AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-13, 02:15   Link #1141
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Spoiler for censore blood?:

If we buy the blue ray version, there no censoreship?
Yes, they will certainly censore everything. That arc is the most violent one, and without letting out spoilers, I'm damn sure a lot of things are going to be toned down. YS arc with this color pattern will be...lolworthy.

Even though the 2011 has been adaptating everything in the manga much better than the 1999 one, it doesn't change the fact that the colorful animation will break a lot of the tension, which is what made YS arc epic. I'm not all that concerned about censoring, more about that.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 02:43   Link #1142
VnsFurs

I think the YS arc will be handled fine.
The night time cityscape used during these latest episodes is proof that they can handle the look.
My only concern is the music, though I have a feeling they'll break out some new tracks to fit the mood. The ones they've been using for the nen explanations have been awesome.

Oh and if I recall correctly, didn't the director mention that the YS arc was his favorite? I think they'll pull it off.
VnsFurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 02:55   Link #1143
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnsFurs View Post
I think the YS arc will be handled fine.
The night time cityscape used during these latest episodes is proof that they can handle the look.
My only concern is the music, though I have a feeling they'll break out some new tracks to fit the mood. The ones they've been using for the nen explanations have been awesome.

Oh and if I recall correctly, didn't the director mention that the YS arc was his favorite? I think they'll pull it off.
I'm not doubting the director, but how much he will be able to pull off for an morning anime.
Old 2012-05-13, 03:03   Link #1144
VnsFurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
I'm not doubting the director, but how much he will be able to pull off for an morning anime.
That's definitely something to consider.
But I still think they've done a really good job so far, even with this time slot.
As long as the tone is preserved, and the content/themes are unchanged, everything will be just peachy.

I'm very pleased with the adaption so far. Even with this episode, where we actually get to see the fight in it's entirety. You don't need blood to convey the point of it all
Old 2012-05-13, 03:05   Link #1145
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnsFurs View Post
I'm very pleased with the adaption so far. Even with this episode, where we actually get to see the fight in it's entirety. You don't need blood to convey the point of it all
I understand that, but I am still worried. I guess we will have to wait and see...
Old 2012-05-13, 03:11   Link #1146
VnsFurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
I understand that, but I am still worried. I guess we will have to wait and see...
Indeed, that's all we can do.
But I can't lie to you... That bit with Kurapika at the end of this past episode has gotten me very excited.
Old 2012-05-13, 03:51   Link #1147
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
If we buy the blue ray version, there no censoreship?
There's no difference between the tv and blu-ray versions, unfortunately.
The morning timeslot is a terrible excuse, btw. One Piece airs in the morning too and it's a pretty bloody series.
The censorship in HxH isn't due to Japanese standards, the issue is that Madhouse is probably trying to make it as overseas-friendly as possible.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 04:14   Link #1148
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i gotta say that my concern was the lack of blood, after all hisoka dont bleed in the manga either and the way his wound was shining pretty much explains it, the problem was his severed hand dropping glitter, that just looked stupid, also the censorship migth change the way we perceive some characters, but you are rigth i cant judge beforehand, even so, i highly doubt the upcoming arc is gonna be half as good as in the 99' series,but in the end, i still hope they prove my doubts wrong.
Old 2012-05-13, 09:05   Link #1149
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

To put this into perspective, most of the posts on this page are complaining that the 2011 series included a fan-favorite fight that the 1999 series cut out entirely because it was considered too violent. All because Hisoka doesn't bleed when his arm is amputated since he clearly seals his wounds with his own aura in this version.

Yes, that's obviously what it is. And in fact, it'll even be mentioned next episode that's what occurred. Because at some point during his fight with Kastro, Hisoka actually does it in the manga.

The arguments being made here are hilarious. The censorship laws in Japan have changed. Unless Hunter x Hunter aired after midnight (which would only result in only the most hardcore of otaku watching the show, therefore likely leading to poor ratings), there's no way that Madhouse would be able to get away with showing such a brutal action without it having to take some creative measures.

