AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2012-03-23, 14:00   Link #7841
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

well that was disappointing.
Old 2012-03-23, 14:32   Link #7842
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Gajeel not having reached this certain point that makes him a true DS is kind of BS. I mean...Natsu has been weak to transportations since he was young...so is Mashima saying that Gajeel is now as strong as a young pre-start of the series Natsu? >_>

Well whatever, I can live with it...atleast no Cana this chapter, this pleased me.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 15:31   Link #7843
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The story, plot and even characters themselves are going horribly inconsistent with lots of nakama power cop outs and flat out ridiculous plot mechanics. Mashima's not just trolling, he's being plain untruthful to the readers.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 15:40   Link #7844
HiddenMessage
Tofu Driver

This chapter had quite the Lulz feel to it. Alot of priceless O_O expressions. Too bad those Devil fruit eaters couldn't resist motion sickness. Or was it Dragon Slayers that can't swim. I forgot
Yay for FT comeback!!
HiddenMessage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 18:17   Link #7845
sergel02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post

Well whatever, I can live with it...atleast no Cana this chapter, this pleased me.
You really don't like Cana do you?

About the Gajeel thing, uhh, i guess maybe Mashima is saying that. It seemed to random tho. I wouldn't take it too seriously unless it comes up again.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 18:21   Link #7846
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Maybe Natsu's "lessons" with Igneel were just further ahead of what Metallica taught Gajeel, so his body wasn't fully "adapted" to the Dragon Slayer magic, and Gajeel's self training not only made him more powerful, but also made him more "dragon-like." We know Wendy still has two major Sky Magic spells to learn, but we really don't know much Gajeel's training.

I would note that Natsu is the only one of the Dragon Slayers to undergo "Dragon Force," so its possible he really is the most advanced of the Fairy Tail dragon slayers in their brand of magic.

Then again, it could all just be the "rule of funny."
Old 2012-03-23, 18:53   Link #7847
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The story, plot and even characters themselves are going horribly inconsistent with lots of nakama power cop outs and flat out ridiculous plot mechanics. Mashima's not just trolling, he's being plain untruthful to the readers.
I don't entirely agree, but I do feel this came out of nowhere a bit. It is one of the few times I'm a bit disappointed in Mashima. Laxus could and would hide it, but Gajeel was on the boat to Tenroujima and seemed fine. So it does seem like a retcon and I really dislike those. I'm hoping this is quickly forgotten and never mentioned again, but if he does have a reason, he better make it clear.

Or maybe Wendy secretly cast her spell on Gajeel as well during the boat trip and made her promise not to tell anyone.

At any rate, Mashima has done a decent job up until now, so even if this is ultimately a negative, it's one of very few that I can let pass.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 19:03   Link #7848
Slayerx

Kinda of funny, but ultimately very disappointing... the sudden "all dragon slayers suffer motion sickness" Seems like such a massive ass pull.

and really... Who knew what would happen in a competition called Chariot?
A chariot is a type of horse drawn carriage often used in races; as in a type of vehicle... Sure You don't know what the competition might entail, but because of that, your safest bet would be to take the name literally and work based off that assumption instead of just picking randomly. In this case, the name alone hints that it would be some kind of vehicle race. That suspicion alone should have been enough for them to not chance sending out someone with motion sickness... Sure you might be wrong to assume that, but better to be wrong assuming the obvious than ignoring the obvious to go with a random guess

Based on the name alone I probably would have sent out either Erza or Elfman for Fairy tail A and either Laxus or Mira from Fairy Tail B... they are the four I feel who would be the most versatile for some kind of race and aren't hampered down by motion sickness

Last edited by Slayerx; 2012-03-23 at 19:40.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 19:18   Link #7849
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Kinda of funny, but ultimately very disappointing... the sudden "all dragon slayers suffer motion sickness" Seems like such a massive ass pull.

and really... "Who knew what would happen in a competition called Chariot"?
A chariot is a type of horse drawn carriage often used in races; as in a type of vehicle... Sure You don't know what the competition might entail, but because of that, your safest bet would be to take the name literally and work based off that assumption instead of just picking randomly. In this case, the name alone hints that it would be some kind of vehicle race. That suspicion alone should have been enough for them to not chance sending out someone with motion sickness... Sure you might be wrong to assume that, but better to be wrong assuming the obvious than ignoring the obvious to go with a random guess

Based on the name alone I probably would have sent out either Erza or Elfman for Fairy tail A and either Laxus or Mira from Fairy Tail B... they are the four I feel who would be the most versatile for some kind of race and aren't hampered down by motion sickness
As Lucy said "You could have guessed what would happen just from the name 'chariot' can't you?", and by Erza's comments, Natsu insisted on going out no matter what anyways, and there was no arguing with him.

So with Natsu going out, Sting likely went out because he wanted the chance to compete directly with Natsu. And with those two going out Gajeel went out for the same reason as Sting, and because he'd never had problems with motion sickness before. And by Laxus's comment, he didn't go out because he did have problems with motion sickness.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 22:00   Link #7850
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
You really don't like Cana do you?
I shall never forgive her. Now I skip chapters if I notice her presence (like last chapter)

However...more MILF Biska, this pleased me as well.
Old 2012-03-24, 00:27   Link #7851
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Gajeel not having reached this certain point that makes him a true DS is kind of BS. I mean...Natsu has been weak to transportations since he was young...so is Mashima saying that Gajeel is now as strong as a young pre-start of the series Natsu? >_>
Yeah, this somewhat irked me as well.

On the other hand, maybe Gajeel can finally eat magic now. I've noticed so far that Natsu has been the only one who could essentially eat other magic (Etherion, lightning), albeit with side effects and was wondering while Gajeel and Wendy couldn't.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 00:49   Link #7852
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Yeah, this somewhat irked me as well.

On the other hand, maybe Gajeel can finally eat magic now. I've noticed so far that Natsu has been the only one who could essentially eat other magic (Etherion, lightning), albeit with side effects and was wondering while Gajeel and Wendy couldn't.
It's not that they couldn't, it's just that they never have been shown to try it. So they might have been able to do it at the same time as Natsu.
Old 2012-03-24, 00:56   Link #7853
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Yes, Mashima did recton Gajeel a little bit. All in all, I don't think it's that serious of a retcon, I guess he thought of somthing either cool and/or funny in addition so he's fixing it before he gets deeper into the story.

Even when writing a story, not everything goes as planned on the brainstorming sheet. Let's see what he does with it (the motion sickness weakness) before we decide if the retcon is a good one or not. I still don't know why Laxus would get that way though...but it would explain him walking everywhere and using his lightning to teleport... And of course Cobra was riding on his flying snake (forgot her name) so that conveniently explains that one... I still don't like the idea of Wendy eventually getting motion sickness...

Still, knowing that even Sting gets that way...
Old 2012-03-24, 05:41   Link #7854
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
At any rate, Mashima has done a decent job up until now, so even if this is ultimately a negative, it's one of very few that I can let pass.
The manga has been fine all the way until Edolas arc for me, where it seems that things start to go too easy and inconsistent. Like Lucy didn't know why she could use magic, later revealed that she ate X-balls, which is the instant cure for Earthland magic usage, it was such a cop out that even fan speculations came up with much more interesting ways to solve the magic seal.

After that Nakama power went through the roof in Tenrou and characters behave terribly especially Kana. And in the end we have that time skip which would have been ok if there were actual developments and proper establishments of what happened in the 7 years. Mashima expects us to believe that Fairy tail would endure 7 years of abuse from Twilight Ogre without retaliating even though Max was stronger than Natsu now and could probably even defeat Twilight Ogre by himself.

And in this 'Grand Magic Tournament', an event similar an Olympics of magic, has seemingly no ways to prevent cheating. Are we supposed to believe that Gray is so weak that he couldn't get a single point? In the whole stadium there are at least 3 Wizard Saint level mages and many S class mages and yet no one could sense or even see the piece of hair around Asuka except for Lucy who's the furthest Fairy Tail member from her. And then the same powerful mages couldn't sense who or what stole Lucy's magic and she didn't complain about it either.

There were so much terrible writing going on that even though this retcon of all so called 'real/ true/ matured' Dragonslayers are weak to vehicles is so bad, it still wasn't as cheesy as most things in the previous 50 chapters.

Old 2012-03-24, 06:10   Link #7855
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
After that Nakama power went through the roof in Tenrou
The only part that rubbed me the wrong way was Erza's final strike against Azuma...and Kana's glitter :P
Quote:
Are we supposed to believe that Gray is so weak that he couldn't get a single point?
That's what happens when you get focused in a free for all, not really a matter of weakness...
Quote:
And then the same powerful mages couldn't sense who or what stole Lucy's magic and she didn't complain about it either.
I'll hold back until we find out about Obra's magic. To be fair, Lucy was casting high-class magic, it can't be easy to control, so that adds some room for doubt about what could have happened (in the minds of the audience and announcers). Yajima did seem to notice though...

I don't see why people are so pissed at Gajeel starting to get motion sickness (at which he handwaved in the chapter) , it doesn't mean he was any weaker beforehand and Sting is not the most credible source of information either...
Quote:
Even when writing a story, not everything goes as planned on the brainstorming sheet. Let's see what he does with it (the motion sickness weakness) before we decide if the retcon is a good one or not.
This, for now.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 06:21   Link #7856
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well Natsu's vehicle sickness was a unique character quirk of him and now given to all the Drgaonslayers, it doesn't just cheapen his character, but all of them, especially Gajeel. Now he's telling us that Gajeel wasn't as much of a Dragonslayer as Natsu and even Laxus.

Old 2012-03-24, 06:24   Link #7857
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Just like a cold, you don't have to be "stronger" or "weaker" to catch one.
Old 2012-03-24, 06:54   Link #7858
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Just like a cold, you don't have to be "stronger" or "weaker" to catch one.
It would be more agreeable if Gajeel didn't get vehicle sickness after training to become stronger.

Old 2012-03-24, 10:13   Link #7859
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Probably just a way to get all three of them a chance to talk and for the masses to give some support to Fairy Tail and their 'pure spirit'. For all we know, towards the end of the arc something massive happens and the audience will all band together to support a losing Fairy Tail. Just saying.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 10:25   Link #7860
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The manga has been fine all the way until Edolas arc for me, where it seems that things start to go too easy and inconsistent. Like Lucy didn't know why she could use magic, later revealed that she ate X-balls, which is the instant cure for Earthland magic usage, it was such a cop out that even fan speculations came up with much more interesting ways to solve the magic seal.
I'll agree with that point, in that it was handled badly. Not a major issue to me, though, all things considered. I do expect some mistakes in any series. I will say that I do have a limit, though, and if too many slip through such that it goes beyond my limit, my like of a series goes down.

Quote:
After that Nakama power went through the roof in Tenrou and characters behave terribly especially Kana. And in the end we have that time skip which would have been ok if there were actual developments and proper establishments of what happened in the 7 years. Mashima expects us to believe that Fairy tail would endure 7 years of abuse from Twilight Ogre without retaliating even though Max was stronger than Natsu now and could probably even defeat Twilight Ogre by himself.
I don't see a problem with Cana myself; people who are under emotional duress, can tend to behave irrationally. Yes, she acted badly, but it was a great character moment for her. It showcases that not all of our heroes are immaculate do-gooders 100% of the time, and that they can mess up.

Nakama power, well, I'll just say that the series has basically established that Nakama power translates to something real in this world. It's an interesting take. I mean, it's usually a staple in shonen series, so Fairy Tail is just making it a bit more literal.

Lastly, regarding Twilight Ogre, remember that we have issues of quality vs. quantity. Twilight Ogre was a bigger guild, and might have had stronger members (and probably did). By the time it got to the point where TO was revealed to be douchebags regarding the money, FT was likely fairly small and TO was much bigger. Even if Max could take down those five guys, there is more to consider. That is, TO as a whole was more powerful than FT as a whole. Also, they could put even more pressure by threatening Romeo, ie, "don't cross us or something might happen to your son, Macao."

Once Makarov and the S-class mages returned, though, the power tipped back in favor of FT. Also, the council frowns on combat between guilds, and Macao simply may not have chosen to risk it, given that FT was shrinking; it could have been forced to disband.

Quote:
And in this 'Grand Magic Tournament', an event similar an Olympics of magic, has seemingly no ways to prevent cheating. Are we supposed to believe that Gray is so weak that he couldn't get a single point? In the whole stadium there are at least 3 Wizard Saint level mages and many S class mages and yet no one could sense or even see the piece of hair around Asuka except for Lucy who's the furthest Fairy Tail member from her. And then the same powerful mages couldn't sense who or what stole Lucy's magic and she didn't complain about it either.
I'll partially grant this, which leaves us with the possible conclusion that the Tournament organizers are in on the cheating. Remember, from the audience perspective, Lucy just failed to cast her spell, thus would be hard to prove cheating. Maybe Lucy herself felt she just failed and thus deserved the loss.

As for the hair thing, I think it would be expected that the audience would assume some risk by watching it live, and it was Lucy's choice to not fight back when the girl was threatened.

As far as Gray goes, his contest wasn't about strength. He simply failed. His opponent, the RT guy, apparently had a way to track Gray that we aren't aware of yet, mostly because we don't know his magic. But RT has entered this contest (and suddenly been approved as a legit guild?) purely to humiliate FT. They don't care about winning, as long as FT is humiliated. I gather RT and the tournament are working together in that respect, or that some kind of deal has been made. I'm fairly confident it will all be explained. My theory is that the tournament is using RT as a diversion to hide it's aims. Or that RT is using the tournament for that dark purpose.

Quote:
There were so much terrible writing going on that even though this retcon of all so called 'real/ true/ matured' Dragonslayers are weak to vehicles is so bad, it still wasn't as cheesy as most things in the previous 50 chapters.
I'll have to disagree, due to the above. I haven't really had strong issues with any of the arcs thus far, and this arc is far from done, so there is much left to explain. I will agree that this DS-motion-sickness thing feels like a bad retcon, but I'm waiting to see what is done with it. If this arc ends without it being really explained, then I'll have an issue with it. Even if explained, I do feel it steals from Natsu's character to be the only one with motion sickness.

At first, I almost thought it might be something to do with how particular dragons bestowed their magic on their students, if Wendy was the only one without and also being much younger. Did the other dragons, or Grandiny, do something different with regards to their pupils? The Edolas Wendy was much older, so it feels like Grandiny might have done something that froze Wendy in time a bit, thus saving her from getting the motion-sickness aspect.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen