Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-06-26, 14:16   Link #3561
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
I wonder if they'll reanimate the aegis vs. strike fight since it was full of still-images in the original.
Keep in mind that it could have been an artistic choice to animate that sequence in such manner. In the end they did a pretty good job illustrating their anger and their utmost desire to kill one another. The intensity is there... And using single illustrations per shot instead of animating (12pfs) each shot does give the sequence a particular flavor and sets it apart from all the fight sequences that came before.

It is also possible that the animation team didn't have a lot of time because of other production issues, like problems with the script or trouble working out the combat choreography, but it's unlikely. Having worked in the animation industry I know that once the script is finished the designers start working on a "design palette" for the more important scenes first. The Athrun vs Kira fight scene would have had priority over pretty much anything else, so the animators should have had plenty of time to work on the animation. You can observe this in most animated shows, the key moments always have a much higher production value.

The budget could have been an issue, but also unlikely because this is Gundam. And if I remember correctly Seed had the biggest budget ever for a 50 episode TV show at that time.
Old 2012-06-26, 17:01   Link #3562
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
The budget could have been an issue, but also unlikely because this is Gundam. And if I remember correctly Seed had the biggest budget ever for a 50 episode TV show at that time.
The funny thing is, I always thought that SEED only have very very little budget due to the insane number of reused animation and flashbacks and recap episodes. Even other Gundam series, which considered fail, like X & Victory didn’t do it to that extent. I’ve seen Victory in its entirety and I can say that they use new animation each episode and 90% of the scenes in the whole series are not reused. It still has some recap episodes though. While in SEED, we can safely say that at least 30% of the entire series’ duration went to reused scenes and flashbacks.
Old 2012-06-26, 22:00   Link #3563
hero147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The funny thing is, I always thought that SEED only have very very little budget due to the insane number of reused animation and flashbacks and recap episodes. Even other Gundam series, which considered fail, like X & Victory didn’t do it to that extent. I’ve seen Victory in its entirety and I can say that they use new animation each episode and 90% of the scenes in the whole series are not reused. It still has some recap episodes though. While in SEED, we can safely say that at least 30% of the entire series’ duration went to reused scenes and flashbacks.
SEED had a very generous budget. I remember reading about how Fukuda was responsible for the revival of the dying gundam franchise at the time, which is why they poured a lot of money into production. Unfortunately, money is always finite and Fukuda spent quite a bit getting the copyrights of the music played during the series, leaving no room for other things...

I don't remember reading this in an article. It might have been in the Gundam Age General Discussion forums since they were chatting about Gundam Age's recent low ratings. But it would explain SEED's great music and recycled animation.

If this were the case, I wish they would have shelled out more money to make Gundam Seed better since it is one of my favourite animes of all time.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 22:13   Link #3564
monster

If SEED itself had a huge budget, I wonder why. It's not like SEED was guaranteed to succeed.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 11:06   Link #3565
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
SEED had a very generous budget. I remember reading about how Fukuda was responsible for the revival of the dying gundam franchise at the time, which is why they poured a lot of money into production. Unfortunately, money is always finite and Fukuda spent quite a bit getting the copyrights of the music played during the series, leaving no room for other things...
Don't forget the guest stars (e.g., TM Revolution, Vivian Hsu).

Going off-topic, how do you think GSD's ending would turn out if Athrun (instead of Kira) confronted Durandal aboard Requiem? At least Athrun had a justifiable reason to confront Durandal, and more importantly, he had history with him.
Old 2012-06-28, 11:24   Link #3566
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
At least Athrun had a justifiable reason to confront Durandal, and more importantly, he had history with him.
You don't need to have a personal history with a public figure to have a justifiable reason to confront the person.
Old 2012-06-28, 16:12   Link #3567
justavisitor

and I think Durandal always considers Kira as a more worthy opponent....
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 19:21   Link #3568
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Back to the original question: what if Athrun was the person to confront Durandal, instead of Kira (of course, with Kira standing by Athrun's side)?

One thing I can imagine is that Sunrise might reuse the animations from Athrun's final encounter w/ his father.
Old 2012-06-28, 20:48   Link #3569
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Back to the original question: what if Athrun was the person to confront Durandal, instead of Kira (of course, with Kira standing by Athrun's side)?
For a simple answer, I think Athrun will do as Kira did (trying to kill Durandal but got beaten by Rey) since he doesn’t want his girlfriend to be vaporized .
Old 2012-06-28, 22:44   Link #3570
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEtL-...&feature=g-u-u

It's KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ASUUUUUUUUUUUUURAAAAAAAAAAN TIME
Old 2012-06-28, 23:02   Link #3571
casval cehack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEtL-...&feature=g-u-u

It's KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ASUUUUUUUUUUUUURAAAAAAAAAAN TIME
Fully-colored Tolle Koenig decapitation...an improvement.
Old 2012-06-28, 23:30   Link #3572
hero147

They reanimated the strike-aegis fight, getting rid of the still-images!

Though this does lead me to believe that in the original run there were budgetary problems. Fukuda sure likes his music.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 23:53   Link #3573
Blazer-X

While I enjoyed the original sill-images due to their emphasis, I must say the new animation is a welcoming change. If only they could get rid of their problems with all the stock footage...
Blazer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 03:05   Link #3574
OMG_Zerg_Rush

I liked the original version of this fight it just went well with the music, the new animation just seems out of place with Saikisen playing in the background.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:52   Link #3575
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
Fully-colored Tolle Koenig decapitation...an improvement.
That was more than a decapitation... His body cut in half and his head was ripped off by the impact. Poor guy.

Haven't seen the original SEED. In fact, the Remaster is the first time I'm watching the series, and I must admit, I'm in love with the plot and the SEED universe. Can't wait for the Freedom and Justice to debut.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 04:27   Link #3576
casval cehack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
That was more than a decapitation... His body cut in half and his head was ripped off by the impact. Poor guy.

Haven't seen the original SEED. In fact, the Remaster is the first time I'm watching the series, and I must admit, I'm in love with the plot and the SEED universe. Can't wait for the Freedom and Justice to debut.
Whoa, to see SEED entirely with eyes unclouded by...bias. How can you avoid all these SEED spoilers, absolute opinions and nitpickings?
Old 2012-06-29, 05:39   Link #3577
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Don't forget the guest stars (e.g., TM Revolution, Vivian
Those are chump change typically. I doubt those cost more than a typical high profile VA.

In an interview Fukuda said most of the money was spent in special effects and cg... Which make sense since it came out when the technology was still new.
Old 2012-06-29, 05:40   Link #3578
monster

For all of its shortcomings, apparent even in this very episode which I love so very much, this is one of many episodes that make me truly happy that SEED exists. I love the still images of the original and I also love this new animation of the remaster.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:44   Link #3579
rakusukira

THE EPIC KIRA VS ASURAN FIGHT IS JUST.... it brings tears to my very eyes.

Seed has always been one of my favorite gundam shows (i watched every gundam out there) .. it's just that i really like the possibility of Seed's plot to come true in the future.. since test tube babies are now being accepted in the society.

One thing i like about Seed is how they value the characters' emotions over the conflict of war and giant robots. I feel like I'm Kira sometimes and it's fucking hard to fight with my best friend
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 10:38   Link #3580
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
Whoa, to see SEED entirely with eyes unclouded by...bias. How can you avoid all these SEED spoilers, absolute opinions and nitpickings?
Well, the general consensus on SEED seems to be good, though I can't say the same for Destiny. I'm open, though. Sucky or not, I'll definitely give Destiny a shot after I'm done with SEED. What I like in SEED so far have got to be the character development, the plot (which I find to be a little too slow pacing at times, but it's better than a rushed story, I guess), and the mecha designs, which I find to be relatively realistic. (Which is why I'm not a big fan of the Raider and Forbidden, the mace and scythe seem to stick out like a sore thumb amongst the other weapons of other MS)

EDIT: Oh, and on spoilers - I try to avoid them as best I can, but it's impossible to miss out on everything people say, so I'm not too bothered about being spoiled anymore.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep