2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.04%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-04-04, 12:10   Link #61
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
Hmm... they might be brewing up a second coming of the Max/Milia romance, with Hayate playing the genius rookie that infuriates and fascinates the traditionally trained and seasoned Mirage.
Does this include a knife fight and an arcade contest? People might have forgotten, but Milia used to live on arcade earnings before she was married and comissioned as an officer.

Come to think of it, Hayate has blue hair!!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 12:17   Link #62
wissenschaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Oh man, if Sidonia was ever able to get a hold of Macross weapons & tech...

Now why aten't they in SRW yet!?

Wait wait... don't jinx it!!

- Tak
In fact, Misa started off as rather cold to Hikaru so it was less a love triangle and more like a minor miracle that this relationship worked out. lol
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 12:22   Link #63
xeviouses

Quote:
Does this include a knife fight and an arcade contest? People might have forgotten, but Milia used to live on arcade earnings before she was married and comissioned as an officer.

- Tak
I see it more as an apple loading contest and dance fight.

Oh god parallels are there alright, the second coming of Max.

Quote:
Mikumo appears to do something similar with all of her hair while she sings- and Ranka could do something like that too, apparently. How many of these Protoculture-seeded races have tentacle hair, and should the humans be worried?
It's probably just the holo-costume changing the color of her hair to be shout out to Sheryl and to some extent animation quirks.

And no I'm not excited or scared by the concept of tentacle hair. Not one bit.
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 12:50   Link #64
Fairy Water

This series is just weird... I think the first ep made more impact than 1st ep of Frontier but I'm not sure how to feel about it if I haven't watched previous series :/

The technology and holo-transformation are weird, the characters are weird (Only the protagonist and the heroine are weird, all those support characters are just like stereotype of a idol series would have). I feel like seeing a colorful plot hole in front of my eyes.

Idol group is really a trend now huh? All the girls are designed to be Mikumo's background. Her design is totally on a whole new level. How would she fall for Hayate?
Fairy Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 13:03   Link #65
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy Water View Post
Her design is totally on a whole new level. How would she fall for Hayate?
It'd be a waste if she falls for Hayate too considering Frejya & Mirage are already "booked" for him. On the other hand, I think the bishie-enemies could use some lovin' and Mikumo is ripe for that if the show wanna go that way.
Old 2016-04-04, 13:37   Link #66
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wissenschaft View Post
Hayata is a newtype so naked dream sequences in the middle of battle are mandatory. :P
As long as he doesn't start screaming "Kimochiiii!" I'll be fine.
Old 2016-04-04, 13:41   Link #67
Gravitas Free Zone

Yack, so many replies:

Max/Milia v2: But we already homaged this with Mikhail and Klan!

I would be highly amused if the third leg of the love triangle was one of the Aerial Knights. Perhaps Freyja left out major details in her story about some sort of betrothal to the apple farm heir.

Hayate's natural skill: It would make sense if the Work Destroid's controls corresponded to the VF's Battroid mode, but I don't see how he knows how to fly the thing (probably some unexplained backstory), and he has the trippy glowy naked moment after they've already taken off.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 14:01   Link #68
Tenzen12

He does? It looked to me that he tried and got shot down
Old 2016-04-04, 14:09   Link #69
.Mero

*comes crawling out of unde rhis rock

Another Macross \o/ another reason to come back to animesuki again

Nice first episode, music is catching, voices seem solid. and we get a tie in with with the 2 greatest Pilots in the Macross universe.

Got a better feel to it then the first episode of frontier for me. And i'm big enough of a fanboy that i can look past the AKB0048 elements added to it :P

Can't wait to see more
.Mero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 14:16   Link #70
Hmm....

So Ep1 content (by that, I meant the last 3 minutes that wasn't in preview episode, correct me if there are something else) totally consist of valkyrie action, as if they try to rebuke any criticism of too many idol, not enough mech. The action itself is actually great, however it doesn't add much in term of story. We only switch from one cliffhanger to another. I don't know why they bother extend EP1. I actually like the previous cliffhanger better. It empathize more on Freyja. Then, all mech action can start in episode 2. Well, unless they plan to do timeskip and end this conflict abruptly in EP2.

I don't find it strange that a civilian destroid pilot can fly a fighter form. The control should be pretty streamline in those day. Considering, we almost achieve it nowaday with video game vs military UAV.

That and fighter mode is pretty much a battleroid laying flat cruising through an empty sky, no ? A conventional fighter pilot that can control battleroid mode was doing a more wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
Let's see who comes out of this best:

Hikaru Ichijo: Experienced civilian aerobatic pilot. Falls asleep in cockpit of intact VF-1. Quickly grasps basic flying of VF-1, totally unprepared for combat and Battroid mode.

Shin Kudo: Experienced military fighter pilot. Takes over severely battle-damaged VF-0. Makes some minor attacks before VF is disabled.

Alto Saotome: In flight training at high school. Takes over slightly battle-damaged VF-25. Makes some minor attacks before being rescued.

Hayate Immelman: As far as we know, a skilled Work Destroid operator. Takes over a moderately battle-damaged VF-171. Completely outclasses multiple Regults and a Glaug in physical combat, transforms and flies fighter before having a weird glowing naked moment and having VF disabled.

...Hayate seems to be in the lead here.
No Neki Basara on the list ? lol
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 14:17   Link #71
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
As long as he doesn't start screaming "Kimochiiii!" I'll be fine.
I can always use more Aquarion in my Macross.

(What? That would be like, the ultimate... everything.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 15:27   Link #72
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
According to Kawamori, your perspective should be fine coz Macross 7 is the Macross series that he's been wanting to make as both SDF & DYRL still somewhat disappointed him.

But since my first foray into the franchise is the very first SDF, I tend to prefer the Ace Combat-element. I'm still fine with the pop-songs (and Fire Bomber's rock songs, hell yeah!!). But dancing valks and dancing idols on the battlefield......... *shakes head*
While I'll admit the flashy battlefield performance is pushing it a bit for me as well, how can you not find valkyrie back up dancers awesome?

(Though actually the concept has been experimented with before. They've been taken down from youtube, but at one time there were some CGI videos from a Macross Frontier Pachinko game that had valkyries incorporated into Ranka and Sheryl's performances. In Ranka's case they were dancing in battroid mode behind her, and in Sheryl's case Alto's Valkyrie followed her hand movements in Gerwalk mode before shifting into Fighter mode and rocketing skyward when she threw her arm up. It was kind of cool, despite how horrific Sheryl looks in CG.)
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 15:33   Link #73
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
No Neki Basara on the list ? lol
Basara didn't fall into the cockpit.

And yeah, Hayate gets shot down, but my point is that few of the others flew much at all on their first time out, except for Hikaru, and he screwed up Battroid mode instead.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 15:47   Link #74
Alhazred

Quote:

- Tak
Also note, the Immelmann turn, for which Hayate is probably named, is itself named after Max Immelmann.

Max Jenius
Max Immelmann
Hayate Immelmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
It's probably just the holo-costume changing the color of her hair to be shout out to Sheryl and to some extent animation quirks.

And no I'm not excited or scared by the concept of tentacle hair. Not one bit.
I wasn't referring to the color change (though both in and out of disguise Mikumo has two-tone hair, just like Freyja- and somewhat reminiscent of the streaks on the apples that are exported from Windermere...) I was referring to the fact that when she goes into costume her hair, in addition to glowing, goes from free-flowing to forming rigidly defined 'wing' shapes that fan out behind her. That might also be holography, true, but i would still bet on it being because of hair tentacles.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-04, 17:20   Link #75
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I don't know, in the end I thought it was a fun scene having Hayate dancing around like that during the fight . Didn't feel it was pushing my belief beyond measure. Mostly just doing what he was doing earlier in the episode and I can buy that the controls were similar enough that he could manage. At least he himself thought that they were similar. And to be fair he's the guy with the experience using the worker machine . So I'll trust his judgement on that one.
Old 2016-04-04, 20:25   Link #76
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

That Hayate high...I swore I got Newtype flashbacks.

I was almost surprised not to see Alto joining in that piece of sky.
Old 2016-04-04, 22:04   Link #77
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
While I'll admit the flashy battlefield performance is pushing it a bit for me as well, how can you not find valkyrie back up dancers awesome?
“Awesome” won’t be the word that I use to describe it. If anything, it was “hilarious” or “amusing” which still have some entertainment value at least.
Old 2016-04-05, 01:43   Link #78
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

When Freyja's running up to that Glaug singing Ikenai Borderline...it's great stuff.

BTW...why no OP (If I Only Love ONce), ED (When My Rune Shines), or eyecatch?

Last edited by pinoy78; 2016-04-05 at 01:55.
pinoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-05, 01:46   Link #79
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I can always use more Aquarion in my Macross.

(What? That would be like, the ultimate... everything.)
We already had Sivil for that in a moaning voice "Ecstasy!".
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-05, 03:01   Link #80
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Volume One available for preorder at AmiAmi.

BD: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...MED-DVD2-32334

DVD: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...MED-DVD2-32335