Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-16, 11:04   Link #221
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Are we sure that Sony is really paying Bones for the right to sell their stuff? From what I heard they were pretty desperate to get this show out there, somehow or another since losing a TV deal in the Spring.
I'm afraid that Sony might actually be taking advantage of them and are going to leave Bones footing a lot of the bill (i.e. revenues won't be enough to make up the production costs of the show).
Based on Aniplex's involvement, I assume ("assume" being the key word) that Sony/Aniplex footed the development bill and thus own the complete rights to the show.

Xamdou is produced by the "Xamdou Production Committee", which for me is tell tale to the fact that the studio itself doesn't solely own the final product. Or, at least, they only have a staggered ownership structure.

It's probably a similar deal to Ghost in the shell.

I don't think it's the same situation as GDH because, frankly, Bones is not a holding company and it never embarked on those wild venture capitalist forays like GDH. It's involvement in distribution of ANY of their product is most likely non-existant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I still prefer paying for physical media when all this digital distribution results into more control such as this. At least make it available for non-US consumers, Sony.
To be honest, I'd be willing to pay $4 a week for a show that I really like, even if it's only to rent rather than to keep. Frankly speaking, I have long ago foresaken watching too many shit fansubs of shit shows, so paying for quality is something I might agree to. If I liked to so much that I wanted a hard copy version, I'd just buy the DVD collection later on. Which is pretty much the same thing I do now.

Also, I can't remember the last time when I watched a fansub file twice or more. When I rewatch, I have probably already bought the physical disc and a lot of time has passed.

$4 is fairly steep per episode, but spread out over 6 months, it's not an end of the world. I certainly can afford it and would be willing to dish out depending on the quality of the show.

Which rather brings us to the original commercial hard copy content model. You watch the trailers, you see the previews, then you buy the first disc if you think it might be good. If it is, you keep on purchasing more, if it is not, you don't. It's the same as buying these files from PSN. The only downside is that you REALLY like it and want to rewatch on DVD, you end up buying it twice. Not really fair, but to be honest, with the small amount of really good shows coming out in Japan that I like (2-3 a year), I could probably afford it anyway. 8)

Last edited by MrProphet; 2008-07-16 at 11:15.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 11:42   Link #222
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denizen View Post

Here's to the hope it gets uploaded to torrents
Shouldn't be too long methinks, hopefully the 1080p version too

Evenso, this is fucking weird and out of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Xam'd has already debuted. Episode 1 came out today on US PSN, subbed. They're not waiting for the JP PSN release in Fall, they started it today in the US. Too bad Sony doesn't seem to be interested in consumers outside the US at the moment, because from the sounds it so far, people outside the US are even more willing to pay for this.
Will they finish the entire show via psn or is this more of a preview episode kind of thing?
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 11:57   Link #223
terrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Will they finish the entire show via psn or is this more of a preview episode kind of thing?
There's going to be a anouncment on friday so we'll find out whats what then i guess :/

Also i expect we'll see a torrent in about twelve hours possibly more, after all when has difficult security stopped rabid fans before?
terrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 12:11   Link #224
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrus View Post
There's going to be a anouncment on friday so we'll find out whats what then i guess :/

Also i expect we'll see a torrent in about twelve hours possibly more, after all when has difficult security stopped rabid fans before?
Well it all depends on the DRM the file uses and whether it's been cracked or not. If it hasn't that could be a long time before someone actually uploads a non-reencoded rip, but it wouldn't be that hard to strip the HDCP from an HDMI and hook it up to a 1080p capture card. That equipment is expensive, though, and it'd result in a loss of quality.

Well, we'll see. I'm sure the Japanese are hard at work trying to crack it themselves since i'm sure thy don't appreciate not getting their anime before the US .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 13:16   Link #225
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Well it all depends on the DRM the file uses and whether it's been cracked or not. If it hasn't that could be a long time before someone actually uploads a non-reencoded rip, but it wouldn't be that hard to strip the HDCP from an HDMI and hook it up to a 1080p capture card. That equipment is expensive, though, and it'd result in a loss of quality.

Well, we'll see. I'm sure the Japanese are hard at work trying to crack it themselves since i'm sure thy don't appreciate not getting their anime before the US .
the loss wont be any bigger then the loss we already get from the fact we are not using the same files that the broadcasters are using :P
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 13:44   Link #226
Eclipze

I didn't see this getting mentioned (sorry if it has), but are the episodes subbed? I mean, its released on the US PSN afterall...
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 13:51   Link #227
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
I didn't see this getting mentioned (sorry if it has), but are the episodes subbed? I mean, its released on the US PSN afterall...
Yup, it's Japanese audio with English subtitles.

And what a surprise, there's already a sub (not a raw, sorry!) out on the Net. Didn't take long...

Last edited by BluWacky; 2008-07-16 at 13:56. Reason: I can't remember what "raw" means...
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 13:54   Link #228
Eclipze

I find it more surprising that its a raw that is out instead of the sub.

Then again, I guess the subs can be turned off.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 13:55   Link #229
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
I find it more surprising that its a raw that is out instead of the sub.

Then again, I guess the subs can be turned off.
I meant sub, sorry. It's hardsubbed into the file.

Blame me being accustomed to anime premiering in Japan
Old 2008-07-16, 15:36   Link #230
typhonsentra

Cross-posting here:

Okay, I just finished the first episode:

If you've got an HD set and are considering downloading this rental, go for it over SD even if it's $1 more. This show is stunning! Visually it's one of the most detailed animated television shows I've seen, the main character Akiyuki in particular. His gestures, facial expressions, and even running are very detailed, putting other shows to shame. The music too is nice if a bit minimal in the actual show. The opening which you can hear in the trailer is addictive as hell (I downloaded the full track right after hearing it) but the ending thing.... much less so. English singing from a mediocre performer, I've already forgotten everything about it and I just listened to it just a few minutes ago.

As for the actual show, the first episode was very subdued up until the explosive conclusion. It's mostly a set-up to outline what life is like for a normal person in their world. Basically, the story starts out on an island in the midst of a police state with military everywhere preparing for an attack from the "Northern Government". The episode followed two groups, a student named Akiyuki who lives on the island as what appears to be a normal student and a group of postal carriers who do runs in between the various war zones/protected areas. It seems clear from the opening sequence the main guy will hook up with these guys in much the same way Renton did with the Gekko in E7. There are quite a few similarities and illusions too but I wouldn't say it's a ripoff, more homages but obviously it's too early to know for sure the direction the story will take. The technology in this world is typical for anime, the world is fairly familiar looking but it still has the old-standbys such as giant robots, although the white thing in the trailers actually isn't one of them.

I definitely like it, but then again I like everything I've seen from these guys. I'm pretty sure I'll continue downloading the episodes as they come too, although I'll probably stop at the first drop in quality. This is way too pricey to be paying for anything short of perfection.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 16:05   Link #231
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
This debacle illustrates pretty much everything that is wrong with production companies these days.

People dare to claim moral high ground against you-know-what and then purposefully make it fucking impossible NOT to watch you-know what.

It's one of those one step forward, two steps back things.
I think you pretty much nailed the key problem with this distribution method. It only makes their problems worse.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 17:32   Link #232
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Oh, wow.

I'm not going to summarize the episode, since you'll all see it anyway, but let me assure everyone that this is simply excellent. Wasting such an exquisitely rich series on an alternative distribution method now seems even more criminal of SCE.

It has A LOT of Nausicaa, a tad of Bebop, some Eureka 7. The setting is extremely Ghibliesque, both the normal town parts and the magical steampunk parts, especially the machinery. It could have easily come out of that studio. In fact, I am amazed at how little classic BONES is in the setting and the style. It feels different from their usual works. It feels old-school, like a mid-80's anime feature film.

It doesn't have that hip alternative swagger of Eureka or Bebop, it's more understated, as if they are saying "this is the world they live in, it's not like ours, but for them this is normal", so it doesn't feel like the characters are some cool cats living their cool life. The characters don't feel alternative, but the world does seems like it shifted phase and the characters sort of fit that normal-but-not-really model. It's a feeling similar to the one evoked by the setting of Fullmetal Alchemist, but even more so. There is a bit of RahXephonesque mysticism, but so far it's not pushed very hard.

The main character is rather mature, not your typical Normal Japanese Schoolboy of anime yore. He has this self-assured can-do attitude that I've found very appealing. Also, separated mother and father and NO drama with OOOOMYPARENTSRUINEDMYFAMILY crap. Very calm, even matter-of-fact realistic approach to characters. As far as character relationships go, there are several typical ones, like a very obvious childhood friend maybe-love-interest, a male buddy and an exotic warrior woman, but so far they are not pushing the cliches in any aggressive manner.

Needless to say that animation looks amazing. And it's not just the flashbang scenes, but rather the casual approach to quality in every single little scene. I'd write it off to First Episode Syndrome for now, but color me impressed nevertheless.

I also liked how their stereotypical "Japanese" setting is constantly offset by these little otherworldly differences here and there. It's very usual, but at the same time unusual. It feels like it takes place in Japan, but there are enough peculiarities that it won't be another alternative world adventure.

In any case, this show is huge. I am kind of sad because I hate crowded threads and this thread is gonna be crowded, but at the same time I really want to discuss this series a lot. It's just so rich. There is so much in that first episode, so many details to be engrossed over.

An excellent start. Now, BONES, continue with this feature film level of presentation and character building.

Last edited by MrProphet; 2008-07-16 at 17:44.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 17:46   Link #233
BluWacky
尻の竜

I couldn't put it better myself, MrProphet. You've articulated everything I wanted to say about this show already, but even though I can't add anything myself I'm still going to comment...

It is very Ghibli-esque, isn't it? It's the the way the characters move and the colours used (plus, well, the airplanes!) that really give off that vibe.

I like the way the important characters are introduced here - we only see little bits and pieces of them but already we've got an idea what they're like. I hope they don't overplay the potential love triangle between Akiyuki, Haru and Furuichi (plus whatever happens with Nakiami who looks to be a more major character than I'd first thought), but all three are great characters. I particularly hope the next episode follows through on what's been suggested here and Haru does know straight away that Akiyuki is Xamdou.

What a great first episode, what a crying shame it's being distributed in such an exclusive manner. It would be worth every penny if I could buy it

On a distribution related note, I can't imagine this being anything other than a massive flop. With little promotion to back it up in the States, if we take the already tiny anime fandom and narrow it down further to:

i) Those who have Playstation 3s
ii) Those who think the show looks interesting enough to watch
iii) Those who are willing to pay to rent it

You can't have a particularly huge number of people. How many people actually buy anything off the video stores on consoles, let alone brand new anime shows that essentially only Bones fans really know about?

I can't stay mad for too long about this because the show's so damn good, but still, grrrrrrr.
Old 2008-07-16, 17:47   Link #234
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Oh, wow.

I'm not going to summarize the episode, since you'll all see it anyway, but let me assure everyone that this is simply excellent. Wasting such an exquisitely rich series on an alternative distribution method now seems even more criminal of SCE.

It has A LOT of Nausicaa, a tad of Bebop, some Eureka 7. The setting is extremely Ghibliesque, both the normal town parts and the magical steampunk parts, especially the machinery. It could have easily come out of that studio. In fact, I am amazed at how little classic BONES is in the setting and the style. It feels different from their usual works. It feels old-school, like a mid-80's anime feature film.

It doesn't have that hip alternative swagger of Eureka or Bebop, it's more understated, as if they are saying "this is the world they live in, it's not like ours, but for them this is normal", so it doesn't feel like the characters are some cool cats living their cool life. The characters don't feel alternative, but the world does seems like it shifted phase and the characters sort of fit that normal-but-not-really model. It's a feeling similar to the one evoked by the setting of Fullmetal Alchemist, but even more so. There is a bit of RahXephonesque mysticism, but so far it's not pushed very hard.

The main character is rather mature, not your typical Normal Japanese Schoolboy of anime yore. He has this self-assured can-do attitude that I've found very appealing. Also, separated mother and father and NO drama with OOOOMYPARENTSRUINEDMYFAMILY crap. Very calm, even matter-of-fact realistic approach to characters. As far as character relationships go, there are several typical ones, like a very obvious childhood friend maybe-love-interest, a male buddy and an exotic warrior woman, but so far they are not pushing the cliches in any aggressive manner.

Needless to say that animation looks amazing. And it's not just the flashbang scenes, but rather the casual approach to quality in every single little scene. I'd write it off to First Episode Syndrome for now, but color me impressed nevertheless.

I also liked how their stereotypical "Japanese" setting is constantly offset by these little otherworldly differences here and there. It's very usual, but at the same time unusual. It feels like it takes place in Japan, but there are enough peculiarities that it won't be another alternative world adventure.

In any case, this show is huge. I am kind of sad because I hate crowded threads and this thread is gonna be crowded, but at the same time I really want to discuss this series a lot. It's just so rich. There is so much in that first episode, so many details to be engrossed over.

An excellent start. Now, BONES, continue with this feature film level of presentation and character building.
It's not going to be crowded if people aren't going to have any way of seeing it. At the very least it will be touch and go for the next few days.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 18:11   Link #235
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm very, very impressed with the first episode. I mean you watch all these new shows that have just started to air, though nothing made me "wow" that many times like the first episode did. I haven't "wow'd" like that since the first episode of Gurren Lagann last year.

Another wow goes towards Michiru Oshima's score. I was blown away with the first piece used.

It is a shame actually, 'cause many people are going to be missing out on what could be the best show of this year. Can't wait for more.
Old 2008-07-16, 18:46   Link #236
zalem

Definitely the best new show of the Summer season. Let's hope they keep it up. I'd love to get my hands on a higher quality version so I can enjoy the animation even more. Hope they don't take too long to release dvds and blu-rays for this.
Old 2008-07-16, 18:49   Link #237
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Oh this is quite funny --- i noticed that Haru looks a lot like Shirley from Code Geass, and as i thought while watching the first episode, they both share the same seiyuu, Fumiko Orikasa.

Crazy.
Old 2008-07-16, 18:58   Link #238
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Oh this is quite funny --- i noticed that Haru looks a lot like Shirley from Code Geass, and as i thought while watching the first episode, they both share the same seiyuu, Fumiko Orikasa.

Crazy.
I thought the same thing actually. And then when she spoke I was like "that voice is familiar..."

Didn't realize it was the same VA.
Old 2008-07-16, 22:33   Link #239
icealchemist
troll4hire
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to icealchemist Send a message via MSN to icealchemist
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Definitely the best new show of the Summer season. Let's hope they keep it up. I'd love to get my hands on a higher quality version so I can enjoy the animation even more. Hope they don't take too long to release dvds and blu-rays for this.
There is amazing thing called money that lets you get your hands on a higher quality version.
icealchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 22:39   Link #240
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by icealchemist View Post
There is amazing thing called money that lets you get your hands on a higher quality version.
Ah yes not everyone's packters are as deep as yours I am sorry to say, though I am very excited about Bonen's Xamdou, I find it a little hard to shell out $404 + tax for 1 1080p episode of this great series.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones