AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-17, 07:15   Link #41
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Oh and this "patchwork development" was obviously a stupid idea. Too many developers spoil the game-broth.
Honestly the patch work developer thing isn't the problem. The problem is that Gearbox outsourced the single player game development, and effectively ignored it in order to get Borderlands 2 out the door. Given that Aliens Colonial Marines wasn't *their* baby, it's not surprising that the work that Timesgate put into it was less than inspiring.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 23:10   Link #42
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

That whole clip is better then this game Way Scarier...
Old 2013-02-17, 23:58   Link #43
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Maybe it was put in the game intentionally ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 11:58   Link #44
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

this game is very poplular in UK for some reason. it's no.1 on their chart! lol.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/uk-char...so-far-6404055
Old 2013-02-18, 17:02   Link #45
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
this game is very poplular in UK for some reason.
I blame marketing.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/enterta...-giant-1705465

(also, people were actually looking forward to this for a while, so the preorders must have pushed it up to the top of the chart. Not going to last going by the word of mouth, and Revengence coming out soon as well.)
Old 2013-02-18, 18:20   Link #46
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Gearbox just lied about everthing.
This game is just too horrible bad. Bad graphic that looks like it is from 2004, bad bad bad bad AI, dumb Story with many stupid plotholes and ass pulls and just medicore gamplay.

Deleted it and started to play AvP 2010 and I'm happy again.

I heard that Sega payed Gearbox 60 million dollars for the development of this crap.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 20:01   Link #47
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Honestly I would be incredibly surprised if nobody (or a class action lawsuit) sue gearbox over this sham for shipping what they knew to be a poor quality / unfinished product and glazing it with a fancy "bait and switch" PR ad campaign to grab as many pre-orders as they could before the reviews hit after release.

At the very least gearboxes reputation now lies in absolute tatters (From what I gather gearbox used the funds sega gave it for A.C.M to make boarderlands instead) and personally I'll likely avoid buying anything they release in the future.

Last edited by Drake; 2013-02-18 at 20:59.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 21:52   Link #48
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
Gearbox just lied about everthing.
This game is just too horrible bad. Bad graphic that looks like it is from 2004, bad bad bad bad AI, dumb Story with many stupid plotholes and ass pulls and just medicore gamplay.

Deleted it and started to play AvP 2010 and I'm happy again.
Did you not like that humans are the real enemy in 3 missions and then another 3 mixed in with Ailens? In a Ailens game!
Old 2013-02-18, 22:06   Link #49
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
Did you not like that humans are the real enemy in 3 missions and then another 3 mixed in with Ailens? In a Ailens game!
There was nothing that I really liked in this game. And that I wasted money on this crap and that Gearbox lied brazenly made it even more frustrating. It was like a slap in the face to an Aliens fan like me.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 23:01   Link #50
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Honestly I would be incredibly surprised if nobody (or a class action lawsuit) sue gearbox over this sham for shipping what they knew to be a poor quality / unfinished product and glazing it with a fancy "bait and switch" PR ad campaign to grab as many pre-orders as they could before the reviews hit after release.

At the very least gearboxes reputation now lies in absolute tatters (From what I gather gearbox used the funds sega gave it for A.C.M to make boarderlands instead) and personally I'll likely avoid buying anything they release in the future.
Frankly if anyone is going to be suing Sega, I'd be assuming it'd be Sega. Since Sega hypothetically gave it MORE than enough time to work on the game. They just faffed about working on different projects. I'm not a legal expert, but it sounds like Sega would have SOMETHING to complain about Gearboxes actions.
Old 2013-05-10, 07:11   Link #51
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Aliens: Colonial Marines Sold 1.31 Million

Quote:
Sega's financial results show sales of 1.31 million for the much-maligned Aliens: Colonial Marines, amongst strong sales for the publisher's other titles.

...I feel for you guys You'll probably be getting another game....
Old 2013-05-11, 15:34   Link #52
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

With those low numbers, I doubt we'll see another sequel. Then again, F.E.A.R. 2 didn't even break 1 million sales and it still got a sequel. Now 1.31 million may be alot for us, and if this was the early 2000s it would actually be a financial success. But today, Publishers (and some developers) actually need their games to sell in the millions to be deemed a success and rake in a profit.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 17:27   Link #53
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
With those low numbers, I doubt we'll see another sequel. Then again, F.E.A.R. 2 didn't even break 1 million sales and it still got a sequel. Now 1.31 million may be alot for us, and if this was the early 2000s it would actually be a financial success. But today, Publishers (and some developers) actually need their games to sell in the millions to be deemed a success and rake in a profit.
That's just delusional people dreaming to be the next COD.

If they manage their budget properly 1 million sales is all they need.
Old 2013-05-11, 17:34   Link #54
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I never got a copy. I borrowed one instead - not a fantastic game and too simple to play.

AVP2010 is better.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 18:41   Link #55
T-6000

Quote:
That's just delusional people dreaming to be the next COD.

If they manage their budget properly 1 million sales is all they need.
You're definitely too right with that statement, but that's one problem with the game industry. The costs of making games has skyrocketed during this generation that many big budget AAA games have to sell millions to make a profit. Not all games developed have this problem, especially indie titles, but this may become a bigger problem with next gen games. I have read some reports (well, they were more like speculations) that once next gen hits us the expense of game development will rise even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I never got a copy. I borrowed one instead - not a fantastic game and too simple to play.

AVP2010 is better.
Unfortunately true. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the third AVP game (despite being rough around the edges) but the more good Aliens games the better. If Sega plans on doing a sequel (unlikely at this point, but then again FEAR 2 sold less and we got a sequel) I hope they give the IP to a better developer. I'm not sure if I want to give Gearbox another chance.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 22:58   Link #56
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Speaking of a lawsuit, there's actually one in the works against SEGA.
Old 2013-05-11, 23:03   Link #57
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

AVP2010 is better.
I know right?
Old 2013-05-11, 23:04   Link #58
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Simply gameplay seems to be the least of it's problems- From what people are saying, the game is full of buggy issues.
Old 2013-05-12, 07:05   Link #59
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:

Not necessarily. For a game that had a triple A development (a very LONG development) and marketing budget put into it, 1.3 million is actually a pretty damn small number of sales. ESPECIALLY when you consider that allot of places put Colonial Marines into the bargain basket not too long after its release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
FEAR 2 may not have sold allot, but it WAS part of a reasonably successful franchise. And the game wasn't critically maligned. Aliens Colonial Marines has really damaged the Colonial Marines brand name. Sega is going to be very nervous about pumping more money into a franchise that has been almost universally regarded as being bad.

Wanna know what's really sad about this entire affair? It isn't people's excitement for a Colonial Marines game getting squashed. I think that this affair is going to teach publishers that they need to manage game developers more tyrannically. Sega was VERY generous with giving all of those extensions to Gearbox. And all they got in return was a publisher who slacked off on the work they were paid to do, and delegated it to other parties without supervision.

So what ultimately came out was a giant pile of crap. What does this tell the publishers? That maybe Bobby Kotick had the right idea when he was talking about all this "climate of fear" and "taking the fun out of making video games".
Old 2013-08-13, 08:48   Link #60
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00

I remember a comment to the effect of 'whatever else is wrong with this game, the music is not one of those things'. Well, you can decide that for yourself: the composer (Kevin Riepl) has seen fit to share the soundtrack for the low low price of... free.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote