AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-12-20, 01:58   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Sword Art Online - Character Discussion - Kirigaya Suguha

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Kirigaya Suguha related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Sword Art Online fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.
  • Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.
  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
  • Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
    • Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
    • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.
    • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-12-21 at 20:43.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 02:03   Link #2
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Y'know, looking back into previous episodes, it started to become apparent to me why Kirito saw a bit of Suguha in Silica. Like that time Suguha walked out of her room without pants on, which is a lot like how Silica nearly answered the door for Kirito clad in only her underwear.
Old 2012-12-20, 05:14   Link #3
Divini
Senpai!

^ Also if you look at Sugu from episode 1, her physical figure was similar to Silica's as well.

She grew A LOT in 2 years.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 05:23   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
She's one proof that a maidens's heart is fragile....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 06:09   Link #5
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

Character Analysis go!

I didn't care for Suguha much when I first read the novels, but watching the anime has really changed my perspective, especially when I realized something about her, that at least I find interesting.

Namely, the idea that she basically thinks she's the protagonist of a different story. Not consciously genre savvy mind you, just subconsciously through her actions.

As she's coming to terms with the fact that her forbidden love for her brother will never be requited, she stumbles into such a typical love story. She meets a mysterious, badass stranger with a good heart but a dark secret hidden in his past.

As a more typical story would go, they fight together, and grow close, but something is holding the strange boy back, driving him forward but keeping a wall between them. Until finally when he's at his lowest point, she's there to comfort him and keep him going, and he finally feels safe again and can open up his heart and share whats bothering him.

Or something like that. Suguha even follows this basic idea, trying to confess to Kirito and get him to rely on her instead. He notices though, and shoots her down, which brings everything to a horrible crashing halt, and it turns out Suguha is just a side character in someone else's story.

The other thing I find interesting about her is that her love for Kazuto (And later by proxy Kirito) was really all just based on a fantasy. At some point during the two years of SAO after she found out the cousin thing, the stray thought of "Maybe I'm in love with him", and that idea took root, slowly growing as daydreams and ideas often do when left unchecked.

But when Kazuto returned, she never really tried to get close to him or to understand him. His time in SAO had changed him immensely as a person, but Suguha, perhaps somewhat selfishly, didn't try to see this at all, and was too busy wrapped up in her idea of "forbidden romance" to consider how he might actually feel.

(Incidentally, Kazuto does the same thing, his heart still being stuck in SAO. While he's kind to Suguha, he never really gives her much consideration. This is the realization both of them reach during their Fairy Dance, I believe, and they promise to do better. )

So ultimately, when her romance fantasy was broken, she turned to her other romance fantasy, and that was broken too. Kirito never did a thing to break her heart. Suguha broke it all on her own. It's a heartbreak born of raising ones expectations too high, and the embarrassment at letting yourself be so stupid when it all comes crashing down.

.... Man I should really just got to bed. >_<
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 22:50   Link #6
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I'm really not fond of her, I found it difficult to sympathize with her because Asuna's situation was ten times worse. I don't like her design (hate it, actually). I don't like how she has so much screentime in ALO. I don't like how she was a fanservice object. And with the way the series portrays her is ridiculous:

"Let's spend 14 episodes setting up how much Kirito and Asuna bond and fall in love, and then bring in this new 'little sister' girl who likes Kirito too while Asuna in a coma while her avatar gets sexual abuse threats from a douche. Poor new girl! Her love is unrequited, isn't that sad?"

......you're kidding, right!?

NO, I don't freaking CARE about her stupid crush, dammit!!
I couldn't care less! Asuna's being tortured daily and you expect me to care about Suguha's feelings?

NO, anime.
That doesn't work. It doesn't.

That being said, I DO love her seiyuu. And I like Lyfa. She acted more mature and level-headed as Lyfa. Lyfa's design is also much more interesting.
Old 2012-12-20, 22:55   Link #7
Phantom

I just loved the fact that the anime's opening displayed a somewhat parallel similarities in the adventures of Lyfa to Asuna's adventures w/ Kirito.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 10:40   Link #8
Insane
Banned

I don’t understand the japanese anime fascination with being blood relatives and if you discover you aren’t then incest is ok
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 11:40   Link #9
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I don’t understand the japanese anime fascination with being blood relatives and if you discover you aren’t then incest is ok
.....because it's not incest anymore? The whole reason incest is taboo is because the couple would have genetically-unhealthy children because their blood is too similar.

But take that out and you are left with just a boy and a girl who are not siblings but two members of the opposite sex. I can understand this part....but the character was believed to be a sibling, thus treated as one for several years and then to suddenly switch to a romantic interest....yeah, that is a bit jarring...and quite unrealistic.
I don't think that mindset would be so easily switched. In the real world, the girl would be like "....okay....so he's still like my brother." Which is why I've never been that sold on the childhood friend romance thing either. I would KILL for an anime that features a little boy and girl starting off as best friends and STAYING that way without one of them going "omg I'm just realized I want to marry you!" .
Old 2012-12-23, 01:39   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I can understand this part....but the character was believed to be a sibling, thus treated as one for several years and then to suddenly switch to a romantic interest....yeah, that is a bit jarring...and quite unrealistic.
I don't think that mindset would be so easily switched. In the real world, the girl would be like "....okay....so he's still like my brother." Which is why I've never been that sold on the childhood friend romance thing either.
In this particular case, I think there are definitely factors related to Kazuto's being trapped in SAO that made the whole situation a bit more believable than the stereotypical trope. I'm not so sure that her feelings for him would be the same if not for the fact that he was basically unreachable for two years, she took refuge in ALO as a sort of attempt to get closer to him, and then his return coupled by with his "sudden" (from her perspective) change in attitude towards her... and this all at a pretty critical part of her teenaged years. So I can sort of understand how all this might come together in that form.
Old 2012-12-23, 03:20   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Kirigaya Suguha

* The girl that has a nice as*.

> Seriously, a girl who longs for a brother's or rather lover's love. She cared so much for his "onii-chan" not knowing that during her days of longing was spent by Kirito with his lover Asuna whom Suguha doesn't know existed. Now realizing her love can't be reciprocated, she continued to hide her feelings inside a world she believes will divert her from her grief. Destiny was so playful, for the one she meetsand learn to love Kirito-kun was the same person she calls onii-chan... What a tragity for her heart, but she must accept the fact that its better to have an oniichan to clinging to than nothing at all....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 02:22   Link #12
Zairuen

Sumimasen, I couldn't help it.

(Or should it be C.I.L.F.?)
Zairuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 17:41   Link #13
gibits
Endless

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zairuen View Post

Sumimasen, I couldn't help it.

(Or should it be C.I.L.F.?)
Man those thighs....
I felt sorry for her. From the moment we see her in ALO we knew there was no way she would win Kirito's heart. Like everyone said, Asuna's plight was much worse. After getting over her feelings she still helped her brother out and didn't really get anything in return. If you compare her to Liz or that dragon girl, she helped him the most. Seeing her sit alone in Agil's bar showed just how much of a raw deal she got.
I generally don't get brother-sister complexes, but I guess the fact that they used to be close, then suddenly distant, then comatose, sibling then coisins and then close again can be confusing and easily interpreted as love. Kirito also did some things that were very unbrotherly that certeinly had me thinking he was interested. Poor girl, I hope she gets some kind of love interest that can even come close to competing with her heroic brother.
gibits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 14:53   Link #14
Haiprbim
Banned

I think that she is pretty hot in a way.
Glad to see the ending of episode 25 about her and Kirito.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 20:34   Link #15
Ledgem
Love Yourself

It felt weird at first, having her essentially swap places with Asuna as the female lead in the series. Her voice actress did a great job and I liked her character designs - both "offline" and in ALO (although I agree with Chiibi about the fanservice - I didn't really like how there was so much fanservice around her, nor how the amount of fanservice in the series skyrocketed around that point either). You can see what's coming her way from practically the first episode where she features prominently, but it was still enjoyable to watch in that heart-wrenching sort of way. I felt terrible for her, even more so because there was nothing that could be done to ease her pain.

All around a good character. I was hoping for a happier ending for her, but was still pleased with how she turned out.
Old 2014-04-24, 15:35   Link #16
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

I thought of her affections towards Kirito/Kirigaya Kazuto similar toward a Florence Nightingale syndrome/effect. Though to be honest, I ship both girls with him.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-24, 20:04   Link #17
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I felt bad about Suguha from the moment we met her. You knew it wasn't going to go well for her and it was just a question of how painful things were going to get.

Still wish they had found a different way to use her character than a hopeless love interest. Still think even being alone for a while is better than what they could have done in setting her up with that sidekick of hers.

Hopefully if she plays a role in the coming season that things go a bit better for her.
Old 2014-11-18, 23:53   Link #18
Sassage

I mean, i dont know if its cool in japan, but cousins here don't bump uglies. Well, except for this kid in my school that we called cousinfu**** because he actually screwed his cousin, found out it was his cousin, and then did it again, but anyways,

Spoiler:
But i mean i feel like she shouldnt have become a main character. But thats just me.
Sassage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-19, 02:52   Link #19
Darthtabby

My understanding is that there are people in Japan who are opposed to first cousin marriages because of health concerns, but that in general first cousin marriages are far more socially acceptable in Japan then they are in North America though they are no longer commonplace like they were in the first half of the 20th Century (in fact they are quite rare nowadays).
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters