AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-11, 23:34   Link #1841
Supermutant

Regarding Clare and Raki and the pitter patter of little feet; I think Helen's comment doesn't on it's own prove that Claymore are sterile. She could have just said can't because she was utterly sure of it for reasons that may not even be biological. (Claymores don't seem to be very popular) Still, such results as sterilization are often the case in crossbreeding.

As for their aging; The AB don't seem to age, but their human forms aren't necessarily their true forms, and they're not exactly Claymores anymore. Irene didn't seem visibly much older when she reappeared ... though it wasn't as if decades had passed, and Miata and Priscilla were drawn as if they were younger than the others. (Sort of)

Was it ever written that Claymores don't age, or live really long?
Old 2009-01-12, 12:40   Link #1842
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermutant View Post
Regarding Clare and Raki and the pitter patter of little feet; I think Helen's comment doesn't on it's own prove that Claymore are sterile. She could have just said can't because she was utterly sure of it for reasons that may not even be biological. (Claymores don't seem to be very popular) Still, such results as sterilization are often the case in crossbreeding.

As for their aging; The AB don't seem to age, but their human forms aren't necessarily their true forms, and they're not exactly Claymores anymore. Irene didn't seem visibly much older when she reappeared ... though it wasn't as if decades had passed, and Miata and Priscilla were drawn as if they were younger than the others. (Sort of)

Was it ever written that Claymores don't age, or live really long?
Irene said it. Claymore don't age, they stay like they are until they Awaken or are killed
Old 2009-01-14, 01:30   Link #1843
Synyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJB View Post
That sentence has been changed lots and lots of time. I've seen Helen saying:

"So. What's with the kid? It can't be yours.

and I i've seen.:

"So. What's with the kid? It shouldn't be yours.

We need someone to translate the raw for us
I saw the anime with spanish subs and it clearly says (translated, obviously):

"Did you bring a kid with you? There's no way he can be yours"
Old 2009-01-14, 10:15   Link #1844
Ryuken
Claymore #01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
I saw the anime with spanish subs and it clearly says (translated, obviously):

"Did you bring a kid with you? There's no way he can be yours"
I also think that is the case with that particular sentence.
Old 2009-01-23, 15:54   Link #1845
OliverTwist

I've been thinking about ways in which Raki might be reenter the story sooner rather then later without adding to his chance of dieing (which I think would happen if he shows up too soon and is only tagging along fighting ABs).

I think there is a very good chance Isley is going to die to those demons and we're going to get at least a partial chapter flashback, if not a full one, describing why Raki and Priscilla left in the next 2-3 chapters. If those demons end up being specifically made to kill ABs like they have a way to shut down yoki or something that ABs can't defend against it would explain alot.

In that scenario Raki may literally be Priscilla's bodyguard and they may have split with Isley acting as a decoy. Regardless of who made the demons it might give Raki an enemy that humans might be on even ground fighting against. Plus since at least 4 of the ghosts have partially awakened they may be vulnerable to the same thing as ABs and thus Raki might be able to hook up with them soon.
Old 2009-01-23, 17:53   Link #1846
Awakened
Clare's #1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverTwist View Post
I've been thinking about ways in which Raki might be reenter the story sooner rather then later without adding to his chance of dieing (which I think would happen if he shows up too soon and is only tagging along fighting ABs).

I think there is a very good chance Isley is going to die to those demons and we're going to get at least a partial chapter flashback, if not a full one, describing why Raki and Priscilla left in the next 2-3 chapters. If those demons end up being specifically made to kill ABs like they have a way to shut down yoki or something that ABs can't defend against it would explain alot.

In that scenario Raki may literally be Priscilla's bodyguard and they may have split with Isley acting as a decoy. Regardless of who made the demons it might give Raki an enemy that humans might be on even ground fighting against. Plus since at least 4 of the ghosts have partially awakened they may be vulnerable to the same thing as ABs and thus Raki might be able to hook up with them soon.
Nice theory, Raki will actually be able to be the hero.
Old 2009-02-04, 16:45   Link #1847
Traun
Tetris

Posting cuz' I feel like it.
I haven't read the whole topic, for which there is no excuse ( 93 chapters ), but it's one in the morning and I feel like I need some brainstorming.

So about Raki defeating an Awakened Being, that is something that we simply MUST, for the sake of the plot, see. Raki is the odd character in the manga, he isn't traveling with a group, he isn't a superhuman and he is not carrying Excalibur. What he has is a lot of guts, a charming personality and most importantly- a moral standpoint.

Actually this morality is what sets him apart from the rest, from the very beginning he always did and said what he though was right, not what he must do ( in contrast with the Ghosts, who were "just doing they're job" and later "vendetta"). At first he may have seen obnoxious to some ( personally I'm his fan from the start ), but after the time skip he is now looking, for the lack of a better term, badass.

Unlike Clair and the rest he doesn't have a well defined enemy. He isn't killing monsters, hunting a great beast or stopping an evil organization. He is a guy who tries to get by and help anyone he can in the process. Hell, he is the only one who had to make a moral choice in the whole manga.
He lived a normal life, he lived with a Claymore, he lived with AB and now he has taken his own path. Raki has seen both side - that of the Organization and of the AO, he can make choices no one else can, simply because no one else could have his knowledge.
Here comes the interesting part - we know that Raki has a enigmatic personality, seen it time and again. What we need to know is how smart he actually is. His brains were complimented and he has shown a great ability in the upper workshop, however how smart he really is? Could he be the smartest in the Claymore world? Probably...this is yet to be revealed.

His brute force and speed are more of a interest at the moment. We know that they are exceptional, but nothing beyond that. For the whole fight in chapter 80 he cut a monster in half while he smiled, dispatching the monster as killing a fly. How far does his strength really go? He has trained with AB for god knows how long, a training far better then that of the Organization, so he will be used with facing them ( unlike any Claymore that has ever been ( with probably the exception of Teresa, but that is a topic for another time) ).

Can his might and speed beet a AW? No, no matter how long he has trained or how strong he became he isn't going to take that thing down with brute force. Will his brains help? What about his charisma? I don't know, but as I said, we simply MUST see how he does what he does.

The reason why I'm stressing the importance of this is because Raki is the end character. Sure, Clair is the main protagonist, but she doesn't have a well-defined goal, she goes with whatever people tell her to go( really shallow, I know), if at some point she must do something for herself by herself the lever for this will be Raki and no one else.

And a little word for his little companion.

The Priscilla ark is long gone. A new enemy has appeared, one that is distinguishably more evil and a new AB is about to be born that will surpass her power. For the moment she is a hidden plot device ( 5 cents that they are looking for a way to revert her to human again ) and it seems like Clair herself has gone over the whole "avenge the master" issue ( or at least it isn't stressed out like it was before, which does say a lot). Good luck to the girl, I like it when villains turn over to the light side( although she was never much of a villain to begin with).
Old 2009-02-06, 20:49   Link #1848
Supermutant

I'd say that Clare has more of a direction than Raki does at the moment. He's just looking for her, and she'll be looking for Abyssal Beings and probably to get the organization after she's found Raki. I also don't think its necessary for Raki to kill something like an Awakened Being, though he should put his skills to the test at some point.
Old 2009-02-06, 21:17   Link #1849
Traun
Tetris

Quote:
I'd say that Clare has more of a direction than Raki does at the moment. He's just looking for her, and she'll be looking for Abyssal Beings and probably to get the organization after she's found Raki.
Is he? It was stressed that he is desperate to find her, which means that he is probably pressured by something, and there is still the issue with his companion. That thing is going through something and I'm going to bet that Raki is tightly connected with it.
Now I don't want to say anything bad about Clare, I really like her, but she seems to go with the flow. At first she was a Claymore, she killed yoma and nothing more. Sure she wanted to become stronger, but she didn't do much about it ( she did train her yoki senses though, you should give her this). After the Organization backstabbed them she started to follow Miria's plan. The Prescillia plotline went to kingdom come, so the revenge part goes to hell. You see, she always followed someone. First The Organization, then Maria, she never pick her stuff and went her own way, she just follows.

It is not her fault though, it is probably just an oversight by Yagi, seeing how he is concentrated more on the side characters, then Claire at the moment.

P.S. I am really sorry about my English at the moment, but it's four in the morning ( not an excuse, I know ). I will probably edit it later on and comment on the other half of the post, I just lack the energy to do that now.
Old 2009-02-06, 21:31   Link #1850
shelter
Every word must conjure

Send a message via MSN to shelter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traun View Post
Now I don't want to say anything bad about Clare, I really like her, but she seems to go with the flow. At first she was a Claymore, she killed yoma and nothing more. Sure she wanted to become stronger, but she didn't do much about it ( she did train her yoki senses though, you should give her this).
I think both Raki & Clare are a bit lost at sea at the moment.

So Raki should show off some skills - but does it really matter? Considering that whether he meets a yoma or AB he will always have a certain kind of advantage because he's got Priscilla there. Raki's aimless wandering probably is a plot device to shore up the story till Clare (and the readers) is "ready" to reunite. And that reunion might signal the end of Claymore as we know it.

And, Traun, I get what you're saying about Clare. Quite true, if you ask me. She's used Raki as an excuse for her own motives before. We're not exactly sure how she feels about Raki now.

But after all that's said & done, I do hope that their reunion turns out to be a happy one
Old 2009-02-06, 23:36   Link #1851
EternalNeptune

It's not that I don't like Raki but its just that hes a bit annoying, especially in the anime. And bcuz he gets along well with priscilla, I know alot of people who hate him cuz hes friends with priscilla. But unlike them, i dont like him bcuz of that reason. I dont rili dislike priscilla cuz i cud relate with a bit. And her pre-fully awakened form is much more nicer compared to other awakened beings.
Old 2009-02-07, 00:38   Link #1852
Awakened
Clare's #1 fan

Quote:
Is he? It was stressed that he is desperate to find her, which means that he is probably pressured by something, and there is still the issue with his companion. That thing is going through something and I'm going to bet that Raki is tightly connected with it.
Now I don't want to say anything bad about Clare, I really like her, but she seems to go with the flow. At first she was a Claymore, she killed yoma and nothing more. Sure she wanted to become stronger, but she didn't do much about it ( she did train her yoki senses though, you should give her this). After the Organization backstabbed them she started to follow Miria's plan. The Prescillia plotline went to kingdom come, so the revenge part goes to hell. You see, she always followed someone. First The Organization, then Maria, she never pick her stuff and went her own way, she just follows.

It is not her fault though, it is probably just an oversight by Yagi, seeing how he is concentrated more on the side characters, then Claire at the moment.

P.S. I am really sorry about my English at the moment, but it's four in the morning ( not an excuse, I know ). I will probably edit it later on and comment on the other half of the post, I just lack the energy to do that now.
I disagree.
Clare has been doing her own thing from the beginning. She was always doing what she wanted. First to willingly join the Org. Ruble was surprised when Clare start following the rules. Clare was the one that decided to leave the north, then Miria followed her.

Clare is still after Priscilla, Clare does not know that Priscilla is with Raki. She still wants to fight Priscilla, but she know she needs to get stronger.
Old 2009-02-07, 05:03   Link #1853
Traun
Tetris

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelter View Post

So Raki should show off some skills - but does it really matter?
He didn't. He killed a yoma, however the poor creature never posed a threat to him. The chapter just show a powerlevel, some kind of entrance that make you look cool, nothing more.

Quote:
But after all that's said & done, I do hope that their reunion turns out to be a happy one
It will be anti-climatic if Clare doesn't go over hare hatred for Pris and can't reunite with Raki because of it, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Raki's aimless wandering probably is a plot device to shore up the story till Clare
I don't think he is wandering aimlessly and just searching for Clare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakened
Clare is still after Priscilla, Clare does not know that Priscilla is with Raki. She still wants to fight Priscilla, but she know she needs to get stronger.
Yes, we know. The thing is that that subplot is practically no more.

Spoiler:

They are leaving it out as often as possible. And as I said Prescillia is neither the most evil, nor the most powerful ( Riful toys is going to beat her in yoma energy storage ). Not only that but she is redeeming herself. The whole revenge thing is going to fall down like a castle of cards on their first meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermutant
I also don't think its necessary for Raki to kill something like an Awakened Being, though he should put his skills to the test at some point.
At least we agree that he needs to fight a AB.
Old 2009-02-07, 17:03   Link #1854
Supermutant

Quote:
Yes, we know. The thing is that that subplot is practically no more.
I don't think that's true. There's been little progression sure, as Clare killing Priscilla was a subplot, a long-range goal for Clare; not a hunt she was one every day. Regardless if nothing has happened lately, it's clearly still going to come to a head moreso than it may appeared earlier in the story in fact. Way back, Clare had no idea where Priscilla was, or had other engagements. But now, Clare (albiet unknowingly) is on a collision course with her.
Old 2009-04-23, 01:21   Link #1855
shippU

Quote:
I don't think that's true. There's been little progression sure, as Clare killing Priscilla was a subplot, a long-range goal for Clare; not a hunt she was one every day. Regardless if nothing has happened lately, it's clearly still going to come to a head moreso than it may appeared earlier in the story in fact. Way back, Clare had no idea where Priscilla was, or had other engagements. But now, Clare (albiet unknowingly) is on a collision course with her.
collision course, i luv that. while the story's been branching off like mad in many different directions/ possibilities, endings and openings, the entire Clare/Priscilla Imminent Clash still remains the crux of things. Raki being caught in the middle simply adds some much needed spice to an otherwise humdrum quest for vengeance.

okay, i confess i have next to no appetite for Raki and sometimes feel Yagi-sensei shares my sentiments or simply didn't know what to do with him for much of the story. i can SENSE his relief at being able to (finally!!!!) put a humongous sword in his brawny fists

Quote:
What he has is a lot of guts, a charming personality and most importantly- a moral standpoint.
Guts, some. Charming? Er... ok, i don't want to be beheaded by Clare so i'll just pretend that line doesn't exist but what 'moral standpoint'? if it means his earlier ability to turn on the waterworks at the drop of a hat and vociferously get in Clare's ability to function as a warrior (Elena scene, escaping from Ophelia) i have to disagree. No character in Claymore stands out as being particularly moral cos the world Yagi created seems to operate on a rather different plane of morality.

the problem i have with Raki is not his early lameness since his current incarnation as a BADASS WARRIOR is as ho-hum. it was his un-believability as a fictional character. he was like a walking pile of banality (was? hm!!) that never quite came to life. For me, anyways. feel free to disagree. The moment Clare took him under her wings, you knew with mind-numbing certainty that he was going to save her from turning to the dark side in a few episodes. what i didn't expect was that it would be accompanied by so many tears. Oh okay, he was still a barely pubescent kid so it's not fair to pick on him.

He's cute now at least and i do look forward to seeing him take a meatier role in Yagi's grand scheme of things.

Sidetracked again!! ggrrnn, back to searching for that elusive Irene-sama thread....
Old 2009-04-23, 04:56   Link #1856
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by shippU View Post
He's cute now at least and i do look forward to seeing him take a meatier role in Yagi's grand scheme of things.
I must admit. He is cuter now. But he's a bit of a pest. Myanimelist listed him as a main character and Priscilla as a supporting one. Geez!

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Old 2009-04-23, 07:34   Link #1857
clarakiss~
the toeto nomster~!!

raki cute? of course he is! lol a pest? i think not u.u the clare and raki reunion is what i'm really waitin' for. i wonder what clare's face expression would be like when she sees the newly improve hunk raki in the flesh.

it'll be short lived though when clare sees priscilla w/ raki.
Old 2009-04-23, 07:49   Link #1858
Korinov
The Burned Man walks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarakiss~ View Post
raki cute? of course he is! lol a pest? i think not u.u the clare and raki reunion is what i'm really waitin' for. i wonder what clare's face expression would be like when she sees the newly improve hunk raki in the flesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve2bT7yXijc

Old 2009-04-23, 08:42   Link #1859
Traun
Tetris

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarakiss~ View Post
You know, there are probably a lot of people named Priscilla in the world. It will be interesting if Clare doesn't realize that the little girl is in fact the AB. ( I bet Raki will hide it for a while )
Old 2009-04-23, 10:07   Link #1860
clarakiss~
the toeto nomster~!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korinov View Post
lol that was truly funny, but priscilla would stiff arm clare before she even tries something like that on raki.

@ traun - as soon as raki tells clare that her name is priscilla and clare touches her, she'll definitely know for sure.
Closed Thread