Blood =/= Maturity. Sure, HxH is a gruesome manga. On occasion, it's even been censored in print (largely during the Chimera Ant arc, though some scenes in Greed Island are as well). But that isn't what makes the series good.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 09:32   Link #1150
Clarste
Human

Yeah, it's kind of funny that people are saying that this shows how much worse it is compared to 1999 when the 1999 version decided that they couldn't show severed arms at all. It's not like there isn't blood in other places. Even in this episode, Hisoka was dripping blood after being punched in the face. They just don't want to show a severed arm in gruesome detail on a Saturday Morning Cartoon.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 09:47   Link #1151
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Pretty sure they're just voicing their concern when YS arc rolls around, in which the 1999 version basically just threw censorship out the window. Of course, since YS arc is almost everyone's favorite arc, they are bound to be pretty worried about the current progression. Blood doesn't equal maturity, but blood equals the suspension of disbelief.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 10:13   Link #1152
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
There's no difference between the tv and blu-ray versions, unfortunately.
The morning timeslot is a terrible excuse, btw. One Piece airs in the morning too and it's a pretty bloody series.
The censorship in HxH isn't due to Japanese standards, the issue is that Madhouse is probably trying to make it as overseas-friendly as possible.
Er there is definitely censorship in One Piece anime. I don't catch everything myself but one obvious example is Sanji's back story.
Old 2012-05-13, 10:21   Link #1153
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Er there is definitely censorship in One Piece anime. I don't catch everything myself but one obvious example is Sanji's back story.
I never said there isn't. The example you give doesn't even bring anything to the discussion, since back then the series was on primetime.

Anyway, the thing is that you can find more blood in one given episode of One Piece than in Madhouse's HxH entire run so far. So it's not like they can't get away with plenty of blood in the morning, if they want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
Pretty sure they're just voicing their concern when YS arc rolls around, in which the 1999 version basically just threw censorship out the window. Of course, since YS arc is almost everyone's favorite arc, they are bound to be pretty worried about the current progression. Blood doesn't equal maturity, but blood equals the suspension of disbelief.
Pretty much. It's hard to have a sense of danger when a character is losing glitter or nothing at all when he's damaged.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 10:30   Link #1154
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
I never said there isn't. The example you give doesn't even bring anything to the discussion, since back then the series was on primetime.
I don't really see how when it was on matters. You are trying to say One Piece can get away with less censorship in the morning than in prime time? Huh!

Quote:
Anyway, the thing is that you can find more blood in one given episode of One Piece than in Madhouse's HxH entire run so far. So it's not like they can't get away with plenty of blood in the morning, if they want to.
I watch One Piece all the time. You are exaggerating about the amount of blood.

And really the idea that Madhouse is cutting blood to appeal to Western audiences is ridiculous.

1) There is barely any anime on TV anymore anyways. I highly doubt
Madhouse is trying to make Hunter X Hunter the next big thing.

2) But if they were editing blood is a simple matter. It already happens all the time here.
Old 2012-05-13, 11:22   Link #1155
Clarste
Human

There is blood in the Madhouse anime. Just not in that one particular arm-severing scene. For which, incidentally, there was no blood in the manga either. Or the original anime, because they skipped this fight entirely.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 11:27   Link #1156
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Heh. Sparkle wounds. Such an archaic form of censoring. At least they showed the fight to begin with, but still... quite archaic. Would've worked better if they'd just tweaked with the camera angles instead.

I still can't get used to the new way they depict ten in this version though. It looks like a layer of shrink-wrap and it's rather bland and neutral, rather than being colored as a person's aura.

I also miss the humming nen sound. It was such a nice and distinct sound I've gotten accustomed to hearing, the current 'rushing of wind' type sound doesn't get close.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 11:47   Link #1157
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I confess I really don't understand the importance folks place on seeing real blood in anime. Isn't the way the scene is written more important than whether we see the actual gore? It's not like we don't know exactly what just happened.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 12:13   Link #1158
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Besides it's a morning cartoon and not an otaku timeslot. There's only so much that kids are allowed to view. If you want the gore, then stick with the manga which has a higher age rating (16+ in the US).
Old 2012-05-13, 12:13   Link #1159
ditn

I have always been thinking the same,is blood that important that it ruins the show?
Very weird.

if i remember correctly the fights was skipped in the 1999 anime.
Stop trying to compare both and just enjoy the anime..
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 12:15   Link #1160
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
And really the idea that Madhouse is cutting blood to appeal to Western audiences is ridiculous.

1) There is barely any anime on TV anymore anyways. I highly doubt
Madhouse is trying to make Hunter X Hunter the next big thing.
Actually, there was a news report before the series aired stating that they're really pushing merchandising for this series.

http://www.itochu.co.jp/en/news/2012/120124.html

They're trying to make this series a hit, so they're treating it with utmost care. It's not only one of the best selling manga series in Japan, but also one of the most critically acclaimed.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen