AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-13, 17:47   Link #41
Homura7

Can we stop already? Anyone can think whatever he/she desires, only the plot progression will tell who is right in the end. As for me, I'll keep my word that no Shichibukai be current or former will ever join the crew.
Old 2011-09-13, 17:55   Link #42
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
Can we stop already? Anyone can think whatever he/she desires, only the plot progression will tell who is right in the end. As for me, I'll keep my word that no Shichibukai be current or former will ever join the crew.
Saying that is one thing and it is completely fine by me.
Saying Oda is sending subtle messages in that picture is just...face//palm
Old 2011-09-13, 18:01   Link #43
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Saying Oda is sending subtle messages in that picture is just...face//palm
Hey, it worked with Franky, so is not that ambiguous
Old 2011-09-13, 18:59   Link #44
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Actually I'd prefer Decken to stay instead of Hodi since Decken's at least a bit funnier than that failsome Lucci/Arlong hybrid.In the end, they are both losers that cant do anything and I dont think it will change anything at all.Once the crew show us their 2 years of power on random losers, hodi will be bitchslapped to death by Luffy.
Old 2011-09-13, 19:29   Link #45
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I feel sorry for Wadatsumi... Doesn't matter how much drugs he takes, he is gonna get WORKED!
Old 2011-09-13, 19:43   Link #46
Rainbowman

Ministory: Pell and Chaka preparing for Reverie, whatever that is. I'd have thought Reverie is a place rather than an event.

Main Story: Looks like Decken may have reached his end. As for Luffy's technique, the Gum-Gum Snakeshot is really something. Incedently, what kind of attack is a snakeshot?
Old 2011-09-13, 20:20   Link #47
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Ministory: Pell and Chaka preparing for Reverie, whatever that is. I'd have thought Reverie is a place rather than an event.

Main Story: Looks like Decken may have reached his end. As for Luffy's technique, the Gum-Gum Snakeshot is really something. Incedently, what kind of attack is a snakeshot?
Reverie is when all the kings go to WG HQ for a get together.
Old 2011-09-13, 20:21   Link #48
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Why is Pell alive?
Old 2011-09-13, 20:31   Link #49
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Why is Pell alive?
oh my god, not this again.
Old 2011-09-13, 20:39   Link #50
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Why is Pell alive?
1) Oda generally doesn't like to kill off his characters

2) One Piece characters have ridiculously high durability
Old 2011-09-13, 21:53   Link #51
marvelB

Pardon my late reply, but to (reluctantly) go back to the Jinbei issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
We don't even know if Jimbei has thoroughly navigated the New World in the past. It's presumptuous to believe that he did, and thus label him a "mentor" figure in that aspect. In any case, it's reasonable for some people to feel he's a strong candidate for joining the crew. He's got a lot going for him, quite frankly.

Really, it isn't necessary for him to have conquered the New World like Rayleigh. I just see him as someone who's experienced enough of the Grand Line to have gained a lot of strength and wisdom, hence my assessment of him as a "mentor". I mean, what else would you call someone who was one of the most senior members of the Sun Pirates and served as warlord for the WG for several years? A warlord who was a devoted ally of Whitebeard, at that? I guess I'm just saying that I basically see Jinbei as the OP equivalent of Obi-Wan Kenobi (minus being a ghost, that is ).
Old 2011-09-13, 22:08   Link #52
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 639
That was not a bad chapter. Luffy looks crazy on page 11. I am glad Jimbi is strong. So far Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and Jimbi have handled themselves pretty well. I wonder if Robbin could kick the Hyouzou's ass easily? She did not look surprised or even threatened by him at all, and this whole arch has been a one sided battle in favor of the Straw Hats.

Zoro's fights, Clean or Messy?
This battle with Zoro and Hyouzou will be interesting to watch. I know the outcome already but the question is how skillful has Zoro become? Zoro before the two years always had one of the most brutal or bloodiest fights. He always seemed to take pounding after pounding in every arch regardless of victory or loss. But when you look at Mihawk, he has no scars or wounds that we know of. He looks like he never had a challenge in his life. I wonder if Zoro's fights will be less messy now that Mihawk has been able to advise Zoro on fighting? Zoro's fighting style should be also a lot smoother then before. Second I bet Zoro can touch logia users now.
Old 2011-09-13, 22:11   Link #53
Undertaker

I also don't see Jinbei joining SH. Not for any ability reason, just that I don't see how the story is progressing him toward joining the crew. To me there are more indications that Hancock was joining SH before than Jinbei has going for him right now and we all know Hancock didn't join.

It also doesn't make any sense right now base on Jinbei's personality and prior actions. I mean, he didn't join WB back then even though he considered WB to be a great man and was also Ace's friend. Currently, Jinbe is speaking on the same term/level as Luffy, if he join that mean he will be deferring himself to Luffy's position as captain, and I just don't see how that can happen at this point.

Personally if there is indeed a new crew member, I still think Shirahoshi and Calibou has better chance of joining SH than Jinbe.

PS: Gomu Gomu no Snake Shot looks pretty cool, I won't mind seeing Luffy using it again on land as well as other Kuji-inspired/modified attack, maybe Gomu Gomu no Slave Arrow?

Have to say the last shot where Zoro blocks Hyouzou surprised me a bit. I thought that Robin would be in danger, the it looks to me that Robin wasn't really worried about Hyouzou's assult and Zoro comment on the situation as if he was taking on Hyouzou more for personal preference than he was shielding Robin. Though I got to say all those large hands of Robin's looks pretty cool and I wish there was a more close shot of it.
Old 2011-09-13, 22:30   Link #54
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Really, it isn't necessary for him to have conquered the New World like Rayleigh. I just see him as someone who's experienced enough of the Grand Line to have gained a lot of strength and wisdom, hence my assessment of him as a "mentor". I mean, what else would you call someone who was one of the most senior members of the Sun Pirates and served as warlord for the WG for several years? A warlord who was a devoted ally of Whitebeard, at that? I guess I'm just saying that I basically see Jinbei as the OP equivalent of Obi-Wan Kenobi (minus being a ghost, that is ).
In that case, I absolutely agree with you. Indeed, Jimbei does have an abundance of knowledge/experience, the likes of which the strawhats have yet to achieve. He's considerably ahead of them in that department, so "mentor" is an appropriate title in that aspect. But even so, I don't think this advantage limits his chances of joining very much. Brooke, to a lesser extent, was also in the same shoes as Jimbei, in that he already had a previous career as a pirate and yet he still joined the crew.
Old 2011-09-13, 22:38   Link #55
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
What reasons are there in favour of Jimbei joining>?
Old 2011-09-13, 22:48   Link #56
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Exactly, other being a cool, kick ass character, there really isn't any story element to suggest him joining the crew compare to say Vivi or Hankcock or even Shirahoshi to this point....

Quote:
In that case, I absolutely agree with you. Indeed, Jimbei does have an abundance of knowledge/experience, the likes of which the strawhats have yet to achieve. He's considerably ahead of them in that department, so "mentor" is an appropriate title in that aspect. But even so, I don't think this advantage limits his chances of joining very much. Brooke, to a lesser extent, was also in the same shoes as Jimbei, in that he already had a previous career as a pirate and yet he still joined the crew.
Yes but Brook's crewmate were all dead and he was pretty much out of commission for 50 years so he is not as experienced as you makes him out to be. Also, with Hody out of picture (soon) there have to be a stable force to keep people form Fishmen District in place and I just don't see Hachi as that guy. But as I say, for someone who didn't join WB back then despise his immense admiration, what makes anyone think he'll join SH and defer himself to Luffy as an underling?
Old 2011-09-13, 22:48   Link #57
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
1) Oda generally doesn't like to kill off his characters

2) One Piece characters have ridiculously high durability
?

I don't understand, I remember Oda himself killed off Pell in the Arabasta arc in the manga. I know the anime deviated on that front, but I didn't think Oda would go as far as retconning a piece of his manga. (As far away in time as it is)

Quote:
oh my god, not this again.
You'll have to excuse me for my ignorance , I don't hang around the One Piece forum much at all.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:02   Link #58
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
1) He accepted Ace's request to look after Luffy, and was adamant on ensuring the rookie would live on. Furthermore, Jimbei feels indebted to Luffy for all of the assistance he's given (freeing him from Impel Down and taking care of Arlong).

2) He seems to be an exceptionally good helmsman

3) Has a deep and difficult past, much like all the other SHs

4) He, too, longs for the co-existence between humans and mermen/fishfolk (honouring the late Otohime's ideals, and trying to make them come to fruition)

Of course, there are also reasons going against Jimbei joining as well.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:02   Link #59
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
?

I don't understand, I remember Oda himself killed off Pell in the Arabasta arc in the manga. I know the anime deviated on that front, but I didn't think Oda would go as far as retconning a piece of his manga. (As far away in time as it is)

You'll have to excuse me for my ignorance , I don't hang around the One Piece forum much at all.

Pell's "supposed" death was usually sum it up to plot device As Oda didn't draw out how he survived. Most assume he split from the bomb at last second. But he was shown surviving the blast and returning to palace at end of Alabasta Arc and had made every appearance in every subsequent Alabasta scene.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:05   Link #60
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Pell was never actually confirmed to still be alive in-person in the manga, he's implied to be. It shows some panels of someone leaving a hospital and forgetting their hat, which looks like Pell's, implying he survived the explosion.

It's only in an anime-exclusive scene where he's shown to have actually survived as he's seen visiting his "grave".

And yes, Oda had a rule for the longest time about not killing off any developed characters. Of course that's no longer the case anymore.