AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-04-19, 23:43   Link #141
Elston3
Always have, always will.

Yas, it's no big deal. I introduced my kids to anime and I take them to the Sakuracon every year as well as watch series together...
I am also a fan of all the graphic arts, anime is just one.
Elston3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 07:11   Link #142
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Honestly though, we can look from the other side too. Is it all that comfortable if this person you somewhat knows start talking about his weird hobby on collecting animal tails from nowhere?

I mean, sure, people like me (tolerant, easygoing, and positively bored enough to listen to anyone -- being weird yourself tends to make you more accepting of weirdness in others ) would probably enjoy listening to the person's passionate expositions on the difference between the tails of a Bengal Tiger and an African Elephant, or how to distinguish fake rhino tails from real ones; but even I would get bored quickly at some point because I simply can't relate to the topic at all.

So in the interests of courtesy, I don't usually expound on the topic a lot. Like many others here, if asked, I answer. I have nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed about. But taking the initiative, actively "recruiting" new anime fans, wearing crazy ugly-looking t-shirts with anime pictures on them? Nah, that just isn't me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da~Mike View Post
Imagine going to a job interview at some fancy investment bank. If the first hobby (or if you even mention it as a hobby) you have is anime, you can expect to lose that job offer unless you're bloody outstanding compared to the hordes of seemingly normal applicants.
Nobody ever tells the truth in that kind of stuff anyway.

It's like one of those josei manga plots: the Seriously Successful Female Lead actually has quirky points she's reluctant to tell anybody about. And she'd better not, since those gossiping co-workers are, aside from already hating on the heroine, dangerously conforming.

I guess the world of working adult life is just far more narrow-minded than most would like to admit. If you're going to be different, you'd better be different in the good way, or else...
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 07:19   Link #143
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Honestly though, we can look from the other side too. Is it all that comfortable if this person you somewhat knows start talking about his weird hobby on collecting animal tails from nowhere?

I mean, sure, people like me (tolerant, easygoing, and positively bored enough to listen to anyone -- being weird yourself tends to make you more accepting of weirdness in others ) would probably enjoy listening to the person's passionate expositions on the difference between the tails of a Bengal Tiger and an African Elephant, or how to distinguish fake rhino tails from real ones; but even I would get bored quickly at some point because I simply can't relate to the topic at all.

So in the interests of courtesy, I don't usually expound on the topic a lot. Like many others here, if asked, I answer. I have nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed about. But taking the initiative, actively "recruiting" new anime fans, wearing crazy ugly-looking t-shirts with anime pictures on them? Nah, that just isn't me.

Nobody ever tells the truth in that kind of stuff anyway.

It's like one of those josei manga plots: the Seriously Successful Female Lead actually has quirky points she's reluctant to tell anybody about. And she'd better not, since those gossiping co-workers are, aside from already hating on the heroine, dangerously conforming.

I guess the world of working adult life is just far more narrow-minded than most would like to admit. If you're going to be different, you'd better be different in the good way, or else...
Unless you plan to work in areas related to the industry. If you open a manga/anime store, people EXPECT you to know your stuff.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 10:46   Link #144
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

If asked I won't hide it, why should I? I openly read manga during my breaks and such, or on the city bus. I won't be going around saying, hey you! I watch anime! Its just like anything you do in life, don't ask don't tell.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 18:27   Link #145
Dove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaarg View Post
If people ask me what I'm into I'll say so, or sometimes I'll even bring it up. I really have no reason to hide it.
^
I am the same way, but only when someone asks me, although; this goes with whatever I happen to watch.
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 01:36   Link #146
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

Yes, I tell people I watch anime quite often. I'm not ashamed of watching it and being an avid fan in the slightest. If some people thinks I'm a weirdo or something for liking/watching anime, that's their opinion.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 08:45   Link #147
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

All my friends know it. I'm usually the one recommending the new anime to them.
Old 2008-04-22, 14:39   Link #148
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da~Mike View Post
Imagine going to a job interview at some fancy investment bank. If the first hobby (or if you even mention it as a hobby) you have is anime, you can expect to lose that job offer unless you're bloody outstanding compared to the hordes of seemingly normal applicants.
Actually.... at least in the US it is *illegal* for them to ask that question or any others related to personal life. All they can ask is whether there are any outside restrictions which could interfere with your job duties and your answer is "No.". ... because in fact, *all human beings* have outside commitments that will at some point interfere with their "job duties" and the conflict is negotiated at that point.

The most dangerous part of an interview is the "going to lunch" with the guys --- that's where they're hoping you'll drop shields and reveal the sorts of things they can't ask in the interview.
Old 2008-04-22, 18:44   Link #149
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The most dangerous part of an interview is the "going to lunch" with the guys --- that's where they're hoping you'll drop shields and reveal the sorts of things they can't ask in the interview.
Of course, it also gives you the opportunity to determine whether you could possibly imagine spending multiple hours each day with these people. Just think of it as your chance to interview the employer!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 21:25   Link #150
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei
Of course, it also gives you the opportunity to determine whether you could possibly imagine spending multiple hours each day with these people. Just think of it as your chance to interview the employer!
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Unless you plan to work in areas related to the industry. If you open a manga/anime store, people EXPECT you to know your stuff.

I'm not sure what you mean by manga/anime store...
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 23:17   Link #151
Nemu

If they say something about anime, I'll tell them. =P

Signature by ganbaru
Nemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 23:33   Link #152
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
What he said. I honestly don't know what is up with this breed of nerdy types who just love to start babbling about their personal hobbies to people who don't give a flying fuck about them. I had one of those at a Japanese course I attended the past two years, I almost had to cover my ears in a mixture of pity and embarrassment every time he opened his mouth. And as soon as he found out I liked anime, Street Fighter and Super Robot Wars, he wouldn't shut up about it. Yeah, I like to talk about anime and videogames, but not all the damn time. I also like being able to talk to more than just one person in the whole damn room. Since I'm an extremely peaceful and easygoing guy, I never had the guts to tell him "Just SHUT UP already!", and neither did the rest of the people at my Japanese class, but I can clearly see how many people in his everyday life would tell him to shut up the instant their patience is tried.

So, in the end, people who want to know me will know what I like because I don't make an effort to conceal it, but I don't introduce myself with "Hello, I'm Lucas, I like anime, chocolate, videogames and tinkering with Linux!".

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-04-22 at 23:44.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 23:44   Link #153
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

I do, but only to those I spend most time with the other can find out by themselves
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 11:07   Link #154
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
What he said. I honestly don't know what is up with this breed of nerdy types who just love to start babbling about their personal hobbies to people who don't give a flying fuck about them. ...
That single problem has more to do with the lack of acceptance of people with "interesting hobbies" than any other problem. Its not just anime - its almost any niche hobby. When I walk into a game store, I can guarantee that I'll hear someone at the backroom tables droning on and on about some topic in a monotone while the other players are sticking hot pokers in their ears ... or making the store owner insane with some horrible perversion of a monologue that the speaker mistakes for a conversation. In fact, I can spot that type of person in a model rocketry shop, model train shop, knitting shop ... but most often in the comics/games/anime shops.

I understand that those people usually have some sort of dysfunction so I try not to want to kill them --- but they really make it hard for the rest of us.
Old 2008-04-23, 13:59   Link #155
Rookie103

If somebody asks, I'll tell them I watch it. Otherwise, I won't. Becuase nobody really cares unless they're interested. In which case, they'll ask.
Rookie103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 10:16   Link #156
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Hell no,cause for some reason,80% of the people i knew are under the impression that all animes are like Crayon Shin-chan and Doraemon.They will all like,hey how old are you to watch such kiddy stuff anyway?Wait till i show them animes like Elfen Lied,Gantz or Basilisk
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 23:31   Link #157
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Good point.

I'm not sure what you mean by manga/anime store...
I mean a store which sells merchandise related to manga/anime. I must admit that it's actually hard to find a viable business model, at least in Singapore.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 21:04   Link #158
maika_chan

Don't need to really...i'm always in front of my comp and most of the time, it's anime or anime related stuff (forums, reviews etc.) on the screen. I don't mind them knowing cuz I think anime is (or maybe that's my otaku side speaking).
maika_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 21:13   Link #159
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinatsu-no-miya View Post
Hell no,cause for some reason,80% of the people i knew are under the impression that all animes are like Crayon Shin-chan and Doraemon.They will all like,hey how old are you to watch such kiddy stuff anyway?Wait till i show them animes like Elfen Lied,Gantz or Basilisk
I'm not quite sure we're talking about the same Crayon Shin-chan if you think yours is for children.

And lol@another "violence = mature, therefore anime with large amounts of blood and gore are mature and not for kids."
Christ, I have a 12-year old cousin who sat through Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and it's more violent than Elfen Lied is, though it lacks the nudity.

I've noticed that an anime movie like 5 Centimeters per Second can be much more "mature" than any violent series. This is also from a personal experience with someone.
Anime that actually make you think are another example, Serial Experiments Lain, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc. 9/10 people who like ef - a tale of memories have no idea what happened in about half of the scenes in the anime.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 22:29   Link #160
gh0stmice
*Artist

no, i keep this a secret....

my secret indulgence. im just way to vain to let anyone know about my dorky hobbies

if a person walks up to me and starts talking about anime or dungeons and dragons, ill just turn and walk away.