AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2013-11-12, 19:55   Link #48321
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post

This...would not be as nice as you may think. If going purely off the Mechwarrior mythos, 'marriages' would have to be approved by the State. Genetic compatibility as well as the likely-hood of producing IS-compatible offspring would be regulated so much that having a child would be the same as producing a test-tube baby. They wouldn't want to leave things up to chance so they might try to manually manipulate the genetic code to produce the most desirable traits. This can be a 'dirty secret' of the upper nobility. Pilots who are 'manufactured' - like Laura, might actually be the top-tier in that world while the natural born pilots are 2nd or even 3rd class. Their genetic lineage is not assured so they can't possibly be 'more powerful' than those who have 'genetic lineages'.
No. It's probably going to be crapsack world. Though, if IS pilots effectively make up the elites of the state, the choice to genetically modify their descendants to maximize IS compatibility is going to be a self-inflicted choice... assuming that a majority of the IS aristocracy is willing to go down that road. The minority that object would probably either remain circumspect, or be purged.

I'm not certain why the manufacturing and genetic modification of the offspring of the upper aristocracy would be considered dirty, or a thing to be hidden, in a world where much of the old taboos have collapsed. It may instead be considered a mark of stature and power of the masses, especially if the means of genetic modification are scarce in the post-apocalypse.

On the other hand, the Upper nobility might still hide how deep the rabbit hole actually goes, especially if the dirty secret is that many of these nobles are not... directly biological descendants, but made to order IS pilots who, by various means took over the first "families" that emerged in the first apocalypse. But I am not convince that this is a secret kept as a class - rather, such a secret is likely kept within families.

Quote:
Another plot could be that the nobles/companies are trying to artificially manufacture the 'Orimura gene' or the O-gene. Legends have said those who bore the gene had the highest compatibility rates with the Cores since even before the Apocalypse. This is what the higher ranks want and pilots have died thanks to their experiments to try and draw out latent potential that they just don't have. Your choice if the Orimura line had been wiped out due to their monstrous potential and the other families/companies' fear of them. They might even go so far as to try and extract information from Cores 001 and 013 to help them but the Cores 'locked' themselves and are kept in vaults until they can figure out how to unlock them.
There is also the possibility that the descendants of Orimura are actually widespread, but given the risks of persecution, and the chaos of an apocalypse and the immediate aftermath, it's... almost impossible to trace or prove who is descendant of any of the Orimuras. The families who are descended from the Orimuras, if they know of the connection keep it a secret.

However, if this was set several centuries after Ichika Orimura's life-time, I think being a descendant of any of the Orimuras is going to be as common as being a descendant, of say Charlemange, for Europeans descended from aristocracy. Or being a descendant of Muhammad was, in the Islamic world. Being aware of that descent is another matter altogether.

Indeed, if the families currently at the top of the totem pole were aligned with the Orimuras, and defeated or neutralized families that may have attempted to threaten the line early on, loyalty to the Orimuras may well be one of the first connections that link them together. And their reward is a monopolization of the O Genes, which keeps them above their peers.

Quote:
For this story, knowing that the humans will screw up, Tabane will give them one last chance to redeem themselves by planting a fail-safe in the cores used by the Orimuras. If the Cores consider a pilot to be sufficiently similar to their original owners, they might unlock.
Hmm, but what would be inside these Cores, and how would it fit into her plans for redeeming humanity? I am not so clear on this part, unfortunately.

Quote:
The new Mondo Grosso would have to be the pinnacle of this new culture. EVERYTHING is put out the very best effort to get the pilots to win.
Hmm, the Mondo Grosso as a mark of the power of a family? That's an interesting way to go.

And lesser disputes settled in formalized duels. It's a status quo that is potentially breakable, if the scarcity of IS Cores and frames can be overcome. I think one of the most interesting settings would be a period where such a status quo is on the verge of collapse, if the world has recovered to the point that competing states or factions have begun to create their own, crude, new Cores and frames, to give them that manpower edge in their rivalries.

Quote:
Knowing Tabane, I'm sure she probably has some feature of the Core to cycle out radiation if it was hit with a nuke. She *knowingly* sent Chifuyu out against missiles carrying nuke payloads. I don't think that there is no self-cleansing system in place to cycle out any radiation that might be present. The suit was originally meant to go into space after all... I bet these cores run off some 4th dimensional form of self-sustaining fusion.
It seems to be the Cores run on "Quantum magic".

Keeping the cores running for millenniums, and sufficiently durable to survive a nuclear war sounds reasonable then - two ingredients needed for the setting to work.

Thanks.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 19:55   Link #48322
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Tempest, just don't tell me that preserving the genes mean encouraging incest...

And radiation would be the least we would have to worry about. Thinking, how long does it take for a single burst of light data coming from a Core to Earth with the distance is 1 light year? 4th dimensional is the only solution.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 20:15   Link #48323
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Tempest, just don't tell me that preserving the genes mean encouraging incest...
As a medical graduate I can safely say this is bullshit to the core.

Ironic considering what my fetish is, repeated inbreeding actually encouraged corruption of genes. It's a complex process, but genetic code are not eternal and prone to deviation and destruction.

Imagine this, you have a mold, you made a statue, using that statue to produce another mold to produce another statue.

Chances are after several repetition the final product are horribly flawed.
Old 2013-11-12, 20:25   Link #48324
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Of course I know that. And that's why we have clones. And remember a 2000s movie - I forgot its name - Human can't be born normally now. Just one body, brainwashing machine and a type of potion that de-aged people.

And who would use mold now? Didn't we have got 3D printer?
Old 2013-11-12, 20:36   Link #48325
novalysis

Hmm, after some further thought, centering the plot around Cores 001 and 013 might have some potential, but it depends on what Tabane placed within Core 001 and Core 013. I don't think it's the battle capabilities of these Cores that Tabane has in mind, if these Cores were somehow meant to be redeem humanity. It's very naive to think that redemption can come at the point of a sword alone.

Rather, these Cores may well take the role of the Memory Cores of the Mechwarrior Universe. Within Core 001, Tabane locked a library detailing the development and creation of IS Cores, as well as the progress of each Generation.

On the other hand, Core 013 contains the personal information of the Orimuras. It might also be of interest as a means of genealogically tracing potential carriers of the O Gene, as well as keeping the record of the exact DNA sequence of the O Gene. Although I doubt it's a single gene, but rather, various genes scattered over several chromosomes, and no doubt, all Carriers do not posses an uncorrupted version of the O Gene. The exact DNA sequence of the O gene would probably be of greater value.

It's also possible that these two Cores contain the contents of an entire library that Tabane deliberately created, and stocked as a apocalypse proof repository of knowledge that could potentially rebuild civilization.

Also, making it more interesting, perhaps the Cores have been unlocked at several times in the last few centuries, but never simultaneously. For the full value of the Cores to be realized, both Cores have to be unlocked, both Cores must have an owner regarded as sufficiently similar to the original owners, simultaneously. Legend claims that the Cores power would only be fully realized, if both of them are open at the same time.

But, with every successful opening, the Core gives access to some more of the information kept within. It might be ironic, if imitation IS Core replicas might have emerged, due to someone of Tabane's genius piecing together enough information during the last Opening of one of the Cores , and civilization to recover sufficiently, to make the production of the less advanced cores possible.

In-fact, given the requirements for the Cores to open, I think that it's likely that Core 001 (if I recall, it's Chifuyu's core) has been the only Core to successfully unlock. Ichika's core requires a male, and male IS pilots are extremely rare occurrences, and most of them are not even born in the noble families, and hence go through life ignorant of their potential.
Old 2013-11-12, 20:37   Link #48326
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

No no, Miner. That's not what I meant at all.

It's more taking the absolute best genetic material (traits, looks, etc) of both parents and writing the genetic sequence of their new child. Kinda like how one can pretty much design their computers over the internet, deciding what processors, sound cards, RAM, etc go into their own personal machine. By Preserving them, I meant that your unique DNA sequence would be recorded in the Vault so that when another potential pilot with compatibility same as yours comes around, your name will be on the list for them to choose your sequence to combine theirs with to sire children.

Now, some idiots MIGHT try to just combine with those who have similar genetic sequences but the ones in charge of the Vault will make sure that there's enough genetic distinction in the code so as not to ruin the genetic lineage.

As for the Orimura Lineage re-manifesting, there's always the chance of an Atavism happening. I know, I know this has an astronomical chance of happening in this fashion but hey, the universe is a big place...

As for the two cores (001 and 013) I know that 001 is both Shirokishi and Byakkushiki - the core that both Chifuyu and Ichika have piloted. Having the data of both a male and a female pilot contained within it would make it invaluable to anyone within the IS world. Core 001 would be the Holy Grail. 013, I think it's Kurazakura's core number. I may be wrong. Other cores would be Aka-Tsubaki's core for having the first Fold-Out armor thing and able to recharge shield energy but I think that's partial to the frame and Houki herself. Hell, any of the original cores would be carefully preserved treasures that cement the validity of power by whoever owns the Core and by extension, the pilots themselves. Imitation cores could be made that might be a little less than a Kurogane or some of the other training machines of now. A original IS would munch them completely in just specs alone, let along performance.
Old 2013-11-12, 20:42   Link #48327
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
And who would use mold now? Didn't we have got 3D printer?
Don't talk too high, using the printer may sounds easy, making the blueprint and modify as you wish is not.

Also, molds are cheaper in both large scale industry and personal project.
Old 2013-11-12, 20:45   Link #48328
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

De-evolution, huh? Possible, given extreme circumstances.

And the main trend of science in it? Biotechnology, Information,...?
Old 2013-11-12, 20:45   Link #48329
demino_hellsin
That one guy

we're already de-evolving.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 20:46   Link #48330
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Also, I know. Remember the news that some American decided to made a pistol by printing it? It costs nearly a million to do it!

Makeshift IS weapon... Any Idea?
Old 2013-11-12, 20:51   Link #48331
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

It's all decided by economy of scale. For now 3d printer is "THEM GADGETS" and thus expensive and rare, with all sort of bugs and complication keep appearing during it's utilization, thus making them extremely impractical and costly.

Besides, 3D printer is good if you want precision, not speed or cost.

Last edited by ZeroXSEED; 2013-11-12 at 21:09.
ZeroXSEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 21:00   Link #48332
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post

As for the Orimura Lineage re-manifesting, there's always the chance of an Atavism happening. I know, I know this has an astronomical chance of happening in this fashion but hey, the universe is a big place...
What about a deliberately induced Atavism?

Still, the problem is that, to get an owner similar to the original, you can't just create a genetic carbon copy, you'd need to raise him or her to posses roughly the same values, and perhaps even worldview as the original. And this is quite a stretch, assuming you even know where to begin.

Owning an Original Core is going to the mark of high nobility, and lineage.
Old 2013-11-12, 21:05   Link #48333
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

But does anyone wondering why Infinite Stratos was named in English? I had expected something more in the line of Latin for it.

Or, every Kamen Rider since Ryuki (except Hibiki) has some form of English for it. The invasion of an international language?

At least they still Henshin in Japanese.
Old 2013-11-12, 21:14   Link #48334
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Perhaps the Core itself could do it via a conveniently-timed 'shock'. Damn, I could come up with a more believable scenario if Kubo had written out the entire Ichigo/Kaien soul-thing a lot better but noooo, his dad was a part of the same clan, that's why they had a resemblance.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'd had loved to have this guy become the closest to Ichika via natural selection without all of the crazy genetic crap going on but that's not possible. Soooo, this only means that certain people got it on with the maids and then the maids were cast out for having children that were 'naturally borne' of the high-class.
Old 2013-11-12, 21:20   Link #48335
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Meh, just having another heated debate with an OC author. Why the heck it's so hard to find a decent writer these day with IS?

And the worse? He uses Kamen Rider.
Old 2013-11-12, 21:28   Link #48336
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Kamen rider OC tend to be worse than Naruto OC. Naruto OC at least tend to have unique powerset, if hax one.

Admittedly, the plethora of marty stu in I.S. fandom still balanced by the fact that most of them are truly original, if overpowered.
Old 2013-11-12, 21:51   Link #48337
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

But this dude, he wrote an Self-Insert fic. Not that I hate them - I have seen some good one with Fire Emblem, but the problem it: They never seen the big picture, instead choose to fufil their own wish in that tiny cage which we call canon.

Pss... Hurry up, StratoSpear! Never a fan of OC, but this situation is making me go crazy! IS fandom is in danger, that is a fact!
Old 2013-11-12, 21:59   Link #48338
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Show me the link then
Old 2013-11-12, 22:13   Link #48339
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Here go: http://fanfiction.net/s/9828556/1/In...-VS-Rider-Tech

Hypocritic of me, doesn't it? I usually praising every author I bother to give a review, but in the end, more than half of them is worthless.

... Say, have got this idea from reading a short novel. Basically, Madoka sedated Ichika and kidnapped him. She then create a facade world around him when he woke up: Her and Ichika is the only survivor of their family. Everything he had gone through is not real but just a delusion of himself. Heck, even his name isn't Orimura. All thanks to Madoka's brilliant acting. And just when he finally gave up and accept his new past, Chifuyu came to the rescue again. Madoka almost died, and confessed her passionate love to Ichika. He realized, and decided to save her, despite all her lies before.
Old 2013-11-12, 22:23   Link #48340
Rokumonsen
Fear the Spear

@fireminer
You just flamed the story yet you demanded more Faiz? LOL

BTW, IS/Game of Thrones xover, anyone?

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest