE thread - all 122 pages of it. Hoo! Whatta task! My head kinda hurts... When I read, I imagine the words being spoken in my head, and after a while I started 'assigning' specific voices to frequent posters. My Keroko mind-voice eventually developed a slight British accent, while AdmiralTigerClaw got a gruff military-esque voice. And considering how pestering/annoying he turned out to be more often than not, Arkhangelsk got the voice of the Scout from Team Fortress 2. And I was indeed imagining some of his 'arguments' as "What, you gonna cry? You gonna cry? Come on - rage-quit, do us all a favor", etc.

I also had some perverse fun by imagining Precia Testarossa (shortly pre-S1) reading through the entire thing, sometimes face-palming at some of the conjectures made (and the arguments).

That aside, I came up with a theory for my fanfic verse on how the Arc-en-Ciel works (and descriptions on the three types of FTL travel, to provide background). How's this sound?

Spoiler for Arc-en-Ciel and FTL:

I also came up, for my stories, with an 'explanation' for the phenomenon of magic, and its connection to the other two 'fundamental manipulatable forces':

Spoiler for Force, Magic, and Ki:

Third is my breakdown of different systems of magic:

Precursor → Forerunner → Al-Hazardian → Belkan and Midchildan
Al-Hazardian branches to Belkan system and Midchildan system
Forerunner system, besides leading to Al-Hazardian system, also eventually leads to Rowl-Ing system (Harry Potter)
Precursor system, besides leading to Forerunner system, also, after over 200 millennia, leads to Vetus system (Negima)

Lastly, to anyone who's read up on the Halo Expanded Universe (or just paid close attention to my above slipspace explanations), do you think that Slipspace travel - specifically, the opening of rifts into slipspace for craft to travel into and out of it - would register to the TSAB as "potentially-dangerous dimensional distortions" and lead to the TSAB trying to force the UNSC and Covenant to switch to a different method of FTL travel? Or would they leave it be?

And how about the SPARTAN programs? Considered highly unethical even amongst the few who know of it in the UNSC, and yet without the Spartans the UNSC humans would've lost the war and been driven to extinction. What viewpoint would the Bureau take considering all that? Also, considering how anti-mass-weapon the TSAB is, would they try to force the UNSC to stop using their projectiles, coilguns, and nukes even though they're in the middle of a desperate war for survival against the Covenant? (To tell how close said war was: in the end, after the war ended with a UNSC/Covenant-Separatist victory, roughly 92% of the human population had been killed in only 27 years of war)

For that matter, what would the TSAB do if they, not the UNSC, were encountered by the Covenant, who deemed the Bureau and its people as a profane race to be driven to extinction by order of the gods? How would the TSAB handle the massive, advanced military juggernaut of militant religious extremists that are the Covenant, who have hundreds of ships and billions of warriors, who kill every human they find and reduce worlds to burnt, molten husks? No chance of negotiations, no prisoners taken, no civilians, women, or children spared, a monstrously large, massively-advanced, millenia-old force determined to drive the humans of the TSAB to extinction.

Oh, and in my stories, Al-Hazred is/was a Forerunner colony housing a medical and an astronavigation facility - and, before that, a Precursor colony. It's in realspace, but a gravitational anomaly prevents hyperspace or voidspace travel to it - which means that voidspace-using Precia's plan was doomed from the start, as are the aspirations of voidspace-using TSAB archeologists. Al-Hazred is, while technically human-habitable, an ice world, kinda like Hoth but not as cold (equatorial temperatures regularly reach above freezing during the planet's closer-to-its-sun points of its orbit).

Other parts of the Hazred system are Ori-Hazred, Al's massive, titanium-rich moon; En-Hazred, a planet farther inwards in the system's "Goldilocks Zone", dominated by forests and deserts, a hot planet that is nonetheless well within human habitability; Ul-Hazred, a blue gas giant whose deeper levels brim with valuable (for nuclear fuel) deuterium; and the system's orange-dwarf star, Il-Hazred. (compared to Earth's yellow-dwarf Sol and Midchilda's slightly-larger-than-Sol yellow dwarf Beacon)

Sorry if I ran long. I've had this all building up since the page 60's.

Last edited by DKN117; 2010-09-27 at 00:57.
Closed Thread