AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-06-16, 10:30   Link #1
_Riku_

Starwars Galaxies Free Trial 14 Days ! :d

http://www.fileplanet.com/download.aspx?f=140938

enjoy
_Riku_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 18:53   Link #2
DAK

Send a message via ICQ to DAK Send a message via AIM to DAK Send a message via MSN to DAK Send a message via Yahoo to DAK
oh my... eewies.. unless it's really improved since the beta.. be afraid, be very afraid.
DAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 19:05   Link #3
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Question

I may be wrong but wouldn't this be better in the Games forum? Then the followers can flock and be in awe or be in shame .
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 09:11   Link #4
Ending

I wouldn't touch any "trial" game -especially if it's a online game.

-If it is good, it will be disappointing to have to leave it after the trial.

-If it is bad, then why even bother with it?
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 11:17   Link #5
Tron Bonne
Rockman Lover

Thumbs up

I play SWG, I have played since day one. The game has improved quite a bit and is only getting better. Within the next two month's the Jedi will be here, as well as many more qust involing Jedi verus Bounty Hunters.

I play on Bria, as a Master Tailor/Pikeman, my name is Shame, stop by my shop if you are on Naboo.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 16:18   Link #6
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne
I play SWG, I have played since day one. The game has improved quite a bit and is only getting better. Within the next two month's the Jedi will be here, as well as many more qust involing Jedi verus Bounty Hunters.

I play on Bria, as a Master Tailor/Pikeman, my name is Shame, stop by my shop if you are on Naboo.
I'm sorry, but short of some really REALLY good things done with the Space expansion this winter, I won't be playing SWG that I can see....

I too was in the beta and the crap they pulled was just unbelievable! The "final" game that was released was not only at least 4-6 months premature, but it was also a pale shadow of the original design document shown to us 2 years before. They listened to the whiners on the board that hadn't even played the game so much, that it was just pre-nerfed into crappiness before it was even released. Not to mention Player-cities were scrapped from release and it took them what? Like 6-8 months after release to finally implement them? And I bet its not even the full functionality that they promised before.

A great example of why SWG sucks(or sucked at least if they fixed this):
I was a Master Tailor and Master Teras Kasi in beta3. They had resource issues during this time such that key types of metals were missing from the game that allowed people to craft Rank3 and 4 blasters. So this means everyone was stuck with Rank2 weapons (Rank4 was best). Meanwhile the Teras Kasi Artist(TKA) were the only melee profession out of the four (other three were Fencer, Two-Handed, and One-Handed I think) that were actually usable.

TKAs only had one weapon craftable: Rank1 Vibro-knuckles. These let them do around 300-800damage with a combo (which cost them like 200 health and action points to execute). So it took 2 combos to kill someone at melee range (hurting yourself 300-400/1200 health in the process). This was, of course, an outrage to all the ranged weapon people.... thats not fair that a TKA -- said to be able to rival a JEDI in combat -- can automatically beat a ranged person in 2-3 rounds in melee! The ranged person should still have a chance to win at melee range they shouted!

Nevermind the fact that they can shoot you from RANGE for like 600-800 a shot with a rifle AND they can run away from you while firing -- and if they run you WILL NOT catch them ... meanwhile they just kite you firing over their back until you are dead. But no, its an outrage that if we manage to actually make it to them that they should die.... plus with the latency of the game even if you are running against their back with them you cannot actually hit them until they stop moving.
There WAS a technique called Lunge that could stop them for like 3 secs and did around 200dmg (at the cost of around 150dmg action to yourself) -- but of course this was nerfed by SOE as well because its just not fair that a melee can prevent a ranged guy from actually running away so they can't get hurt! Instead Lunge did ONE dmg and took like 200dmg action away from the TKA and only stopped them for like 1 second.
Same thing with a technique called Knockdown -- you could leg sweep the person which dropped them to the ground and for the 2 secs it took them to get up they couldnt fire. Of course it was nerfed so they can fire their weapon while sprawled out on the ground with no consequences.

Then the real coup de grace -- TKA were deemed too powerful so their overall damage output was dropped by nearly 50% and many combat techniques increased in damage to yourself to use. THEN they introduce the metals and everyone gets Rank4 weapons boosting their blaster damage considerably!

To top it all off they promised that they learned from companies of the past and would NOT release the game before it was ready. NOT! Beta testers as a collective were absolutely dumbfounded when SOE announced to us 10 days before release, that the game was Gold and would come out on June 26th... General consensus of the beta testers at the time was that the game was coming along nicely and would have a great release around October-Dec of last year. We could not fathom how they could release the game with the huge glaring bugs and missing gameplay parts. Hell, just 2-4 weeks before release they were having HUGE database problems with the game where no items were saving, stuff was disappearing, etc. These issues still weren't totally resolved by release either.

In those last 10 days after announcing the Gold status (meaning testing was basically over) they turned the game totally upside down. Massive nerfs were made across the board to many elements of the game. Including a 2-5x increase in experience needed for all professions. I could do a whole other rant on crafting issues from my Tailor and friends Medic too :P How they reduced the extraction rate by 75%, lowered Lots per account to almost nothing, etc.

The ONLY way I might play again is if they did the Space Expan REALLY well. I'm talking a very large space map where you can go find your own asteroid somewhere to mine that doesn't run dry in 2 days, and build a customizable base there that you can walk around in etc. Ships that you can switch between "House" and Pilot mode, that can be customized with stuff on the inside like a House, and have addons/customize weapons, shields, etc. And the combat should be 50% Twitch at least. People should be able to be space pirates if they want. Smugglers should be able to actually SMUGGLE STUFF FINALLY. Bounty Hunters get actual HUMANS TO HUNT with skills to track them accordingly. There should be a feel of an actually Galactic Civil War finally! Not having bases wantonly spawning in the middle of nowhere like on the planets that consist of 3 storm troopers and a tent.... or Imperial and Alliance bases that spawn next to each other and do nothing....

They dropped the ball so badly on the ground game that I just don't see this as possible though .... the space game will be just as uninvolved, non-warlike, and carebear/no-consequences as the Main game. I was never even a PK in UO, but I realized that they were a needed part of the game for Good vs Evil and a little fun risk to traveling about. They could even keep "space lanes" in the expan that could be hyperspace routes that people could take that would be 90-100% safe. Or something like EVE had -- where the farther away from "civilization" you get, the longer a response time and less "guards" that come to your aid if attacked.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 17:22   Link #7
Tron Bonne
Rockman Lover

How long have you been gone? The resource problem has been fixed for a while now. TKA was nerfed, but ranged players have been getting balanced. The only broken melee class is my class, Pikeman. I was a CH, so I don't need to be told how bad the nerfs were, I also played a Master Doctor. I hated dealing with players. They thought I was there only to do what they needed. I took a couple month break. Things have improved. There are quests that work, new items, even for TKA. The Jedi have been reworked. This month the Jedi class is fixed. Next month the way to become a Jedi is changed.
Old 2004-06-17, 17:35   Link #8
Ending

...And that AFTER the game had been published as a *commercial* product.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 19:12   Link #9
JediNight
キズランダム

You missed the point Tron... I'm saying that the design team was grossly incompetent and misleading releasing the game when they did. And that the whole experience totally turned off a TON of beta testers from ever getting the game at release.

Like I said, if I like the space expansion I will consider picking it up if WOW isn't out soon. But I wasn't about to pay for a year of beta testing and deal with everything they intentional lied to us about and nerfed.

Having 10 Lots is/was rediculous. You had like a small house and a factory and that left you with like 1 or maybe 2 small extractors that pulled only 2Kg/hr each. Plus lets say you wanted to replace those 2 small ones with a medium ... it would require like 1 full week of extraction to get the resources to build it. Then to build the large took like 1 month of resources or something rediculous like that.

It used to be 8KG for small, 12KG for med and like 16 or 20 for large if my memory serves me right. There was basically no point in having a factory anymore, because you could craft an entire days worth of resources by hand in like 10 mins.

And are you telling me the TKA got nerfed even MORE after release?

The (extremely STUPID) reason that harvesters and lots got nerfed was that there was like 200 Lots for everyone at first and everything was 1 Lot. Plus there was no power or maintenance costs in the game yet either. On top of this the resources would run out in a matter of real life days -- So people went hogwild building like 30 small extractors each to haul out as much of the good veins/resources as possible before it was gone. So then they totally overreact and limit it to 10 Lots with everything but small extractors taking multiple lots AND cutting extraction by 75% .... a large extracting 8KG is rediculous for how massive it is and how many resources to build. It also took like 3-4 lots which defeated the purpose of making anything but smalls.

What they SHOULD have done was to wipe out all extractors, add in maintenance and power costs, fix the resource spawn times and THEN see what people do and adjust the lots then accordingly to something fair like 30 lets say.

It wasn't just the bugs -- it was the bugs AND the deceit AND the incompetence in handling balancing and bug fixes, etc that pissed everyone off. Plus for me personally, the game isn't Star Wars .... there is no war in Starwars. Everything is so carebear and without real consequences or effects that its pointless. The only "war" was the pathetic zergfests that would roll over a town killing a few helpless enemy faction members and then camping every shuttle terminal to kill them as they loaded into town...

The original design document made for Truce areas(no fighting at all), Safe areas(only faction fights), and far outside of towns were Wild areas that were anything goes so-to-speak BUT there was consequences set in place for PKing mindlessly. The best part though was that resources were NOT planetwide -- there was a REAL REASON to go out surveying -- the best mineral veins would be out in the wild lands and you could find one and secure it with your own laser turrets etc to prevent others from mining off of it. Think of how many seedy characters are in the Movies and Books .... theres nothing like that in SWG -- Smugglers cant smuggle, Bounty Hunters are very limited, space expansion will come out and I highly doubt anyone will be able to be a space pirate with their fleet of Uglies etc .... its just a really pathetic implementation that was ruined by carebears who didn't want to play "YOUR game" talking to anyone who was for anything but pure no PvP ..... which in the same tune forces everyone else to play THEIR game, which is only a pale shadow of what could have been a truly great game.

Have fun being killed by a butterfly :P
Old 2004-06-17, 19:55   Link #10
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

SWG is a trial version.

Most trying experience I ever had with an MMO. Not just me, either.

http://www.netjak.com/review.php/363
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 20:11   Link #11
Tron Bonne
Rockman Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
You missed the point Tron... I'm saying that the design team was grossly incompetent and misleading releasing the game when they did. And that the whole experience totally turned off a TON of beta testers from ever getting the game at release.

Like I said, if I like the space expansion I will consider picking it up if WOW isn't out soon. But I wasn't about to pay for a year of beta testing and deal with everything they intentional lied to us about and nerfed.

Having 10 Lots is/was rediculous. You had like a small house and a factory and that left you with like 1 or maybe 2 small extractors that pulled only 2Kg/hr each. Plus lets say you wanted to replace those 2 small ones with a medium ... it would require like 1 full week of extraction to get the resources to build it. Then to build the large took like 1 month of resources or something rediculous like that.

It used to be 8KG for small, 12KG for med and like 16 or 20 for large if my memory serves me right. There was basically no point in having a factory anymore, because you could craft an entire days worth of resources by hand in like 10 mins.

And are you telling me the TKA got nerfed even MORE after release?

The (extremely STUPID) reason that harvesters and lots got nerfed was that there was like 200 Lots for everyone at first and everything was 1 Lot. Plus there was no power or maintenance costs in the game yet either. On top of this the resources would run out in a matter of real life days -- So people went hogwild building like 30 small extractors each to haul out as much of the good veins/resources as possible before it was gone. So then they totally overreact and limit it to 10 Lots with everything but small extractors taking multiple lots AND cutting extraction by 75% .... a large extracting 8KG is rediculous for how massive it is and how many resources to build. It also took like 3-4 lots which defeated the purpose of making anything but smalls.

What they SHOULD have done was to wipe out all extractors, add in maintenance and power costs, fix the resource spawn times and THEN see what people do and adjust the lots then accordingly to something fair like 30 lets say.

It wasn't just the bugs -- it was the bugs AND the deceit AND the incompetence in handling balancing and bug fixes, etc that pissed everyone off. Plus for me personally, the game isn't Star Wars .... there is no war in Starwars. Everything is so carebear and without real consequences or effects that its pointless. The only "war" was the pathetic zergfests that would roll over a town killing a few helpless enemy faction members and then camping every shuttle terminal to kill them as they loaded into town...

The original design document made for Truce areas(no fighting at all), Safe areas(only faction fights), and far outside of towns were Wild areas that were anything goes so-to-speak BUT there was consequences set in place for PKing mindlessly. The best part though was that resources were NOT planetwide -- there was a REAL REASON to go out surveying -- the best mineral veins would be out in the wild lands and you could find one and secure it with your own laser turrets etc to prevent others from mining off of it. Think of how many seedy characters are in the Movies and Books .... theres nothing like that in SWG -- Smugglers cant smuggle, Bounty Hunters are very limited, space expansion will come out and I highly doubt anyone will be able to be a space pirate with their fleet of Uglies etc .... its just a really pathetic implementation that was ruined by carebears who didn't want to play "YOUR game" talking to anyone who was for anything but pure no PvP ..... which in the same tune forces everyone else to play THEIR game, which is only a pale shadow of what could have been a truly great game.

Have fun being killed by a butterfly :P
Believe me I understand, lol. I'm giving it one last chance with the Jedi update. So far a lot of problems have been fixed. It took way too long, the morons who created this mess should have been fired. But at least the game is starting to come around. TKA's weren't nerfed again, other classes were balanced, believe me there was much whining from the range classes, it was so nice. The plots and all that are better, but I have two TKA brothers protecting and suporting me, so I don't have to worry about factories. I can buy what I need.

PVP is a mess, I have never liked how they did it. It's seems to have improved, but I also quit any classes that have to deal with it. As a doctor I was PKed non-stop by MTKA's and MBH's and MComando's...losers! Then they whined when I refused to heal they, lol. I was a rebel.
Old 2004-06-17, 20:25   Link #12
JediNight
キズランダム

Did they ever do anything about Medics and Docters medpacks at all? I remember my Doctor friend complaining how you needed like 4-8 different resources and a factory to produce the Rank4 health packs and such. And of course he never really got compensated for jack when using them in a group Plus all the time it takes to monkey around making those packs just to play your class...
Old 2004-06-17, 20:56   Link #13
Tron Bonne
Rockman Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
Did they ever do anything about Medics and Docters medpacks at all? I remember my Doctor friend complaining how you needed like 4-8 different resources and a factory to produce the Rank4 health packs and such. And of course he never really got compensated for jack when using them in a group Plus all the time it takes to monkey around making those packs just to play your class...
I don't think med resources have changed, but resources have been improved. Factories are still needed for meds. It sucks, but it is part of crafting. But there are many shops that sell crates, I buy most my tailor resources. Playing a doctor is not easy. People can treat you like dirt or their slave. They don't see why they have to tip, because as they say "We make your exp." I told someone who said that to me to blow off and get your wounds healed by someone else. No one else would. I said we don't need you, we can go get the heck beat out of us, and let each other heal ourselves. It cost a lot of money to keep you healed. If you want healed you pay.
Old 2007-09-18, 11:46   Link #14
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
I don't think med resources have changed, but resources have been improved. Factories are still needed for meds. It sucks, but it is part of crafting. But there are many shops that sell crates, I buy most my tailor resources. Playing a doctor is not easy. People can treat you like dirt or their slave. They don't see why they have to tip, because as they say "We make your exp." I told someone who said that to me to blow off and get your wounds healed by someone else. No one else would. I said we don't need you, we can go get the heck beat out of us, and let each other heal ourselves. It cost a lot of money to keep you healed. If you want healed you pay.
Well that was Pre CU when the game was acually good...If anyone has played it recently the game sucks...and yey I sill play it for some reason...They took doctor our....YOu can now only have one profession...and If you wana be a medic...your just a combat medic...And what ticks me off is running around and seeing a freakin lvl 26 with a lightsaber....then they go and say "WOOT I PWN YOU ALL"...I mean...took me 16 weeks to get to Jedi then on top of all that, Avoiding the BH's while going through those horrible trials and everything...and all we get in return are some stupid elder robes and the pointless force ghost that you don't get any kinda benifits from? It's like WTF??? All the resorces have improved alot, I mean alot...Pre CU the greatest crafting station in teh game was a 4.999 (Somethin like that XD) My dad and his friend where the only ones that had it cause during one weekend where you could make some awsome stat stuff they made it right when SOE was closing it off and made it in a glitch and got these epic crafting stations...SOE wanted them out...They could not be traded to anyone or they would automaticaly be destroyed...SOE sent my dad an email saying that after they got in this huge argument about how they screwd up, and My dad made it on time and they should be able to keep them...Now those crafting stations are common. Plus, You earn XP by quests and not hunting which sucks even more...Pre CU you go to Dantooin and there where hundreds of people there...You go there now...you;ll be lucky to see one person...The game sucks now...But as I play more and more, I realzie that some of the things are going back to Pre CU...I mean...The Beast Mastery Expertice tree...That's a rip off of Creature Handling...but maybe they'll be putting it back...And I dunno, I haven't been on in a couple weeks cause my computer needs more RAM to play it...but I heard in Chapter 7 or 8 or what not they are bringing back the Jedi Villiage, and every Jedi that is not a lvl 90 has to choos a differnt profession cause their bringing the tirals back ...Hopefully they do....but you know SOE...you can never know (Wow...Ironic much?)
siya is offline   Reply With Quote