AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 16 21.62%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 33.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 28.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.35%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-04, 12:20   Link #41
Qilin
Romanticist

It seems the show really intends of pushing the romance subplot between Houtarou and Eru, though it should be fine as long as it doesn't overshadow the focus on the characters and the mysteries.

As for the episodic mystery, it was a fairly engaging one. It helped to have all the clues scattered all around the episode as opposed to dumping everything in one go. That way, the presentation felt more natural. I managed to guess that the younger sister hanged the yukata to either dry or air it out, but I wasn't able to figure out the summer festival part.

Oh well. Contrary to my initial expectations, the characters are starting to grow on me.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:29   Link #42
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Another great episode, but the problem is same as last episode: I wish there was an overall narrative to all this.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:59   Link #43
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I can't believe Eru was okay with a mix hotsprings, and Houtaru picturing her like that was just hilarious.
Old 2012-06-04, 16:35   Link #44
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
OTP.

I figured out the shadow as soon as the yukata showed up, but everything else completely flummoxed me. Especially the windows being opened. Well played, Hyouka.

Also, I have to say my favorite moment, just because it's my kind of humor, was Chitanda briefly uttering a hint of disappointment that the baths weren't mixed, and then immediately dropping the subject. WAIT WAT?
Some things were easier to predict than others. Like the person Houtarou saw going out was probably connected to the shape that they saw in the window.

Did have to blink when Chitanda just casually brought up the mixed baths thing. As in she went with him all the way down there actually expecting it to be mixed . She is definitely full of surprises and if Houtarou relaxes for a moment she'll leave him surprised again.
Old 2012-06-04, 17:58   Link #45
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Did the Chitanda x Houtarou train depart already?

Hope I'm not late to the partaay

Polaris

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-06-04, 20:50   Link #46
Random Wanderer

There were nowhere near enough scenes of the girls bathing. Heck, we didn't get to see Mayaka at all, and only a few fragments of Oreki's imagination of Chitanda doing so. This is not satisfactory at all. I demand some proper female fanservice to make up for all the naked guys they forced on us in this episode!
Old 2012-06-05, 00:08   Link #47
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I honestly thought the mystery this episode was pretty good. Like Qilin, I found it fairly engaging, and I also liked how the clues were scattered all around the episode instead of all dumped in one go. It did indeed feel more natural this way.

I also found this mystery much more emotionally compelling than the teacher error mystery of last episode. The mystery in this episode tied in nicely to what Eru was saying about siblings, and how she'd love to have one. This episode actually had a bit of a practical lesson to it.

I don't think this anime is only about Oreki's character growth, or "Coming of Age". I think it's also about Eru learning about the darker side of things, which I increasingly get the impression that she's been a bit sheltered from. First we saw her learn about the terrible truth of what her Uncle went through, and now she's learned that sibling relationships aren't all smiles and sharing.

Siblings can be pretty possessive of what they own, and have difficulty sharing with one another. I have two younger sisters that are twins to each other, and there's been a fair number of disputes that have arose between them due to disagreements over what they both can partake of, and what is owned strictly by one of them (this is especially true when it comes to clothes, similar to what we see in this episode). At the same time, though, this level of possessiveness doesn't mean that two sisters don't love and care for each other; it just means there are boundaries there that might surprise some people like Chitanda.

So this episode really hit home with me with how it portrayed siblings. And I like how it's not just Oreki who is going through significant character growth, but Chitanda as well.

8/10 for Episode 7.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-06-05 at 10:29.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:43   Link #48
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Fanservice apart , damn Houtarou can't you smile once in your life , he's always like :-(
Anyway still waiting for a solid episode like episode 5.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:38   Link #49
Skane
Anime Snark

Smile

I actually smiled at the ending. Houtarou being all moody and cynical, almost inflicting traumatic misery upon Eru, then the sisters showed up... and Life showed him a sign. A sign that said, "Take that stick out of your grumpy ass."

It's nice to see him being wrong once in a while (for the right reasons).

Cheers.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:16   Link #50
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 7
Fan service! Fan service! Fan service!

Oreki's body. <3 Satoshi's closeness. <3 Oreki's vision of Chitanda's. <3 Yes, I'm enjoying both shippings...

Most hilarious moments were the censorship and Chitanda's disappointment that it's not a mixed bath. Oh come ON, ojou-sama!
Old 2012-06-05, 11:26   Link #51
MartianMage

This is a pretty entertaining episode. And this is the first time I said this for Hyouka :P 8/10
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2012-06-05, 11:59   Link #52
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I actually smiled at the ending. Houtarou being all moody and cynical, almost inflicting traumatic misery upon Eru, then the sisters showed up... and Life showed him a sign. A sign that said, "Take that stick out of your grumpy ass."

It's nice to see him being wrong once in a while (for the right reasons).

Cheers.
I don't think he was wrong. The big sister is possessive, possibly because the little sister keeps taking her stuff, possibly because the parents favor the big sister. And none of that is particularly unusual. It doesn't mean they don't love each other - it just means relationships between siblings aren't as ideal as Eru imagines.

She's the one who's wrong for trying to see it in black and white. Siblings get angry, fight, and hurt each other. They also love and support each other. It's life.
Old 2012-06-05, 12:15   Link #53
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't think he was wrong. The big sister is possessive, possibly because the little sister keeps taking her stuff, possibly because the parents favor the big sister. And none of that is particularly unusual. It doesn't mean they don't love each other - it just means relationships between siblings aren't as ideal as Eru imagines.

She's the one who's wrong for trying to see it in black and white. Siblings get angry, fight, and hurt each other. They also love and support each other. It's life.
I largely agree, but in fairness to Skane, I do think that Oreki took his cynicism a step too far in the final scene of this episode (as he himself later admitted in one brief bit of narration). Eru is often too idealistic in her thinking, but Oreki is also too cynical at times.

What I see with Eru and Oreki is two very different worldviews clashing against each other, and in the process, a greater balance will be gained by both characters. Eru will learn that not everything is sunshine and lollipops, but Oreki will also learn that not everything is gloom and doom.
Old 2012-06-05, 12:19   Link #54
Skane
Anime Snark

Houtarou: It's half-empty.
Eru: It's half-full!
Mayaka: It's just a glass of water!
Satoshi: *drinks it*

Cheers.
Old 2012-06-05, 12:24   Link #55
rulfo

Since 11.5 is a bonus... I wonder...

Ep 8 is the start of the second arc so... If it ends in ep 11 then, 4 episodes for this arc?
Old 2012-06-05, 12:30   Link #56
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Since 11.5 is a bonus... I wonder...

Ep 8 is the start of the second arc so... If it ends in ep 11 then, 4 episodes for this arc?
hyouka is spectated to have 21 ep puls 1 ova in january

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyouka
Old 2012-06-05, 12:37   Link #57
raruku

10 for Chii-Chan's Bling-Bling Staring as always.
Old 2012-06-05, 12:44   Link #58
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Houtarou: It's half-empty.
Eru: It's half-full!
Mayaka: It's just a glass of water!
Satoshi: *drinks it*

Cheers.
for me looks more like:

Houtarou:it's half-empty
eru: it's half-full but... maybe u can be right, maybe... OREKI-SAN!!!(gee stare attack) ki ni narimasu!!!
Old 2012-06-05, 12:51   Link #59
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellessarr View Post
hyouka is spectated to have 21 ep puls 1 ova in january

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyouka
11.5 is going to be aired and streamed. So if it was an OVA then they wouldn't air this.
Old 2012-06-05, 13:18   Link #60
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
And yet another great ep. Just plain good quality imo, and the charas are engaging for me.

7.5/10 vote from me....