AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-12, 19:06   Link #41
user8764

Hi. I'm a pretty good Ryu Knight fan, so I'll explain a little.

The TV is a 1994 Sunrise show that was pretty popular for a mecha. Runs for 52 episodes. It's a light fantasy/comedy/mecha show that features super deformed Knight mechas. As someone mentioned earlier, Paffy was girl of the year in Armitage.

When the LDs for the TV series came out, Bandai did something not often done. Taking a page from the Patlabor Perfect release, each LD of Ryu Knight contained 1 NEW OVA episode (Adeu's Legend) in addition to 3 episodes of the TV series. Shouta can explain the breakdown towards the end better than I can. (17 Vols x 3 = 51 TV episodes, need one more). The first OVA series had 13 episodes, a parody episode, and then Adeu's Legend II. There was also a 'movie' version, squashing the 13 episodes into a two-hour movie, and a 8-inch LD of extras. I've seen both all of TV and OVA last summer. While not the most serious of shows, The OVAs are substiantially darker than the TV series. I'm sure you've noticed that Adeu is pretty naive about this whole Knight business. Well, in the OVA series he REALLY learns the hard way. I haven't watched OVA II: 1-4, partly because AnimeWorld disappeared after finishing episode two. Did I mention I like Ryu Knight a lot? I liked it enough to buy the R2 OVA DVD-BOX which was around $250, and I was buying it really JUST for those last two episodes. :P Anyway, if people hate the OVA series, that's too bad, but really they should watch the TV series before the OVAs. The OVAs cannot even be called a remake of the TV series. It's the same basic heroes: Adeu, Paffy, Izumi, and Sarutobi but in an entirely different universe and storyline. It's nothing at all like the TV series, and I hear OVA series II is even darker than 1!

Anyway, I really like both the TV series and the OVA. Good music, although I really love Good-bye Tears and Point 1. I don't care much for TV Op 2, or the ENDs, or the OP of the OVA. Since I myself am working on subbing the R2 OVA DVDs, where is you guys, Triad, getting your romanizations? Merchandise? Japanese websites? One thing I noticed in your subs that looked kinda strange was "Earth Tear". In Japanese it would be AASUTIA. (Dunno if this board supports kana) While that is how "Earth Tear" would be said, I think the name of the world is supposed to be "Earthtia", which would sound exactly the same in Japanese. I think "Earthtia" is the name they are going for.

Also, and you can take this or leave this. I'm pretty obsesssed about song translations, and while Good-bye Tears TV edit is a nightmare, I did notice some errors in English translation, probably because the particles and phrase structure were misunderstood. I translated the song a different way and had it confirmed by a native bilingual Japanese and English speaker who works as a translator for the commerical companies. If you would like to entertain me, I can send or post the romaji and the English subtitles and explain the grammar.

Yeah... I'm a psycho. :P

Lastly, about NG/VS Lamune. Yeah, only 1-5 of NG TV was subtitled. Pity. That was the series that really put Satoru on the map. Hecto subbed VS Lamune off TV without digital correction in the VHS days. The tapes aren't too bad if you have 1st gen subbed. Unfortunately, NG Knight Lamune TV on a ridiciously overpriced DVD Boxset where VS is still LD only. The LDs are hard to find, yet are cheap. (jungle just had a set of all 7 for 7,000 total)

P.S. Shouta, if you're the same Shouta from fansubs.net, you really should have asked me for help. SUB SHURATO!!! Anyway, Ryu Knight, while being the nail in the coffin from Ground Zero and AW, is not cursed. Android Announcer Maico, THAT show is cursed. 4 fansubbers claim that one as their grave. Oh well, thanks for the Ippo, Infusion. :P
Old 2003-12-12, 19:18   Link #42
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayMark2
Where is you guys, Triad, getting your romanizations? Merchandise? Japanese websites? One thing I noticed in your subs that looked kinda strange was "Earth Tear". In Japanese it would be AASUTIA. (Dunno if this board supports kana) While that is how "Earth Tear" would be said, I think the name of the world is supposed to be "Earthtia", which would sound exactly the same in Japanese. I think "Earthtia" is the name they are going for.

Also, and you can take this or leave this. I'm pretty obsesssed about song translations, and while Good-bye Tears TV edit is a nightmare, I did notice some errors in English translation, probably because the particles and phrase structure were misunderstood. I translated the song a different way and had it confirmed by a native bilingual Japanese and English speaker who works as a translator for the commerical companies. If you would like to entertain me, I can send or post the romaji and the English subtitles and explain the grammar.
I'll cover this piece by piece so bear with me :P

1) Romanizations? For the Ryu names, there names are written on the Mist cards they use to summon them. (Though, I took liberty with Bakuretsumaru, since I really don't think Bakuretsumal looks good, so I just went with basic romanization and no engrish-ification.) Now for the second one. 'Aasu Tia'. When they have that 3 line opening in the beginning, there's an obvious break between the Aasu and Tia which led to Earth Tear. I didn't think of Earthtia, but it's just a matter of who romanizes what. There is no official name anywhere for it. Either is possible, it's the same thing with anything. This also goes with character names (but the character names I got were official from the company who produced Ryu Knight :P)

2) There was a small translation error in the middle of the OP for the first three episodes which we fixed in four and five. I've had my song checked by a native japanese speaker who's currently a graduate student in America who's now also damn near fluent in English. If you're just commenting on episode 1's version of the opening, please watch episode 4. If you still have complaints, send me an e-mail or talk to me on irc (irc.mircx.com mainly) with this nick (Dragosmore). E-mail would be alg0511@rit.edu .
Old 2003-12-12, 22:55   Link #43
user8764

1. Sorry. I didn't mean to imply your romanizations were bad. I was genuinely interested because there have ben variation of them used over the years. Where is the 'official' list spelling out all the character names in English?

I checked Ryu Knight TV Episode 40 Title. It's not アース・ティア, it's "アースティア". (Japanese text might not work here). Basically, in printed Japanese there is no dot suggesting AASU and TIA are two seperate words. When I listen to it it's said as one word. Now, sometimes even that does mean jack in Japanese. For example, Ryuunaito is one word but it is two in English. However, I have a Japanese PC game entitled EARTHTIA SAGA LARTHUR'S LEGEND / ラーサー・レジェンド which is about the Ryu Knight series. I did not find anything on the net corresponding to Earth Tear, Earthtear, or Earth's Tear.

Here, http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown/3064/Htrk.htm . You can check your video of Ep 40. There will not be a dot between Su and Ti.

This may be more settled by the OVA memorial book. Over my break I'll look to see if it spells it in English and how.

On the other hand, we both know the Japanese suck at spelling in English and even official merchandise can be wrong. However, having Earthtia being part of an official game is good evidence.

The problem I saw was in ep 5. I'll recheck it. It may be just an issue of Tv cut being too ambigious, when I get the full cd with printed lyrics for both verses, it may help explain, then again, maybe not. I have finals on Monday, so I'll be busy this weekend, but I will try to have another native bilingual speaker check it.
Old 2003-12-12, 23:09   Link #44
Dragosmore
Translator

Well, I'm not going to fight about the Earth Tear/Earthtia thing. It's a matter of a personals choice of name-subbing. Countless name switches have happened in countless animes with different fansub groups. I don't think there is any general English translation for names that are in katakana or something of the sort. (i.e: if you do a search on the web for paffy's eng(l/r)ish last name, there's like 10 different versions )

Second thing, I've been looking for the full version of Good-bye Tears. If you can get it, I'd love a copy if you wouldn't mind making one @_@! Or at least tell me where to get it, I couldn't find it wherever I searched. As for lyrics, there shouldn't be any problem with romanization. The kanji is printed in the opening itself and I went with that. As for translation, again, I and my native speaker friend saw no mistake. Good luck with finals.

As a final note, Triad will not be changing it from Earth Tear to Earthtia as what I said in the first paragraph. Even if you somehow find an official spelling of it, if even one exists, it still won't change for consistency. Sorry if you feel that it's wrong in anyway. :-)
Old 2003-12-16, 17:11   Link #45
Dragosmore
Translator

So~ Ryu6 is out. Solved most issues. ON WITH THE NEXT NEW/MAJOR CHARACTER! (Next episode >_>)

Spoiler:
Old 2003-12-16, 17:56   Link #46
saku~ya
la~li~lo

Episode's 5 and 6 were pretty well action packed ^^; I enjoyed them, and it also showed some good character developement between Sarutobi and Adeu. I guess that they will be the best of friends out of the whole group.
Spoiler:
Old 2003-12-17, 16:08   Link #47
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

I wondered what this whole Earthtia / Earth Tear discussion was about as both are equally possible spellings of the same phonetic sounds. I realized though that you may have been reading "Tear" as the verb "to tear" rather than the adjective "tear" (which might trickle from your eye if you were upset at the use of that romanisation ).
All I have to say is that its great that the series is being translated and romanisation can be extremely difficult without any kind of official clue as to what the creators intended the word to be spelt like in English. I have often seen "official" English spellings that don't mirror the obvious English spelling of names......
Old 2003-12-17, 16:16   Link #48
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

*If anyone has a problem with the picture, let me know and I'll edit it out and put the link instead*

The last disc has 5 episodes. The Parody OVA (which has jokes from both the TV series and OVAs. Most will go past people unless they've seen the TV and OVAs in its entirety) is on this disc as well as the last 4 episodes of the TV series.

As Saymark mentioned, the OVAs are wholly different from the TV series. The tone is a bit more gruff (I wouldn't say dark) and the action is more or less the priority. The TV reverses it. Action is there (more towards the end of the series) but the main focus is a light-hearted adventure for most of it. It's more or less the classic tale of a person growing into a hero and what it takes to become that hero. Villains for the TV series are a bit stronger but don't have the the presence of the villains of the OVA series since they don't repeatedly appear.

As for the romanization, I believe it to be Earthtia. However, the question is still an interesting one as the official romanization as I've seen it is "Earth tia". The English implored by Takehiko Ito is a cut above most English used in the service of anime series but it's still rather fishy. It's separate but he doesn't use "Tear". I'd be more inclined to say that it's Earthtia since Ito romanized the character names so very eloquently.

I'll provide a scan for you here. I'll also check the inserts for the LDs I do have a little bit later (Missing like 4 LDs ). This is a quick scan and I can do a much closer one later if anyone wants.

Also, Say is right on the episode title as it there's no dot in the kana version and that usually signifies a world break. Still an interesting set of circumstances.

Saymark: Yeah, same person. I don't get any help no matter how much I ask whether it be on good old fansub communities or the digisub scene. Totally bothers me that no one is willing to lend a hand most of the time. If I had known, I would've come and ask earlier. And ouch on the Memorial box. I picked up the LDs for the series for 5 dollars a piece myself.
Old 2003-12-18, 02:42   Link #49
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

So the spelling is "Earth tia" huh? Interesting...

Anyway, I liked episode 6 quite a bit. I also found that Gratches lost way too easily. I think that the fight should have taken place on a cloudy day, though. That would have made things a bit more interesting.
Old 2003-12-18, 07:00   Link #50
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
i'm actually quite surprised about how much i like this show. I didn't give it much a of a chance and must say i am pleasantly surprised. I would have liked to see Gratches and Adeu's fight last longer. The show is funny and heartfelt at the same time. 3 cheers to The Triad for subbing this GEM of a old lost show. I will have to check out the OVA's sometime.
Old 2003-12-22, 21:55   Link #51
Dragosmore
Translator

Whelp, Ryu7 is out but I dont have much to say since Im back home. I watched it as the raw and translated it and one of the quality checks when I was still at college, so here goes memory!

Spoiler:
Old 2003-12-22, 22:17   Link #52
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

animesuki hasnt put up the link up yet
Old 2003-12-22, 22:20   Link #53
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Dragosmore likes to torture us helpless BitTorrent leechers.
Old 2003-12-22, 22:29   Link #54
Dragosmore
Translator

Silly leeches:

http://a.scarywater.net/triad/
Old 2003-12-22, 22:40   Link #55
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragosmore
ep7 its not there?
Old 2003-12-22, 22:45   Link #56
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Dragosmore, why must you torment us like this? Haven't you had enough fun at our expense by waiting a week to release the episode even though it was practically finished last week? :P
Old 2003-12-22, 23:05   Link #57
Dragosmore
Translator

Blargh, dunno why it's not up, but it should be up soon enough. Sorry about this -_-;; Winter break is insanity i guess for all staff, blaaah :P Anyway, I KNOW its in our channel which is

#the-triad @ irc.mircx.com

if you would mind waiting in a queue or something or using a bot instead, blee...
Old 2003-12-26, 20:05   Link #58
Dragosmore
Translator

Just some notes for all of you few who leech this series (I still am shocked at so few, I think it's a really good series and I've met other diehard fans for it too, ohwell )

1. =O? No comments about ep7 and Katze? Thought you guys would get a laugh out of her. Hehehe

2. Don't expect Ryu Knight 8+ for about 2 weeks or so. I'm home right now on a computer that can't watch anime, so because of that, QCing and stuff gets delayed and all and yeah =P
Old 2004-01-07, 17:32   Link #59
Dragosmore
Translator

Ryu 8 is out. Sorry you had to wait awhile, but now since im back at school, QCing can ensue. This ep is kind of funny and leads into a 2-3 episode story arc that all starts from this one. Buckle your seatbelts ^^
Old 2004-01-07, 17:42   Link #60
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragosmore
Ryu 8 is out. Sorry you had to wait awhile, but now since im back at school, QCing can ensue. This ep is kind of funny and leads into a 2-3 episode story arc that all starts from this one. Buckle your seatbelts ^^
I'm starting to warm to the characters in this series now so I'd thought I'd post here. I like the Evil "Cutie" Sailor moon types, at last there seems to be a real enemy who appears to be neither stupid or fairly weak. (I'm not counting Gratches as never for a minute considered him as an "enemy" too much of a good guy, even if extremely Bishie!)

Just a quick question though why were Adeu and Sarotobi "Likely to drown underwater"?.....they seemed.....fine...

Perhaps its just a plot contrivance....

Also I wonder if Katze is keeping a secret....

Honmani sou yo ne!
Closed Thread