AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2018-12-09, 00:34   Link #1
Dark Wing

The Outer Worlds

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Obsidian Returns with a brand new IP rubs Bethesda's face in it!
Old 2018-12-11, 16:43   Link #2
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I want this to blow Bethesda out of the water so they realize how they've been screwing up.
Old 2018-12-11, 20:00   Link #3
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I'm looking forward to it.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-29, 05:01   Link #4
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Glad to see that Obsidian is on the rebound, they have a long history of getting screwed over by their publishers (Bethesda, My.com) and being underfunded (or just not remunerated). Now that they're a Microsoft game studio, hopefully they'll have all the assets required to develop more IP with good stories and actually see them through to the end.
Old 2019-01-05, 11:22   Link #5
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post

Glad to see that Obsidian is on the rebound, they have a long history of getting screwed over by their publishers (Bethesda, My.com)
Armored Warfare

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 14:02   Link #6
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Armored Warfare
I know, I was playing that game up until the onset of Balance 2.0, at which point I was getting very annoyed with what My.com wanted for AW. Heck, there were reports of OE posting new job offers because AW was keeping them busy and financed, then wham, consternation and a new round of layoffs.

From what we, the old playerbase, heard through the grapevine, My.com really wanted AW to be a WOT clone (but with a small amount of differences to prevent plagiarism lawsuits in Russia) so that they could more easily steal players from the latter...but OE was instead pushing for a more distinct flavor and separate identity (with maybe more RPG elements, such as storylines) and that didn't sit well with the management in Moscow. Rumor has it that My.com even withheld payment for the latest build even as they were launching the first Balance 2.0 PTS. That was an epic clusterf*** and the PTS I downloaded was horribly unstable because the My.com devs (who had by then very abruptly taken control of AW) had changed the CryEngine version, leading to a lot of bugs and outright crashes.

Oh yeah, I remember that night when the bombshell came through: I had barely downloaded the binaries for the PTS when we received the news that development was being completely transferred to Moscow. And the next day, the OE devs and community managers were gone from the forum. Hell, even the Twitch video chat (straight from Irvine, California) that was scheduled for that evening had been cancelled at the last second.

Got a lot of sympathy for the folks at OE, they've trod a really rough and beaten road.
Old 2019-01-05, 21:32   Link #7
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

From the gameplay I'm a little worried. it looks a lot like just fallout gameplay... the character even side steps like they do in FO 3- 76 when they move to cover.

This might be the same combat engine... If I suddenly have to wait 10seconds before my weapons finally switch, I'm gonna be very mad.
Old 2019-10-26, 15:00   Link #8
Dop
Mmmm....

Well, this is out now and so far I've been really enjoying it.

OK. Elephant in the room. it is very Fallout-ish in places. The dialogue system (your character isn't voiced and so far i've only seen them in the inventory screens) is very similar to the older Fallout games, where it shows you what your character is going to say (not voiced), and may have options to persuade, lie or threaten the person you're talking to.

However this uses the Unreal engine, not the buggy crap Bethesda have been using since Fallout 3, which is a major point in its favour!

Man, it's very pretty though. And the gameplay seems good to me.

The companions are more interesting, faced with a choice which would have a detriment to one party or another, it was talking it through with my then companion which swayed my choice.

Last edited by Dop; 2019-10-27 at 06:38.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote