AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-02, 04:32   Link #21
aarinfantasy
aarinfantasy.com
*Fansubber

There's a lot of girls in my forum who are really pissed right now >_<

*sigh* April's Fool is over in all parts of the world....
Old 2006-04-02, 04:37   Link #22
bastard-sama
The Bastard

wrong still hawaii as its around 1:35 PST Hawaiian is two hours behind PST which would make it 11:35
Old 2006-04-02, 04:51   Link #23
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
Hehe, I really don't hate yaoi fangirls, btw... Even after being in a group that subbed Gravitation (BakaMX) :X

-Tofu
+20 points. You have redeemed yourself in my eyes.
Old 2006-04-02, 05:33   Link #24
Katapan
俺様祭り

Nooo! This is so wrong! They have Katsuyuki Konishi (seiyuu for Soubi in Loveless) as the seiyuu for Tetsuwa Niwa while there is an exact clone of Soubi in the show:

And that was all I was able to tell from the RAW. Oh, I thought the OP song was pretty catchy too. Awaiting aarinfantasy's sub

Last edited by Katapan; 2006-04-02 at 06:45.
Old 2006-04-02, 05:40   Link #25
Asagi

I must say that I got good laugh from that joke version. During the opening credits I was like "omg, this cant be real....or can it?"
I have nothing against shounen-ai/yaoi or gays in general. But this was so overdone that it was just great! And I pretty much believe that I will keep the episode.

And please, all shounen-ai/yaoi fans, do not start to attack me because of this comment. You can feel free and disagree 200%, but for some weird reason, I liked it. And I say it again, I have nothing against the genre or men who likes men.
Old 2006-04-02, 05:42   Link #26
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Lesson to learn from this -

Dont let your fanboy / fangirlishness get in the way of common sense. ALWAYS check around a bit before downloading fansubs on April 1st and ESPECIALLY episode 1's as they could very well be troll subs.

But.....I'm sure people will fall for it again next year XD

-gumbaloom
Old 2006-04-02, 06:02   Link #27
Teletha

It's so sad this is supposed to be funny. Is it really that fun to mock fans of a genre you don't like? It's sad so many shoujo-ai things are drooled over and shounen-ai is laughed at. Ah fanboys~ do you really think you have room to mock yaoi fangirls?

I know it's not really "serious business" but it's just a stupid thing to do. Thanks Aarinfantasy for subbing it though when it comes out.

Though I figured it was fake considering Animesuki didn't list it. You can't fool me.
Old 2006-04-02, 06:21   Link #28
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

The same could be said of mocking Naruto fans and yet we did a troll sub of Naruto 77 back in the day.

If you do an april fools troll sub you can't avoid offending at least SOMEONE, no matter what show you pick.

-gumbaloom
Old 2006-04-02, 13:19   Link #29
Gankutsuou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi
I must say that I got good laugh from that joke version. During the opening credits I was like "omg, this cant be real....or can it?"
I have nothing against shounen-ai/yaoi or gays in general. But this was so overdone that it was just great! And I pretty much believe that I will keep the episode.

And please, all shounen-ai/yaoi fans, do not start to attack me because of this comment. You can feel free and disagree 200%, but for some weird reason, I liked it. And I say it again, I have nothing against the genre or men who likes men.

I'm pretty sure the episode was designed and constructed for people like you (not meant to be offensive. Just people in general who does not take shounen ai seriously.) To get a laugh out of this beautifully done anime series. Personally I downloaded the episode just to see how offensive it was since my friend was very shocked while watching it (not in a good way). It would have been a better parody if it was made somewhat different, in a way that would make shounen ai fans smile and get the day over with. But most of the stuff that was written for the episode was obviously very rude, unthinkably offensive to gay and lesbian people, childish, and degrading.
Maybe you shouldn't label it as just "APRIL FOOLS". Add in the "for homophobes!" Yeah that would be clear to the point.
Old 2006-04-02, 13:21   Link #30
daemoness
Slave to cuteness

I loved the parody sub. But ew, I hope the eyecatch of the purple twin guys that looked incest-y was edited in, but I'm guessing it wasn't.

I still can't wait for a regular sub though!
Old 2006-04-02, 16:06   Link #31
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankutsuou
I'm pretty sure the episode was designed and constructed for people like you (not meant to be offensive. Just people in general who does not take shounen ai seriously.) To get a laugh out of this beautifully done anime series. Personally I downloaded the episode just to see how offensive it was since my friend was very shocked while watching it (not in a good way). It would have been a better parody if it was made somewhat different, in a way that would make shounen ai fans smile and get the day over with. But most of the stuff that was written for the episode was obviously very rude, unthinkably offensive to gay and lesbian people, childish, and degrading.
Maybe you shouldn't label it as just "APRIL FOOLS". Add in the "for homophobes!" Yeah that would be clear to the point.
Aww come on, as a gay person I found it pretty damn funny and not degrading at all, and I know I'm not the only one either. Hell, Live-eviL even has a gay member, I hardly can imagine them being truly homophobic. No need to get so serious over this, really, there's some stuff that's much more offensive out there imo.
Old 2006-04-02, 17:52   Link #32
Gankutsuou

You're not the only one. I know of a few who laughed out loud while watching it. But i know of more people who are offended by this. They were basically looking forward to this series. They were surprised there was already a subbed for this after less than 24 hours it aired on Japanese TV and downloaded it right away. Came back home just to see a video with messed up subtitles and scenes from AKIRA the movie. Not to mention the insultings comments throughout the opening theme and the wrong subs. Not only were many fans were disappointed and outraged over this, but they are disappointed that a long awaited series like Gakuen Heaven was butchered into a lame homophobic joke by a group of homophobes. Yes, to me, it is homophobic.

As a straight female and a fan of shounen ai, i find it very very offensive even though they claimed that it was supposed to be a parody and meant no harm as a whole. And yeah of course i know there are stuff out there that are more offensive than this. Gay people get murdered out there for being gay itself. And these little things are happening everywhere. Add to these parodies, which consist of insults, hate and degrading jokes about shouen ai, this world definitely seem less safe for gay people.

And having a gay member does not mean anything. Hell, even Bush has gay supporters.
Old 2006-04-02, 18:54   Link #33
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Were there homophobic / gay jokes in there ? - Yes

Were those jokes INTENDED to be harmful ? - No

Were we bashing Yaoi and the right of people to be Yaoi fans ? - No

Was it a parody ? - Yes

With all due respect you were given plenty of clues that this was a troll sub.

0) It was RELEASED ON APRIL 1ST like DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1) It was released less than 24 hours after it aired in Japan - how often does Live-eviL do speed subs??????
2) Live-eviL is not known for subbing Yaoi anime - except for Dear Boys back in the day
3) Neither Animesuki or Envirosphere listed it
4) It was a BT only relase
5) Didn't the OP song give you the slightest clue?

Despite that a lot of you still downloaded it.

The point is that this was poking a little fun at how SOOOOOOO zealous the Yaoi fan girls can be about their fandom and well a good majority of you fell right for it by not stopping to thinking about the circumstances in which it was released.

Like we've said before we apologise to those to whom it caused genuine offence and as I said above it was not intended to be harmful. Also as I said before not everyone will be happy when you release a troll sub.

We've done this before with Naruto and I'm sure we'll do it again with some other show.

-gumbaloom
Old 2006-04-02, 20:23   Link #34
gknight
shounen ai

Send a message via ICQ to gknight Send a message via MSN to gknight
lol i just watched L-E funsub the ending is so funny!!!!!!!!!!! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
anyway the only joke which annoyed me was in the opening when you said yaoi fangirls will watch anything for only pretty guys,
it's not very nice to "generalize" (i know i'm not like that) and besides it's not like ecchi and fanservice animes are any better (and they still get high ratings from all the poor horny straight guys ("not generalizing" )).

anyway here are some screencaps i took from the 1st episode raw if anyone's interested..

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-02, 20:26   Link #35
Gankutsuou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaloom
Were there homophobic / gay jokes in there ? - Yes
Uh huh.

Quote:
Were those jokes INTENDED to be harmful ? - No
Who knows what the Live-Evil staff were thinking behind their "evil" minds. The jokes are apparent and they are there. If they are present, then obviously not everyone will take it cool and dismiss it as a joke. As a matter of fact, most of the people who downloaded the file thought it was legimate and were offended in some way. For example, some may think they have wasted an hour downloading something worthless(Not the anime). Even if you did not intend it to be harmful, it is harmful. Maybe if the group had inserted some text in the end of the episode that states that there weren't any anti-gay messages or propaganda.

And you guys joke about "AIDS". I know many people have experienced friends or families who have died of AIDS. I have had friends who died of AIDS and it is NOT funny.

Quote:
Were we bashing Yaoi and the right of people to be Yaoi fans ? - No
You were bashing homosexuals in general. And the proof is the file itself. Obviously you may dismiss the fact that there were no harm intended but again, it is there so it will be seen and people will get offended.

Quote:
Was it a parody ? - Yes
Yeah and it was a parody full of hate. Not to mention that the jokes were tasteless. (Although some may find it funny for whatever reason. Like the straight guy, who's not a fan of shounen ai, posted not so long ago in this thread.

Quote:
0) It was RELEASED ON APRIL 1ST like DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uh huh...

Quote:
1) It was released less than 24 hours after it aired in Japan - how often does Live-eviL do speed subs??????
Not everyone is familiar with Live-eviL's fansub timing. Some people don't even know who you guys are.

Quote:
2) Live-eviL is not known for subbing Yaoi anime - except for Dear Boys back in the day
Again, some people don't know you guys. Oh and correction: Dear Boys is not Yaoi.

Last edited by Gankutsuou; 2006-04-03 at 18:19.
Old 2006-04-02, 20:33   Link #36
domino
デレデレ

I don't know about the whole April Fools sub thing, but I watched the raw and thought it was very cute ^_^ The main couple is adorable.

The animation budget seems pretty low, but the good art makes up for it.

It was also really funny... the fact that they go to a school called "BL Gakuen" and the "Ham Ham Heaven" parts were sooo funny... XD Such a big cast, too! I'm glad they improved the cast from the game version... in the game, the artist character looked like a droopy-eyed crack addict T_T Or something...
Old 2006-04-02, 20:34   Link #37
thomasvye
Delurking...

I didn't see the April Fools day sub, lucky for me; but from what I have read, oh how hilarious it must have been :sarcasm: Ah, April Fools prankers.

I will never understand the mindset of people who think 'jokes' like that are funny and then try to wriggle out of how annoying their antics are by implying those who don't find it funny are bad sports and idiots who should have known better because it's April 1st...... The usual get out clause of the annoying practical 'joker'.
Old 2006-04-02, 22:19   Link #38
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
*dead*

Quote:
You were bashing homosexuals in general. And the proof is the file itself. Obviously you may dismiss the fact that there were no harm intended but again, it is there so it will be seen and people will get offended.
I don't think it's so much a poke at homosexuals as it is a poke at the genre BL itself. However, I think it was the opening that sparked the reactions, which is why I think sticking to actual lines was better, as seen right after.

As for me, I'll probably watch right after I get the excitement of waiting for the actual release out of my system. I've always thought it's just not good timing.
Old 2006-04-02, 22:33   Link #39
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Wow, I can't believe people are taking L-E's joke sub so seriously. Good grief.

I saw the raw first and thought it was absolute tripe. Ah well. Someday I'll find a good, new BL series that isn't called "Loveless"...
Old 2006-04-02, 22:56   Link #40
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I saw the raw first and thought it was absolute tripe. Ah well. Someday I'll find a good, new BL series that isn't called "Loveless"...
But that's the thing. Who was expecting plot in the first place? It's all about the guys, and I eagerly await the moment when it shows Meine Liebe how it should be done.

As for good BL series? I'm not holding my breath. Not until someone actually picks up a good manga and take it seriously without the roses and sparkling bubbles and whatnot. ._. (Though there's one live action series based on the works of Akimi Toshida that fascinated me with its depiction of love between an experiment and his special childhood friend. )
Closed Thread

Tags
shounen-ai