AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-24, 00:16   Link #2101
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Aside from the expensive nature of models and importing them (and the need for space for them and building them) I want to see some of these in our local group to use at the gaming conventions. Not to game with as to get enough to use for the Star Blazers Fleet Battle System would be way too expensive (as we are going to try for a 100+ ship game this September between the Gamilon Empire and dark Nebula Empire with Earth Defense Forces aid to the Gamilons....using improvements based on Yamato 2199), but to just have one on the table to show what they are fighting. Especially the Domelus III a sit is huge and would attract attention.

Also if people still played it using the 1/72 fighters with Mustangs and Messerschmitts, just to be silly.
Old 2013-04-24, 00:17   Link #2102
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Yes, but what did the new people think of episode 3?
Regarding the preparation and aftermath of firing the Wave Motion Gun -I'm reminded of a book I read on the development of air power which made mention of a letter that more or less requested pictures of the bomb sight used during the A bomb drop in use in order to prove that the weapon had been aimed precisely and not dropped in a careless manner that would cause random destruction. My memory on exactly what the book said is fuzzy (I might be a bit off on the details) but I remember a line to the effect of "Improbably the obsession with precision had survived the start of the nuclear age."

Also, the protagonists in this show are horrible -they killed a cute alien kitty!

And now for something relating more to later episodes:
Spoiler:
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 04:18   Link #2103
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Also, the protagonists in this show are horrible -they killed a cute alien kitty!

And now for something relating more to later episodes:
Spoiler:
Yes, poor Cuddles didn't stand a chance... XDDD

As for the FC's atmosphere... you do realise that thing is submerged in Jupiter's semi fluid upper atmosphere, right? So, the unbreathable atmosphere is actually Jupiter. They do make some effort to display that fluidity in that they put some massive bubbles coming from the surface and in the drag produced by the Garmillas ships but they forgot to do it anywhere else... hell, there's even a river in the FC. But other than that, i love the episode. I tend to let hard science slip by when watching Yamato. I won't even mention Jupiter's immense gravity...
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 12:04   Link #2104
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Jupiter's gravity was part of the original version of that episode (episode 5 from 1974), but given all the other things the ship can do, gravity seems to be the least of its problems. Just having engine trouble was enough.
Old 2013-04-24, 13:54   Link #2105
macdawson

My problem isn't with gravity acting on the Yamato but unless the ships gravity control modifies gravity in the outside, Enomoto, Toyama and Iwata should weigh several tons. XD But let's just assume there's a "gravity bubble around the Yamato and let that slide. XD
Old 2013-04-24, 17:57   Link #2106
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
My problem isn't with gravity acting on the Yamato but unless the ships gravity control modifies gravity in the outside, Enomoto, Toyama and Iwata should weigh several tons. XD But let's just assume there's a "gravity bubble around the Yamato and let that slide. XD
I'm pretty sure if gravity affected the floating continent, normally, it'd fall into the center of Jupiter.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 00:48   Link #2107
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Very happy to see that Bandai is giving us mostly everything in 1/1000 (and 1/72) scale.

Now...if someone would only make a decent Kodai or Desler figure to go alongside the Megahouse Yamato Girls Collection figures I'd be one happy SBY2199 collector.
Old 2013-04-25, 01:33   Link #2108
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I know at least one person that would rather they also do candy toys of the ships. Mostly because they are smaller and cheaper, but they made some good quality candy toys for Yamato over the years.
Old 2013-04-25, 06:01   Link #2109
August138

The models aren't that expensive... and you can order them at discounted prices from HobbyLink Japan — with reasonable shipping rates, too.

Last edited by August138; 2013-04-25 at 15:53.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 07:40   Link #2110
macdawson

Quote:
I know at least one person that would rather they also do candy toys of the ships. Mostly because they are smaller and cheaper, but they made some good quality candy toys for Yamato over the years.
I wonder who that mad man is? XD I'm all for gashapons as far as character are concerned but ships, i preffer models. :-) I got the HGIF sets that were made for Macross F and those are very well done so Bandai can make good gashapons. There are a lot of crapy gashapons out There but i have a few, including the Yamato set, and if properly done, i would love a 2199 set. And if they went all the way and did a set with more cast members, i'm sure it would be a hit.

Last edited by macdawson; 2013-04-25 at 08:14.
Old 2013-04-27, 15:04   Link #2111
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And now for the full version of the Yamato 2199 TV OP

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Sounds very 80s or maybe 90s to me. Two verses, a metal guitar solo, and a guess a refrain.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-04-27 at 15:56.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 16:49   Link #2112
Bri

Quote:
And now for the full version of the Yamato 2199 TV OP

Sounds very 80s or maybe 90s to me. Two verses, a metal guitar solo, and a guess a refrain.
Thanks for that. It's quite different from the normal male voice, but I'm starting to like it.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 04:28   Link #2113
macdawson

The single has an all male and an all female version, along with the intrumental version. :-)
Old 2013-04-29, 01:27   Link #2114
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Oddly, I want them to somehow make the song canon. Like have it have been written on Earth while Yamato was away as like a song of hope. And then when Yamato returns have the people of Earth sing that as they come into dock to a stunned crew.

Also making it a canon song in the series would make it easier to have the same song as the opening for any sequels (since it was the OP for all three seasons in the 70s and 80s). Because the crew could actually sing it in the sequels like a new anthem for the Earth (which in Japan, it almost already is).

And there is a precident, since they've made the original ED song (Scarlet Scaf) a canon song as they played it over Yamato Radio and Kodai has played it a few times on the harmonica.
Old 2013-04-29, 01:37   Link #2115
smurfinaus
Go go go go Freedom!!!

Send a message via MSN to smurfinaus Send a message via Yahoo to smurfinaus
Quick question
Wasnt the tv series launched in Japan on April 7?.

Last edited by smurfinaus; 2013-04-29 at 01:38. Reason: .....
smurfinaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 02:38   Link #2116
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yes. Yes it was.

The first release in the theaters was April 7th, 2012 and on TV on April 7, 2013. The 67th and 68th anniversery of the sinking of the battleship Yamato in 1945.
Old 2013-05-03, 14:39   Link #2117
macdawson

Tim Eldred has reported on a bit of news on the artbook front. The upcoming book, set to be released in May 31st, was cancelled. In this case, however, this is good news. How? Because instead of one book we'll get TWO.

The amount of material is so big for 196 pages that they decided to split it into EARTH and GARMILLAS sides. The one bit of actual bad news is that this has delayed the release but given we'll get more stuff, i'll fight through the pain. XD

The EARTH book is already set for a July 31st release with a page increase to 264 pages and a price tag of 3.780 yen. As for the GARMILLAS book, it's set for a tentative release in September 30th and includes not only Garmillas files but also those related to Iscandar and Gatlantis. Both books are set to come with a slipcover.
Old 2013-05-03, 18:48   Link #2118
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Are there any previews of those books?
Old 2013-05-03, 19:59   Link #2119
August138

Quote:
Are there any previews of those books?
No. None. Not yet.
Old 2013-05-04, 11:24   Link #2120