AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 110 53.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 57 27.54%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 7.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 8.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.93%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.97%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-03, 23:18   Link #81
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Watched the Mazui deal. I shat my pants at "the scene." The animation was so good I almost cried.

9/10
Old 2009-09-03, 23:19   Link #82
sacundim

I don't think that the toned-down fight scene is as much of a loss as people are making out. The way I'd summarize that whole scene goes as follows:
Spoiler for episode:

I really don't think the scene is any worse than in the novel. In the novel version the hard smacks don't send Kyon over the edge; he holds Haruhi's arm in order to stop her from hitting Asahina anymore. What sends him over the edge is this:

Spoiler for Sighs novel:
Old 2009-09-03, 23:45   Link #83
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Saw the mazui one, though i can't recommend to see this version. Wait for a new one.

The only thing i can say about this episode is that i never saw Kyon being such an asshole. What's the deal with him? Such a big deal about little things. Haruhi was a brat and stuff, but trying to physically assault her is crazy...

Overall, it was a helluva nice episode, but i don't know, i like Koizumi, but when he starts to explain things i get bored all of sudden...
Old 2009-09-03, 23:49   Link #84
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Haruhi was a brat and stuff, but trying to physically assault her is crazy...

"I don't care if it's an animal or a person, but anyone who won't learn deserves to be taught a lesson, even if it means using my fists" (c) from elsewhere
Old 2009-09-04, 00:01   Link #85
Yushi

I never liked Haruhi much but after this episode.... >.> Bah!
Poor Mikuru D:
I'm a bit annoyed that Kyon had to be the one to make up when it should be HARUHI doing so. >=o Though to be fair, he didn't apologize, which is good
Old 2009-09-04, 00:01   Link #86
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

So I found myself leaning forward in my chair, my hands pressed to the sides of my neck, with tears starting in my eyes. Just what the FUCK is this show doing to me?

Really, really good episode. So good it makes me feel stupid for rating any other episode this season a perfect 10, because this one is better. Haruhi pissed me off, too, treating Mikuru that way, but then to see her so hurt and beautiful and angry, and the utter disbelief on her face, and everything else... It was all really wrenching. Go back and watch it again, and you realize how quickly and subtly the emotions flit across Haruhi's face. Amazing.

A classic.

Oh, and ponytail.
Old 2009-09-04, 00:13   Link #87
kniteowl

Great Episode, a 10 for me.

The Kyon/Haruhi conflict was portrayed quite well to me, I felt exactly the saem as Kyon when watching that scene.

I've reed the novels too, although that was like years ago so I don't remember the exact details when watching this episode but the anime only watchers will probably understand that scene quite well I reckon.
Old 2009-09-04, 00:24   Link #88
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ying View Post
Saw the mazui one, though i can't recommend to see this version. Wait for a new one.

The only thing i can say about this episode is that i never saw Kyon being such an asshole. What's the deal with him? Such a big deal about little things. Haruhi was a brat and stuff, but trying to physically assault her is crazy...

Overall, it was a helluva nice episode, but i don't know, i like Koizumi, but when he starts to explain things i get bored all of sudden...
The popular belief in parenting is that if you are going to punish your kids, make sure you tell them why exactly they are being punished. Haruhi, for all intent and purpose, is a child. Kyon's action, in this case, is appropriate considering he can recognize why Koizumi, Yuki, and Mikuru-chan (in her infinite cutesy way) have to tolerate Haruhi's abundant energy and go with her shinanigans. Kyon recognizes that they simply fear the implication that there are too much for them to lose.

I agree that he was going overboard, but something was needed to be done. I couldn't also help but notice how Koizumi did not interject when Kyon was pretty much shouting at her. Kyon did the job. He did not let her slide, but did not crush her enthusiasm altogether either. He made sure of that. We know it worked when the cherry blossoms were in full bloom.

Kyon was starting to become boring, but the episode has restored some of his charm that was found in the previous season. This was a good episode.
Old 2009-09-04, 00:37   Link #89
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This episode is getting a tremendous amount of hype and praise and while I was about to spend my time playing some Gihren's Greed I figure I ought to see this now and comment on the apparent return to greatness or whatever constitutes such a notion when it comes to this series, which has had more ups and downs then I can count. Realizing that no Kyoani created episode that has been highly praised has ever once lived up to it's hype in my eyes I am almost certain that I should be playing GG instead and that this will merely be passable (and thus should really wait like I usually do with my anime queues when it comes to Haruhi 2009), but I guess I'll play the almost certain sucker once again.

What's 25 or so minutes anyway......as long as it's halfway remotely decent I'll consider it time well spent. Quick download...here I go.... back in 25.

*crosses fingers and chants please don't be a waste of time*
Old 2009-09-04, 00:49   Link #90
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
The popular belief in parenting is that if you are going to punish your kids, make sure you tell them why exactly they are being punished. Haruhi, for all intent and purpose, is a child. Kyon's action, in this case, is appropriate considering he can recognize why Koizumi, Yuki, and Mikuru-chan (in her infinite cutesy way) have to tolerate Haruhi's abundant energy and go with her shinanigans. Kyon recognizes that they simply fear the implication that there are too much for them to lose.
I always interpreted Koizumi's expression when he stops Kyon from slugging Haruhi to mean "You fool! You'll doom us all!" (as in "seriously offend her and she'll reboot the world")
Old 2009-09-04, 00:53   Link #91
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Btw, is it me or did it look/feel like Haruhi was on the brink of crying when she was shouting?

禁則事項です
Old 2009-09-04, 00:57   Link #92
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
I always interpreted Koizumi's expression when he stops Kyon from slugging Haruhi to mean "You fool! You'll doom us all!" (as in "seriously offend her and she'll reboot the world")
Agreed. It becomes very apparent when Koizumi talks to Kyon a bit later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
Btw, is it me or did it look/feel like Haruhi was on the brink of crying when she was shouting?
She was stunned, that's for sure. The scene I thought she was going to cry was when Kyon came back and told her that she needed to finish this film. Then, she retains her usual form to my utter disappointment.
Old 2009-09-04, 01:13   Link #93
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Alright that was halfway decent so it was time well spent. The first half wasn't much to write home admittedly with it's continued behind the scenes style look at the episode 00 content that we've already seen in it's finished status and honestly done much more interestingly since it was done in a clever point of view style in the first season rather than just simply what we have here with the Sighs' adaptation. I mean I have to laugh a little when arguably the most pressing issue being portrayed is whether Mikuru is going to take a dunk in the water or not (heavens!)........yeah this seasons been pretty lighthearted and not as balanced as the first one when it comes to comedy and drama. Yuki was Yuki (technobabble), Tsuruya was Tsuruya (Ahahahahahahaha *points*), everyone was as they normally are and it's honestly getting a bit old, but what can I say, Haruhi as a franchise has never been big on character and scenario advancement and this season has been like a microcosm of that aspect of it.

That said the second half didn't start terribly great with me getting ready to roll my eyes at what I thought was going to be another lacklustre Kyoani standard attempt to bring on the pathos (Which they did a little at first since Haruhi lightly tapping Mikuru's head and Kyon getting all dramatic had me laughing more than I thought I would given that it sounded more like outright bullying in the novel and hence a lot more serious and dramatic), but when Kyon went to go deck Haruhi I have to appreciate how the scene was handled from then on with Haruhi looking so betrayed and almost like she was going to cry before putting on her strong front again. From then on still it was just okay again, but that one scene was a bit of a stand out for this season. Makes me think that Kyoani's staff are slowly remembering again how to do decent drama and how to use the subtle expression of a character to convey more than the most overboard of animation sequences and shouting could ever convey. Of course they then went on to have that scene of over the top gesticulation and spotty matching of voice to mouth movement, but I'll give them this one.

So decent episode that is a bit above average for what we've seen this season.....now I'm off to play some Gihren's Greed.
Old 2009-09-04, 01:14   Link #94
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Yay! for ponytail Haruhi! Kyon really needs to push that more.
Old 2009-09-04, 01:17   Link #95
sacundim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
It wasn't just you.
Old 2009-09-04, 01:23   Link #96
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
but when Kyon went to go deck Haruhi I have to appreciate how the scene was handled from then on with Haruhi looking so betrayed and almost like she was going to cry before putting on her strong front again. From then on still it was just okay again, but that one scene was a bit of a stand out for this season. Makes me think that Kyoani's staff are slowly remembering again how to do decent drama and how to use the subtle expression of a character to convey more than the most overboard of animation sequences and shouting could ever convey. .
I agree that particular scene was well done from every aspect. I also hope that this show will return to its former glory and this episode will mark its beginning. The one other thing I'll need to point out is that the overall animation is still spotty at many places if we compare the standard set in the first season.
Old 2009-09-04, 01:24   Link #97
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

This is Haruhi. A perfect 10.
Old 2009-09-04, 01:35   Link #98
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I agree that particular scene was well done from every aspect. I also hope that this show will return to its former glory and this episode will mark its beginning. The one other thing I'll need to point out is that the overall animation is still spotty at many places if we compare the standard set in the first season.
Well if we're to believe the 28 episode order that was reported by some TV stations then it might be a case of to little too late. It should be over by next week barring any surprises which........with Kadokawa are always possible. I think though that we'll probably have to wait a while before we can see if there will be any sort of return to form for this series, and even then the ball rests squarely in "our benefactors" willingness to see that through.
Old 2009-09-04, 01:38   Link #99
calorie

So this is why I love(d) this anime. Supernatural parts excluded, it's basically watching these characters do things that aren't that fun in quite an inexpert fashion - yet with every aspect combined in just the right amounts, I end up watching the ED thinking "God this was good", anxiously anticipating the next episode.

I thought the animation was particularly good in this episode, this is the best SHnY has looked in my opinion. Mikuru was utterly adorable wasted and Haruhi's facial expressions were on that fine line between the arrogant, confident, self-righteous and cute (the latter increased towards the end of the episode in a linear fashion). Also Tsuruya - I've hardly noticed this character much before but her laughing at Mikuru and the slight resemblance to Haruhi personality-wise were very entertaining, I rejoiced every time I saw her in a scene.

Kyon opposing Haruhi was a nice story development, I got kind of sick seeing him just complain and nag but never having the courage to go past the teeth-gritting (the potential punches were a bit too much but eh, guess we could say he lost it). Then that conversation with Koizumi, interesting as always (though more serious in character which reminded me of that major one they had in taxi in season 1), revealed some interesting thoughts on Koizumi's part. So Haruhi might have only been granted the power of a God but she isn't one? And this world they are in is what, her playground, a dimension separate from the one they originated from, thus being less important (failure)? I'm hoping the story will go along these lines and get more complicated. Even Taniguchi played a role here; he made Kyon find out how big of an idiot he is too. I mean come on, yeah Haruhi has many flaws but doing things with her and the rest of the SOS brigade doesn't look all that boring to me (the opposite actually) and Kyon knows that too except his subconscious mind rarely lets that thought emerge.

A thoroughly enjoyable episode, quite an eye-candy, what with the shading in Tsuruya's house and intricate facial expressions.
Old 2009-09-04, 01:53   Link #100
chinaboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
What I never understood about that scene was how Mikuru never noticed that their was tequila in her drink. If you've ever mixed tequila (or any alcoholic beverage with significant alcoholic content) you'd know that even if you water it down with whatever they were drinking that you'd still likely taste it. I'd find it hard to believe that Mikuru wouldn't have gone and said "My drink tastes funny" or something along thoses lines.
Because of the color of the drinks it could be that between the time the novel was written and the time the anime was scripted a decision was made to change the drink from juice with tequila to rice milk with medium sweet Nigori sake because of that issue. Tsuruya definitely says sake and the (English translation) novel definitely says tequila

Understatement of the episode: [Mazui] "What a perfectly timed irregular climate change"
Closed Thread