AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Horizon

Notices

View Poll Results: Horizon S2 - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 30 63.83%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 21.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 12.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 2.13%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-06, 03:42   Link #1
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon - S2 - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of Horizon ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting
  • Which kind of footage (Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Old 2012-10-06, 04:34   Link #2
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Animation Quality: 8-10
Voice Actors: 9
Script:6-9
Soundtrack: 8
Editing: 8
Enjoyment: 9
Emotional Involvement: 6-9

Average = 8-9
Old 2012-10-06, 08:49   Link #3
ruklove

Animation Quality: 8-9
Voice Actors: 8-9
Script:10
Soundtrack: 10
Editing: 8
Enjoyment: 10
Emotional Involvement: 7-9

Average = 8.7-9.3

i enjoyed script and Soundtrack
Old 2012-10-07, 02:18   Link #4
Aoi Toori
KISEKI da yo!!

Animation Quality: 9
Script: 10
Editing: 9
Enjoyment: 10
Emotional Involvement: 10

Average = 9,57

It's been a wonderful season
Old 2012-10-07, 04:30   Link #5
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Animation Quality - 9/10

As usual superb animation but note that some of the clips were oberved by some as repeated. But still I don't mind that at all.

Voice Actors - 7/10

Nothing special,nothings new...They did well, as they played to do...

Soundtrack - 7/10

I noted good beats during the fight scenes and love scenes(?!!) I can't really decide since the scenes and BGm seems to be overpowering each other... or it's just me....

Editing - ?/10

Was there???

Enjoyment - 8/10

I would have given this anime a perfect 10 if they focus more on the fight scenes rather than the long.... long... debates, and dialogues... God, won't they just kill each other!

My dream of SamuraiXFutayo have affected my evaluation...

But it was saved by the lovely Tenzou and Mary pairing... they took the scene and they were the ones I'm waiting to see during every episodes... I got bored by Toori running naked pointlessly...

Emotional Involvement - 8/10

More of the romance between Romeo (Tenzou) and Juliet (Mary)... My rating were mostly based on these two's relationship...

Overall - 8/10

It's all about Reenactments and big boobs...

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-12-24 at 08:39.
Old 2012-10-07, 14:39   Link #6
Zeroblade
エロ大魔王

I am terribad with assigning hard rankings so let's just assume that we're operating on a quantum ratings system or something instead.

Animation Quality: 7 or 8 / 10
The level of detail and attention is just mindblowing. To the point that they put in details that you'll only see when going frame by frame. And the randomest minutest things that even novel readers didn't notice at the start. Money shots were really well invested in, although there were lapses in animation, especially in the less action-heavy political scenes. That said, it's still great quality, but not god-tier amazing. I guess KyoAni's spoiled me in that respect.

Voice Actors: 9/10
Seriously, the cast assembled for it all is perfect. They basically have like over half of today's veteran voice actors assemble for it, and they play their many parts, many of whom even play dual roles, really well. Even the author praised their voicework. The last 1/10 there is for when the inevitable S3 (Just belieeeeeeeve) comes out and they bring in even more VAs in. I can't even imagine how big the recording studio would have to be to fit everyone in!

Script: 8 or 9 / 10
Generally speaking, the novels were heavily cut in order to fit it all within a single 13 episode cour. However, the way the important details and scenes were kept in is nothing short of admirable. The script was able to preserve the essence of stuff, without losing any major details. Leaning more towards 8/10 because there were still many instances where some parts were a little rushed or confusing for non-novel readers or people who aren't as deeply knowledgeable in the series, and some debate scenes could have

Soundtrack: 10 / 10
You could hate on Horizon, and still love its soundtrack. It's that good.

Editing: 10 / 10
Not quite sure what this refers to but I'll assume it was censoring and stuff that you'd end up seeing off the BDs. In which case, there was none.
None.
Sunrise has got some chutzpah.

Enjoyment: 9 / 10
Every single week's episode has been a constant euphoric high; every episode left me satisfied and still wanting more. The story is interesting as hell, the characters are an eclectic, fun bunch, and the play between sillyness and seriousness makes for a well-balanced show. Although I suppose there's more opa~i than is normal for me.

Emotional Involvement: 10 / 10
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon Infodump.

Overall: Jud. / 10
Let us have a good rest for the next voyage.
Over.
Old 2012-10-08, 12:08   Link #7
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Pretty much like the reviews I've done for other series, this one gotta be a tad long.

1) Image Quality:
Before anything, I believe it would be better for argument's sake to set the terms back where they belong to:
When I will state animation, it is regarding the way how characters and objects are -moving- on screen, thus the literal definition of the term.
Whereas the Sakuga is the quality of the design, and most likely how consistent it is.

1.1 Sakuga
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon S2 definitely got a very consistent quality for the whole duration of the season, pretty much like the S1: characters have their very own traits, there is hardly any "same face" syndrome, and Sunrise managed to have very fancy and appealing visuals: I'm sure some people will keep clamoring the good/bad with a certain aspect of the female characters design, it has to be said the general design and rendition of the characters, backgrounds and mecha are topnocht, with texture, lively colors and gradients.

1.2 Animation
The Sakuga quality definitely was complimented by a very consistent animation, and even more so than S1, S2 has a lot of subsequent fast paced action scenes which makes you wonder how the animation team could handle that pace for severel weeks a row, even if they did split the franchise into 2 foreordained seasons.
Similar to Ufotable's decision for Fate/Zero, the result is definitely more than satisfactory for this decision, especially that there is really little to no tricks into reducing the budget (there were very very few ones, such like Futayo posture, drawing Tonbokiri in front of her, which is a stock animation from S1).
There is absolutely no still shots, no awkward angle to hide the action going on, and even casual parts are kept on a very good level.

In short
Eyecandy and smooth. These 2 qualities really define quite well Kyoukaisen visual aspect. A lot of efforts have been poured into the making of the series, and it is obvious to say there is a major commitment of the said animation team.
9/10

2) Sound Quality:
2.1 Voice Actors
Another strong point of the series: Kyoukaisen manages to shine with a ridiculously large number of popular seiyuu available in the industry, such like Fukuyama, Chihara, Saitou, Sawashiro, Nakahara, Koyasu, Ono, Koshimizu, Sugita, Yuuki, Inoue, Nakata etc, but also add even more of them in S2, like Tamura, Horie, Tanaka, etc.
And as expected, all of them perform their role very well, and the voice directing surely manage them exploit their respective forte to bring live to the characters. Whereas this is actually "usual" in any moderate-high budget anime, it is quite peculiar for Horizon, considering the sheer amount of characters, the numerous situations at hand, and the very explosive script that is quite demanding for most of them (some of them like Fukuyama and Saitou definitely have to give their all considering their characters).

2.2 Opening / Ending
A bit like S1, the opening is catchy but nothing exactly mindblowing, which is a shame since the opening animation is really stunning, so ZONE//ALONE not being on par with it is a bit disappointing. However, it is a welcome decision to have again 2 different endings, and they work fine like S1. Not as good as Stardust Melodia, 悲しみは誰の願いデモナイ -Side Sunset- gives a good vibe for the serious mood. And of course, 空の詩 -Side Sunrise- compliments nicely the upbeat and cheery ending.

2.3 BGM
This part of the series is something I often felt in awe with season 1 (which went under the radar of many due to other series like F/Z), and I really didn't expect to have Kyoukaisen to deliver even more epic tracks in the lot.
On their own, the tracks are excellent. While not as diverse in genre as in S1's, S2 OST has a gargantuan amount of awesome music tracks (50!), which boils down to nostalgic, fun, epic and dramatic tunes. The composer isn't frugal with the use of intruments, leading to dynamic and intense score.
Not only that, but the sound directing really exploit Katou's works to the finest (noteworthy sequences using "Save you from Anything", "迫る運命の足音よ", "焦熱領域", etc).

In short
Without really much exaggeration on this portion, I believe the sound and music section is hands down the best part of Horizon that should be appreciated by anyone, regardless if they can't handle the plot, characters whatsoever. Truly, Katou's work for the second season shines with many manificient tracks, complimenting their respective scenes, along with lively and topnocht voice acting. I honestly can't find fault on this aspect of the series.
10/10

3) Script:
3.1 Characters:
It is no joke to say that Horizon has one of the biggest cast imaginable in an anime series, and surely this was really a surprise to see how every single one of them have a specific personality, different physical traits and quirks, and well defined role.
What struck me quite impressive in the first season and still ongoing with the second season was the fact that even the secondary characters have their limelight without really any superficial means (heck, even Kenji and Nenji have their hour of glory), so it really intensifies the "unity" among the protagonists who are literally defying the world, possible spreading chaos in their wake.

That doesn't mean other characters are any less likable: a good deal of the "opposing factions" have a sound agenda and own way to deal with the ongoing events slammed on their faces, and it goes without saying that the result is quite consistent with every factions interests and goals.
Even if they are "antagonists", I think it is hard not to sympathise with all of them, be it either for their positions or their own contribution to the story, be it comedy or serious antics (notable characters such like Muneshige and Gin).

Really, the characters are really likable, and it surely is helped by a handful of main characters being either epic, charismatic, or silly but touching and all.

3.2 Plot progression
One of the most touchy subject with the franchise, which unfortunately resulted into a very poor reputation back with the first season. Indeed, Horizon premises and looks were quite deceiving, which in turn made many people think that it is "just a nonsensical series with BALLOON TITS, MECHA, GIBBERISH STUFF, OTAKU PANDERING, etc". Heck, I admit that the first visuals made me wonder if it wasn't just a overgenerous fanservice show with a weak plot.
That being said, for those who have followed the first season to its end, it is quite obvious there is far more that meet the eyes: of course, the story can be seen as convulated, but with a certain approach of the concepts and purpose of certain "gimmicks", Horizon franchise makes a whole lot more sense, and lead to a very enjoyable ride with full of surprise.

And now that we are done with the mandatory introduction season, Kyoukaisen II goes straight to the business: following Musashi's quest of recovering Horizon's emotions (obviously leading to war with other countries) and saving the world, the story plays straight after the end of the first season, with rare momentum break (if any).
Suffice to say, while the first season had more over the top impressive peek, the second season is much more consistent in its pace and events, leading to a natural chain of events that not fail to entertain and captivate those who "dared" following the "nonsensical first season".

Indeed, Kyoukaisen II reiterate the same formula than its predecessor, with a smoother pace due to the absence of required explanations and backgrounds settings, but also due to an amount of events and characters interactions much better balanced/spread over the 13 episodes. And since it also gives suite to the first season plot parts, the second season gives a lot of satisfaction after witnessing many closing portions.

In short
Whereas the first season was difficult to approach at first, the second season really reward the audience who were interested enough in the franchise, with many entertaining and touching scenes, along with battles that surely keep the audience on their seat.
9/10

Conclusion
Often criticized and misunderstood, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon is an excellent franchise, showcasing an epic, amusing and touching adventure, lead by charismatic and likable characters, with a very high budget and obvious care from the staff, thus topping the story with an excellent sakuga and animation quality and a godlike OST.
The second season delivered so many memorable moments it is quite hard to count, and as a whole, it makes the franchise really appealing and entertaining. Surely the best series of this summer 2012 for me, and I echo the sentiment of some fans "Jud. Third season, WHEN?!"
9/10 - Excellent

This "essay" is of course my only opinion, and I don't pretend to get an appreciation more worthy than anyone else's.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-10-09 at 09:40.
Old 2012-10-13, 14:05   Link #8
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Animation Quality: 8
Script: 8
Editing: 7
Enjoyment: 8
Emotional Involvement: 8

Overall: 8.3; it was just as great if not slightly better than S1, and Soundtrack amazing once again. And plenty of great character development especially given the size of the cast.
MAL
Closed Thread