AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-06-29, 12:32   Link #3921
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Thanks Komari for your help . I'll give it a try later on. Too bad we don't own a tub, so will be a tad more difficult in the sink. I have no idea wether the daki is high quality, or low quality though. Exactly what determines which one it is ?
High quality dakimakuras tend to be very soft and comforting to hug, and expensive (~9000 yen). Doujin/custom dakis tend to be lower in quality, and dakis that come bundled with magazines for promotion aren't usually very high quality either.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 06:39   Link #3922
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Okay here's a question. I visited an old hideout (I love libraries...they don't ditch you unlike untrustworthy friends) and borrowed a book called Idiot America : How Stupidity Became A Virtue In The Land Of The Free by Charles P. Pierce.
Charlie Pierce is a fairly well-known author and commentator here in the Boston area. He has a weekly column in the Boston Globe magazine, a five-minute sports commentary on the National Public Radio show Only a Game, and makes occasional appearances on NPR's news quiz show, Wait! Wait!, Don't Tell Me!. His Only a Game comments usually appear at about 40 minutes into the program.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 11:00   Link #3923
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Charlie Pierce is a fairly well-known author and commentator here in the Boston area. He has a weekly column in the Boston Globe magazine, a five-minute sports commentary on the National Public Radio show Only a Game, and makes occasional appearances on NPR's news quiz show, Wait! Wait!, Don't Tell Me!. His Only a Game comments usually appear at about 40 minutes into the program.
His book is hilarious. It is a pity that most of the stuff written inside are true.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 19:46   Link #3924
Skane
Anime Snark

Question

The following has always puzzled me.

You know how... whenever a person tries to apply real-world science to an anime and fails horribly, but insists that it must be applicable; then the opposing camp, tired of trying to reason with said person, pulls out the old meme of-

"Everytime You Bring In Physics Into An Anime Discussion, God Kills A Catgirl."

Doesn't it occur to anyone that it is a misplaced meme? Why would the science-person care about Catgirls? Logically speaking, Catgirls are an abomination to science-people, and by Jove, if bringing in Physics kills them, let the formulas rain and kill them by the truckload.

It's like, a meat-lover telling a PETA activist, "Everytime You Preach About Vegetarianism, God Burns Down A Steak Diner."

Hello! Are you trying to dissuade him, or encourage him? :P

Shouldn't the meme be... something that a science-nerd actually cares about?

Narf.
Old 2010-06-30, 21:04   Link #3925
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I imagine the stereotypical science nerd who also loves anime actually considers the existence of catgirls to be emblematic of a new, brilliantly fruitful era of genetic engineering gone wild. You know, wild.

The dull hard sci-fi nerds can shove off. As a rule don't like anime anyway.

So yeah.

Well, that's the fun, lolanimelogic kind of answer, but the boring truth is probably a simple case of memetic mutation, from the "God Kills a Kitten" punchline to something more anime-flavored. But I think you already knew that.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 21:17   Link #3926
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
The following has always puzzled me.

You know how... whenever a person tries to apply real-world science to an anime and fails horribly, but insists that it must be applicable; then the opposing camp, tired of trying to reason with said person, pulls out the old meme of-

"Everytime You Bring In Physics Into An Anime Discussion, God Kills A Catgirl."

Doesn't it occur to anyone that it is a misplaced meme? Why would the science-person care about Catgirls? Logically speaking, Catgirls are an abomination to science-people, and by Jove, if bringing in Physics kills them, let the formulas rain and kill them by the truckload.

It's like, a meat-lover telling a PETA activist, "Everytime You Preach About Vegetarianism, God Burns Down A Steak Diner."

Hello! Are you trying to dissuade him, or encourage him? :P

Shouldn't the meme be... something that a science-nerd actually cares about?

Narf.
Since when are catgirls abominations? They are epitome of genetic engineering and Eugenics!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-07-02, 22:00   Link #3927
Kudryavka

What do you call someone who's a wuss when they're alone, but is totally brave when they're around others, particularly friends and younger family members?
Old 2010-07-03, 05:48   Link #3928
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
What do you call someone who's a wuss when they're alone, but is totally brave when they're around others, particularly friends and younger family members?
Hero kid? or maybe Tsundere? j/k

Sounds more like some form of Borderline personality disorder or some other disorder. What you're getting at seems way too extreme (and specific) for the person to be considered normal. For one, if he's afraid of being alone then he has Isolophobia (or was it called Monophobia?). You also say bravery, but easy circumstances to show bravery only show up in anime. In real life its usually "stupidity."
Old 2010-07-03, 06:39   Link #3929
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Punk. Quot Erat Demostrandum.

Old 2010-07-03, 06:43   Link #3930
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Hero kid? or maybe Tsundere? j/k

Sounds more like some form of Borderline personality disorder or some other disorder. What you're getting at seems way too extreme (and specific) for the person to be considered normal. For one, if he's afraid of being alone then he has Isolophobia (or was it called Monophobia?). You also say bravery, but easy circumstances to show bravery only show up in anime. In real life its usually "stupidity."
You are probably a bit too extreme, don't you think ?
With as little information as he gave us, I would say than he is always scared but the ''pressure'' of the presence of others push him to act ( for saving his image/ reputation for example or the fear to be labeled as a wuss ).
Old 2010-07-03, 07:22   Link #3931
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
You are probably a bit too extreme, don't you think ?
With as little information as he gave us, I would say than he is always scared but the ''pressure'' of the presence of others push him to act ( for saving his image/ reputation for example or the fear to be labeled as a wuss ).
You could be right though....however these kind of people tend to feel their image is a problem. Using correct words can break them down, and have your face smashed in by his "friends".

Old 2010-07-03, 12:24   Link #3932
Kudryavka

When I say friends, I just mean people his age, people around whom he would be embarassed to acknowledge his fears, not necessarily people who like him.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't think that him having such behavior was so serious. I thought it was just acting macho, then showing one's true colors when alone or among mature family members (who the kid knows won't laugh at him, and for whom he doesn't feel a need to set an example for).
Old 2010-07-03, 13:14   Link #3933
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
1) Which place has cheaper otaku merchandise specified: Akihabara, Nakano Broadway or Nipponbashi (Osaka)?
- figurines/figma/nendoroids
- programs like Vocaloid
- trading cards
Old 2010-07-05, 12:47   Link #3934
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
1) Which place has cheaper otaku merchandise specified: Akihabara, Nakano Broadway or Nipponbashi (Osaka)?
- figurines/figma/nendoroids
- programs like Vocaloid
- trading cards
Akihabara is probably not the place you should go to then, as everybody goes there (tourism-ish) which raises the prices on lots of stuff.

Just speculating, no facts or figures to back this up.
Old 2010-07-05, 22:34   Link #3935
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Thought this might be a good place to ask :P

A while ago i was looking for manikins for drawing and i came upon this Japanese created one that models after female anime proportions or so I believe. I think the manikin was made from plaster or similar materials. But i am 100% sure it wasn't made of wood.

Thanks, Aoie :P

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 23:14   Link #3936
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Thought this might be a good place to ask :P

A while ago i was looking for manikins for drawing and i came upon this Japanese created one that models after female anime proportions or so I believe. I think the manikin was made from plaster or similar materials. But i am 100% sure it wasn't made of wood.

Thanks, Aoie :P
I'm not really sure what your question is, but do not buy that for figure drawing. Anime bodies, heck, most cartoon bodies are grossly exaggerated, i.e. unusually skinny, big tits, steroid sized muscles, etc. Anime females in particular are more often than not drawn to be pleasing to the eye, not to be accurate representations of real women. You need a figure drawing class where you draw real human models, or something.
Old 2010-07-05, 23:26   Link #3937
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
I'm not really sure what your question is, but do not buy that for figure drawing. Anime bodies, heck, most cartoon bodies are grossly exaggerated, i.e. unusually skinny, big tits, steroid sized muscles, etc. Anime females in particular are more often than not drawn to be pleasing to the eye, not to be accurate representations of real women. You need a figure drawing class where you draw real human models, or something.
I don't need a lecture on drawing human body proportions, I just like to get some more information of this manikin >.>

I know. This won't be the first manikin I've bought. Forgot to say the height If i had to guess it'd be around 6-10inches. The reason i want this manikin is because I'd like another source for me to use for my drawings, that's simply it. The 2 current one i have right now are those wooden manikin, the male and female.

To be precise, I have this one (and the female version) - http://www.art-shoponline.co.uk/WebR...D0/manikin.jpg

If you have owned this one, it's not quite that poseable. (also my kid cousins have removed some appendages from him too >.>)

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 00:06   Link #3938
Kudryavka

Quote:
I don't need a lecture on drawing human body proportions, I just like to get some more information of this manikin >.>

I know. This won't be the first manikin I've bought. Forgot to say the height If i had to guess it'd be around 6-10inches. The reason i want this manikin is because I'd like another source for me to use for my drawings, that's simply it. The 2 current one i have right now are those wooden manikin, the male and female.

To be precise, I have this one (and the female version) - http://www.art-shoponline.co.uk/WebR...D0/manikin.jpg

If you have owned this one, it's not quite that poseable. (also my kid cousins have removed some appendages from him too >.>)
Sorry, I thought you were asking whether you should buy it.
Old 2010-07-06, 00:42   Link #3939
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:

I think I have that one... it is rather smaller than the size you said though, I have a smaller one but the build up is the same and material... mine however is rather stiff when it comes to putting it in a position
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 06:18   Link #3940
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Technically it's Air -> Kanon -> Clannad -> Little Busters -> Angel Beats for Key/Jun Maede's work.
After Angel Beats ended, are there any infos, news or rumours about, what Key will do next?

Tags
problem, q&a, serious