AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-23, 01:24   Link #1221
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Uhhh... this whole Yuuya/Yui thing over American or Japanese is better is starting to get annoying. Those two should get a room to solve that belligerent tension they both have. Also, have the Scarlet Twins join you as well.
Actually I find them funny arguing about race or something. Kinda agree when you mention putting them in a room. That scene could became a reality if Russia will do some kidnapping again...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:25   Link #1222
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Actually I find them funny arguing about race or something. Kinda agree when you mention putting them in a room. That scene could became a reality if Russia will do some kidnapping again...
You mean if they get Inia'ed again...

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:31   Link #1223
novalysis

I think one good way to imagine Muv Luv's character is to envision them in a Slice of Life setting, and think of what archetype they'd fit. For Yui, that's rather easy - you could call her a stoic Tsundere with Ojou vibes who can be prickly. On the other hand, you'd have to look outside anime for Yuuya's archetype - a competent immigrant child with a certain degree of ego who tries his hardest to assimilate into the Culture he is born with, and distance himself from his ethnic roots.

Now, what Muv Luv' does is that it takes those archetypes, and throw them into a Lake of Fire- ie: The BETA Om nom nom nom machine. Still, at the core of it, Yui and Yuuya's disastrous interactions with one another is the result of those personalities clashing with one another, in the context of Alternative. I've wondered personally whether their first meetings with one another would be that disastrous in a more peaceful setting.

Yes, Yuuya should have shut his mouth and not made that silly comment that Yui was a Japanese Doll. That was very, very offensive. But, since we are entitled to his PoV, we know why he said such a silly, silly thing. And since we can see Yui's backstory too, we understand where she's coming from too.

Ultimately, the Yuuya-Yui relation seems to be the central conflict of the plot here, and I don't think it's actually shoddily written - on the contrary, it seems quite thoughtful here. It's partly Culture Clash, partly extenuating circumstances (hand Yuuya an American design, and I'd presume he'd have fared far better) and partly the fact that both personalities can potentially grate on one another in the right circumstances, and in others, gel very well together.

Alternative is a world that tests the limits of a man or woman's character, tempering them in a harsh world, and putting them in situations that would not exist in the genres these characters are plucked from. It still holds true for Eclipse, and I think the anime is doing a good job of showing it. I would like to suggest that NONE of these characters at their base belongs to the Cynical Mecha Genre- they are drawn, no, conscripted from various genres, and not merely anime genres. It is the nature of the genre that produces the characters we see, yet I think in the Muv-Luv universe, it's very easy to imagine what they'd be like were they civilians in a peaceful world. Most especially Yui.

If the characters are as horribly simplistic and as bland as some Haters are charging, such volume of discussion revolve around both characters as the show presents them seems rather implausible.

And there really should be a fanfic thread for Muv-Luv. The Yuuya-Yui angle makes for a very fascinating character study, especially considering the fundamental nature of the Muv-Luv universe.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:32   Link #1224
Miraluka
Banned

Scarlet twins and Yuuya would make an awesome threesome. IYKWIM.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2012-07-23 at 01:42.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:33   Link #1225
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Scarlet twins and would make an awesome threesome. IYKWIM.
Surprisingly enough I saw that already. And Ehhhhhh...I agree. (b")b

Still I'm not sure this is a place for such things to be mentioned LOL.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:33   Link #1226
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Yuuya, Yui and the twins? 4? 3?

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-07-23 at 01:46.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:37   Link #1227
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I think one good way to imagine Muv Luv's character is to envision them in a Slice of Life setting, and think of what archetype they'd fit. For Yui, that's rather easy - you could call her a stoic Tsundere with Ojou vibes who can be prickly. On the other hand, you'd have to look outside anime for Yuuya's archetype - a competent immigrant child with a certain degree of ego who tries his hardest to assimilate into the Culture he is born with, and distance himself from his ethnic roots.

Now, what Muv Luv' does is that it takes those archetypes, and throw them into a Lake of Fire- ie: The BETA Om nom nom nom machine. Still, at the core of it, Yui and Yuuya's disastrous interactions with one another is the result of those personalities clashing with one another, in the context of Alternative. I've wondered personally whether their first meetings with one another would be that disastrous in a more peaceful setting.

Yes, Yuuya should have shut his mouth and not made that silly comment that Yui was a Japanese Doll. That was very, very offensive. But, since we are entitled to his PoV, we know why he said such a silly, silly thing. And since we can see Yui's backstory too, we understand where she's coming from too.

Ultimately, the Yuuya-Yui relation seems to be the central conflict of the plot here, and I don't think it's actually shoddily written - on the contrary, it seems quite thoughtful here. It's partly Culture Clash, partly extenuating circumstances (hand Yuuya an American design, and I'd presume he'd have fared far better) and partly the fact that both personalities can potentially grate on one another in the right circumstances, and in others, gel very well together.

Alternative is a world that tests the limits of a man or woman's character, tempering them in a harsh world, and putting them in situations that would not exist in the genres these characters are plucked from. It still holds true for Eclipse, and I think the anime is doing a good job of showing it. I would like to suggest that NONE of these characters at their base belongs to the Cynical Mecha Genre- they are drawn, no, conscripted from various genres, and not merely anime genres. It is the nature of the genre that produces the characters we see, yet I think in the Muv-Luv universe, it's very easy to imagine what they'd be like were they civilians in a peaceful world. Most especially Yui.

If the characters are as horribly simplistic and as bland as some Haters are charging, such volume of discussion revolve around both characters as the show presents them seems rather implausible.

And there really should be a fanfic thread for Muv-Luv. The Yuuya-Yui angle makes for a very fascinating character study, especially considering the fundamental nature of the Muv-Luv universe.
+1 +1 +1 +1 Yes!

Quote:
Wow so dirty... but...
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:51   Link #1228
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
You mean if they get Inia'ed again...
Quote:
Scarlet twins and Yuuya would make an awesome threesome. IYKWIM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Surprisingly enough I saw that already. And Ehhhhhh...I agree. (b")b

Still I'm not sure this is a place for such things to be mentioned LOL.
Quote:
Yuuya, Yui and the twins? 4? 3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
Wow so dirty... but...
Considering the series is based on an Eroge visual novel franchise........... it might happen. Or the doujin artists will handle that.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:51   Link #1229
Miraluka
Banned

@GenjiChan: Yuuya Cryska and Innia, obviously, (and Yui doesn't seems to be the kind that shares) after getting Innia'ed once again.

Innia: mofu~! mofu~!
Yuuya: Imouto moe!
*get thrown in jail by Kryska*
Yuuya: Crap! Damn you!
Old 2012-07-23, 01:53   Link #1230
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
@GenjiChan: Yuuya Cryska and Innia, obviously, (and Yui doesn't seems to be the kind that shares) after getting Innia'ed once again.

Glad... Yui's purity is still mine....

*puts Yui in the TSF then goes to Hawaii...
Old 2012-07-23, 01:55   Link #1231
LeoXiao
思想工作

Yuuya and Yui are just another case of people who despite being rather hardcore in certain respects are surprisingly emotional and volatile in others. Yui has the same issue of pride and arrogance that Yuuya does, just that she doesn't flaunt it so directly, and that it's more warranted given that she actually saw combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecat View Post
Yeah... he walks into an ungraded base... and then there are tons of guards around... Was this a trap intended to lure him in, or am I giving the show's writers too much credit?
This kind of had me wondering as well. First off, why did he follow Inia in the first place? Second, it doesn't seem like they actually walked very far, and nor did they encounter any security apart from that one door, although of course it is possible he was taken to a separate building by car for interrogation.

What is really beyond me is why the Soviets didn't stop to ask who he was first, and upon having done so returned him to his base. The interrogation thing was wholly unnecessary and was probably put in just to drive home the message that the Russians still aren't our friends (even though we totally gave them a lifeline in the form of Alaska when it would've been simpler to leave them all for dead). The part where even the Soviets were calling him Japanese, while ridiculous, gave me a bit of a laugh I must admit.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:55   Link #1232
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

I just watched this episode and I think I must have watched a different show from the rest of you.

I don't understand where all this hate for the show is coming from. There is no shitting on America anywhere... what the hell are you guys watching?

Yui has no problem with Americans. Rewatch the episode, she never said a single negative word about Americans. In what she has experienced, she is fiercely proud of her own race (nationalism is always ignited in cases of national crisis, look at WWII) and expects better than the otherwise childish behavior for Yuuya from someone of her own race. She's not shitting on him being half American, she is shitting on him for being an embarrassment as a human being.

I don't understand how any of Yuuya's behavior is excusable. Humanity is on the frontlines fighting with what they have, all he can do is be flippant, hindering any sort of progress in the project, while being completely unapologetic about it (at least to his superiors). He gets in a serious pinch, Yui saves him, and the first thing he says is, I'm not going to thank you. Really? Seriously?

The plot basically centers around Yuuya being a darned child and Yui smacking some sense into him.

Can someone please tell me what Yui has done wrong? Am I watching a different show than the rest of you?

As for the Soviets hating on the Japanese, I don't know if you guys are unaware or something, but the Soviets were at war with the Japanese even prior to WWII. The Japanese made some real gains into Russia before being distracted by the Chinese and the Americans. Considering that in this universe, the conflict isn't resolved in nearly as clean a fashion as it was in our reality, it makes perfect sense for the Soviets to harbor anti-Japanese sentiment.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 02:00   Link #1233
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:

Inia is Jail Bait.
Getting Inia'ed means going to jail. And getting tortured.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:03   Link #1234
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
Any pilot needs to be trained and rated (have hours logged) on any new aircraft. Its not to say a good pilot can only pilot one craft. They can and they do. But people have to be rated on new aircraft. Hours logged, nuances figured out. You don't just go and stick and A-10 pilot into an F-22 and expect them to get the full capabilities of the craft. Especially when said craft have very different fighting styles and uses.
Spoiler for EP4:

Last edited by encia; 2012-07-23 at 02:14.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 02:11   Link #1235
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Spoiler for EP4:
Nah, it looks more like the Japanese TSF Yuuta was using just have much more sensitive controls compared to the American TSF's that he's not used to it.

Its kind of like driving a car with power steering and then driving without it. It just feels...different at first until you get used to it.

Or in FPS terms, like going from 4.0 sensitivity to 12.0.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:18   Link #1236
Miraluka
Banned

@grevierr: I know Inia is jailbait without being a loli. Also, I'm making fun of the term through that joke I did.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:24   Link #1237
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Nah, it looks more like the Japanese TSF Yuuta was using just have much more sensitive controls compared to the American TSF's that he's not used to it.

Its kind of like driving a car with power steering and then driving without it. It just feels...different at first until you get used to it.

That, and the fact that the thrust to power ratio of the Fubuki is lower then the American based TSFs he is used to. I give him credit for knowing the specs of TSFs at least.

Arrogance is when you can back it up. Conceit is when you can't.

Quote:
@grevierr: I know Inia is jailbait without being a loli. Also, I'm making fun of the term through that joke I did.
I know you know I know, lol. Just tagging along. I do judge her as a loli though, same as Kasumi. Boob size isn't a good reference in front of a judge. XC

Old 2012-07-23, 02:30   Link #1238
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post

That's a UI issue similar to Kira Yamato's control software patches.

Current FPS+ mouse is controlled like a car and it's different from humanoid form motion control system. The human user must "map" the mouse movements with the cursor's movements.

FPS mouse control can be defeated by FPS touch screen + AMD Eyefinity (very wide screen) i.e. just touch to point.

This is like mouse control vs Kinect PC control (use as a mouse replacement control). Kinect PC controls feels to be more natural when pointing against targets.

For drawings, I prefer a touch screen+pen over a mouse.

Last edited by encia; 2012-07-23 at 02:54.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 02:33   Link #1239
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Current FPS is controlled like a car or a tank. It's different from humanoid form motion control system. The human user must "map" the mouse movements with the cursor's movements.

This is like mouse control vs Kinetic PC control (use as a mouse replacement control). Kinetic PC controls feels to be more natural when pointing against targets.
If you want to get downright specific, TSF controls is very similar to something like Virtual-ON. The OS does the actual movements, the pilot just controls it.

Otherwise, without something like a Mobile Trace System (G-Gundam) or Direct Motion Link (SRW), true 1-1 control is impossible.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:35   Link #1240
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Actually as per the VNs, TSF control is nothing as such. Lets move this to the Mil Tech thread for discussion.

Here seems to be more America F*K YEAH!! vs YAMATO DAMASHII!!

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen