AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Who’s Under the Mask?
Madara 104 32.91%
Madara’s Son 14 4.43%
Madara’s Clone 30 9.49%
Madara’s Ghost/Soul/Poltergeist given shape... 33 10.44%
Obito 59 18.67%
Obito’s Body, but not really Obito... 55 17.41%
Someone else’s body (not Obito’s)... 21 6.65%
Zetsu’s Love Child... 23 7.28%
Tobirama/Sarutobi/or anyone with a 'tobi' in their name... 16 5.06%
Bruce Wayne or other… 69 21.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-04-14, 10:42   Link #1
james0246

[Manga] Who is Tobi?

Recent chapters have definitely called into question the whole Madara = Tobi idea (that Tobi himself has gone to great lengths to perpetuate), so it only seems fitting that a new thread be made to discuss these developments.

This thread, unlike other Madara and Tobi threads, is set-up purposely to discuss the various theories as to who’s behind the mask. So discussions concerning the abilities that Madara once had, or that Tobi currently has, do not matter for this thread – focus only on the theories and evidence concerning Tobi’s identity and leave the “vs.” discussions in other forums.

This is a manga thread, so spoiler tags are not needed. Besides that, the general rules and courtesies apply. And, since this thread is dedicated to Tobi’s identity, please keep the conversation focused on this topic (and possible red herring).

I’m not going to lay out any evidence in the OP, but I do think it should be mentioned that the recent Data Book has separate entries for Madara as well as Tobi, and that can be as significant or insignificant as you desire…

For fun, I also added a poll. It's not really indicitive of anything, but polls are always fun .

edit: Due to a request from a Shippuden only fan, I have decided to open this thread from Manga discussion to General purpose. This means the manga information can be discussed, but all manga-only information must be placed under spoiler tags. I have updated the OP and title of the thread to reflect this fact.

Last edited by james0246; 2011-10-14 at 08:23.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 11:00   Link #2
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Well i would have to say that Tobi is in fact indead Madara. First he knows a lot about the uchiha past and secrets behind the sharinagan. Also many people refer to him as Madara, so the logic confirmes my theory.
Old 2010-04-14, 11:02   Link #3
Emilis
Sacrificing the elder

Lol, nice choices. You should have had an "all of the above" option though.
As for evidence, oh I and a dozen other conspiracy lovers have made the case for Obito. I'm not so convinced as I once was anymore, so I'll just sit back and if anyone gets on who thinks they are coming up with Tobito then I will push them in the right direction for the fun of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
Well i would have to say that Tobi is in fact indead Madara. First he knows a lot about the uchiha past and secrets behind the sharinagan. Also many people refer to him as Madara, so the logic confirmes my theory.
You know the Uchiha past and secrets are only being told by Tobi and he's having Sasuke kill off the only people who could verify or break his story (the elders and Danzou). If his identity is called into question, then so should the stories about the Uchiha. In fact his killing off of the only people who would know the truth should throw him into suspicion. And this is all besides the fact that he could have always known the real Madara or gotten the story from someone else. Even if not Madara, he's probably an Uchiha. They could have worked together.

All this to say him telling a story that no one can verify is no evidence for who he is. As for people calling him Madara, well the list of living Uchiha is supposed to be quite small. A powerful sharringan user comes along and tells people he's Madara, and they don't have an alternative culprit. Despite that we still have people like Kakashi saying "he claims to be Madara" or Kabuto "so I hear you are going by Madara these days".

Last edited by Emilis; 2010-04-14 at 11:14.
Emilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 11:04   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilis View Post
Lol, nice choices. You should have had an "all of the above" option though.
No point, since you can vote for all of them anyway (as i just did).
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 11:07   Link #5
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Yay, finally a new thread again. :O
Well, the savest thing to asume is, that Tobi is Madara, because there is much hinting towards it, and only a few things hinting otherwise. I am not voting yet though, as I am too unsure a the moment.

But, hey, I didn't know there was a fourth databook out, thanks for mentioning it.
Old 2010-04-14, 11:11   Link #6
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
But, hey, I didn't know there was a fourth databook out, thanks for mentioning it.
No, I am referring to the book released in 2008. While the info is technically old, I did not think many would have remembered, so I decided to add the brief reminder.
Old 2010-04-14, 11:18   Link #7
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Well since the revelation of the technique Izanagi which sacrifices your eye to save your life, I am inclined to think that Tobi is Bruce Wayne Madara.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 11:20   Link #8
Emilis
Sacrificing the elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
Well since the revelation of the technique Izanagi which sacrifices your eye to save your life, I am inclined to think that Tobi is Bruce Wayne Madara.
Yeah that being introduced is what caused me to loose a little faith in Tobito. It suddenly gave a decent reason for Madara to be missing an eye. Of course it could always be Kishi trying to misdirect us. Either way there are options now.
Emilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 11:38   Link #9
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I won't be a wiseass and vote for everyone, but I will take the liberty to ask, WHY a multiple choice poll! This being a manga thread, I assume spoilers are not necessary, so...since Kishi didn't take Danzou to great lengths (like being Madara), I highly doubt that he will go out of his way to somehow revive Obito. Not that it wouldn't make a good story, anyone under the mask being not Madara would be good, but I think it would deviate too much from the original purpose of the specific character, whose main element is mystery. It will either be revealed at a point that will serve as his last, or just stay forever hidden in a very Kakashi-like manner.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 14:32   Link #10
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

It can't be Obito because 1- One of Obito's eyes was literally crushed under a boulder 2- Kakashi has his other eye. 3- Obito is an insignificant character as a whole that was merely used to explained how Kakashi got his sharingan.

Anyway, Madara is Madara, I don't see a reason to doubt this. Itachi believes it, and the old as dirt (Tsuchi?)Kage recognizes him during that meeting, iirc there were others that recognized him right away from his chakra.

It was even explained how Madara have stayed young and alive all these years as well. There's no doubt in my mind that Madara is who he says he is.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 14:43   Link #11
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
It was even explained how Madara have stayed young and alive all these years as well.
Erm...really? I must have missed that.

Reference please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I won't be a wiseass and vote for everyone...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 14:56   Link #12
Casshern

Tobi is actually Madara's... mother... Tobiko.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 15:00   Link #13
Endrance
~Rock ☆~
*Graphic Designer

Im gonna say hes some specter like version of madara
Old 2010-04-14, 15:13   Link #14
james0246

Quote:
Anyway, Madara is Madara, I don't see a reason to doubt this. Itachi believes it, and the old as dirt (Tsuchi?)Kage recognizes him during that meeting, iirc there were others that recognized him right away from his chakra.
No, the Tsuchikage did not recognize Madara. Or, at least, he said nothing to indicate that the person standing before him was actually Madara. In other words, the Tsuchikage spook of Madara, but did not necessarily believe that Tobi is Madara (that is why he questioned Tobi's apparent lack of strength compared to Madara).

Additionally, only the Kyuubi has claimed to "know" Madara's chakra (but he never labeled Tobi as Madara). No one else has said they knew Tobi as Madara by his chakra.

Quote:
It was even explained how Madara have stayed young and alive all these years as well. There's no doubt in my mind that Madara is who he says he is.
It was never explained, Itachi (or was it Madara) simply said "chakra did it", and never mentioned it again.
Old 2010-04-14, 21:27   Link #15
Rei Kaiga

i do believe it is madara but ive notice, never have i seen tobi/madara activate his magenkyou(spelling)
Rei Kaiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 22:37   Link #16
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

He has had no reason to use it but he probably can since he wants to use Mugen Tsuyokomi.

Old 2010-04-14, 22:51   Link #17
iBeast

He's Madara.
iBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 22:54   Link #18
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeast View Post
He's Madara.
Says You . I think it's Madara's clone, the Jyuubi in disguise, or even a possessed Tobirama.
Old 2010-04-14, 23:19   Link #19
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Says You . I think it's Madara's clone, the Jyuubi in disguise, or even a possessed Tobirama.
It would be quite a cool twist is if the Jyuubi, can communicate with those with EMS, at the point of death the Jyuubi took over Madara and has been using his body to do his will and restore him. Like Sanary was used by Parista from Summon Night Swordcraft Story (hoping there will be a few who get the reference ).

Old 2010-04-14, 23:29   Link #20
JustRob

Since he refers to himself as Madara, it's only obvious to assume he is until proven otherwise. That being said this topic is about as useful as a "Who is Naruto?" topic.

Tags
tobi