AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-07, 14:14   Link #681
justsomeguy

AIC could have given Yuu a personality without any controversy. The genius of P3 and P4's MC designs is that the character designs themselves give them personality. Looking at official art and dialogue choices ingame, the P4 MC is clearly confident, and ranges from playful to sarcastic. He comes across as either "badass" or simply "ass," even before leveling up the social stats.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 14:27   Link #682
Divini
Senpai!

The way they're telling the story seems exclusively targeted at fans who have played the game before. It is MUCH more enjoyable for those that have. Though, if I have to give an award for the most faithful game->anime adaptation, this looks like so far to be the winner.

I hope the storytelling is executed better down the long run.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 15:13   Link #683
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Episode 1 was awesome! Loved every minute of it! It was like replaying the game but watching in more detail, lol...

Spoiler for Thoughts:
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 15:19   Link #684
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Not really pleased with the first episode. It is mainly to do with the very poor MC's role, as he felt very distant from the whole cast. That was pretty much my major worry going into this, keeping in mind the role he plays in the game. There's plenty of time for improvement, but if not then i fear for this adaptation.

Though i could easily watch all of this show for the new Meguro BGM's. They're pretty awesome, and fit quite nicely with the pieces used from the games score. I wouldn't be surprised if we heard a few of these new pieces in Persona 4 The Golden.
Old 2011-10-07, 16:05   Link #685
Dawnstorm

It's the first time I watch an anime from a game I actually played (not counting the looser stuff, like Street Fighter), and it's a strange experience. I'm sort of worried about the adaption, because they what they seem to cut is relationship building and characterisation. This is not a good idea, since that's the core of the story.

An example:

Anime: MC meets Chie at school, then they meet Yosuke who returns a scratched Dvd. Next day Yosuke crashes into garbage can...

Seems pretty random, no?

Game: MC on his way to the school on his first day is almost run over by biking Yosuke, who then crashes into the garbage cans. MC helps Yosuke (more or less, depending on the options you choose), they chat a bit. MC meets Chie at school, Yosuke comes in and returns the Dvd, which he damaged in the earlier incident. MC, being new, is embarrassed and leaves with Chie, but feels uncomfortable about leaving Yosuke behind...

For those who haven't played the game, if the anime had followed the game here, wouldn't the MC's silence seem a lot more meaningful? New guy, unsure of his surroundings...

Clearly, the anime doesn't have time for that level of detail (considering there are many characterisation scenes that were important to building relationships), but I'm not fond of the decisions so far. It seems they have little eye for the subtleties of the game. It all seems... disconnected and random. That peaked in the - IMO - botched way the MC awoke to his persona. (But I can't talk about this without invoking spoilers, so I won't).

I hope these are just beginning troubles, and they'll grow into it.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 16:21   Link #686
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
The way they're telling the story seems exclusively targeted at fans who have played the game before. It is MUCH more enjoyable for those that have. Though, if I have to give an award for the most faithful game->anime adaptation, this looks like so far to be the winner.

I hope the storytelling is executed better down the long run.
Hmmm, not necessary, I've only played P3P and even I can appreciate all the little things they've done- not to mention having no problems following the story.

And this being the Fall season's Week of Introductions, I've pretty much had it up here with character introductions -_- I'm glad they've at least ended it on a high note.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 16:23   Link #687
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
Game: MC on his way to the school on his first day is almost run over by biking Yosuke, who then crashes into the garbage cans. MC helps Yosuke (more or less, depending on the options you choose), they chat a bit. MC meets Chie at school, Yosuke comes in and returns the Dvd, which he damaged in the earlier incident. MC, being new, is embarrassed and leaves with Chie, but feels uncomfortable about leaving Yosuke behind...
Actually, MC didn't help Yosuke until the second day. The first day was Yosuke crashing into a telephone pole right between his legs, and later getting his balls crushed again by Chie. Both times, the MC decided to "leave him be" and walked away with hands in pockets.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 17:01   Link #688
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

The first half was more or less what happened at the start of the game but the whole part from when they all went into the tv to the end of that ep is totally wrong.
That was NOT how he gets his persona, freakin retarded. Also, the main character was not some sissy from the start who all of a sudden turned bishounen. What the fuck was up with that "I'm too sexy for my shirt" bit where he unbuttons his jacket, his jacket was supposed to be unbuttoned from the start. And one more thing, they're NOT supposed to be able to see through the fog AT ALL, unless they get their glasses. So how the hell did they run through it? Retarded.

Not the mention the first episode was rushed to maximum levels.

5/10 It can only get better from here. I hope.
Old 2011-10-07, 17:03   Link #689
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Actually, MC didn't help Yosuke until the second day. The first day was Yosuke crashing into a telephone pole right between his legs, and later getting his balls crushed again by Chie. Both times, the MC decided to "leave him be" and walked away with hands in pockets.
Ah, I misremembered. Thank you, for clearing that up.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 17:15   Link #690
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Yes, yes you did. That seemed more just a kid her age expressing "Daddy! Sooo embarrassing!" though.
I actually had a laugh at that.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 17:30   Link #691
Sides

I cannot remember clearly, but IIRC the glasses enable them to see through the fog clearly. At close distance they should be able to see or feel the presents of the shadows without the glasses.

Think some people need to realise that Narukami Yuu, Seta Souji and the MC from the game are actually different people. Narukami Yuu and Seta Souji have, or should have, already predefined paths, whereas the MC is shaped by the gamer.

Personally I think an adaptation should be judge by its own, and other source of information should not be required to understand/enjoy the story. That is the difference between a good and bad adaptation, in my view.
It is the first episode and I think people can enjoy it without having playing the game, because the story starts from zero and everything will be explain in further episodes.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 17:57   Link #692
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Personally I think an adaptation should be judge by its own, and other source of information should not be required to understand/enjoy the story.
It's pretty hard on the first watch to totally ignore the game while watching the first episode. Especially seeing as though it's one of my favourite games i've ever played. Plus there's also the fact that this adaptation was clearly made with the people that have played the game in mind, looking at all those little nods only we would understand.

Saying all that, i still think it wasn't that good of a first episode as far as first episodes go. Sure it was filled with enough information and action, making the viewer wanting to know more, though it just felt poorly done. As i've said, there's plenty of time for improvements, and for all i know, future episodes could make me forget about my thoughts of the first episode. I'm hoping so anyway, because i want to like this adaptation.
Old 2011-10-07, 18:14   Link #693
4Tran

Persona 4 - episode 1

This was one of the shows I was hoping would turn out to be good, and I don't think that it quite got there. There were some decent bits, but a lot of it felt perfunctory and a lot of it felt very very safe. Still, I thought that there was enough setup for the next few episodes, and I haven't been too disappointed yet. Moreover, given the quality of this season so far, Persona 4 is still better than a lot of the other non-sequel openers so far.
Old 2011-10-07, 18:19   Link #694
Sides

After seeing kamisama dolls, I kind of have some faith that the director can pull it off, and get people, who never played the game before, interested and maybe even convince them to go out and get the game. But that kind of depends how much freedom he got from the producers.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 18:22   Link #695
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
After seeing kamisama dolls, I kind of have some faith that the director can pull it off, and get people, who never played the game before, interested and maybe even convince them to go out and get the game. But that kind of depends how much freedom he got from the producers.
A lot of the staff comments from the episode 1 preview event said that they plan to have the adaptation stick as closely to the game. What's said at these events can always change though.
Old 2011-10-07, 18:25   Link #696
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
A lot of the staff comments from the episode 1 preview event said that they plan to have the adaptation stick as closely to the game. What's said at these events can always change though.
Really? One of the weaknesses of the first episode seems to be that it's too much of a slavish adaptation. It doesn't bode well if they plan to continue doing that.
Old 2011-10-07, 18:43   Link #697
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
A first episode, ladies and gentlemen! Wowzers! So, was it awesome or was it AWESOME!?
Alrighty, time to watch and see it for myself.
Old 2011-10-07, 18:49   Link #698
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Btw anyone hear that nasty rumour? (If anyone following 2ch, yaraon or 4ch)
I dunno if its allowed to link it here... so...
Old 2011-10-07, 19:57   Link #699
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author

So dunno if many people know this but we have an anime original character. Or maybe she is in the golden, who knows.
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 21:01   Link #700
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laith View Post
So dunno if many people know this but we have an anime original character. Or maybe she is in the golden, who knows.
I dunno. They didn't say anything about a second new character for The Golden. I guess they are doing this in each new adaptation-whatever for P4. After all, they said there will be new characters for The Ultimate too.

I liked this first episode: not brilliant, but it was nice. It wasn't exactly rushed, in fact the problem here was the very same in the game: you began knowing nothing, and sudently a lot of apparently disconected events happened one after another. It took like 4 days ingame to reach a little of organized exposition.

Btw, I just remembered there will be extra minutes for the first episode on the BDs, or so I heard.

Last edited by Zaresh; 2011-10-07 at 21:16. Reason: editing stuff, adding things, fixing more stuff
Zaresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy