AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-24, 15:38   Link #1501
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Ooh, I made in amazing discovery today, fairly cool Easter Egg, on Disk 1, if you keep it on the second page of the extras menu, for a bit, it starts showing security camera footage of Haruhi and "John Smith" drawing their lines at the school. It's really long, I think it's supposed to be real time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
That would probably be the same footage they put on the internet a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken, you can actually see some buildings change as the clip goes along.

Still, nice find, that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSIDR View Post
This was also on the Japanese Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody disc^^.
Since it was on the "regular edition" R2 disc, it's not surprising that they put the security camera footage on the disc.

I didn't want to ruin the surprise for everyone who got the set, so that's why I didn't comment on it earlier. It still annoys me that Bandai/Bang Zoom set the disc to stretch the video to 853x480 instead of the 640x480 the R2 and the original video was set for. Both are on their discs in anamorphic widescreen, so it was possible to do so.

Comparison:
Bandai/Bang Zoom:

Kadokawa:

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-09-24 at 16:34.
Old 2010-11-30, 22:33   Link #1502
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

I've decided on watching the 2009 version of Haruhi in chronological order (all 28 episodes). The airing order seems me too chaotic

I've got a question about that "Endless Eight" arc. Is it really eight episodes of all the same stuff, just slightly different each time?
If so, doesn't it get boring? Should I watch this, or should I better skip it?
Please impart me with your wisdom, Haruhi experts
Old 2010-11-30, 23:16   Link #1503
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
I've got a question about that "Endless Eight" arc. Is it really eight episodes of all the same stuff, just slightly different each time?
If so, doesn't it get boring? Should I watch this, or should I better skip it?
Please impart me with your wisdom, Haruhi experts
Oh boy, here we go...

Spoiler for Endless Eight Arc:

Incidentally, when watching the 2009 rendition of Haruhi, there is only one order -- the way it aired on TV, R2 DVDs (when the two seasons are assembled), and on the BD Boxset. The 2006 airing had a different broadcast over, but the 2009 repackaging basically renders that moot, unless you wanted to try the original 2006 experience again. For all intents and purposes, the show makes most sense as a lead-in to the movie when watched as shown in 2009 (and that is arguably the primary reason for the 2009 re-launch).
Old 2010-12-01, 13:19   Link #1504
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Oh boy, here we go...

Spoiler for Endless Eight Arc:
Yes, I've already heard there was some controversy about it... hence my asking here.
I think I'll watch the first two episodes of it and then see if I want more of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Incidentally, when watching the 2009 rendition of Haruhi, there is only one order -- the way it aired on TV, R2 DVDs (when the two seasons are assembled), and on the BD Boxset. The 2006 airing had a different broadcast over, but the 2009 repackaging basically renders that moot, unless you wanted to try the original 2006 experience again. For all intents and purposes, the show makes most sense as a lead-in to the movie when watched as shown in 2009 (and that is arguably the primary reason for the 2009 re-launch).
The 2006 airing order is what I meant... it looks quite chaotic to me
Going by the 2009 order.

btw, I found that even Haruhi herself wears twintails, in Episode 1
Screenshots: http://yfrog.com/5mshot0809jx
Old 2010-12-01, 14:36   Link #1505
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

The thing about the 2006 order is that it pulls you through the episodes. You see an episode and want to see how it resolves, so you watch the next one. It doesn't answer your questions, so you watch the one after. Continue until you've been dragged all the way to the climax (which, in chronological order, is the sixth episode). Because the weaker episodes are buried between the stronger ones (the ones that advance the main plot), you don't feel so bad for having watched them.

The 2009 airing does just the opposite. There are a LOT of weak spots in the chronological order, like the Sigh arc and much of E8. Add those to the lackluster episodes in the original airing, and you have a series that just doesn't have the same punch that you remember. However, because everything is in order, the flow is much better, and you have a better, more fuller understanding of the series. "Someday in the Rain" doesn't generate the "end of show" dissonance that it did with the 2006 order, for example, because it's literally at the end this time. The pace is very much relaxed because you don't spend 13 episodes wondering how everything will work out. Instead, each episode is largely self-contained, and you keep watching because you like the characters, not because you feel compelled to.
Old 2010-12-01, 18:13   Link #1506
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I think the 2006 order was really how it was meant to be seen, while 2009 is more of a recap to let you connect the dots. For the most part the 2009 is largely optional, but watching the 2006 airing and then the 2009 original episodes may shine a few light bulbs here and there, and is the appeal of the series.

I also feel watching it like this, saves the best for the last, making both airings much more exciting.

So I'd definitely go with 2006 airing regardless; watch it the way most of us did.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-12-01, 20:01   Link #1507
brocko

I think you get the most out of the series with the 2006 broadcasting as well.

If you watch it in chronological order, you miss out on the 2006 broadcasting fun altogether. Forever. (well maybe if you come back and rewatch it 20 years later when your memory of the series is all but gone you can still experience it again lol).

Broadcasting order i feel generally doesn't spoil the chronological order as it does vice versa imo.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2010-12-06, 08:07   Link #1508
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I think the 2006 order was really how it was meant to be seen, while 2009 is more of a recap to let you connect the dots. For the most part the 2009 is largely optional, but watching the 2006 airing and then the 2009 original episodes may shine a few light bulbs here and there, and is the appeal of the series.
The screwy 2006 airing order served to mask the fact that the series has one good arc (Melancholy,) a good one-off (Live Alive) and a bunch of filler. It was a trick aimed at getting people to sit through the whole series; since after Melancholy, it's pretty much a desert of filler until you get to Live Alive.

I'd say that if the 2006 order was really how it was meant to be seen, then they'd have made it the default viewing order for the DVDs. I'd also say the real genius is that they didn't animate Endless Eight and Sighs in 2006; as Endless Eight pretty much deconstructs the notion that the SOS-dan is competent (or introduces too many questions about who really controls the universe,) and Sighs shows Haruhi at her absolute worst.

I just thought of an interesting thought experiment . . . watch the show in 2006 order. Don't watch Sighs or Endless Eight. Watch Disappearance after watching the show in 2006 order. Under which context does Disappearance make the most sense? In the chronological context, or in the 2006-order context?
Old 2010-12-06, 10:48   Link #1509
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
The screwy 2006 airing order served to mask the fact that the series has one good arc (Melancholy,) a good one-off (Live Alive) and a bunch of filler. It was a trick aimed at getting people to sit through the whole series; since after Melancholy, it's pretty much a desert of filler until you get to Live Alive.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
I just thought of an interesting thought experiment . . . watch the show in 2006 order. Don't watch Sighs or Endless Eight. Watch Disappearance after watching the show in 2006 order. Under which context does Disappearance make the most sense? In the chronological context, or in the 2006-order context?
Well, without E8, there's pretty much no reason for Disappearance. I admit that Sigh seems to clash like crazy, though it clashes with the rest of the series, too. Haruhi has always been mildly retarded, but Sigh turned it up to eleven. She displays a complete ignorance of storytelling, a crippling inability to evaluate the quality of her work, a total obliviousness to all the crazy stuff that Mikuru's contacts keep doing, and a staggering level of sociopathy that's worse than anywhere else in the show or books. And Kyon wants to go back to that? Yeah, okay.
Old 2010-12-06, 20:37   Link #1510
brocko

Hmm.... About that thought experiment, i don't think any of us would be elegible since it wouldn't be our first viewing of the series. However I do have a friend watching it for the first time ever.... .... in broadcast order.
So that's 2006 broadcast > Bamboo Leaf > Endless Eight > Sighs.
Lets see how much he'll understand (or lack) by the end of it lol

Thinking back on it though. Broadcast order really only does work for and upto season 1. When you take the 2009 episodes into account it all falls apart sadly enough

I might actually recommend watching just 2006 in broadcast order (so you don't lose out on the awesome gimmick lol), stop. Then rewatch the whole thing chronologically since the 2009 episodes don't fit into the jumbled mess too kindly. Although I'm sure how many people would be happy about rewatching 14 episodes again, so for those people chronologically from the start would be best I'd imagine =/

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2010-12-07 at 02:28.
Old 2010-12-09, 14:00   Link #1511
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I moved a bunch of the recent conversation to the Novel thread because it got into a more specific debate about the way content was presented in the novels that was outside the scope of this thread (which is about the 2009 Re-Launch, which does not include the Disappearance movie).

Tags
kadokawa, science fiction, shounen