Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just in case this whaler talk all sounds lunatic:

http://www.gotfuturama.com/Informati...s/lyrics.dhtml
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hKbl4AeqpM
Old 2009-11-14, 05:48   Link #4662
Autumn Demon
~

Company that caused the Supreme Court's 2005 eminent domain decision moves out of town.

Last edited by Autumn Demon; 2009-11-14 at 13:57.
Old 2009-11-14, 12:40   Link #4663
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

And that's why you should tar and feather any politicians that choose to get buggered by a corporation for sweet deals.

I'm watching Wal-mart bugger the little town next to me with sweetheart deals, tax breaks, costly road reinovations, and Wal-mart waffling about whether they actually plan on doing the project or not. Meanwhile, longtime family businesses and the downtown block are looking at being crushed if it actually does come in.
Old 2009-11-14, 14:31   Link #4664
ChainLegacy
廉頗

When Wal-Mart comes knocking on the politicians' doors, though, I don't see many of them refusing. Wal-Mart runs things they should have no control over.

And as that article shows you don't even have to be the king of low cost to buy US politicians. (Who knew? )
Old 2009-11-14, 18:01   Link #4665
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8360738.stm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Brazil and France have agreed a common position on fighting global warming before next month's UN climate change conference in Copenhagen.

They will pursue the goal of reducing industrialised nations' emissions to 50% below 1990 levels by 2050.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy and Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva announced the move in Paris.
Hope they can isolate USA and China like that we can forced USA and China to do soemthing more ambitious ! When I think that 47% of the USA people don't belive in global warming....
Old 2009-11-14, 18:52   Link #4666
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8360738.stm

Hope they can isolate USA and China like that we can forced USA and China to do soemthing more ambitious ! When I think that 47% of the USA people don't belive in global warming....
I think its a sign of the apocalypse that Britain and France agree on anything

But yeah... both China and the US have been utter laggards on the "hey, here's an idea - lets pick up after ourselves like our mama was supposed to have taught us". (and other countries as well.... but its a matter of scale)
Old 2009-11-15, 18:25   Link #4667
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

http://www.news.com.au/comments/0,23...56-421,00.html

Have you know anyone to be charged with stealing a freddo. Well i haven't but i guess you can for receiving the stolen freddo. Seriously, though, stealing is an offense but arresting the poor kid and holding him for 8 hours in a cell is appalling. I would of just made the kid apologize to the manager in front of all the customers and pay for the freddo.

Thanks Sephi
Old 2009-11-16, 00:05   Link #4668
Shadow Kira01

Okada visits U.S. Kadena Air Base to study base issue

Quote:
Okada's move to study the Futemma-Kadena merger plan triggered a protest rally earlier this month in the town of Kadena, where many people are already frustrated with the noise of the U.S. planes.
Old 2009-11-16, 11:31   Link #4669
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Obama charms students in Shanghai
Quote:
Shanghai (Nov 16): President Barack Obama pointedly nudged China today to stop censoring Internet access, offering an animated defence of a tool that helped him win the White House and suggesting that Beijing need not fear a little criticism.

The United States leader was speaking to an audience of around 300 young Chinese university students in a townhall-style meeting streamed live on the White House website, broadcast on a local Shanghai television station and carried as text on a major Chinese portal.

Besides Internet censorship, Mr Obama also talked about the US stance on arms sale to Taiwan, the war in Afghanistan and his Nobel Peace Prize in a lively question-and-answer session — his sole meeting with the Chinese public during a three-day visit to China as part of an Asian tour that has already taken him to Japan and Singapore over the weekend.

He then flew to Beijing where Mr Obama quickly drove to the Diaoyutai State Guesthouse for his third meeting with Chinese President Hu Jintao. Trade, climate change and economic issues were expected to dominate their discussions. The two leaders had dinner in the government complex and were scheduled to meet again tomorrow.

- ASSOCIATED PRESS
Excerpts from Q&A session
Spoiler for length:

References:
- Full transcript of Shanghai session
- Video of session (86min)
Old 2009-11-16, 14:04   Link #4670
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Barack Obama criticised for 'treasonous' bow to Japanese emperor
Quote:

At over six feet tall, the US president was photographed bending to nearly a 90 degree angle when he greeted the relatively diminutive Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace on Saturday.

Right-wing websites criticised the US president for showing deference to the Japanese emperor, with the Drudge Report running a banner headline reading: “Obama bows before Japan’s emperor”.
Old 2009-11-16, 14:33   Link #4671
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Well his bow was completely wrong also it broke the no touching protocol but its obvious he was just trying to show respect. Other than that its business as usual, It wouldn't be the start of a new week if the GOP wasn't hammering Obama about something he did the day before.

Love how the right broke out with their WWII speech about how his bow was an insult to all those who fought against the Japanese in WWII. sigh have they found a new planet that can support life yet? cause im ready to go.
Old 2009-11-16, 16:58   Link #4672
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I'd considered posting this shortly after it occurred, but ultimately I thought even mentioning it at all was making too much of a non-issue... but oh, what a firestorm in the press.

If the President had been trying to communicate any subservience, sure, it'd be a big deal. But he obviously was just trying to be respectful.

Treasonous? Get real. It was a terrible breach of etiquette, from several standpoints (Heads of state do not bow to each other, not from either standpoint... No touching when bowing...), but the Japanese, in general, are quite used to looking past gaijin gaffs to see the actual intentions.

The Obama Presidential family seems to be plagued by stately social faux pas. Unless they are refusing to heed the advice of their etiquette advisors, I can't blame them for it. My only question is why the people responsible haven't been sacked.

Admittedly, as some one who sees President Obama as the second coming of Jimmy Carter (and who doesn't consider that a positive description...), I do kind of get the giggles when things like this happen, but ultimately the man is the elected president of my nation. For the sake of him in the office of president and my nation in the international eye, I am livid with the poor jobs of the people who are supposed to be responsible for watching out for the President's tact.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2009-11-16, 19:51   Link #4673
Shadow Kira01

Ozawa not retracting controversial remarks on Christianity

Quote:
‘‘I stated that the basic philosophy of religion and the view of life are different (between East and West),’’ Ozawa said at a press conference Monday afternoon, explaining that in his view the East considers humans as part of the nature while the West believes that nature exists for humans.

The controversy erupted Tuesday after Ozawa met with Japan Buddhist Federation President Yukei Matsunaga and praised Buddhism. He also said then that ‘‘European and U.S. societies with a (historical) background of Christianity are bogged down,’’ and that Islam is ‘‘better than Christianity but it is also exclusive.’’
Old 2009-11-16, 22:54   Link #4674
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
And here he lets loose what this is about: East versus West. It has ZERO to do with religion. (And it's pretty funny to call Christianity, itself, Western. Most of its claimed practitioners, yes. The religion itself?). I'm really curious as to what definition of "exclusive" he was using, though. He's wrong any way it's taken, though using some of those claimed practitioners as examples it certainly wouldn't seem that way at times.

Unfortunately, these clashes have been going on for a long, long time, and religion has just been the excuse used by either side to perpetuate the culture war. Many Christian missionaries felt the need to indoctrinate converts in their western ways, and many converts were even more enthusiastic about adopting them, or, worse, trying to convert their fellow countrymen by force. Add in some political upheaval that will naturally be sparked by outside influences in such a top-down government and social system and the fear (perceived or real) of proselytization being used to prepare for foreign conquest... Well, they may have boiled folks in Kyuushuu for being Christian, but I think it's pretty clear there was more to it than mere religious differences.

But it wasn't just Christianity. Buddhism, Confucianism, and, to an extent, varying flavors of Shinto have similar historical examples. And none of them were really about religion.

No, Mr. Ozawa is simply a man who has a mindset that his East and the outside West are utterly divided, and blaming the religion is an easy, blanket explanation to justify his prejudice.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2009-11-17, 01:52   Link #4675
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I figured it was an overly shorthand description of "Western European culture" (in which the Imperial Roman Christianity played a huge role) versus the various Eastern philosophies (which have a rather different sense of priorities). It wouldn't be the first time a Japanese official was "too brief".

The sense of "nationalistic superiority" is common to a number of countries (including the US) so it can't be ruled out that he was simply putting foot in mouth in that way

The "boiling of Christians" had much more to do with the politics of control - Christianity was viewed as a form of subversive warfare by the incoming foreign powers (undermining the loyalty of the people). My world history professor in university really pushed the idea of cultural forces coupled with its manipulation by ruling forces. He taught the history from a Western European perspective but regularly flipped the POV for context -- it would be interesting to see him teach the course now that we are much more familiar with, for example, medieval Chinese events of interaction with the world. Sadly, he's long expired. To me, "Imperial Roman" Christianity is a far different animal than the personal Christianity many folks actually practice these days.
Old 2009-11-17, 20:14   Link #4676
Shadow Kira01

Obama, Hu see eye to eye on N. Korea, climate change, trade

Quote:
On North Korea, Obama and Hu said they agreed to continue working toward denuclearizing that country by restarting the stalled six-party talks at an early date.

''We agreed on the importance of resuming the six-party talks as soon as possible,'' Obama said, adding North Korea will be able to join the international community as a full member once it abandons its nuclear weapons ambitions.
Quote:
Turning to global warming, the U.S. and Chinese presidents agreed to make a final push for a successful conclusion of a key U.N.-sponsored climate change conference taking place in Copenhagen in December.

''As the two largest consumers and producers of energy, there can be no solution to this challenge without the efforts of both China and the United States,'' Obama said.
Old 2009-11-17, 23:24   Link #4677
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Drunk woman nearly hit by a train.

Seriously, what is up with train "accidents" nowadays; is this some sort of message?
Old 2009-11-18, 00:35   Link #4678
Shadow Kira01

Obama hinted at agreeing to move Futemma site offshore: sources

Quote:
Hatoyama also explained the difficulty of the relocation issue, saying his Democratic Party of Japan pledged during a general election in August to relocate the Futemma base out of Okinawa Prefecture, or even abroad.
Quote:
The DPJ, which swept to power after a decisive election victory in August, has promoted the idea of moving Futemma out of Okinawa, or out of Japan altogether, in an effort to reduce the burden on base-hosting communities.
Old 2009-11-18, 03:15   Link #4679
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus17 View Post
Hehe, true. At least dumb enough to watch too much TV (and take it seriously).

Well, guess when wars are waged, and propaganda campaigns are conducted, cases like this or the one in Germany (Murder of Marwa El-Sherbini) are inevitable.
The murder of Marwa El-Sherbini is an arguable by-product of "german"/"russian" propaganda (in my oppinion propaganda can be in a certain language but not bound to an entire society if the society itself does not promote hate against others - only a tiny minority of german society promotes ideas like Wiens). As a neonazi Alex Wiens is basically dumb as bread with an ideology that is against everything that appears different to him - so his hate would not only project on arabs/muslims it would also project on a every non-white person.
The only difference is the reaction of the society to this and the place where it happened. Since hate crimes against foreigners in germany are not unknown of it was the place (court) where the crime happened that got most of the attention first. This is not meant to be a justification but an explanation.
Old 2009-11-18, 03:39   Link #4680
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Drunk woman nearly hit by a train.

Seriously, what is up with train "accidents" nowadays; is this some sort of message?
Two days ago, one of my workmates came in late because someone got run over by a train one stop before his. It's really getting popular and it's scary imho. That begs the question then. If someone falls over to the rails, would you try to save that person if there was still time before the train?
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international