AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-28, 23:16   Link #2781
gaiar31

Human in this series is Next Gen of Earth Human. Something wil different from us.
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 23:46   Link #2782
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering how old the Serenity system has to have been inhabited, and that was by a huge sublight coloney ship hundreds if not thousands of years prior...This would be the far future. And that is assuming the Serenity royals came from Earth in the first place. There is still the Galactic Empire out there that we've had little to no contect with in the series. All we've knowingly seen are humans or cyborgs. No known aliens (Aside form the cat monkeys that could be geneticly engineered for all we know.)
Old 2012-05-29, 00:10   Link #2783
Theo

Didn't they say that the atmosphere was thick enough that their main weapons would cause the air to "explode" around them? Also, the speeds that they were flying at seemed a bit slow, since Ai had her engines off and air resistance was slowing her down.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 01:33   Link #2784
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

If the designs in MoP ever made sense we'd never have Star Trek main computers that can go down from a single hacker.

So yes, its a Rick Berman producer intervention thing. Like how most of the novel is light-hearted TNG stuff, and suddenly the anime-original content reminds me of DS9.
Old 2012-05-29, 01:54   Link #2785
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe the Iconians had Lynn as their software programmer for hacking passing starships.

(Today it seems like a dumb plot, but back in the late 1980s, when most of us didn't have computers on networks, much less the Internet, and thus had little to no experiance with computer viruses and certainly no malware...just turning off the computer and booting up again from the backup seemed like a brilliant (if simple) idea. That and since the audiance was mostly unaware of computer viruses and no Internet...the idea of lax computer security was not really considered poor design, since it seemed like something that could only be done my some extremely advanced culture. Nothing that say the Romulans or Klingons (or even the Federation) could pull off at the time.

About 20 years of the Internet has changed how we view that episode's plotline and its solution to the problem (which was only come up with by observation of Data's reaction to the virus and his own creators foresight to have a reboot command in case of file corruption).)
Old 2012-05-29, 02:15   Link #2786
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
If the designs in MoP ever made sense we'd never have Star Trek main computers that can go down from a single hacker.
I wouldn't underestimate Lynn, if I were you.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 04:36   Link #2787
justpassingby

Illustrations from Matsumoto for the surviving characters of novel vol 3 ; Ai and Yayoi.

Old 2012-05-29, 04:51   Link #2788
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
(Today it seems like a dumb plot, but back in the late 1980s, when most of us didn't have computers on networks, much less the Internet, and thus had little to no experiance with computer viruses and certainly no malware...just turning off the computer and booting up again from the backup seemed like a brilliant (if simple) idea. That and since the audiance was mostly unaware of computer viruses and no Internet...the idea of lax computer security was not really considered poor design, since it seemed like something that could only be done my some extremely advanced culture. Nothing that say the Romulans or Klingons (or even the Federation) could pull off at the time.

About 20 years of the Internet has changed how we view that episode's plotline and its solution to the problem (which was only come up with by observation of Data's reaction to the virus and his own creators foresight to have a reboot command in case of file corruption).)
I recall clearly La Forge explaining that he shut down the whole main frame, then rebooted the main computer using an earlier backup. This is just like our Norton Ghost or any backup software we use today, that's why it didn't ring any Disbelief alarms for me.

Quote:
Maybe the Iconians had Lynn as their software programmer for hacking passing starships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I wouldn't underestimate Lynn, if I were you.
I can totally see it now:

Lynn
Commander
Science
Jam Sensors I, Scramble Sensors I, Mask Energy Signature III, Viral Matrix III

Old 2012-05-29, 05:00   Link #2789
Ryuudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Illustrations from Matsumoto for the surviving characters of novel vol 3 ; Ai and Yayoi.

So cute...
Ryuudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 05:08   Link #2790
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Considering what they've done with Ai since they gave her the helm of the Bentenmaru, I'd say she trumped physics with "Rule of Cool". But also we don't know too mcuh about this planet they are on. It isn't quite standard since the atmosphere is doing weird stuff on the race course, and it seems they can plan on that aread of time. So the weather is at least fixed enough that a planned route for purposes of making the race "badass" twice in six years (the course being the same both times) means it is not Earth like.
Why do I get the feeling that the atmospheric effects were deliberately triggered or somehow controlled?

Do they actually have tech for controlling a star's coronal mass ejections?
Old 2012-05-29, 05:15   Link #2791
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
I recall clearly La Forge explaining that he shut down the whole main frame, then rebooted the main computer using an earlier backup. This is just like our Norton Ghost or any backup software we use today, that's why it didn't ring any Disbelief alarms for me.

I can totally see it now:

Lynn
Commander
Science
Jam Sensors I, Scramble Sensors I, Mask Energy Signature III, Viral Matrix III

Ah, I know exactly which TNG episode you're talking about. It's the one where the Yamato blew up. A deserted planet once had an alien race with the technology to travel different parts of the galaxy via these "doorways". And what was left over also sent out probes -- that often rewrote ships' software.

I'd say: Lynn can override the probe's software -- and overwrite it -- before it can affect any of a ship's computer system. In boss-mode. Then she'd take the doorway and hook it up so that she can head over to Jenny's place anytime she wants.
Old 2012-05-29, 06:56   Link #2792
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Oh hey guys:

More Space Pirates coming next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Ah, I know exactly which TNG episode you're talking about. It's the one where the Yamato blew up. A deserted planet once had an alien race with the technology to travel different parts of the galaxy via these "doorways". And what was left over also sent out probes -- that often rewrote ships' software.

I'd say: Lynn can override the probe's software -- and overwrite it -- before it can affect any of a ship's computer system. In boss-mode. Then she'd take the doorway and hook it up so that she can head over to Jenny's place anytime she wants.
You're giving me bad fic ideas!!
Old 2012-05-29, 09:28   Link #2793
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

You are getting my hopes up. I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you for that yet.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 10:12   Link #2794
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
You're giving me bad fic ideas!!
That's what happens when you cross two different Sci-fi stories. The end product can still make sense!

Now to throw Star Wars into the mix. Use Jedi mind tricks to hack people's brains.
Old 2012-05-29, 10:14   Link #2795
justpassingby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
You are getting my hopes up. I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you for that yet.
By surviving I mean they are the only named characters from the Yacht Club that exist from the novel that make it to the anime. .......They are kinda like mob characters.

Looking at twitter posts, Ai-chan sure has become popular. This doesn't mean I'm going to be happy if Sasamoto is going to be pestered to give more pages time to her.

Heck, I'm going to hate it if the old guy change his story/writing style because of the anime
Old 2012-05-29, 10:21   Link #2796
Kyuu
=^^=

How about Ai-chan getting a spin-off?
Old 2012-05-29, 11:06   Link #2797
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Didn't they say that the atmosphere was thick enough that their main weapons would cause the air to "explode" around them?
Even the atmosphere of mars (which is very thin) is thick if you compare it to the "atmosphere" of planetary space (which is also thicker to the atmosphere of interstelar space which is thicker than the atmosphere of intergalactic space).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 11:07   Link #2798
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Looking at twitter posts, Ai-chan sure has become popular. This doesn't mean I'm going to be happy if Sasamoto is going to be pestered to give more pages time to her.

Heck, I'm going to hate it if the old guy change his story/writing style because of the anime
If Marika still has the Silent Whisper in the novels, she could always hire Ai as a fighter pilot.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 12:07   Link #2799
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
By surviving I mean they are the only named characters from the Yacht Club that exist from the novel that make it to the anime. .......They are kinda like mob characters.
Darnit! Hope shot down. Oh well, back to enjoying random piracy.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 12:38   Link #2800
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

Not surprising...I mean, who doesn't like Ai....She is like pilot Nadeko or something to fans...

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri