AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-18, 18:40   Link #481
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
While technically nobody hates Boy's Be
Uh....I do.
It's stupid and the character design is pretty ugly.
Old 2013-01-18, 21:05   Link #482
NK_500
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Uh....I do.
It's stupid and the character design is pretty ugly.
How stupid that show if it paved the way for more decent romance and drama shows for male viewers in first place?

I hate to do this actually but I just found your statement is too one-sided.
Old 2013-01-18, 22:04   Link #483
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno
I love Queen's Blade. I really do. I have no idea why many people hates this show.
I hated Queen's Blade because of the gore associated with the series.

Kameruka: I remember watching Boy's Be during its airing time on AXN. That said, I understand totally nothing about the series because I was a lot younger back then.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-01-19 at 07:21. Reason: edited quote
Old 2013-01-18, 23:12   Link #484
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
How stupid that show if it paved the way for more decent romance and drama shows for male viewers in first place?

I hate to do this actually but I just found your statement is too one-sided.
Dragon Ball Z paved the way for more decent shounen action series too...but that doesn't make the actual content of the show any less stupid to me.

I feel that appreciating a role a show played in anime history is different than appreciating the actual show itself.

But Boys Be....

Man, these chicks are ugly!

Especially that glasses one...ew, do guys really think she's attractive!?

Last edited by Chiibi; 2013-01-18 at 23:25.
Old 2013-01-24, 02:26   Link #485
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
I don't know how many fans vs non-fans there are, but there was a show that I really really liked which had a fair amount of complainers at the time, namely Shuffle. Even though I didn't like the ending (only because I don't care for the character, she's the last on my list), it was very fitting for the way the story progressed.
I agree.

Accel World and Hidan no Aria for me. There's really a lot of hate despite the fact they are both entertaining enough for enjoyment.
Old 2013-01-24, 09:58   Link #486
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
I agree.

Accel World and Hidan no Aria for me. There's really a lot of hate despite the fact they are both entertaining enough for enjoyment.
As someone who originally wrote off Accel World, I heavily agree with, as I ended up loving it since, despite the MC's design(and height) he had great character growth .
MAL
Old 2013-01-24, 10:48   Link #487
kitten320

^I don'r think he had any growth at all actually. The moment he lost his wings he became a loser again.

Basically he fully depends on that ability, without it his 0.

It is really hard to call a development.
Old 2013-01-24, 11:15   Link #488
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
^I don'r think he had any growth at all actually. The moment he lost his wings he became a loser again.

Basically he fully depends on that ability, without it his 0.

It is really hard to call a development.
I have to agree with this. The whole first arc was about him learning his worth as a person, and his wings were a manifestation of that. Then the second he loses them he completely forgets everything he had learned up to that point, seeing the wings as the only reason he was worth anything, even going so far as refusing to trust in the friends who had given him his confidence to begin with. Unlike many viewers I actually really liked him at the beginning as I saw his struggle as something that was easy to identify with, but my opinion of him dropped to rock bottom in the second half.

That said though, I still really liked the show in general and don't understand the seemingly common viewpoint that the main character's very existence made it completely unwatchable and negated any other positive qualities it may have had.
Old 2013-01-24, 11:22   Link #489
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Dragon Ball Z paved the way for more decent shounen action series too...but that doesn't make the actual content of the show any less stupid to me.

I feel that appreciating a role a show played in anime history is different than appreciating the actual show itself.

But Boys Be....

Man, these chicks are ugly!

Especially that glasses one...ew, do guys really think she's attractive!?
They were attractive BACK IN THE DAY. It just have not aged well. So did Sailor Moon, Fist of the North Star, Kanon 2002, etc... They have not aged well aesthetically. Myself, I even think that some shows I liked back in the day aged bad, as far as the character designs goes.
Old 2013-01-24, 12:02   Link #490
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
They were attractive BACK IN THE DAY. It just have not aged well. So did Sailor Moon, Fist of the North Star, Kanon 2002, etc... They have not aged well aesthetically. Myself, I even think that some shows I liked back in the day aged bad, as far as the character designs goes.
Sailor Moon's aesthetics look perfectly fine to me to this very day. The Sailor Scouts are all reasonably-to-very attractive characters, imo. I think that Sailor Moon is an example of a property that has aged well, at least aesthetically speaking.
Old 2013-01-24, 12:58   Link #491
Qikz

I know a lot of people hate Strike Witches for the fan service (for which I don't mind), but I actually love Strike Witches for it as well as the amazing battle scenes.
Old 2013-01-24, 23:11   Link #492
Chiibi

Quote:
They were attractive BACK IN THE DAY. It just have not aged well.
"Back in the day?"
Don't give me that.
That anime is only from the 2000s; 2007 I think!!
And the Sailormoon characters are still quite bishoujo.

To be fair, the Boys Be manga has much nicer art. It looks like whoever did the anime character designs just really f*cked them up. XD
(though that meganekko is still really ugly in the manga too. )
Old 2013-01-24, 23:51   Link #493
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

I have often been criticized in the past for liking Key's adaptation of the visual novel Air. Whenever someone wants to lob a complaint at it they generally make fun of the distinct ("noseless") character designs or the "incomprehensible" plot. Or, if the person is particularly uncreative, they'll just whine about how it's "not as good as Clannad."

I've given up pointing out that Air came after Kanon but before Clannad. There are obvious issues with the story because Key hadn't hit its stride yet. It's certainly not "incomprehensible" though unless you need to be fed plot-points like breadcrumbs. The ending is not painstakingly explicit because it doesn't need to be. If you've been following the story up to that point then you should be able to figure out for yourself what happens to Misuzu and Yukito.

And as for the character designs . . . you either love them or hate them. There are many design styles that I don't like (Hisashi Hirai's, for example) but I try not to overtly criticize them simply because they're not appealing to me personally. In fact, I fell in love with Air long before I had the pleasure of watching it simply because of the character designs. I saw an image of Misuzu with her arms outstretched, golden-hair streaming in the wind and knew I had see her in motion. The set of singles was the best blind buy I've ever made.

I wish more people would give Air an honest chance without holding it up to Clannad (or Kanon, for that matter), but people will be people. To each their own
Old 2013-01-24, 23:56   Link #494
Chiibi

Rosalena, do not worry. Air is VERY loved. It's one of my favorites too. Reason being I get attached to characters before plot and Misuzu and Yukito are the best characters Visual Key has given us. I love those two much more than the leads from Clannad, Kanon, and even Angel Beats.
I even have a Misuzu plushie that hangs in my car window.

Quote:
In fact, I fell in love with Air long before I had the pleasure of watching it simply because of the character designs.
Yup.
The art is beyond gorgeous.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2013-01-25 at 01:31.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:24   Link #495
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I have to agree with this. The whole first arc was about him learning his worth as a person, and his wings were a manifestation of that. Then the second he loses them he completely forgets everything he had learned up to that point, seeing the wings as the only reason he was worth anything, even going so far as refusing to trust in the friends who had given him his confidence to begin with. Unlike many viewers I actually really liked him at the beginning as I saw his struggle as something that was easy to identify with, but my opinion of him dropped to rock bottom in the second half.

That said though, I still really liked the show in general and don't understand the seemingly common viewpoint that the main character's very existence made it completely unwatchable and negated any other positive qualities it may have had.
I respect your opinion in the paragraph.

Now then, I agree what you said in the second. To dismiss a show because of the MC appearance alone, it seems really shallow.

Quote:
True. I also liked Boys Be during my younger years. It's one of my first anime back in AXN.
Old 2013-01-25, 16:30   Link #496
Echoes

Quote:
Rosalena, do not worry. Air is VERY loved. It's one of my favorites too.
Indeed it is! I think Air is a sublime show, and accomplishes a huge amount in its short allotted timespan. The leading pair is incredible, and I think they have a lot in common with Tomoya and Nagisa from Clannad. Given that the show focuses on a lot of other characters as well, I'm even more impressed that it manages to create such a powerful emotional bond between the two; as well as between them and the viewer.

Air's greatest curse is that it's held up to the other Key works, Kanon and Clannad in particular. It's important to keep in mind that these shows had twice as much time to convey their story. (Even more if you include Clannad After Story.) Kanon is my favorite, but Air has a special place in my heart as well; it has a magical, enchanting mood that I love to let myself get lost in. A top-tier show for sure. It'll always have a spot on my list of favorites.
Old 2013-01-26, 10:50   Link #497
kitten320

I like main charas in Air more. After Story in Clannad didn't do much for me considering that I disliked the pairing.

Besides Air's ending is far ,more tragic then what we got in Clannad =/

I wish Key would have more guts to do something like that again.
Old 2013-01-26, 12:47   Link #498
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
I have often been criticized in the past for liking Key's adaptation of the visual novel Air. Whenever someone wants to lob a complaint at it they generally make fun of the distinct ("noseless") character designs or the "incomprehensible" plot. Or, if the person is particularly uncreative, they'll just whine about how it's "not as good as Clannad."

I've given up pointing out that Air came after Kanon but before Clannad. There are obvious issues with the story because Key hadn't hit its stride yet. It's certainly not "incomprehensible" though unless you need to be fed plot-points like breadcrumbs. The ending is not painstakingly explicit because it doesn't need to be. If you've been following the story up to that point then you should be able to figure out for yourself what happens to Misuzu and Yukito.

And as for the character designs . . . you either love them or hate them. There are many design styles that I don't like (Hisashi Hirai's, for example) but I try not to overtly criticize them simply because they're not appealing to me personally. In fact, I fell in love with Air long before I had the pleasure of watching it simply because of the character designs. I saw an image of Misuzu with her arms outstretched, golden-hair streaming in the wind and knew I had see her in motion. The set of singles was the best blind buy I've ever made.

I wish more people would give Air an honest chance without holding it up to Clannad (or Kanon, for that matter), but people will be people. To each their own
Hey....for me, Air is the only Key VN that holds pride of place. Kanon is decent while Clannad just plain disagrees with me. That bittersweet ending of the sky...just like Iriya no Sora and Sola

Unless they make that Angel Beats VN of course, then Air can finally have a partner www

Quote:
Yup.
The art is beyond gorgeous.
Slideshow of Misuzu under the sky with Natsukage playing....bliss
Old 2013-01-26, 12:58   Link #499
Qilin
Romanticist

It's nice to know that I wasn't alone in enjoying Hidan no Aria when it aired. I liked it quite a bit myself

Spoiler for zzz:
Old 2013-01-26, 23:26   Link #500
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I like main charas in Air more. After Story in Clannad didn't do much for me considering that I disliked the pairing.

Besides Air's ending is far ,more tragic then what we got in Clannad =/

I wish Key would have more guts to do something like that again.
Spoiler for Reaction:

Bitter sweet endings always left me disturb for a week. I always appreciate happy endings like in Clannad and Da Capo I.. I hope Kanon is the same...
Closed Thread